Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV:ARR is a Final Fantasy Clone, NOT a WoW one.

FFXIV:ARR is looking more and more like a Final Fantasy World. Its music, graphics and lore (world) are finally up to a Final Fantasy standard. As an MMO it is finally at the MMO standard as well, and no one can deny that. Before at 1.0, it was shit, no one would chose the game. Now, with the game launching with multiple pieces of end game content, the game will be able to compete in the market.

Now, everyones talking about the combat. FFXI was team oriented. It was TACTICAL. It was NOT wack-a-mole like WoW. Each person in the party built up "Tactical points (TP)" which was a fill up bar and had to select from a list of weapon skills relating to the weapon equiped using up the TP. A sword started with Fast Blade, Red Lotus Blade, with dozens of weapon skills to chose from as you leveled. A 2nd person would then use their weapon skill from a different weapon (such as a sycthe, great sword, axe, etc..) and the two would come together to form a skill chain. The skill chains then had a time limit to for mages to cast a spell corresponding to the skill chain element and had to chose the right skill to Magic Burst, extra damage on top of the skill chain that would deal a greater impact of damage.

Skill chaining, magic bursting, and working together made FFXI. This WILL be in FFXIV.

But, how FFXIV:ARR will innovate is through Limit Breaks. The whole party (of 8 people) will combine their power into a massive attack called a limit break (presumingly building up power using a gauge.) This will be tactically used to fight against mobs, in raids, and against bosses. There will be elemental planning and precission to be used in a time sensitive manner.

What we're seeing with these alpha videos is low level basic SOLO quests. Don't judge until Beta phase 3 when we start to see team work in the game, something that FFMMO's revolve around.

Enough of "This is WoW" crap. You'll actually have to think about what your doing when you play and plan out your attack to reach full damage.

FFXI fans, back me up here. FFXI was much more hands on then WoW was.

Comments

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by RaxterRips

FFXIV:ARR is looking more and more like a Final Fantasy World. Its music, graphics and lore (world) are finally up to a Final Fantasy standard. As an MMO it is finally at the MMO standard as well, and no one can deny that. Before at 1.0, it was shit, no one would chose the game. Now, with the game launching with multiple pieces of end game content, the game will be able to compete in the market.

Now, everyones talking about the combat. FFXI was team oriented. It was TACTICAL. It was NOT wack-a-mole like WoW. Each person in the party built up "Tactical points (TP)" which was a fill up bar and had to select from a list of weapon skills relating to the weapon equiped using up the TP. A sword started with Fast Blade, Red Lotus Blade, with dozens of weapon skills to chose from as you leveled. A 2nd person would then use their weapon skill from a different weapon (such as a sycthe, great sword, axe, etc..) and the two would come together to form a skill chain. The skill chains then had a time limit to for mages to cast a spell corresponding to the skill chain element and had to chose the right skill to Magic Burst, extra damage on top of the skill chain that would deal a greater impact of damage.

Skill chaining, magic bursting, and working together made FFXI. This WILL be in FFXIV.

But, how FFXIV:ARR will innovate is through Limit Breaks. The whole party (of 8 people) will combine their power into a massive attack called a limit break (presumingly building up power using a gauge.) This will be tactically used to fight against mobs, in raids, and against bosses. There will be elemental planning and precission to be used in a time sensitive manner.

What we're seeing with these alpha videos is low level basic SOLO quests. Don't judge until Beta phase 3 when we start to see team work in the game, something that FFMMO's revolve around.

Enough of "This is WoW" crap. You'll actually have to think about what your doing when you play and plan out your attack to reach full damage.

FFXI fans, back me up here. FFXI was much more hands on then WoW was.

They are using some basic gameplay elements found in WoW, but is also found in almost all modern MMO's. I agree, it looks far from a WoW clone. It has its own style.

If there truly will be the same style of skill/magic chains, and this added Limit Break system for full groups, this game is gonna be awesome.

I am looking forward to seeing how badass these chains and  limit breaks look in action. Hope they don't disappoint.

I am also hoping that a large amount of the game won't be solo-friendly, but unfortunately I don't see that happening.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584

It looks like a modern ffxi witch is what it should have been from day 1.

