Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monitors for triple setup

GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371
Can anyone give a couple suggestions for monitors that would be good for triple setup, more affordable the better!

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Something like this would do you nicely www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-050-AS if budget is a consideration. Good monitors and the bezels aren't too intrusive.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Are you looking to put the monitors in landscape mode (e.g., 3 1080p monitors gives you a 5760 x 1080 resolution) or portrait mode (e.g., 3 1080p monitors gives you a 3240 x 1920 resolution)?
  • GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371
    I was thinking of doing it landscape mode, do you have any experience with portrait to tell differences? Thanks!
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by GrubbsGrady
    I was thinking of doing it landscape mode, do you have any experience with portrait to tell differences? Thanks!

Landscape gives a more wrap-around feel - you may not be able to see everything on your peripheral vision. It also minimizes the effect of the bezels, since they are only 1080 pixels long.

Portrait is closer to a traditional monitor ratio - someplace in between 16x10 and 16x9. But the bezels have a bigger impact, since they run along the long edge (1920 pixels).

Either way, it's the same number of pixels for a GPU to drive, so performance either way should be about the same. The main difference is in the impact of the bezels, and the peripheral view.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

I use a triple monitor setup but I don't think I would be able to give you much advice on the affordability side of things, I decided to go with 3 Dell U2412m monitors for my setup.

For what it's worth though, I don't have any regrets and think it was money well spent.

Yeah I like the wrap around feel of it so I think I want to stick to portrait mode. The monitor linked above looks good but I can't seem to find it sold in the US, anyone have suggestions?

It's a question of whether you want more vertical pixels or more horizontal pixels.  People say that horizontal is what matters for first person shooters.  For non-gaming uses--as well as quite a few games--you're usually limited by vertical pixels, not horizontal.

If you want portrait mode, then you have to stand monitors on their "side", which means that what would normally be vertical viewing angles becomes horizontal.  TN monitors have poor vertical viewing angles, so they look horrible in portrait mode.  If that's what you want to do, then you'll need something with good vertical viewing angles, such as e-IPS.  There are a number of different types of IPS monitors, but most of them have poor refresh rates, making them unsuitable for gaming.  e-IPS isn't too bad there.

If you want landscape mode, then you can buy whatever and it will work.  If you get a monitor with a pivot, you could try both and see which you like.  But if you're thinking of trying both, you'll need something that can do portrait mode well.

The portrait mode sounds good too, is the only difference on an e-ips monitor the viewing angles?
  • Derza10Derza10 Member Posts: 70

Yes viewing angles on IPS monitors are much better (also colors are normally more vivid) so using them in portrate mode isn't an issue... If you get TN monitors you might see some inverted colors in some areas of the monitors due to view angle. I also use 3 u2412m monitors for my setup.

As compared to TN, e-IPS tends to be a little more expensive, and have a little slower response time.  It's the "cheap" type of IPS, but the best one for gaming.  If you find an IPS monitor with a price that doesn't seem outrageous, it's probably e-IPS.  For portrait mode, having better vertical viewing angles makes a huge difference, as you're going to look at the monitor from a substantial "vertical" angle (which becomes the horizontal angle in portrait mode).  You to need a pivot stand option, as otherwise, you can't stand a monitor on its end.  You also want thin top and bottom bezels.

For example, something like this would let you try either portrait or landscape and see what you like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236292

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260055

You might like portrait mode for one game and landscape for another, but if you tend to play one game for a while, then quit and switch to a different game after weeks or months, then it's pretty easy to reposition the monitors when you switch games.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• KnutCupKnutCup Member UncommonPosts: 21

I am usinf the Dell's also, not much for issues, other than, they are a 60 Hz monitor.

My dual GTX680's certainly help smoothing out the graphics, but I am shopping for 3 BenQ 120Hz 24's to replace these.

Keep in mind, there are not alot of monitors that can turn to portrait position (I am in portrait). The cost of separate monitor arms can be a real issue, so, "heads-up"