Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Alpha Video!

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Newest Alpha Video has just been released. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N4G854ANo0&feature=g-all-u

Comments

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445
    Looks pretty solid for Alpha. Indeed, nothing wildly impressive or new, but at this point I'm not expecting wildly impressive or new. I can see myself playing this and enjoying it.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    WOW, not to sound a complete idiot but who in there right mind could endure such pathetic combat.  I thought Vanguard was slow when I tried it a few months ago but this takes the frikken cake.  Sure the scenery and gfx look amazing and the UI 'isn't half bad, but that combat is lets jsut say........the worse thing I have ever seen in an MMO.  It may as well go complete turn base liek the old FF games.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

I've played Guild Wars 2 Combat, I enjoyed it a great deal --- but that doesn't mean I'm going to expect it from every game I play. Heck I love Monster Hunter, but most games don't seem to want to play as fluidly as that game does.

Currently this version of Final Fantasy XIV looks like it throws much more back to FFXI and its turned based roots. Yes you stand still, but that doesn't shock me a bunch. If you noticed the spells, the caster was ROOTED to the ground during the casting. So that alone will tell you exactly what kind of game this is supposed to be.

I'm a fan of subtly myself, and I can live it with because the spell casting animations are actually pretty solid. I was displeased with the Lancer, because too much FLASHY FLASH and I couldn't see what was going on.

Additionally, I like some of the new stuff. Like Water is an instant cast with a MASSIVE knock back. I hope that stays in.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Although archaic by todays standards, it looks like FFXI with updated graphics, which is EXACTLY what everyone wanted in the first place. The combat is not meant to be "realistic" with flashy movement and dodging etc... it's meant to be tactical with regards to the timing, and knowing when to use what skills. I will give it a try because I like the abstract way it works. It's not going to be for everyone though, that's for sure.
    Originally posted by ironhelix
     it looks like FFXI with updated graphics, which is EXACTLY what everyone wanted in the first place.

Exacly why I'm going to give this one a go, because the combat looks like Final Fantasy XI, which I enjoyed a great deal.

• RaveiceRaveice Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    WOW, not to sound a complete idiot but who in there right mind could endure such pathetic combat.  I thought Vanguard was slow when I tried it a few months ago but this takes the frikken cake.  Sure the scenery and gfx look amazing and the UI 'isn't half bad, but that combat is lets jsut say........the worse thing I have ever seen in an MMO.  It may as well go complete turn base liek the old FF games.

The Bad

Combat - This could be a gray area, but not for me.  The combat is static.  The player just stood there while giant boars hit her.  When I saw "Dodge" text flow up I thought, "But she didn't dodge.  She just stood there."  That is a huge negative for me now.  Combat doesn't have to be total action like TERA or RaiderZ, but at least a hybrid like GW2 - a mix of action bar skills, soft-lock targetting, and active dodging.  It just feels like they polished a really nice 

I play the alpha beta and I agree that some small problems with the combat system, but not much.

This person who did this clip eh not very good at using the game's combat system. He stands there and just press buttons. You can stun the target and go behind the monsters and use an lethal attack and he does not use any skillchains which you also can use. So yes, more is useless clip in combat but shows anyway how to do quest.

But i wouldent call worst ihave seen alot worse alot. Iwould call it more most normal combat system out there already.

But this is still an alpha test and developer teams are constantly working to improve the game so what you see on this clip may not be the 100% finished version.

I play archer and there it happens that you see an animation dodge an attack.

Yes think the animation will get better but we'll see, but it's like nothing I disturbs me in exactly. I want a game that you can play and enjoy. I played FFXI for 6 years and since there has not been an end online games that yes been able to play more than 2

years.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

It does look pretty bad...

