Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Project Blackstone Domain Snapped Up by Blizzard

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard Entertainment has registered a new domain name called "ProjectBlackstone.com". The new registration fuels the rumor mill once again that Blackstone might possibly be the name of the new MMO that has been known as Titan for the past couple of years.

What do you think Project Blackstone could refer to? Let us know in the comments!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Jason Bourne mmo.  or was that treadstone?
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    If nothing else, it is good early hype to ready everyone for an official annoucement in that the simple fact they registered an obscure doman name has everyone commenting on what it could be. I am curious. The term "Project" in the title leads me to lean against it being a fantasy title at the moment but that could be misleading. It just reads modern or Sci Fi to me. Is this Titan finally being revealed or a new thing entirely?
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    It won't be blackstone, or they would register blackstonemmo.com or blackstoneonline, etc.  There's no point in putting project at the beginning unless it was part of the final title. 
  • darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

a new trilogy in the making of a brand new game, as diablo, starcraft, and warcraft can only go so far.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    It's gonna be a mordern day themebox. TSW but with blizzard polish and now-how.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by bcbully
    It's gonna be a mordern day themebox. TSW but with blizzard polish and now-how.

Well, Blackstone does remind one of the old magic kits and books you could buy at hobby and game stores while project sounds modern or futuristic. You could be right and then again... However, that would be a death blow for Funcom. I would be interested in such a game.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    In my mind, the biggest story about Blizzard's new game is the fact that they have been able to keep a lid on it for so long.  That is a monumental achievement in the age of the internet.  Consider how long they have been working on it already and we know *nothing* about it.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Project Blackstone is nothing more than a splintered division of Blizzard from Activision Blizzard heading the WoW movie project and any other additional media projects (web shows, movies, soundtrack or contract work). They saw the awesomeness of Halo 4 [Unto The Dawn] and decided in-house is the way to go. And if it gets big, they don't have to give Activision a piece of the pie (hey new company right?)

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by muffins89

Blizzard is planning to make their own genetically modified assassins :O

Probably a good idea, since Blizzard has a history of keeping secrets better than government agency, lol.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 485
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Project Blackstone is nothing more than a splintered division of Blizzard from Activision Blizzard heading the WoW movie project and any other additional media projects (web shows, movies, soundtrack or contract work). They saw the awesomeness of Halo 4 [Unto The Dawn] and decided in-house is the way to go. And if it gets big, they don't have to give Activision a piece of the pie (hey new company right?)

Source.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 485
    Also, Diablo 3 expansion kthxbai.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Considering that the "black soulstone" was the main part of the story in Diablo 3, it will probably be the Diablo 3 expansion.

*Spoiler"

Adria's project in Diablo 3 was to obtain the black soulstone, absorb the essences of the evil bosses, and combine them within to form some type of Voltron-like evil power. At the end of the game, Adria escapes. The expansion will clearly be about Adria and more about the black soulstone (blackstone).

To be perfectly honest, I don't excited when I hear Blizzard. In fact, I sort of get angry. I don't know why. I don't like what they have become. I don't like their community. I don't like their games.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    I figured they were not doing any sort of d3 expansions for a long time due to how many problems they've had with the game and how disgruntled players are with it, but it's not a bad theory.  Nor is the 'branching off' theory.    Would be nice if we could finally find out something about Titan though.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Pretty easy to "keep a lid on it" when there isnt anything to show :)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

Considering that the "black soulstone" was the main part of the story in Diablo 3, it will probably be the Diablo 3 expansion.

Indeed, people are speculating on another site that it's a D3 expansion, it seems this is what the safe money is on and it has nothing to do with Titan.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Project Blackstone..... Hmmm I hope "Project" is only there because its just something in the works. That leaves us with Blackstone. For some reason any compound word with black way the forefront, my mind goes right to Blackbeard. A pirate, perhaps a pirate fantasy mmo.

If project is there otherwise, then yes TSW isk comes to mind.

Personally I'm rooting for the Pirate Fantasy mmo, BlackStone
  • gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    One of us, one of us
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    I wonder what happens if this new game does not meet expections, its gonna be do or die for them.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Could also be something to do with their old game Blackthorne. 
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Not going to speculate - not going to worry about it until it comes out. I don't want to be part of any rumor mill any more only to have everything get dashed and people getting mean and nasty about it.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by muffins89

ahahaha! well I've always wanted to live out my fantasy of being Jason Bourne

Honestly tho, I have no expectations at all. It might be a masterpiece like vanilla WoW, or more like some of their recent expansions which don't really appeal to me.

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616
    My guess is still on a Starcraft MMO.
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I heard it was a modern MMO and Blackstone is the name of the PMC that supplies mercenaries/spies to companies/organizations/countries to undertake missions or a group of missions with an end goal in mind. It will have both solo and group missions (the group missions will require a group makeup with certain skillsets in order to complete - there will be various ways to complete the mission depending on the skillset of the group covert/overt/nuke it/etc)

It will be skill based, no levels, semi-classless (meaning no classes will be decided on character creation but the skill sets you choose to branch into as you progress through the game will decide on you class - but you can learn new skills should you require it - there will be a skill cap so you cannot learn everything but you can 'blank out' a particulr skill tree to relearn a new set of skills). Mission zones will be open PvP, so your PvP faction will depend who you are currently working for... work for one particular grp a lot and you will be limited to that groups allies for missions. This weeks enemy may be next weeks friend.

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Originally posted by mbd1968

I heard it was a modern MMO and Blackstone is the name of the PMC that supplies mercenaries/spies to companies/organizations/countries to undertake missions or a group of missions with an end goal in mind. It will have both solo and group missions (the group missions will require a group makeup with certain skillsets in order to complete - there will be various ways to complete the mission depending on the skillset of the group covert/overt/nuke it/etc)

It will be skill based, no levels, semi-classless (meaning no classes will be decided on character creation but the skill sets you choose to branch into as you progress through the game will decide on you class - but you can learn new skills should you require it - there will be a skill cap so you cannot learn everything but you can 'blank out' a particulr skill tree to relearn a new set of skills). Mission zones will be open PvP, so your PvP faction will depend who you are currently working for... work for one particular grp a lot and you will be limited to that groups allies for missions. This weeks enemy may be next weeks friend.

This sounds great!

Where did you hear this?

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by mbd1968
    I heard it was a modern MMO and Blackstone is the name of the PMC that supplies mercenaries/spies to companies/organizations/countries to undertake missions or a group of missions with an end goal in mind. It will have both solo and group missions (the group missions will require a group makeup with certain skillsets in order to complete - there will be various ways to complete the mission depending on the skillset of the group covert/overt/nuke it/etc)It will be skill based, no levels, semi-classless (meaning no classes will be decided on character creation but the skill sets you choose to branch into as you progress through the game will decide on you class - but you can learn new skills should you require it - there will be a skill cap so you cannot learn everything but you can 'blank out' a particulr skill tree to relearn a new set of skills). Mission zones will be open PvP, so your PvP faction will depend who you are currently working for... work for one particular grp a lot and you will be limited to that groups allies for missions. This weeks enemy may be next weeks friend.

Source?