Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new bounty system

ChoadSauceChoadSauce Member Posts: 91

Disclosure: I'm a carebear....i dont troll or pirate or anything like that.....i'm just a boring ol trader / miner....I have 5.0 security status

So I log in.....I'm just sitting in Amarr, looking at market prices.....then I get a bounty on my head, 2 million. I think wtf??

I convo the person and ask him whats up? he gives me some dumbass wannabe troll answers, then adds another mil to the bounty.  I close the convo before he gets more ideas.

I go on eve uni chat channel....and ask a question about bounty's, I ask if concord still works the same. Meaning, even if I have bounty, concord will still intervene if I'm in high sec blah blah.....just trying to watch my ass you know? Next thing I know, 3 people from the eve uni chat channel add an additional mil bounty to me each. 

As funny as this all is....you gotta admit, this is kinda bullshit. by next week, every single person in new Eden are going to be considered "wanted"

There goes immersion

Now if I want a clean record persay....i gotta go out in null or low and die a buncha times.....ugh

am i just over exaggerating? anyone else feel this way?

_The Sauce Man

Comments

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

It isn't that simple. If you never do anything bad, people won't be able to kill you legally. It is part of the new Crimewatch system where you purchase kill rights.

"Kill rights are part of crimewatch, so we had to sync up with Team Five O on their work in refactoring that system. We’re tying into the crimewatch system in two ways:

Kill Rights will now be created at the same time a Criminal flag is put on a player, but only for attacking in hi sec or podding in low sec. RRing a Criminal will not create a kill right (but still puts a Criminal flag on the repper).

The second way is in how the kill right is used. This is changing from previous functionality. If you have a kill right against someone, you can activate that kill right to make your target a suspect (i.e. give him a Suspect Flag, as explained in the crimewatch blog). This allows anyone in the vicinity of the suspect to engage him legally.

An additional functionality is that you can allow other players to use your kill right. You can mark any of your kill rights as open and set a price on using it. This price can be any ISK value you want, including 0. There is a new bracket icon for open kill rights, so spotting players with an available kill right on them will be easy.

Kill rights are bought “on the spot” in space, i.e. if you select a player in space and that player has a kill right on him for sale, you can buy & activate (one action) it right then and there. This immediately puts a Suspect Flag on the target, thus allowing you and others in your vicinity to attack the target. If the target player is killed while under a Suspect flag, then the kill right is ‘spent’. If the target manages to escape and the Suspect flag timer (15 minutes) lapses, the kill right is still available to be purchased (activated) later on.

Kill rights will continue to have a lifespan of 30 days."

http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=73443

http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=73446

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• chafinchafin Member UncommonPosts: 14
    People will stop messing around so much once it's not new anymore. I'm sure thousands of people are posting bounties on random people right now because it's new.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by ChoadSauce

Disclosure: I'm a carebear....i dont troll or pirate or anything like that.....i'm just a boring ol trader / miner....I have 5.0 security status

So I log in.....I'm just sitting in Amarr, looking at market prices.....then I get a bounty on my head, 2 million. I think wtf??

I convo the person and ask him whats up? he gives me some dumbass wannabe troll answers, then adds another mil to the bounty.  I close the convo before he gets more ideas.

I go on eve uni chat channel....and ask a question about bounty's, I ask if concord still works the same. Meaning, even if I have bounty, concord will still intervene if I'm in high sec blah blah.....just trying to watch my ass you know? Next thing I know, 3 people from the eve uni chat channel add an additional mil bounty to me each. 

As funny as this all is....you gotta admit, this is kinda bullshit. by next week, every single person in new Eden are going to be considered "wanted"

There goes immersion

Now if I want a clean record persay....i gotta go out in null or low and die a buncha times.....ugh

Info on Bounty Hunting

http://www.eveonline.com/retribution/bounty-hunting/

http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=73446

Keep in mind that bounties have no effect on who can be attacked legally where. That means if you're usually hanging out in Empire, the only way to really take you out is a suicide gank. More than likely the payout wouldn't be worth it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ChoadSauceChoadSauce Member Posts: 91

I understand now that it has no effect on concord etc......I don't know, I just dont like the fact that you can place bounties on anyone.....a noob is going to ask for help in a help channel and get bountied.....then he'll become intimidated...and be scared to leave station...etc..

