Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long...

Comments

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by mnwild1998
    Well here is a quote from last Friday hope this is recent enough for you. Schubert concurred, and he also mentioned that the numbers support BioWare's current position. "Almost every conceivable metric is better. The numbers have blown away our expectations, which means good things for the players and the game," he said. This was an interview on massivly about adding f2p.

Lets hope its true so they can start developing some proper content again.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    lol, ppl still play this trash? and now we have an EA pawn trying to cover the sun with a sieve.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Well here is a quote from last Friday hope this is recent enough for you. Schubert concurred, and he also mentioned that the numbers support BioWare's current position. "Almost every conceivable metric is better. The numbers have blown away our expectations, which means good things for the players and the game," he said. This was an interview on massivly about adding f2p.

I'd rather have 3rd party sources say that metrics and revenue blew away investors expectations.

Schubert, along with other EA employees are essentially paid to promote their game (and thus keep their job).

Freemium players definitely added a new spark to SWTOR.  But the question is, how many of them will keep playing, and how many of them will convert to subscribers (long term or short term)?

The "F2P" model SWTOR offers is horrid.  The vast majority of players defending it are subscribers.  But you can't take subscribers opinions as gold, because even EA, after seeing a huge backlash in the press, gave 4 hotbars to "preferred status" players.  Why did EA do this?  Bad press for one thing, also "F2P" player retention wasn't very promising.  While TORStatus was showing a nice rise during the first week of SWTOR going freemium, it is now showing a steady drop.  Sure all numbers on TORStatus are green now, but given the rate of decline, they will be red again, maybe as soon as next week.

Schubert is a funny guy though, I'd want him working for me too :-)

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli

I'd rather have 3rd party sources say that metrics and revenue blew away investors expectations.

Schubert, along with other EA employees are essentially paid to promote their game (and thus keep their job).

Freemium players definitely added a new spark to SWTOR.  But the question is, how many of them will keep playing, and how many of them will convert to subscribers (long term or short term)?

The "F2P" model SWTOR offers is horrid.  The vast majority of players defending it are subscribers.  But you can't take subscribers opinions as gold, because even EA, after seeing a huge backlash in the press, gave 4 hotbars to "preferred status" players.  Why did EA do this?  Bad press for one thing, also "F2P" player retention wasn't very promising.  While TORStatus was showing a nice rise during the first week of SWTOR going freemium, it is now showing a steady drop.  Sure all numbers on TORStatus are green now, but given the rate of decline, they will be red again, maybe as soon as next week.

As you asked me I will ask you. Where are you getting your information on the rate of decline? Please dont even say xfire cause if thats is your knowledge source please dont even reply. They will continue to listen to the f2pers and adjust just like every other mmo that made the switch its nothing new. Well I will take your prediction and say your wrong about the numbers being red "next week".

I did mention it earlier.  My source is:

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats

Its an interesting tool to use.  It works not on any sort of linearity, but rather on a sort of abnormal logarithmics, based on population level "caps" for each level of activity (light, standard, heavy, very heavy, full).  In other words, a server rated at 2.4 is not 10% more than a server rated at 2,18, etc.  It's a bit higher.

It's not as speculative as XFire, since TORStatus deals with actual server capacity, as reported by:

http://www.swtor.com/server-status

Which incluces ALL players!! ...  not some, not half, but all .. uhh .. all that mash.  TORStatus reloads the above website (every 5 minutes), and gathers statistical data.

Of course, EA has been shown to adjust their threshholds for each level of server capacity, which throws things off.  But on the short term, unless we see a drastic change in threshholds without any actual smoking gun (major pull for players to log on), it's pretty consistent.

As you asked me I will ask you. Where are you getting your information on the rate of decline? Please dont even say xfire cause if thats is your knowledge source please dont even reply. They will continue to listen to the f2pers and adjust just like every other mmo that made the switch its nothing new. Well I will take your prediction and say your wrong about the numbers being red "next week".

I did mention it earlier.  My source is:

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats

Its an interesting tool to use.  It works not on any sort of linearity, but rather on a sort of abnormal logarithmics, based on population level "caps" for each level of activity (light, standard, heavy, very heavy, full).  In other words, a server rated at 2.4 is not 10% more than a server rated at 2,18, etc.  It's a bit higher.