The graphics are obviously great but now it's starting to look like TERA without the awesome combat.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180
    ok...this is only an "alpha" :S omega video...but look so bad and lame...wow !!! i don't see myself playing 2 hours with this combat...i jump over the window!!!graphic look ok...but few game out are better graphic... so...this game isn't for me
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Gridania map still looks a bit linear and not as open as I thought it would be.  The Graphics look really nice though as expected.  I really like to see what they done with the crafting though, as it was to painful for me in version 1.0.  Can't wait to get back into the game and rejoin all my LS buddies.
  • VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I'm assuming you've never played EQ1 or FFXI? Both games are significantly slower in combat. Personally I don't mind. The evolution of combat in the genre doesn't have to be only twitch.

Hell I enjoy twitch combat, but I do miss RPG combat. You know the kind determined by stats, RNG, and tactics. I'm taking a wait and see approach, but I would really love it if they evolve the slower paced RPG style combat.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Hmm, I have really mixed feelings about this.

The Bad

Combat - This could be a gray area, but not for me.  The combat is static.  The player just stood there while giant boars hit her.  When I saw "Dodge" text flow up I thought, "But she didn't dodge.  She just stood there."  That is a huge negative for me now.  

Dodge kicks in based on your stats, vs the lvl of the monster your in combat with.  Pretty much  based on the old dice roll system. If my memory serves me correctly (though i'm sure I'll be corrected), Dexterity will play an intrigual part on how well you dodge aswel as your ability to crit.  Thiefs and Dragoons were primarly Dex based and archers to I think.

Another thing you could do in version 1.0 was the ability to break horns on rams and other limbs, successful break would increase a chance to obtain a rare crafting mat. just thought i would chuck that in for some of you thats interested, hoping they keep that in with version 2.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by drivendawn

WOW, blah blah blah i like action combat. Ok we get it you want action combat and thats your opinion, but some of us like the tactic style combat so we are nutty not your game move on. lol 

Well sad for you because this is not tactic combat because it is still in real time and not turn based. It looks turn based because of how slow and in place it is. But in reality, its not.

This game will be as unpopular as its failed predecessor.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

I'm personally cool with most of the video. However, one question did crop up for me. Is click-targeting the only way to target mobs or are there keyboard shortcuts?

Macros should be available to sub target and target nearest, I think you can use the tab key to target nearest. You can also or should be able to macro swap gear and cast spells and create hot keys. Macroing was and is very much required and is encouraged, especially as you have multiple jobs eventually.

You can also play with a PS controller, Some players with pc's play using the controller rather than the KB + mouse.  All down to preference.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by ZigZags

WOW, blah blah blah i like action combat. Ok we get it you want action combat and thats your opinion, but some of us like the tactic style combat so we are nutty not your game move on. lol 

Well sad for you because this is not tactic combat because it is still in real time and not turn based. It looks turn based because of how slow and in place it is. But in reality, its not.

This game will be as unpopular as its failed predecessor.

Yes it is just because its not turn baced doesn't mean its not tactical.

If you think that style of combat is tactical I feel for you.  I would take tera's combat over that anyday of the week and twice on Sunday and Its safe to say I am not a fan of Tera's combat.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    final fantasy xiv V1 had mash button combat I liked it the community most did not so patch 1.20 I think added auto attack then I quit. BUT I like how its looking now its like XI but now main stream and that's what 90% of us wanted . By us the final fantasy community from XI

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    and you can see the fast combat pre auto attack about 10 threads down called LMAO found video of me and ls . All that was pre auto attack people did not like it so it whent auto attack

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Why would people leave their current game for this one?! It looks like every other themepark mmo on the market. But...if the final crafting project appeals to me, I will be playing it anyway.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Hmm, I have really mixed feelings about this.

The Good

UI - I really like how polished the UI looks. That is important to me.  It looks a lot like the Aion UI which I really liked.

Quest Item Usage - I like how the player could use quest items from the UI.  It's a small but really nice quality of life feature.

Graphics - Probably not a shocker, but the game world is beautiful.  I would have to see more of how the npcs act and interact and how towns and outposts are constructed, but the quality of graphics even at this point is worth a 10 in my book.

