Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why am i lagging? how can i fix this? help now!

KellthKellth Member UncommonPosts: 46

Why am i lagging that is the question. Well i am not really lagging on all low details i run about 21 fps with all low details and that is still bad.. I want to fraps it and make videos i just cant because evertime i try to record it just lags very hard.  I am really motivated and beleive i can make good videos i just need footage of my doing stuff so i can talk and make videos. But i cannot.... because of the lag. This lag also makes me not able to play the game to its fullest like i sometimes lag in WVW and rarely in pvp. Please help thank you very much!

I have a AMD radeon HD 4250 graphics and a AMD fx 4100 quad-core processor.

Comments

• huihuhuhuhuihuhuhu Member UncommonPosts: 53
    ur not alone on this...maybe server,maybe something else but i was wondering the same...all was running smooth til earlier this eve
  • KellthKellth Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Yes i really hope we do find a solution thank you for posting.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Kellth

Why am i lagging that is the question. Well i am not really lagging on all low details i run about 21 fps with all low details and that is still bad.. I want to fraps it and make videos i just cant because evertime i try to record it just lags very hard.  I am really motivated and beleive i can make good videos i just need footage of my doing stuff so i can talk and make videos. But i cannot.... because of the lag. This lag also makes me not able to play the game to its fullest like i sometimes lag in WVW and rarely in pvp. Please help thank you very much!

I have a AMD radeon HD 4250 graphics and a AMD fx 4100 quad-core processor.

Memory amount? Remember the onboard video uses main memory so you will need to have more memory.

where can i find my amount of memory?
  • Derza10Derza10 Member Posts: 70
    that graphics card is horid..
    i think i am going to get  the GTX470 would that be a good one?
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

You need to post the question in the hardware forums. You will get some good advice from there. To prepare for the questions you'll be asked - take off the side of your case and read the information on your power supply, specifically the brand, model number, and maximum wattage output. 

Good luck.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

The problem is your video card, or perhaps rather, that you don't have one.  You do, however, have a decidedly weird rig, with a modern FX-series processor paired with very old integrated graphics.  At first I thought that wasn't possible, but then I remembered that some motherboard vendors decided to offer Socket AM3+ motherboards with older chipsets in which Socket AM3+ isn't officially supported by AMD, as a way to cut costs.

But if that's what you've got, then it's likely that you got some cheap junk prebuilt with cut corners all over the place.  And in particular, a cheap junk power supply that is liable to release sparks and smoke if you hook up a powerful video card.  What case do you have, and what power supply?  For the case, I mainly want to know the physical size (pull out a ruler and measure if necessary) and the airflow (number of fans, and their sizes, positioning, and orientation).  For the power supply, I need the exact brand name and model; if you don't know, then open up the case and read the label.

A GeForce GTX 470 is a bad idea, as that's a bad card, at least if you get a reference version.  It comes with a cooler that simply can't handle the card, so it runs unreasonably hot, even in a well-ventilated case--which you probably don't have.  The problem isn't performance; it's that if you put it in some cheap junk prebuilt rig, it's likely to ensure that the computer does not remain in working order for very long.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I'm going to agree with the other answers - your graphic card is utter crap, and that's why you get poor performance.

The GTX470 should get you slightly better performance indeed, but it's still a bad card, and be VERY careful, your power supply may not be strong enough for that generation of cards.

A fail safe choice would be a 6850 or a 6870 card. They are low power, and have very nice performance. But still, double check your power supply before making any upgrades.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by Quizzical

The problem is your video card, or perhaps rather, that you don't have one.  You do, however, have a decidedly weird rig, with a modern FX-series processor paired with very old integrated graphics.  At first I thought that wasn't possible, but then I remembered that some motherboard vendors decided to offer Socket AM3+ motherboards with older chipsets in which Socket AM3+ isn't officially supported by AMD, as a way to cut costs.

But if that's what you've got, then it's likely that you got some cheap junk prebuilt with cut corners all over the place.  And in particular, a cheap junk power supply that is liable to release sparks and smoke if you hook up a powerful video card.  What case do you have, and what power supply?  For the case, I mainly want to know the physical size (pull out a ruler and measure if necessary) and the airflow (number of fans, and their sizes, positioning, and orientation).  For the power supply, I need the exact brand name and model; if you don't know, then open up the case and read the label.