It's not as speculative as XFire, since TORStatus deals with actual server capacity, as reported by:

http://www.swtor.com/server-status

Which incluces ALL players!! ...  not some, not half, but all .. uhh .. all that mash.  TORStatus reloads the above website (every 5 minutes), and gathers statistical data.

Of course, EA has been shown to adjust their threshholds for each level of server capacity, which throws things off.  But on the short term, unless we see a drastic change in threshholds without any actual smoking gun (major pull for players to log on), it's pretty consistent.

Alright thanks for the link. I look forward to reviewing it next week with you lol. Have a good one.

Have a great week! /peace

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

They cant listen to F2Pers because F2Pers have no venue of contact simce they get NO customer support or forum posting privileges.

All the complains about F2P are from SUBSCRIBERS.

And they STILL quickly delete almost every thread on forums that mentions F2P negatively (oh yea, i tracked that one, it was exquisite agility with which they deleted the threads). And of course horde of fanboi trolls should have been banned, but they werent and its pretty sure they are shills, as they obtusively troll every thread that has any criticism of SWTOR. They are pretty transparent though.

Just a bit of fact for you....you are another broken record of hate towards SWTOR. We all can accept you hate the game thats fine and nothing wrong with that. But to come on EVERY SINGLE POST that mentions TOR and bash the game and those who play and enjoy a VIDEO GAME is a joke. Move on like the last guy who was called out for being a broken record. Right now over 500,000 people are enjoying TOR (if only until 2014 from your expert experience) and we would like to apologize that TOR hurt you some how. But good news there are tons of mmos out try one of them .

Writing down facts about the game =/= hating or trolling, remember that bro.

Its not my problem some people start foaming around their mouth when confronted with facts and prefer to live in fairy land/ignorance.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by mikahr
    Just a bit of fact for you....you are another broken record of hate towards SWTOR. We all can accept you hate the game thats fine and nothing wrong with that. But to come on EVERY SINGLE POST that mentions TOR and bash the game and those who play and enjoy a VIDEO GAME is a joke. Move on like the last guy who was called out for being a broken record. Right now over 500,000 people are enjoying TOR (if only until 2014 from your expert experience) and we would like to apologize that TOR hurt you some how. But good news there are tons of mmos out try one of them .

Its not my problem some people start foaming around their mouth when confronted with facts and prefer to live in fairy land/ignorance.

There's a difference between stating facts and doing what a select few on these boards does (not saying you). To me it's like the opposite of fanboyism, but rather they jump in threads that have nothing to do with the games populationg or success and they work in the same facts we see daily on these boards, pretty much derailing the topic right there into a back and forth thing. That's one reason why I don't frequent these boards nearly as much as I used to - you can't have a legitimate discussion about the game without someone derailing it in that manner.

They know who they are, they try to cover it up with "I"m saying the FACTS". But you can take a simple look through a majority of threads on the first page here (including this one) or check out the suspected one's post history and see who I'm talking of.

• shawn19606shawn19606 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I think the main reason most people are so hard on TOR is the fact that this was another supposive "WOWkiller" and it ends up going free to play within a year. The game has obviously failed to achieve anything close to original aspectations. Perhaps they can have some sucess with the F2P module but it's doubtful. I don't like to see games fail like this, it's bad for the industry I think. It's good that companies can't just throw crap out there and expect us to play it but I think it's still bad to see games crash like this. I like the storylines but hated the game engine performance and disliked the PVP. I'm considering giving it another shot though. I would probably just re-sub instead of trying the F2P option though.

They cant listen to F2Pers because F2Pers have no venue of contact simce they get NO customer support or forum posting privileges.

All the complains about F2P are from SUBSCRIBERS.

And they STILL quickly delete almost every thread on forums that mentions F2P negatively (oh yea, i tracked that one, it was exquisite agility with which they deleted the threads). And of course horde of fanboi trolls should have been banned, but they werent and its pretty sure they are shills, as they obtusively troll every thread that has any criticism of SWTOR. They are pretty transparent though.

