Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Details are vague, I have some questions.

WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

I have been looking at DF:UW for some time now, I am an old school mmo gamer and am just sick to death of all the post WoW era where - - everyone is equal, solo everything, linear story telling, no one talks because no one has too, self rezz where I died, hand holding, pink unicorns, glittery rainbows, zero thought, with pretty graphics bull shit that is out in mass production.........  /end rant.

So I am looking for more information about this game, and for some reason it is very difficult to find anything specific. The only thing I can find is the devs jaw jacking about their game (which tells you very little, and are mostly bias anyway).

I have come to understand that this is a reboot, so knowing a little about Darkfall the original will probably help me understand more.. If I am having trouble getting information, perhaps there isn’t any right now, But I though I would ask anyway. I would like to pose some questions if anyone would be good enough to answer and expand on them for me.

1) What races are in this game? I know darkfall had some diverse races including dwarfs (MY FAVE!!!). Will this game have the same or more races?

2) They use the term DarkFall Reboot, can we elaborate a little on what the really means? Are we talking about a completely new game engine and physics? New zones? New character models and animations? 

2a) Looking at gameplay video from DF 1, I noticed that the character movement and combat was rather clunky. Will DF:UW be more modern and fluid, like what we would expect in a 2012 release?

3) DF1 apparently didn't have a leveling system, instead you worked up your skills, I like the sound of that, but what exactly does that mean? Will skills cap? Are there a finite number of skills you can learn on one character?

4) Purchase price of the game plus subscription? Cash shop? Non of the above?

5) The PvP sounds both great, and disturbing. Will guards protect you in town? or will i get ganked while selling my junk to a vendor?

6) How are the grouping mechanics? Is it classic mmo set up, needing a tank a healer and a buffer to tackle dungeons?

7) Is Darkfall 1 still going on? Or does this game replace that game?

8) Will nostalgia carry players through out dated game mechanics? Or can a new player enjoy this as if it is a 2012 worthy video game?

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Comments

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Originally posted by WellzyC

I have been looking at DF:UW for some time now, I am an old school mmo gamer and am just sick to death of all the post WoW era where - - everyone is equal, solo everything, linear story telling, no one talks because no one has too, self rezz where I died, hand holding, pink unicorns, glittery rainbows, zero thought, with pretty graphics bull shit that is out in mass production.........  /end rant.

So I am looking for more information about this game, and for some reason it is very difficult to find anything specific. The only thing I can find is the devs jaw jacking about their game (which tells you very little, and are mostly bias anyway).

I have come to understand that this is a reboot, so knowing a little about Darkfall the original will probably help me understand more.. If I am having trouble getting information, perhaps there isn’t any right now, But I though I would ask anyway. I would like to pose some questions if anyone would be good enough to answer and expand on them for me.

1) What races are in this game? I know darkfall had some diverse races including dwarfs (MY FAVE!!!). Will this game have the same or more races?

Alfar (dark elves), Mahirim (wolves), Elves, Humans, Torvar (human/dwarves).  I might have spelled the last one wrong.

2) They use the term DarkFall Reboot, can we elaborate a little on what the really means? Are we talking about a completely new game engine and physics? New zones? New character models and animations? 

This is a complete remake of the old game with an emphasis on fixing good ideas that didn't deliver in the first as well as a new direction that will make the game appeal to a wider audience.  We aren't sure if it is a new engine but they have drastically changed it either way in order to fix problems that existed in Darkfall 1 for the life of the game.  The world size has actually been reduced as the DF1 world was way too big.  There are new character models and animations...however most of the animations in videos thus far appear to be place holders.  The physics have changed a little as they have appeared to try and remove bunnyhopping.

2a) Looking at gameplay video from DF 1, I noticed that the character movement and combat was rather clunky. Will DF:UW be more modern and fluid, like what we would expect in a 2012 release?

Kinda sorta maybe.  AV is a small company and they don't excel in this department honestly.  The combat and systems in DF are what make it great.  The new game will appear to a much wider audience and will be on steam....hopefully with all the extra money AV can invest in some 3D modelling people as well as animation focused people to help this area of the game out.

3) DF1 apparently didn't have a leveling system, instead you worked up your skills, I like the sound of that, but what exactly does that mean? Will skills cap? Are there a finite number of skills you can learn on one character?