Quest Rewards - It looked like the selection of rewards was decent with 3 types of rewards in the examples.

The Bad

Combat - This could be a gray area, but not for me.  The combat is static.  The player just stood there while giant boars hit her.  When I saw "Dodge" text flow up I thought, "But she didn't dodge.  She just stood there."  That is a huge negative for me now.  Combat doesn't have to be total action like TERA or RaiderZ, but at least a hybrid like GW2 - a mix of action bar skills, soft-lock targetting, and active dodging.  It just feels like they polished a really nice version of 5 - 7 year old combat.  It's a step backwards for me.

Quest Text - Even the player in the video didn't stop to read the text and what little I could glance seemed rote with the stand prosaic blah blah blah.

Quest Rewards - Yeah, this gets a good and bad.  This is another boring throwback - run quest, click through text, grab reward.  Boring.

Overall, this isn't what I was expecting to see out of a reboot.  I've been watching this game for a long time now (since version 1) and it just feels dated and done, even though the graphics look new and beautiful.  It doesn't look and feel like Final Fantasy to me either but that's just me stuck back in some old nostalgic console experience.  I could easily get past that if the game didn't look very bland.  I could replace that footage with rift, wow, eq2, etc.  The main difference from this video seems to be the graphics.  Are they going to sell it on the graphics alone?

I'll keep watching though.  It's only one video and it's early.  That was just my initial reaction.

I'm so damn sick of dodging with my thief in GW2!!! I'm glad I can relax a bit with this game ;)

edit:  Also the devs have said a lot of the animations wont be put in game until beta..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• HarutoHaruto Member Posts: 175
    Looks nice and the combat seems fluid, just wish it didn't look so much like WoW. Not that it can be avoided these days.  Rather Enjoyed FFXI, despite the keyboard/mouse controls being a bit odd since it was built around a PS2 controller, and I did enjoy setting up all of my macros to properly execute abilites. Made it seem more like you were actually working to get setup properly rather then just tossing a button on the hatbar like it is now.

Eve Online, a world of infinite possibility. Click here for an extended Trial
    Dark-Wind Its War on Wheels!

• Sovereign1Sovereign1 Member Posts: 7

I think this looks awesome. The UI, the graphics, animations, and combat all look very polished. I love how the spell with cast bar pops up on your character along with the spell name and icon, how the damage and combat messeges are displayed and how they flow and fade on screen. I love the text that they use for the UI and combat messages, as well as the colors and how they stand out and kind of glow.

There's a lot of little nuances in what I'm seeing that look good to me. I also really love how this is starting to feel more like Final Fantasy -- the monsters, the sounds, the look. 

In terms of combat, it looks like any other game out there, but one thing about FF games is there's certainly more than meets the eye. Final Fantasy XI's combat was entirely auto-attacking, which built up TP that you then used to unleash weapon skills. You also had a handful of class skills that were usually on large cool-downs. But, despite long periods of auto-attacking, I've yet to play a game where the combat required more focus and attention to detail to be successful than XI.

It wasn't just about mashing buttons or running around and dodging like total spazz; it was about cadence, timing, conservation, and communication. Hopefully that still rings true in XIV.

• Sovereign1Sovereign1 Member Posts: 7
    The one thing I am extremely disappointed in so far is that I haven't made the cut for Alpha in 3 send outs now. In fact, I didn't make any of the cuts for Beta for 1.0 the last go around. These guys seem to have it out for me. ;)
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    having played the original this looks a little better..i dont mind the wow concept even though  its been done to death.to me its all about atmosphere..if the game has that then i will play.i,m certainly going to give it a chance.i loved the world..just hope they have'nt dumbed down the crafting too much because i enjoyed it.time will tell wether or not i will stick it out.
  • XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Originally posted by Sovereign1

I think this looks awesome. The UI, the graphics, animations, and combat all look very polished. I love how the spell with cast bar pops up on your character along with the spell name and icon, how the damage and combat messeges are displayed and how they flow and fade on screen. I love the text that they use for the UI and combat messages, as well as the colors and how they stand out and kind of glow.