This is going to be the new eve greeting lol

I just think its dumb how literally every single character in eve now is going to have a "wanted" sticker on their avatar now.

Will the bounty go away after a certain ammount of time of nobody claims it?

_The Sauce Man

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    No.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

TBH I have no idea why they set the minimum bounty amount so low. Nobody will think twice before posting a 100k bounty and nobody will think twice about suicide ganking because of a 100k bounty.

I would say 10 million a minimum for a single character, 100 million for a corporation and one billion for an alliance. That would at least make some sense.

• S4ndurS4ndur Member UncommonPosts: 19

Asked a question in help channel (where's the jukebox <- removed btw) and even that gave me  a couple of new bounties ^^

I dont mind. I do empire ganking for living + I'm in an alliance that's on the top10 wanted list.

I do have to remove my jf alt from it though since even the 20% payout  from ship loss would cover ganking ships...

For PVPrs it nothing but good news. More income o/

Catch you on the planetside!

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

There goes immersion

You are over-reacting. Getting a bounty on your head doesn't remove CONCORD protection from you. (it never did).

That said, lots of people are making the same mistake you are and attacking people with bounties, thinking that CONCORD will let them do it. Then they get CONCORDED.

So maybe avoid flying anything fragile for a few days until the idiots wise up and get the idea. After that it'll pretty much be business as usual for you, assuming that you don't generally go around provoking people, then it won't affect you much. No one is going to go very far out of their way for 3 mill. 

It's just that at the moment everyone's like a kid in a toystore, bountying everyone in sight.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Incidentally, the phrase is "per se" not 'persay'. It's Latin for "as such".

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Yes you're overreacting, and no you can't have a "clean record" if someone wants to pay to have you killed.  That's part of MMO's and life, you can't always get what you want.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Disclosure: I'm a carebear....i dont troll or pirate or anything like that.....i'm just a boring ol trader / miner....I have 5.0 security status So I log in.....I'm just sitting in Amarr, looking at market prices.....then I get a bounty on my head, 2 million. I think wtf?? I convo the person and ask him whats up? he gives me some dumbass wannabe troll answers, then adds another mil to the bounty.  I close the convo before he gets more ideas.I go on eve uni chat channel....and ask a question about bounty's, I ask if concord still works the same. Meaning, even if I have bounty, concord will still intervene if I'm in high sec blah blah.....just trying to watch my ass you know? Next thing I know, 3 people from the eve uni chat channel add an additional mil bounty to me each. As funny as this all is....you gotta admit, this is kinda bullshit. by next week, every single person in new Eden are going to be considered "wanted" There goes immersion Now if I want a clean record persay....i gotta go out in null or low and die a buncha times.....ugh am i just over exaggerating? anyone else feel this way?

Agreed. It is nicely said - oversight.

That's CCP these days...

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

People never needed a bounty to suicide gank a miner.

That said, depending on what you fly, the payout (percentage of total loss) will not make suicide ganking profitable either.

So......nothing has changed for you?

Originally posted by BizkitNL

but lets be honest: people have never needed a bounty to take someone out :P.

That pretty much beats the point of bounties - something people would chase and kill players for.

Basically you say that new BH system is pointless and it provides just little extra credits for the kill. Something I would agree on...

Originally posted by Gdemami

but lets be honest: people have never needed a bounty to take someone out :P.

That pretty much beats the point of bounties - something people would chase and kill players for.

Basically you say that new BH system is pointless and it provides just little extra credits for the kill. Something I would agree on...

Ninja edit :P.

Anyhoo, the current system is actually pretty good. A ganked miner can sell the killright, enacting vengeance through someone else. Plus, it also opens up the bounty-hunter profession. Or rather improves it.

And if you're the kind of guy that just straight-up shoots people, you will probably even make more isk now :).

A ganked miner can sell the killright, enacting vengeance through someone else. Plus, it also opens up the bounty-hunter profession. Or rather improves it.

Wrong, it does not.

You say that someone is going to PAY for being able to collect CAPPED bounty. That does not make a least economical sense.

There is not really an improvement over old system in terms of Bounty Hunting concept, it is just broken in different way.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

There goes immersion

Agreed. It is nicely said - oversight.

That's CCP these days...