A GeForce GTX 470 is a bad idea, as that's a bad card, at least if you get a reference version.  It comes with a cooler that simply can't handle the card, so it runs unreasonably hot, even in a well-ventilated case--which you probably don't have.  The problem isn't performance; it's that if you put it in some cheap junk prebuilt rig, it's likely to ensure that the computer does not remain in working order for very long.

i have a Aspire this is what got about 10 months ago it works pretty well for other games i would say no problem just Guild Wars 2 because you need the good stuff for the game so heres the link with all the specs tell me what to get for my graphics card. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/computers-internet/computers/desktop-computer-ratings/models/overview/acer-am3450-ur30p-99044368.htm

• Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165

hummm... so we got a new Quentin Tarantino on the track.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

It even says in the " specs" section of the link you gave

- Suitable for gaming = NO

Thats more of an internet browsing, picture viewing, Microsoft Office working type of a computer. In no way, shape form or fashion is it made to game with.

It probably is great for its intended purpose. But gaming is not one of them =(

i have a Aspire this is what got about 10 months ago it works pretty well for other games i would say no problem just Guild Wars 2 because you need the good stuff for the game so heres the link with all the specs tell me what to get for my graphics card. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/computers-internet/computers/desktop-computer-ratings/models/overview/acer-am3450-ur30p-99044368.htm

That's basically a poster child for why you ask for help on what to get before buying a computer rather than after.  It costs $500 new, and to upgrade it to a respectable $500 budget gaming machine would cost you about $400.

The good news is that it's a normal width case rather than an extra narrow one, so it is possible to buy upgrade parts.  The bad news is that that's basically the end of the good news.

The power supply is "300 W".  I have no idea if it's a relatively good 300 W power supply, but I'd bet against it.  I'm not sure if a GeForce GTX 470 would physically fit in the case.  But if it does and you tried it, you'd be very lucky if the power supply were the only thing that fried.  Now, there are video cards that are lighter on power consumption than a GTX 470.  Such as just about all of them.  But if you want to add a video card, you should seriously consider replacing the power supply.

It also looks like it only has one case fan.  That should be more or less adequate with the processor the only chip putting out much heat, but adding an internal exhaust video card that puts out a lot of heat will make the interior of your system get very hot.

If you want to go the upgrade route rather than the replacement route, then adding a relatively low power video card, and picking a model that tries to send at least some of its hot air out the back of the case, is your best bet.  The lowest power card of the current generation is the GeForce GT 640:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127686

It's probably also the dumbest card of the current generation, as it's crippled in a variety of ways and only exists as a way for Nvidia to get rid of some badly defective GK107 dies, other than throwing them in the garbage.  Some parts are binned for efficiency; the GT 640 is the opposite of that.  But at least someone has figured out that no one will buy it at the original MSRP of $100, which is enough to get a real gaming video card, so prices have fallen.  The one I linked a pretty good value if you regard rebates as "free", but way overpriced if you won't do the rebate.

The next lowest power card of the current generation is the Radeon HD 7750:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969

That will use a little more power than a GeForce GT 640, but it's dramatically faster.  AMD basically picked the fastest they could run and stay inside of a 75 W TDP.  I wouldn't recommend going higher power on a video card than that.

The standard low-power budget gaming card from the previous generation is the Radeon HD 6670:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102988

If you're looking for something cheaper, that's the way to go.  If you'd prefer an Nvidia alternative, there isn't one.  Nvidia's previous two generations (three if you count the GT 200 series cards as a separate generation from the GTX 200 series cards) were a complete disaster.

Either way, if you're going to add a video card, you ought to think about replacing the power supply.  The one you have now might be able to handle any of the video cards listed above.  Or it might fry your entire system if you try to add one.  Getting a card that can definitely handle the cards above doesn't have to be expensive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

That's $40, including shipping, and you get half of it back via rebate.

That's basically a poster child for why you ask for help on what to get before buying a computer rather than after.  It costs $500 new, and to upgrade it to a respectable $500 budget gaming machine would cost you about $400.

The good news is that it's a normal width case rather than an extra narrow one, so it is possible to buy upgrade parts.  The bad news is that that's basically the end of the good news.

The power supply is "300 W".  I have no idea if it's a relatively good 300 W power supply, but I'd bet against it.  I'm not sure if a GeForce GTX 470 would physically fit in the case.  But if it does and you tried it, you'd be very lucky if the power supply were the only thing that fried.  Now, there are video cards that are lighter on power consumption than a GTX 470.  Such as just about all of them.  But if you want to add a video card, you should seriously consider replacing the power supply.

