Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some questions about AoC...

TolmosTolmos Member UncommonPosts: 141

Ok, so I gave AoC a try about a year ago or so and it didn't really stick for me. No particular reason- I just tried it at a bad time. Some super overly hyped games were just releasing (TERA, for one) and I got sucked away and just let my sub run out. Realizing I never gave it a proper chance, and that I didn't particularly dislike my time in the game, I decided to return and give it another whirl!

I like going in knowing what I'm about to deal with, for better or worse, so I had a couple of questions:

A ) How does the population/longevity of the game appear? I don't care about how many servers there are, only what those servers look like on the inside. Good number of folks still poking their heads around and doing stuff? Also, does it appear that there are enough players across the servers to give AoC a pretty decent amount of time left up and running? I'd hate to get settled in, max out my toon, and have funcom decide to shelf the game ;_;

B ) How does the end game PvP grind look? I'm a PvPer at heart, and that's exactly what I want to do. 1) Can I get PvP gear purely by PvPing, or some other non dungeon running method (even buying off the cash shop. If its a non-PvE grind option, I'm interested in it).  2) If I don't have PvP armor, what sort of disadvantage would I be against a person who does have it? Lets make it easy- lets assume we are of similar skill levels here. Assuming we are similarly skills, would I have ANY shot of beating them?  3) If I have the PvP armor from the cash shop, if any exists, how would I stand in situation #2? More of an even ground? I don't need the best stats, just acceptable.

C ) Demonoligist still any good? That was my main when I quit and if they got nerfed into oblivion or something I'd like to know sooner than later so I can reroll and NOT waste my extra level point thingies I accumulated on him.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Maybe other AoC'ers will put their thoughts here as well, since I'm a pve-only dude...

A.) Nobody can be sure about this nowadays with the constant changing market , but I guess AoC will be here for some more years. The f2p model didn't bring in new players, but the existing playerbase seems stable and with the cash shop they're producing a decent income. I mean the servers aren't empty, and since the f2p transition Funcom released Turan, Dragon's spine is in the near future, a new server started, just as TSW... :) So I think both population and longevity are fine.

B.) I never pvp, so I skip this one... just one note, I don't know when you left, but about a year ago they opened a hardcore pvp server (the previous pvp servers are there too, only this one has a lot more open ruleset). Maybe you could roll an alt there. They call it Blood and Gore ...khm glory - don't understand what's the glory in pvp :)

C.) I pass this too, since I guess you mean pvp and not interested the pve demo (but it's still a great dps machine in pve)

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    maybe kinda sorta interested in this myself. Game was wayyy to buggy for me at launch, could not even get it to  boot for a week or more after the first patch. Retried it a couple of times but one thing or another always drove me away. Saw the article on front page and it tweaked my interest

I miss DAoC

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    maybe kinda sorta interested in this myself. Game was wayyy to buggy for me at launch, could not even get it to  boot for a week or more after the first patch. Retried it a couple of times but one thing or another always drove me away. Saw the article on front page and it tweaked my interest

I think I just saw hell freeze over. That meaningless death debuff is still there. I remember you and Openedge1 going back and forth a few years ago. That was one of your top peeves about the game.

Has your opinion changed?

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Originally posted by Sevenwind
    Originally posted by Jackdog

I think I just saw hell freeze over. That meaningless death debuff is still there. I remember you and Openedge1 going back and forth a few years ago. That was one of your top peeves about the game.

Has your opinion changed?

Yea for real, I thought Jackdog hated this game! lol

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"