Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Neverwinter: Character Customization Developer Blog

2»

Comments

• lforicelforice Member Posts: 14

i really hate Region Ban.

[mod edit]

• eikonaeikona Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Nikopol

To me it's not really about the rule set when it comes to D&D.  I've always thought the game had a certain slow and deliberate quality to it. I think that's why the video games that nailed D&D best were turn-based ones.

Though of course turn based doesn't work well at all with MMO... So failing that, I really would like to see a somewhat slower, less flashier game that gives you a break on the finger-dance.... A game that lets you lean back and think along with the game rather than merely react to it.

But first we have D&D Online and now this...

Lack of demand for a more sombre and slower paced game or an oversight on the part of game developers?

I would say lack of demand. In every game I have ever beta tested, the playerbase clamors for faster more action oriented  combat. I have never seen a game where the playerbase in general advocated for a slow pace.  It's always fasterm more exciting, action oriented twitchy that people at large want.

It's rather depressing, imo. I also would like a slower more thoughtful combat, but in every beta I've been in, I've been drowned out by people wanting faster fasterfaster!!! 

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    Originally posted by Onomic
    What ruleset does this game use?

It's based off 4e

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

"Stay tuned for more Neverwinter news, including more about how you can craft your dream adventurer!".             

My little pony online??

Wheat the Fudge..

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    It's about the the only thing Cryptic can brag about, Blah blah blah , we we have great costume character creation abilities. When they release a game it's the only thing they ever really lead with .  Worst part , it's not even that great. APB had a better one. They'll just be recycling stuff anyways from CO and STO, as they've consistently done.

• siveonsiveon Member Posts: 2

Wait, I didn't notice it at first...but we can't play as Half-Orcs? No...no Half-Orcs?!

*Rages.*

• ZenebatosZenebatos Member Posts: 4

I do hope there will be Multiclassing options..., or at least a melee Sorceror or an Hexblade...

Or else don't even thik about it...

• TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113

I ceased being a large D&D fan a long time ago, though I have attempted playing in DDO, but it sounds to me like Cryptic and PWE might actually be putting more care into this game than they have in either STO or ChO, and that's a relief.  While those first games are good for the first several levels, I hope Neverwinter will have more care in their tasks and objectives development to actually make me want to stick around for a long time.  I tried a few characters in ChO, even took a couple of them to their mid-20s, and I played in the STO beta, but I've not been back to those games since.

I LOVE character generation in those games, and the fact they're saying NW will be as well developed as those others, if not better, is making me want to look at it a bit more.

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by siveon

Wait, I didn't notice it at first...but we can't play as Half-Orcs? No...no Half-Orcs?!

I'm sure you'll be able to buy them from the cash shop at some point.  If they do the 'freemium' thing then it'd likely be free with a subscription I imagine.

Personally I'm very confused over the whole rolling your stats thing.  I mean since 4E D&D and the RPGA seem to have pulled away from the rolling for stats idea and moved more towards providing a standrd stat array or allowing a point-buy system.  Since rolling for stats can give you both some pretty over-powered and under-powered stats in most computer RPGs I've ever played, character creation usually has this long period where people just hit the 'roll' button over and over and over and over and over until they get the best stats they're willing to waste time hitting the button for.

Just seems an odd choice.

• JumdorJumdor Member Posts: 62

@siveon - Come on dude! What are you talking about you have two elf races and half-elves. I mean if that isn't enough options for you. =P 

I'm joking I am so joking. I agree it's total bull$#*%!

"Love can be innocent and can be sweet, but sometimes about as nice as rotting meat."

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by azzamasin....  From what we know so far there does'nt appear to be a 2H "warrior" type of character.  I almost always play "heavy-armor"  Melee and but I never play it with a shield....

Actually on official forums, the devs have already confirmed that 2H fighters are being planned so that they will be there at launch(perhaps even in beta). We don't know about other classes, but devoted ceric and 2-H Fighter should definately make it to the launch.

Originally posted by Zenebatos

I do hope there will be Multiclassing options..., or at least a melee Sorceror or an Hexblade...

I don't know about multiclass, but a seperate class called swordmage is a 4e Forgotten realms "native" class. So if we have enough people asking for swordmage, they should give it to us sooner.

Originally posted by siveon

*Rages.*

They have not yet disclosed all races and classes which would be there. They are saying there would be more than what they have shown.

Half orcs are categorized as rarest of rare races in 4e Faerun. Genasi, Dragonborn are among common races and so perhaps they should be implement before it. Then would be less-common races like Goliath. So unless a lot of people do demand and half-orc, it might be pretty far in the list.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Nikopol

To me it's not really about the rule set when it comes to D&D.  I've always thought the game had a certain slow and deliberate quality to it. I think that's why the video games that nailed D&D best were turn-based ones.

Though of course turn based doesn't work well at all with MMO... So failing that, I really would like to see a somewhat slower, less flashier game that gives you a break on the finger-dance.... A game that lets you lean back and think along with the game rather than merely react to it.

But first we have D&D Online and now this...

Lack of demand for a more sombre and slower paced game or an oversight on the part of game developers?

I think it's a mis-read by game developers.  They're basically ignoring the 40+ age group... you know the gamers who made computer RPG's possible, and funded all their companies... unfortunately there is becoming a weaker correlation between intelligence and game designers every year.

• syberghostsyberghost Member UncommonPosts: 17

I'm kinda taken aback by all this question about when beta starts, since it's already been publicly stated:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?30761-Neverwinter-Beta-Weekend-details-Read-this-first!

Beta starts this week.