Lol. You have ALLWAYS been able to do this. Nothing has changed. Payout have changed, and its easier to do. But everyone has always been able to put bounties on everyone in EVE. Thats kind of the idea of bounty hunting. I sooooo do not get hte problem.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by BizkitNLA ganked miner can sell the killright, enacting vengeance through someone else. Plus, it also opens up the bounty-hunter profession. Or rather improves it.

Wrong, it does not.

You say that someone is going to PAY for being able to collect CAPPED bounty. That does not make a least economical sense.

There is not really an improvement over old system in terms of Bounty Hunting concept, it is just broken in different way.

The only part that matters is whether or not somebody can profit by doing bounty hunting. If it is possible to profit as an individual or as a group, some person or group will do it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Sentime
    Yes you're overreacting, and no you can't have a "clean record" if someone wants to pay to have you killed.  That's part of MMO's and life, you can't always get what you want.

In all fairness, there probably should be some sort of timer on bounties, so that they expire after a period of time unless the originator pays another fee to keep them going, much like a warranty.

There actually should be ways for players to clear their record, especially from random bounties that have no relationship to any sort of criminal act.

Doing something to be a jerk or "funny" should never really be a rewarding motivation in a virtual world MMORPG.

Maybe it would have been more fun if the person who got the bounty put on them would in turn have the right to purchase kill rights against their persecutor.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Sentime

In all fairness, there probably should be some sort of timer on bounties, so that they expire after a period of time unless the originator pays another fee to keep them going, much like a warranty.

There actually should be ways for players to clear their record, especially from random bounties that have no relationship to any sort of criminal act.

Doing something to be a jerk or "funny" should never really be a rewarding motivation in a virtual world MMORPG.

Maybe it would have been more fun if the person who got the bounty put on them would in turn have the right to purchase kill rights against their persecutor.

In the end there are only so much ISK people are willing to use to be "funny". I mean somebodu have to PAY for the bounties.

It was never a problem before (as I said above, you have allways been able to place random bounties in EVE), I dont see why it is suddenly a problem.

Right now its new and shiny, and people are having thier fun. It will pass soon enough.

A ganked miner can sell the killright, enacting vengeance through someone else. Plus, it also opens up the bounty-hunter profession. Or rather improves it.

Wrong, it does not.

You are (again) assuming the worst. A killright can be sold for a whopping 0 isk :).

Originally posted by BizkitNLYou are (again) assuming the worst. A killright can be sold for a whopping 0 isk :).

Yep, so that you can get rid of kill right with your alt just like you got rid of bounties under old system...

However, my point was that instead of recycling FW mechanics, there could be entirely new concept created.

Originally posted by hfzttBut everyone has always been able to put bounties on everyone in EVE. Thats kind of the idea of bounty hunting. I sooooo do not get hte problem.

Not really.

I cannot recall whether some other conditions were required but you could only place bounties on people with -1.0 security rating and below.

That makes somewhat sense, unlike now.

Wrong, it does not.

IIRC, you think it's broken because it can't be easily collected by the person it's placed on?

There are limitations on the bounty system, but to say that it's not an improvement on not having a bounty system is like saying the market is unnecessary because people can just do direct trades if they want to buy/sell stuff. It's not that you couldn't pay players to shoot other players before, it's just that now there's a proper mechanic to facilitate it.

Originally posted by hfztt

But everyone has always been able to put bounties on everyone in EVE. Thats kind of the idea of bounty hunting. I sooooo do not get hte problem.

Not really.

I cannot recall whether some other conditions were required but you could only place bounties on people with -1.0 security rating and below.

That makes somewhat sense, unlike now.

So if I looted your corp wallet and hanger, you shouldn't be able to place a bounty on me?

Rubbish.

Sec status refers to the player's standing with CONCORD. It's nothing whatsoever to do with your standings with other players. Granted, some motivations to put bounties on other players are also related to sec status, but many more aren't. Why should it matter a bit to you what my standing to CONCORD is if I've annoyed you enough to put a price on my head?

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

You are (again) assuming the worst. A killright can be sold for a whopping 0 isk :).

Yep, so that you can get rid of kill right with your alt just like you got rid of bounties under old system...

However, my point was that instead of recycling FW mechanics, there could be entirely new concept created.

Someone already figured out how to scam with it.

- Build up kill rights using an alt, wait for someone to buy the kill right, then you can just delete it. The person who paid for the Kill right doesn't get their ISK back, you are laughing all the way to the bank.