There's a lot of little nuances in what I'm seeing that look good to me. I also really love how this is starting to feel more like Final Fantasy -- the monsters, the sounds, the look. 

In terms of combat, it looks like any other game out there, but one thing about FF games is there's certainly more than meets the eye. Final Fantasy XI's combat was entirely auto-attacking, which built up TP that you then used to unleash weapon skills. You also had a handful of class skills that were usually on large cool-downs. But, despite long periods of auto-attacking, I've yet to play a game where the combat required more focus and attention to detail to be successful than XI.

It wasn't just about mashing buttons or running around and dodging like total spazz; it was about cadence, timing, conservation, and communication. Hopefully that still rings true in XIV.

I agree about the principles that made FFXI successful, and I see shades of them here; I have reservations until I see some group content, but this seems promising.  Compared to the alternatives in the same vein--WOW, Rift, Aion, to name a few--I would rather play this game based on this video, all other things being equal.

Having played GW2 and Tera, I'll gladly concede that active dodging has its appeal.  It's fun, unique, and innovative, but as others have said, I don't think it needs to represent the only possible avenue for future development of the genre.  FFXI and EQ1 had rewarding combat in large part because it moved more slowly and was, for most players, less twitchy.  That meant players had time to hold conversations, unlike in GW2 where one's hands are always occupied with abilities, movement, and positioning, even between fights (I can't even call them pulls anymore, and that's a tragedy all its own).

I think animations for such things as dodging are appropriate and needful regardless of whether the dodging is active or statistic-based, just because we have the technology to support that, but I also feel it's disingenuous to suggest that active dodging is somehow more realistic than a dodge-by-dice system.  In an actual fight, you can't just jump and roll out of the way of everything coming at you, especially if your opponent has a meaningful weapon.  And if there's a fire, you can't just roll around and avoid all damage--it might put you out if you're on fire yourself, but try rolling back and forth in a burning building and you're going to die.  I don't say that to criticize any and all active dodging systems, but only to suggest that both systems have things about them that are accurate and things that aren't.  If anything, positioning-as-avoidance should have a place in MMO's going forward, but it should never completely overtake all alternatives.  Action-oriented combat is in vogue right now, but there are still plenty of us who think Lancer was the best thing about Tera because it meant that often you could just stand still and hold up your shield.

My one criticism with this video is that the quest exp is disproportionately high when compared to mob exp.  This concerns me because it seems like, at least at a glance, this would make solo questing a more efficient way to level than grouping in the open world, which was what made Zilart-era FFXI so appealing from a community-building standpoint.  That's an easy numbers fix though, and I think those of us who favor that play style have a moral duty to lobby to see this fixed.  I don't want soloing to be the easiest way to level for every class.  It should be efficient for one--maybe two--classes, but everybody else should get a better gain from grouping up, because damnit, it's Final Fantasy.  If players don't have to cooperate to succeed, then all the polish and Westernization in the world won't give those of us who hold XI in high esteem what we're looking for.

Peace and safety.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    I wouldn't count om the group content, in normal ff14 it was piss easy to hit cap as a combat job, The monsters are just way to easy to kill and its going to be even worse now that you start with full tp bar every single fight, square has just made the game pointless pretty much, I was all for ff14 reborn, but now I am unsure, especally since I heard they  bascally copy and pasted wow into ff14.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Originally posted by Siveria
    I wouldn't count om the group content, in normal ff14 it was piss easy to hit cap as a combat job, The monsters are just way to easy to kill and its going to be even worse now that you start with full tp bar every single fight, square has just made the game pointless pretty much, I was all for ff14 reborn, but now I am unsure, especally since I heard they  bascally copy and pasted wow into ff14.

Don't kid yourself, you have seen a little bit of single player combat and you make assumptions based on 5 mins gameplay.