People who LOVE WoW  think everything is WoW . But when you tell them WoW a MMO is 8 years old and FFXI a MMO is 10 it still dosent connect with them. I LOVED XI and will love XIV

FFXI Skill chain light to a AM Magic Burst for over 2,000 Damage in sea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9HliAJFYME

In ARR we will do this also but with all 8 and it will be a Limit Break

V1 has something like it called Battle Regiments but was really Complex this was V1s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM4s1eCWnMw

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• OmicrommOmicromm Member Posts: 1

To all the little kiddies screaming about one game being a clone of another need to grow up and actually learn something about video games in the industry, not just World of Warcraft. Final fantasy 14 is not a clone of Final Fantasy 11 nor World of Warcraft, it just uses elements from both. If people sat down and nip picked everything about every single video game you would come to realize that they are all similar in a way, but who the hell cares. That's how video games are and developers will use what works to make a successful video game. It may not have the greatest amount of depth but it's what sells (Call of Duty anyone?)

Is Final Fantasy 14 a WoW clone because it has quests you turn in? The skill bars? Or is it the global cooldown? The faster combat? No, it's just using a formula that has unfortunately been done to death in the MMO industry while attempting to add its own Final Fantasy flare. Star Wars attempted to do this but their combat literally had NOTHING different about it.

As you stated the music sounds great, the graphics are crisp and the environments are open and not copy pasted like Final Fantasy  XIV 1.0 was. If you add skill chains, magic bursts, and limit breaks, (which im hoping the development team does right) you have a combat system in which you are working together with your group to take down whatever monster is being fought. This is the furthest from how the combat works in World of Warcraft, which is mind numbingly boring where certain skills are pushed at a certain time or order and a graphic will appear. You dont in any way combine your skills with your party members in World of Warcraft.

Now the part where i disagree with you is where you stated that FFXI was more hands on than World of Warcraft. FFXI was a lot more tactical in it's approach but using an ability once every 5-10 seconds (maybe more depending on the encounter) was beyond way too slow. In World of Warcraft your skills are constanly being used and to an extent there are situations where quick reaction times are needed. So I wouldnt go so far in saying that.

I've played many years of World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy 11 so I know how both sides of the system work. Like i said if the skill chains and limit breaks are implemented correctly and they work smoothly within the group then I can see a combat system that will bring enormous amounts of fun and strategy. That's a big IF though.

Final Fantasy fanboys, open up your eyes, stop defending your game to death and wait and see how it turns out and maybe learn something about another game other than Final Fantasy. World of Warcraft fanboys, you have a game that's had 8 years to reach where it is so go play it instead of ragging on everyone elses game, its quite pathetic.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Well considering that FF games 8 and above have been complete and utter shite (9 excepted), saying that the game is up to the 'Final Fantasy Standard' really isn't saying much. In fact, it warns me to stay the hell away. So thanks for the warning I suppose.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I liked everything I seen other then the solo go fetch and go kill questing. I just hope that this is not a linear mmo where 99% of the time you are alone doing these quest with the occasional group quest or dungeon thrown in. This is the reason why I quit TERA.  I want a game where I am mostly grouping with other players and exploring an open world.
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by Mannish
    I liked everything I seen other then the solo go fetch and go kill questing. I just hope that this is not a linear mmo where 99% of the time you are alone doing these quest with the occasional group quest or dungeon thrown in. This is the reason why I quit TERA.  I want a game where I am mostly grouping with other players and exploring an open world.

pretty much exactly my personal fears, the very solo nature, easy hand holding style of play, speed leveling, and its just shifts you from one spot to another on a linear track.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    Originally posted by Epic1oots
    FFXI came before WoW, if anything WoW is the cloning of everything else. But whether what clone what. As long as FFXIV is fun and deep. Could care less where ideas came from.

Could not agree more!

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Well considering that FF games 8 and above have been complete and utter shite (9 excepted), saying that the game is up to the 'Final Fantasy Standard' really isn't saying much. In fact, it warns me to stay the hell away. So thanks for the warning I suppose.

This is a matter of opinions, Final fantasy 10 is a great game for me and final fantasy XI is awsome too so you can stay away of XIV ARR if you want but me i will try it before judging it..

• LachyFTWLachyFTW Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Clearly a WoW clone, no other way around it.