Facts you dont put facts. Ranting about space combat and how they went with instances, raids and gear grinds are not facts. Rants the game wasn't made how you wanted it on every TOR post is not fact. Posting comments thats some people say ok ill give you that one. So here is one from Friday, its about how f2p is doing. Schubert concurred, and he also mentioned that the numbers support BioWare's current position. "Almost every conceivable metric is better. The numbers have blown away our expectations, which means good things for the players and the game," he said.

What Shubert says might be a fact as far as he quoted it, but what was said isn't necessarily a fact , in the sense that it is true.

Dumded down analysis:  It's a fact that Shubert made that statement.  The content of Shubert's statement, however,  is questionable.

Be careful how you critisize other's observations if you can only support them with PR "facts".

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by shawn19606
    I'm considering giving it another shot though. I would probably just re-sub instead of trying the F2P option though.

Yea, I wouldn't recommend anyone playing for free unless they're completely new to the game and/or only for the first planet if that. If your returning, you can get by the first planet easy with the restrictions (you don't need all the hotbars and you don't even get a helmet until the last stretch). 

• shawn19606shawn19606 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Draron
    Originally posted by shawn19606
    I'm considering giving it another shot though. I would probably just re-sub instead of trying the F2P option though.

Yea, I wouldn't recommend anyone playing for free unless they're completely new to the game and/or only for the first planet if that. If your returning, you can get by the first planet easy with the restrictions (you don't need all the hotbars and you don't even get a helmet until the last stretch). 

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about how some of the restrictions would affect a returning player. Although I am probably just going to start a new toon to see one of the storylines that I havn't experienced already. I would still resub. If I feel the game is worth giving another try to play, then it's worth resubbing to IMO.

Originally posted by mnwild1998 Facts you dont put facts. Ranting about space combat and how they went with instances, raids and gear grinds are not facts. Rants the game wasn't made how you wanted it on every TOR post is not fact. Posting comments thats some people say ok ill give you that one. So here is one from Friday, its about how f2p is doing. Schubert concurred, and he also mentioned that the numbers support BioWare's current position. "Almost every conceivable metric is better. The numbers have blown away our expectations, which means good things for the players and the game," he said.

Servers were packed at launch too.

They made gazzilion statements about "1 update/month" and all the stuff that was coming "before the end of the year", and how "they will keep WHOLE core team working on the game"... ... ...

And we all know how that ended.

Fun Facts.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Xirik

Since its the second largest Sub based MMO probably a very long time. Meridian is still alive so is EQ. I really don't understand how people think Swtor is going to die.  They aren't bleeding out subs anymore and are stable around 500k-750k subs.  They found a base that likes this game.

just because its not the game you wanted it to be doesn't mean it should die. Thats a VERY childlike mindset.

For me is best game ever, comparable only to wow. Second Rift or GW2 or both. With some changes I loved a lot also TSW, once also Aoc, War, .... But for me on throne there are maybe two kings for now, Swtor and Wow.

I'm happy with the fact is still second best game for sub numbers, despite very far behind wow. But I'm sad as I was counting on even more. After first few days I was sure this is only game that could match wow, but it did not make it. It looks pvp and end game, two areas i do not care at all, were bad. Hope they fix this and make more players happy.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by grimal

He's a broken record.  Simply hit the block button.

I come to these forums to talk about these games.  Share opinions.  But when you have that one guy rambling the same incoherent thing over and over....just ignore them.

With so hilarious claims fanbois make it desnt leave much space for anything else.

Game tanked and had to go F2P in less than a year. It broke many negative records that other MMOs will break them VERY hard

2 server merges

2 rounds of core staff layoffs including top developers. By the state of things they are running on skeleton crew.

