Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many (if any) MMOs closed down, while you were actively playing them?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

As title says...have you ever been playing an MMO, and said MMO "suddenly" announces its closing down?

Sadly, quite a few for me...

Auto Assault (my favorite MMO ever, even with its problems)

Tabula Rasa (my second favorite MMO ever, and it was actually a lot better toward the end)

City of Heroes (while I wasn't fully active, I subbed every 3 months and played about a month)

^NCsoft, publishers of my top favorite MMOs...only to close them down...NCsoft has the most MMOs closed, that I really liked playing

Asheron's Call 2 (I actually really liked this, but it was a lot different than the first and was rather buggy at launch. Too bad Turbine hasn't done anything with a new AC)

and...I think that is it. Quite a few that I've played have closed down. 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

As title says...have you ever been playing an MMO, and said MMO "suddenly" announces its closing down?

Sadly, quite a few for me...

Auto Assault (my favorite MMO ever, even with its problems)

Tabula Rasa (my second favorite MMO ever, and it was actually a lot better toward the end)

City of Heroes (while I wasn't fully active, I subbed every 3 months and played about a month)

^NCsoft, publishers of my top favorite MMOs...only to close them down...NCsoft has the most MMOs closed, that I really liked playing

Asheron's Call 2 (I actually really liked this, but it was a lot different than the first and was rather buggy at launch. Too bad Turbine hasn't done anything with a new AC)

and...I think that is it. Quite a few that I've played have closed down. 

Tabula Rasa (really liked aspects of that game).  Horizons (now Istaria).  Asherons Call 2 (right after Turbine sold us the expansion pack...). 

Look at your top three. They are just part of the western games that NCsoft has axed over the years.  They seem to make a habit of that.  I'd rank them almost as bad as Nexon, in terms of reputation. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    I've been lucky, only one that I was actively playing, Earth Eternal which shut down while still in beta, and right after I spent about 50 bucks on some cash shop deals.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by greenreen

Two of them so far.

Ryzom shut down and went thru bankruptcy. I was there on day 0 and playing daily.

Chronicles of Spellborn just vanished. I was not there on day 0 and only playing casually.

Ryzom I remember screaming at the hilltops bring it back. I emailed all sorts of IT whowhoos and told them the game was for sale offering them information on how to keep it online.

In dedication to them I keep a sub to the game even when I'm not playing it actively since they have returned from the depths. Ryzom is like my dirty MR that I can return to anytime but I keep on the side. We "dig" each other. (omg first ryzom joke in history, did i win an internet award)

Good points. I'd completely forgotten about those two.  CoS never did get a fair attempt at making it, given Acclaims antics at the start.  I think Ryzom is back now. 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Well, I was beta testing Gods and Heroes 3 years or so ago and that closed down in the middle of testing, was reactived I think earlier this year, but only 2 people on Planet Earth went to try it. Does that count? lol

There Is Always Hope!

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I make a point of not playing bad games. Some games I've tried have been shutdown but not while I was still playing them. I say they all were shutdown for a good reason.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    The only game I ever played that was shut down while I was playing was Tabula Rasa.  Any others that went under were long after I had left.  Most games fail because they can't find enough people who find them worthwhile and pay for them.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Tabula Rasa. I still miss that game.

Also I was there for the shut-down of WoW. Oh wait, that was the launch of CATA. My bad.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • luclinraiderluclinraider Member UncommonPosts: 96

Matrix Online!  IMO probably the best PvP MMO ever with the exception of DAoC maybe ;P.  But....just goes to show that PvP alone isnt enough to keep a game going....since MXO literally didnt have PvE at end game....there were no dungeons, raids, bosses.....you just made your own custom build of skills with the skill tree and set out to exterminate the other factions :P.

A lot of people didnt like....but I loved it till the day it shut down ^^.

-DarkDominance {Dark Evolution}

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Mmos that I was actively playing? Hmmm...

• Earth and Beyond
    • Fung Wan Online
    • Asheron's Call 2
    • 9 Dragons
    • Chronicles of Spellborn
    • Phantasy Star Online
    • Dream of Mirror Online 
    • Asda Online 

The last two were mmos I use to play with my kids. But with such a plethora of mmos to choose from today I hardly miss any of them. Well except maybe Earth and Beyond and AC2.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by Ramonski7

Mmos that I was actively playing? Hmmm...

• Earth and Beyond
    • Fung Wan Online
    • Asheron's Call 2
    • 9 Dragons
    • Chronicles of Spellborn
    • Phantasy Star Online
    • Dream of Mirror Online 
    • Asda Online 

The last two were mmos I use to play with my kids. But with such a plethora of mmos to choose from today I hardly miss any of them. Well except maybe Earth and Beyond and AC2.

Earth and Beyond is just one more reason not to trust EA.  I've not thought of that game in years and years.  But it was quite enjoyable.   Westwood is just one example of what happens.  Of course, Bioware is a more recent example. I wonder how long its going to be, before they follow Westwood into the sunset?

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    None while I was actively playing.

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196
    None here, most close down long after i left.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I was playing CoH when they announced they it was closing.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Onomic
    None here, most close down long after i left.

Same here.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

Don't think I've ever had one shut down while i was subscribing, but I've had a few shut down after I stopped playing them:

-- TSO (first MMO I ever played)

-- SWG

-- Ryzom (temporarily?)

-- Tabula Rasa

At least a couple of them were "predicted" to fail, although they lasted a few years after those "predictions" ....although I guess that could probably be said of every game that ever shut down because I'm sure that EVERY mmo out there probably has someone saying the game won't make it.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Happened to me with Earth and Beyond, Tabula Rasa.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    SWG.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Wish beta. It was the second day and the lag was so awful. OMG 50+ players in the same area, server strain! Soon after it was shut down.
  • dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

I only played GOOD games that never shut down.

I guess I just rock at picking GOOD games to play instead of SHITTY ones, huh.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    City of Heroes, Dungeon Runners.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

None so far.

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    The NGE.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by dimnikar

I only played GOOD games that never shut down. I guess I just rock at picking GOOD games to play instead of SHITTY ones, huh.

Not really, more likely that you lack any real sense of adventure and stick with titles that are safe and popular. It's what most folks do and why few ever get burned. But you never really live either.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

2 games

Wish while in beta

Face of Mankind....it might have done that twice to me. Lost count :P