It also looks like it only has one case fan.  That should be more or less adequate with the processor the only chip putting out much heat, but adding an internal exhaust video card that puts out a lot of heat will make the interior of your system get very hot.

If you want to go the upgrade route rather than the replacement route, then adding a relatively low power video card, and picking a model that tries to send at least some of its hot air out the back of the case, is your best bet.  The lowest power card of the current generation is the GeForce GT 640:

It's probably also the dumbest card of the current generation, as it's crippled in a variety of ways and only exists as a way for Nvidia to get rid of some badly defective GK107 dies, other than throwing them in the garbage.  Some parts are binned for efficiency; the GT 640 is the opposite of that.  But at least someone has figured out that no one will buy it at the original MSRP of $100, which is enough to get a real gaming video card, so prices have fallen.  The one I linked a pretty good value if you regard rebates as "free", but way overpriced if you won't do the rebate.

That will use a little more power than a GeForce GT 640, but it's dramatically faster.  AMD basically picked the fastest they could run and stay inside of a 75 W TDP.  I wouldn't recommend going higher power on a video card than that.

The standard low-power budget gaming card from the previous generation is the Radeon HD 6670:

If you're looking for something cheaper, that's the way to go.  If you'd prefer an Nvidia alternative, there isn't one.  Nvidia's previous two generations (three if you count the GT 200 series cards as a separate generation from the GTX 200 series cards) were a complete disaster.

Either way, if you're going to add a video card, you ought to think about replacing the power supply.  The one you have now might be able to handle any of the video cards listed above.  Or it might fry your entire system if you try to add one.  Getting a card that can definitely handle the cards above doesn't have to be expensive:

Man your an expret and i really have to thank you so much for taking your time to write these detailed paragraphs. So i have about a 150 dollars price range. I am definately going to follow your suggestions and get a new power supply and graphics card so i can play Guild Wars 2 clearly. So the ones you linked are good and i am looking to get them. Also im a noob so what is a rebate? and for christmas is when i will be getting these so with that power supply box you linked me what out of the 3 graphic card's would fit it best. Thanks again!

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

The one thing that I rarely have issues with is lag. I run GW2 just fine with my non-gaming laptop. Granted I don't have the best looking graphics, but I don't mind. Here are my specs:

Intel HD3000 graphics card

Intel i3 2350M 2.30GHZ processor

4GB RAM

Windows 7 home premium 64-bit OS

Man your an expret and i really have to thank you so much for taking your time to write these detailed paragraphs. So i have about a 150 dollars price range. I am definately going to follow your suggestions and get a new power supply and graphics card so i can play Guild Wars 2 clearly. So the ones you linked are good and i am looking to get them. Also im a noob so what is a rebate? and for christmas is when i will be getting these so with that power supply box you linked me what out of the 3 graphic card's would fit it best. Thanks again!

The mail-in rebate means that you pay $40 for the product up front, and print out a form at the time.  Then when the product arrives, you cut out a proof of purchase from it, fill out the form, and mail them together to the company that built the product.  A few months later, they mail you a check for $20 or something equivalent to that.  The rebate is a hassle, but if you do it, then the power supply only costs you $20 on net.

If you want to know why they offer rebates at all, it's because a lot of people who buy the product won't do them.  They want people to think when looking at products, "That's only $20 after rebate!", and consider it as cheaper than a $30 product with no rebate from a competitor.  But then when the product arrives, if you forget to do the rebate (because you're thinking about playing games, not a rebate), then you ended up paying $40 for a product that you might not have bought if it were $40 with no rebate.

In this case, the power supply is a pretty good value at $40 even without the rebate.  The GeForce GT 640 that I linked is not a good value at $80, but is only good for $50, which is the price after rebate.  And I wouldn't regard rebates as "free", either, as they're a hassle, even if you remember to do them.

Ok so Christmas is in and i am going to buy these for my computer. Please tell me if these are the best for my system. Also what will happen if i fry my computer? And is it possible i might fry my computer with these products (the ones you linked me)

Graphics card

Power Supply 

(The cheaper one)

Please tell me which is best i am defianetly getting the power supply and leaning towards the sappihre card 7750 more than the other one because it seems like it is better. Also i do not mind rebates. Im just scared because i do not want to fry my computer.

Also how do i put these items in my computer i know there is youtube and i have my brother hes pretty smart with computer stuff.