CEO of EA called it "a miss"

uncountable promises and "its coming before the end of the year" claims, and only thing they delivered is Cartel Shop aka money grab where they put stuff that was ready and kept from players at launch, and spice it over with....GAMBLING BOXES

engine so bad that they rather removed Ilum than let people play what little misery of open world PvP there was. Their "optimization" and "fixing it" was...tada...."we now have VERY LOW SETTING". But, as with most things in SWTOR, that didnt help either but it sure made game look even crappier than before. And its 2007 game.

ability delay still not fixed. Servers still have spasms when a bit of people get on. Most planets are capped at 50-75 players/instance because game starts being unplayable over that number. This one is actually really funny because planets are quite big and usually you see mostly 1-2 players of these 50-75

content updated so slow that its unbelievable. And no, this time around theres no excuse of "voice overs" or "story" because there is none, mission dropbox is your new best friend

Just a bit of facts for ya.

Agreed, just move on

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    They should give teh Star Wars IP to Blizzard. I am sure Blizzard can turn Star Wars into a hit.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Since it went F2P, i decided to finsh the character stories on rest of the 4 classes. It has a very dedicated and loyal fanbase who supported SWTOR for all these months. That is the crowd BW should focus on.

I won't deny though that F2P has brought lot of new players and server are packed and game looks quite busy these days. Will SWTOR die? eventually everything does but it won't be any time sooner.

So those wishing for its demise in a year or so...sorry but not happening.

Originally posted by Whitebeards

Since it went F2P, i decided to finsh the character stories on rest of the 4 classes. It has a very dedicated and loyal fanbase who supported SWTOR for all these months. That is the crowd BW should focus on.

I won't deny though that F2P has brought lot of new players and server are packed and game looks quite busy these days. Will SWTOR die? eventually everything does but it won't be any time sooner.

So those wishing for its demise in a year or so...sorry but not happening.

It went F2P in less than a year, and most people (even EA) said that "theres no chance it will go F2P anytime soon, sorry but not happening".

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

Since its the second largest Sub based MMO probably a very long time. Meridian is still alive so is EQ. I really don't understand how people think Swtor is going to die.  They aren't bleeding out subs anymore and are stable around 500k-750k subs.  They found a base that likes this game.

just because its not the game you wanted it to be doesn't mean it should die. Thats a VERY childlike mindset.

Amen to that. I play SWToR since the launch on the progenitor (eu rp server). I love the game. I don't care that it doesn't has millions of players, im in a big enough RP guild and there are always enough people around to play with (especially now that there is a f2p acces). It won't die any time soon. Even though haters would love to see that happen, they are just imature little children "everything i don't like should die and no one else may have fun with it lolzor!". Just let people play what ever they wanna play. if you dislike the game than stop comming to anything related to the game.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    They should give teh Star Wars IP to Blizzard. I am sure Blizzard can turn Star Wars into a hit.

No......give it to SOE.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Jorendo

Amen to that. I play SWToR since the launch on the progenitor (eu rp server). I love the game. I don't care that it doesn't has millions of players, im in a big enough RP guild and there are always enough people around to play with (especially now that there is a f2p acces). It won't die any time soon. Even though haters would love to see that happen, they are just imature little children "everything i don't like should die and no one else may have fun with it lolzor!". Just let people play what ever they wanna play. if you dislike the game than stop comming to anything related to the game.

I think the biggest problem is that some, possibly a lot, of the haters started playing this game expecting it to be something it was NEVER advertised to be like say those that wanted it to be SWG2.  I personally think when you have an IP like Star Wars and it means different things to different people, an MMO is doomed to fail because you can't please everyone.  There just isn't enough time and money for developing enough free roam space, theme park & sandbox elements, dynamic world, WoW addons that tell you what and when to do things, etc etc.

I to still play the game and enjoy it.  Is there room for improvement?  Sure is, but oh well, there isn't a game out there right now that is worth it to me.  WoW is garbage, GW2 is boring, never could get into Rift, and $OE lost me a while back.  /shrug guess I'm waiting on something new.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Latronus

I personally think when you have an IP like Star Wars and it means different things to different people, an MMO is doomed to fail because you can't please everyone. 

Especially when there are more dislikes then likes. 200 servers worth of players left compared to 20 servers that are still here....Its doomed to fail.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

Since its the second largest Sub based MMO 

hahahahah... wait....you serious?

EA got rid of 90% of the servers, TOR sub numbers are without a doubt below EVE and Rift, probably less than TSW which is pretty packed at the moment and growing due to CoH shutdown and because it's simply a great game.

