Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End of Nations: Trion Takes over Development

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds has announced that development of End of Nations has been taken "in house" to give the MMORTS a more "polished overall game". End of Nations has been in development at Petroglyph for the past several years.

This announcement comes on the heels of the news that Petroglyph had laid off thirty workers earlier this week.

As End of Nations was reaching the pre-launch phase in its lifecycle, we officially brought the game development in house to Trion Worlds and will complete the development internally. Our team has been hard at work implementing many changes based on your feedback from the beta events. Keep checking back for more updates as we are looking forward to showing off some of the cool new things the team has been working on.

Read the full letter on the End of Nations forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    I expected this to happen seems like a  good move. Shame Petroglyph could not finish the game as it might have saved it from this.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    As long as Trion hasn't bitten off more than they can chew.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

Its Trion.  They're the only reliable MMO developer that exists right now.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

To each his own I guess...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Don't think it's about trying trying to d otoo much, the thing is EoN just doesn't feel like an RTS, It's seems more of a Action RTS or Moba RTS, Idk.. Not what I expected. I don't like LoL soo I could be completely wrong about how others will feel.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382
    Maybe it's because I haven't been paying much attention to this game but I find it odd that most of the time I hear about End of Nations it's mostly mentioned alongside Trion rather than Petroglyph except for now that Petroglyph are hitting hard times.

Originally posted by Ramonski7

Its not a to each his own situation.  Developers being reliable or not is something thats easily quantifiable.  Just because someone doesnt like the companies products for whatever reason doesnt make them unreliable.  I for example hate Apple with every fiber of my being, but to try to state that they dont make quality products would be foolish and stupid.

Give credit where credit is due.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

hope the game will become more Shattered Galaxy style now

didnt liked it in the beta state

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Its not a to each his own situation.  Developers being reliable or not is something thats easily quantifiable.  Just because someone doesnt like the companies products for whatever reason doesnt make them unreliable.  I for example hate Apple with every fiber of my being, but to try to state that they dont make quality products would be foolish and stupid.

Yeah, I have to back you up on that. While I'm not a huge fan of Rift, I cannot ignore the fact that Trion did indeed release a very polished and well developed MMO. This isn't something that is exactly commonplace in the genre these days.

It will be interesting to see what impact a studio like Trion will have on a game like End of Nations.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Yeah, I have to back you up on that. While I'm not a huge fan of Rift, I cannot ignore the fact that Trion did indeed release a very polished and well developed MMO. This isn't something that is exactly commonplace in the genre these days.

It will be interesting to see what impact a studio like Trion will have on a game like End of Nations.

To further add on to that, the game isn't jumping with population like some games, but they have consistantly developed large updates for the game in a timely manner that were polished as well. Showing if you love your games that you develop you can put the time into them to release solid and not buggy content

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by saurus123

Probably not. The is already far too much of a RTS than a MMO.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Probably not. The game is already far too much of a RTS than a MMO.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

i tested this early on and i was expecting a MMRTS but it turned out to just be a multiplayer lobby RTS. unless things have changed a lot since then that is :)

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

This is probably the best thing that has happened to this game, Trion taking over development.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

*bangs his head against the wall*

MASSIVELY

MULTIPLAYER

THAT'S ALL IT MEANS, IT MEANS THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE. IT DOES NOT NEED TO HAVE AN SKILLBAR OR WHATEVER "RULES" YOU'VE MADE UP IN YOUR MIND.

What next? People getting angry because an MMORPG has way to many roleplaying mechanics? :|

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

What's 'massive' about a player-limited team vs team arena game? Nothing.

Like I mentioned in the other article, this game just wan't fun. It's not the MMORTS people were waiting for. It became some generic RTT-MOBA hybrid, while they should have sticked to their original concepts.

Not that I really care. I don't play RTT games, only RTS, and to be an RTS you need to have the full thing: Resource management, base building, expansion, unit building, ect. None of this unit-only with population cap nonsense.

Give me a seamless, non-instanced MMO that is also an RTS.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Every person is entitled to his or her personal preferences and tastes. That's what "To each his own" means. Another way to put it: That's your opinion

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by Sciva

MASSIVELY

MULTIPLAYER

I am sure it actualy that part he has a problem with. There is nothing massive about it.

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204
    well, didnt care for this one anyway lol.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Originally posted by Cecropia

To further add on to that, the game isn't jumping with population like some games, but they have consistantly developed large updates for the game in a timely manner that were polished as well. Showing if you love your games that you develop you can put the time into them to release solid and not buggy content

Their patches have actually gotten buggier as time has gone on.  The conquest patch in particular was pretty bad.  SL has had its share of bugs too, but theyve been pretty fast squishing them.  Still, Trion isnt this saint of bug-free content.

But as far as the bitten off more than they can chew comment:

1.  Trion now either has to hire more people or take devs off of defiance or rift.

2.   Rift's dev team was built as a MMORPG veteran squad.  Tons of talents from different games.  They have experience developing MMORPGs.  That does not mean they will be as good at doing RTS.

Every person is entitled to his or her personal preferences and tastes. That's what "To each his own" means. Another way to put it: That's your opinion

Which is fine when we're talking about something that is subjective vs objective.  Whether or not you like candy apple red as a paint color for a car vs navy blue is a matter of personal preference vs taste.  But when we're talking about lets say how many lb's of weight a steel cable can hold before snapping, thats something that is measurable and quantifiable.

You can't sit there and go "well, i don't like john's steel company, so even though his cable can hold 600lb's before snapping, i'm going to say its shitty cable.  But i like ted's steel company, and their cable also holds 600lb's before snapping, but i'm to say its good cable".  It doesnt work that way if the discussion is on how much weight the cable can hold before it snaps.

John's steel company can have the worst service in the world, paint the cable bright orange and pink, and sell it for 2 times as much as ted's cable, but if it still holds the same amount of weight before snapping as ted's, you can't say its shitty cable.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    They sure are at risk of overextending themselves. 
  • Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Which is fine when we're talking about something that is subjective vs objective.  Whether or not you like candy apple red as a paint color for a car vs navy blue is a matter of personal preference vs taste.  But when we're talking about lets say how many lb's of weight a steel cable can hold before snapping, thats something that is measurable and quantifiable.

You can't sit there and go "well, i don't like john's steel company, so even though his cable can hold 600lb's before snapping, i'm going to say its shitty cable.  But i like ted's steel company, and their cable also holds 600lb's before snapping, but i'm to say its good cable".  It doesnt work that way if the discussion is on how much weight the cable can hold before it snaps.

John's steel company can have the worst service in the world, paint the cable bright orange and pink, and sell it for 2 times as much as ted's cable, but if it still holds the same amount of weight before snapping as ted's, you can't say its shitty cable.

While this is a funny argument, I understand what your saying, reliability is not an opinion. I also happen to agree with your views of trion even though I no longer play rift. But you intial statement was opinion "Its Trion.  They're the only reliable MMO developer that exists right now" you did not call them reliable, you said they are the only reliable dev right now = opinion ;) so to each his own is an appropriate response.

I happen to disagree with them being the only reliable dev right now. There are plenty reliable ones, however their products don't happen to tickle your fancy.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well then you are wearing blinders, there are other reliable developers out there.  As to Trion, I find their games only average.  I see little innovation from them, just more of the same.  You have to be willing to step out of the box and do what others are not.  Trion is not willing to take that chance.

As to End of Nations,  it is very difficult to make a MMORTS, those type of games don't lend themselves to the MMO theatre very well.