Every skill/ability in DF1 levelled from 1-100 through use of said skill.  Your actual character did not have a level.  In DF1 every person could have every ability in the game maxxed at 100 (and for the last year of the game, everyone did).  In DF:UW however the system will be drastically different.  There are 4 classes that each have 4 different roles in which you choose 2.  You can switch between roles and classes at any time (there's a cooldown though).  Each role has 5 abilities (1 of which is called an ultimate).  Your main role you get all 5 spells and your secondary role you get 4 (no ultimate).  In DF:UW you can still learn and max everything in the game, but you are limited to what you can use at any given time.

4) Purchase price of the game plus subscription? Cash shop? Non of the above?

No cash shop.  No announced purchase price as of now but I'd expect around the $30 range.  Sub fee was $15 a month for the majority of DF1 but in the last 4 or 5 months was reduced to $10 a month.  No say in what it will be for the new game.

5) The PvP sounds both great, and disturbing. Will guards protect you in town? or will i get ganked while selling my junk to a vendor?

The PvP in Darkfall is the best gaming experience you can get.  I remember when I was a newer player and was involved in one of my first big fights, I almost blacked out because my adrenaline and blood pressure were through the roof.  Once you get used to the risk vs. reward aspect and harsh nature of Darkfall, there is no turning back to other games.  There will be very small safe zones around the starter areas where your abilities cannot effect other players.  These will be big trade hubs as PvP is essentially disabled.  There will also be NPC cities elsewhere where anyone can kill you at any time.  Most of your time should be spent in your clan or alliances cities though in which you will mostly be surrounded by allies.  That being said, you never know when your city is going to get raided so being cautious in your own cities is always advised.

6) How are the grouping mechanics? Is it classic mmo set up, needing a tank a healer and a buffer to tackle dungeons?

No, no, and no.  The grouping in DF1 was actually terrible.  You could have 10 people in a group max.  This made sieges (where sides could  have 200+ people) very difficult to manage and coordinate.  Even towards the end of the game and a "big" siege force was considered 30 people...and it was still tough.  There are no tanks and healers.  Everyone can heal themselves and keep themselves alive.  In DF:UW however there will be roles that are better for taking damage or dealing damage or healing...but these are not required for anything...they're just different play styles.  Lastly, there are no typical MMO dungeons in DF.  There are dungeons that you enter through portals...but these are not instanced so anyone else can enter them and kill you.  There are no bosses in dungeons, just more difficult and larger mob spawns.

7) Is Darkfall 1 still going on? Or does this game replace that game?

Darkfall 1 was shut down a little less than a month ago now.  They took down the game so they could load the new game onto the servers and begin internal testing.  The new game was originally scheduled to realease on November 20th, but they pushed that back to December 12th.  Many are expecting another delay...I remain more optimistic.

8) Will nostalgia carry players through out dated game mechanics? Or can a new player enjoy this as if it is a 2012 worthy video game?

Yes and yes.  The politics of DF1 will carry over into the new game without a doubt so there will definitely be remnants of the old games politics floating around in the new one.  AV designed the new game to entice a completely new market of people whereas the original was just meant for "niche" gamers.

Try to realize that AV is a small company and for the last 10 years have been tackling an area of the online gaming world that quite literally less than 5 other companies have tried.  Since that is the case, things like top of the line animations and fluffy stuff kind of get put on the back burner until all the mechanics and systems are up to par.

A lot of those systems and mechanics from the first game have been re-worked to be better, more fun, and most importantly appeal to more people.  If AV can deliver on that they will have more than enough money to invest into turning Darkfall into a 2013 AAA MMORPG.  Here's to hoping!

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Nice Answers Indef.  He definitely got everything I could think of to answer your questions.

Originally posted by phantomghost
    Nice Answers Indef.  He definitely got everything I could think of to answer your questions.

thanks man...if you've got anything to add though feel free.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

great info! thank  you so much!

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by indef

You forgot Orks as the 6th playable race. :)

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Dos the race you choose have any influence in the game play? What I mean by that is, can I join as a Orc a Human guild? Are there towns where I get killed by NPC's for having the "wrong" faction? If there are any negative sides to factions what would that be?

Thx for infos

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116

Whats the Darkfall community like these days? I recall back in the days when Darkfall was just a forum full of ex UO'ers pining away for a game to rekindle the fire and the forum community seemed to be pretty nice, helpful and mature.

At the moment I am used to playing with a mostly older, slower paced, crowed in EVE Online vs the type I have encountered in games that are heavy on questing and instancing.