Atm there is only one way for TOR and the signs point downwards. 12 month and no major improvements or additions, how is that supposed to work or keep people playing? Cartel pack gambling boxes?

Disney should cancel the contract with EA before they continue to damage the Star Wars IP and give Sony the deal to create SWG2 instead.

No improvements in 12 months?

2 new flashpoints

2 new warzones

2 new operations and another one expanded

nightmare modes added for new and existing ops

legacy system

group finder

added endgame companion

new zone on belsavis

Yeah, that is nothing at all. I think that is not bad for just one year. Four raids at the end of year 1 is not bad. And during this time they also had to roll out a cash shop. No I am not a fan of the free to play but considering they got retasked midstream I think they did fine for year one.

No I don't think SWTOR is ever going to make the money that EA had hoped for but the fact is that it isn't a bad game. Not the best either but certainly not bad. It will limp along under bad management for a very long time unless disney decides to pull the plug and try again with giving the IP to another studio. Who knows, maybe the third try will be charmed.

All die, so die well.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Jonoku

No......give it to SOE.

Give it to Trion, but only on the condition that they make it a sandbox game. They are smart, they will figure it out.

All die, so die well.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Jonoku

No......give it to SOE.

SOE don't have the resources to maintain their own games, let alone develope another one, and the brains that were behind the original SWG are long gone to pastures new.  whats left at SOE is not a lot, just look at the train wreck that is PS2, tbh, the future for SOE couldnt look any bleaker. If i was going to give an MMO company the licence to develope SWG2 it would probably be from a very short list of either Blizzard, Trion, or CCP. image

Originally posted by VikingGamer
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

Since its the second largest Sub based MMO 

hahahahah... wait....you serious?

EA got rid of 90% of the servers, TOR sub numbers are without a doubt below EVE and Rift, probably less than TSW which is pretty packed at the moment and growing due to CoH shutdown and because it's simply a great game.

Atm there is only one way for TOR and the signs point downwards. 12 month and no major improvements or additions, how is that supposed to work or keep people playing? Cartel pack gambling boxes?

Disney should cancel the contract with EA before they continue to damage the Star Wars IP and give Sony the deal to create SWG2 instead.

No improvements in 12 months?

2 new flashpoints

2 new warzones

2 new operations and another one expanded

nightmare modes added for new and existing ops

legacy system

group finder

added endgame companion

new zone on belsavis

Yeah, that is nothing at all. I think that is not bad for just one year. Four raids at the end of year 1 is not bad. And during this time they also had to roll out a cash shop. No I am not a fan of the free to play but considering they got retasked midstream I think they did fine for year one.

No I don't think SWTOR is ever going to make the money that EA had hoped for but the fact is that it isn't a bad game. Not the best either but certainly not bad. It will limp along under bad management for a very long time unless disney decides to pull the plug and try again with giving the IP to another studio. Who knows, maybe the third try will be charmed.

I believe the OP said "no major improvements".  Either way most of the stuff you mentioned is just more of what everyone already had.  Could content be considered an improvement?  Maybe, in the sense that there is more stuff to do, .. but rehashed existing content is certainly not a major improvement.  And it's really stuff that needed to be added in order to retain customers ... EA did not exceed expectations or provide major improvements, per say.

The rest I suppose is subjective.  I hardly saw Legacy as an improvement.  It was very weak, and EQ's Alternate Advancement was by far superior, IMO.

Group finder?  I don't want it, as it just leads a game down an anti-social path.  It could have been worse I suppose, if EA added cross-realm finders.  Group finder in any game is not really much of an improvement in my eyes, but rather a companies attempt to tuck realm population issues under the rug.

Endgame companion? Don't care.  New zone?  It's a standard practice to add more of the same over time.  It isn't a major improvement.

To me, a major improvement would be to add functional casinos, a living & breathing environment, removing load screens from hell, optimizing a really bad graphics engine, re-adding open world PVP, adding competitive mini-games (racing, SW card games, etc) that don't involve constant fighting, freeroam space adventure, and so on.

This list is by no means exhaustive, but I would consider these to be major improvements.  None of which were added to SWTOR, BTW.