Originally posted by raapnaap

You forgot Orks as the 6th playable race. :)

damn you're right!

Originally posted by morbuskabis

Dos the race you choose have any influence in the game play? What I mean by that is, can I join as a Orc a Human guild? Are there towns where I get killed by NPC's for having the "wrong" faction? If there are any negative sides to factions what would that be?

Thx for infos

There were restrictions like this in DF1 but there will not be in DF:UW.  Race makes no difference in the new game other than looks and where you start out in the world.

Originally posted by Iczer

Whats the Darkfall community like these days? I recall back in the days when Darkfall was just a forum full of ex UO'ers pining away for a game to rekindle the fire and the forum community seemed to be pretty nice, helpful and mature.

At the moment I am used to playing with a mostly older, slower paced, crowed in EVE Online vs the type I have encountered in games that are heavy on questing and instancing.

I love our community, but it is heavy on trolling and shit talking....it's just the nature of the game.

But most people if you get in mumble/vent with them are cool.  I'm 25 and I find more people that I can relate to than not.  There are some groups of really young players (like 12-16) scattered around in our community and I avoid them like the plague.  

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698

The community is basically most MMO players who like FFA Full Loot PvP. If you visit the Darkfall 1 forums, you'll see what that exactly means.

There's a lot of people who go on those forums to make fun of rival clans and mock anyone trying to have a real discussion. On the other hand, there's a lot of productive polling and discussion there, too.

If you post heavy on the official forums, you'll probably be called a non-factor quite a few times. (This is my number one pet peeve of the DF1 community).

Originally posted by Murdus

The community is basically most MMO players who like FFA Full Loot PvP. If you visit the Darkfall 1 forums, you'll see what that exactly means.

There's a lot of people who go on those forums to make fun of rival clans and mock anyone trying to have a real discussion. On the other hand, there's a lot of productive polling and discussion there, too.

If you post heavy on the official forums, you'll probably be called a non-factor quite a few times. (This is my number one pet peeve of the DF1 community).

Don't listen to this kid.  He's just another rando non factor bad.

GSO.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Very good write up!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Forumfall is a pvp arena with words.

In game, the community was really good.  It was usually nothing but friendly conversations with people who ganked me, or I them.  Sometimes pointers were given but really it boiled down to your attitude. 

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

Thx for infos

There were restrictions like this in DF1 but there will not be in DF:UW.  Race makes no difference in the new game other than looks and where you start out in the world.

Choosing a race also gave you a small set of racial passive skills in DF 1.0 but im not 1000% if they kept that for Unholy Wars, I hope they did.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

i might add that dungeons can lead to boss monster ( stronger mobs,better loot), that dungeons will have traps and different levels.

This is a very old video of the first versions of this dungeon revamping:

So player models and mobs can be outdated

At first this looks boring but wait when this turns into a battlefield

I might also say that we only have the faction capitals and 3 satellite cities to each capital. these are no PvP zones to help out beginners.

90% is still FFA PVP everyone you see can be an enemy so make friends....

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Forumfall is a pvp arena with words.

In game, the community was really good.  It was usually nothing but friendly conversations with people who ganked me, or I them.  Sometimes pointers were given but really it boiled down to your attitude. 

I was going to say thats how it usually is. Cool, I dont mind people swinging their ePeens ... it comes with the territory of an agression focused game .

Great replies to the OP, nice info there, thanks.

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

I'm pretty sure that you're wrong about that statement that there will be NPC areas where you can be attacked.

--
    Well this one is hard to explain really so bare with me.

The engine, from what we understand, has been mostly reworked based on the first engine. So at the very core, it's the same engine, but much improved. Aside from new capabilities such as the new environmental sound, lightning etc, the key thing is that it's a much more modular engine now. This means that they can adjust/change/add/remove things a lot faster, and a lot easier. In the first DF game, it took them weeks, even months, to implement even a simple patch/change, because the engine was so messed up, it didn't allow for any flexibility, since it was built on 10+ years of coding, piles and piles of code on top of code, the structure was lost. Now they finally rebuilt the engine from scratch if you will, of course using the code from the first engine and properly writing it, with structure and modular approach.

I wouldn't say they have new physics, they simply adjusted some physics values. They added "momentum" for instance, where you 'i guess' can't turn 180 instantly. They should have also adjusted physics of bunnyhopping because it was retarded in DF 1.

As far as the world goes, it's basically the same old world, BUT completely re-skinned. What this means is that the world map will look more or less the same, albeit just a tiny bit smaller because they cut out a lot of empty space, mostly in water area. However, what's on this map has been changed drastically. For instance, all player holdings have been reworked, rearranged, moved and otherwise made completely new. The same goes for all the NPC cities, the same goes for all the villages in the game. That's a lot of new stuff. Furthermore mobs, mob locations, mob loot tables, dungeons, all have been reworked as well, so if something existed at a particular spot in DF1, something else, or nothing, will exist at the same spot in DF: UW. This is not even taking into account new shaders, lightning and textures added on top of everything else. I hope that kind of paints the picture of the world. While it might look oddly familiar to veterans like me, it will at the same time look very very different.

As far as modules and animations, yes on both. New player modules, where all races have been "normalized", meaning they all have the same hitbox and can wear the same armor. To somebody that hasn't played DF much the animations might seem off, but to me they definitely look much improved over the first game. But with that said, animations have never been a strong point of this game, but at least now it looks presentable enough unlike when the game launched the first time. With new modules come completely redesigned and reskinned armor and weapons, both in terms of stats and looks, so in an essence, every last bit of gear was created from scratch for this new 'reboot' of the game.

Now once you get past the visual representation of the game, there are mechanics, which have even bigger impact on the gameplay. The biggest change is the addition of "Roles", or really, Classes. In Darkfall 1, you could level every skill and every spell in the game. Not only could you level all of it... you actually HAD to level all of it if you wanted to compete. In Darkfall 1, you could use all the skills and spells at the same time, everybody was jack of all trades, master of everything. This killed Darkfall 1, because as the game went on, the harder and harder it became for new players to catch up...and we're talking about months and months and months of grinding to become viable in PVP, it was an ultimate self suicide by design flaw.

So back to DF: UW, Roles (classes), there's 4 of them now. Within each class/role, there are 4 different schools, and you can pick 2 out of the 4 schools, a primary and secondary. Each school will have 5 skills/spells, 4 of which are regular skills and 1 is ultimate. Whichever school you assign to be your primary, you will get to use the ultimate from that schools. And whichever school you set as your secondary you will only get to use the 4 base spells (no ultimate), PLUS, cooldowns and mana/stamina cost for the skills from secondary school will be increased. In an essence, being a Fire + Air mage, is NOT the same as being an Air + Fire mage. It's also important to stress out that you can change what role you are, and you will not lose progress when you do this, but there will be cooldown.

Most importantly, this means that you will have access to only 9 spells from your class. There are also common spells and skills that you always have regardless of which class you play, and we are pretty sure there is a total of 10 of those common abilities, these are things like your self heals and other utility spells. So when it's all said and done, you're looking at less than 20 spells that you can use at any one time, compare that to 100+ that you could use (had to level) in Darkfall 1 and you will realize how huge this change is.

The new players can join this new game, specialize in one role and be just as effective as every veteran using the same role. They don't have to grind everything, they can quickly simply stick with one role and become viable in PVP in no time. For veterans, once they have mastered their first role and schools within the roles, then they can switch and level/try other stuff. The only advantage that veterans will have (aside from combat experience) is that they will have more choices what they want to spec as to best suit their needs for any given situation.

Well.. I grow tired, so I'll leave it at this, there are much more changes which I didn't cover, including big ones like GUI and crosshair wobble. So while a lot of DF: UW is directly taken from the first game, most of it has been reworked to a degree to call it a new.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

.......graphs arent top knotch, sound might be so-so.......its the game style and pvp that we want it for, not a pretty wow clone, Im good with the content so far, as they can always tweak it.  

I just worry about the lack of new info so close to RE-RE-release.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

One of the best communities you can find. The forums can seem rough, especially if you let the trolls get to you, but ingame is where it is at. Community is extremely important in the game as you need to be able to make friends and socialize to join a clan. Clan politics are the game's way of policing extremely bad behavior as well. If you think you can be an ass to everyone, then don't expect to own any cities.

Assholes do exist, lot's of them. But they are just part of the game's environment. I'd rather have assholes in my game who I can punish for being assholes (thanks to FFA PvP), than play in a singleplayer themepark MMO where no one talks, and where I cannot kill assholes/griefers.

But there are a lot of good people in the game, it won't take anyone long to find them.