Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In Vanilla, how long did it take you to reach max level?

ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Just gathering some info to test a hypothosis of mine.

How long did it take you to level your first toon in Vanilla?

and as a follow-up;

How long after that did it take to prepare before being raid ready? (i.e. how long did it take you to gear up; complete necessary quests, etc.)

Comments

• MeriikMeriik Member UncommonPosts: 60

I leveled almost entirely healing dungeons as a priest and it took me a little over 20 days played time.  Granted i wasnt a power gamer at the time and it took me 6 months but thats like a snails pace compared to these newer games.  I would also like to add that it was some of the best fun i've ever had in a video game.

As for the follow up i was pulled into a raid that night when i dinged 60 i had semi decent gear cause i just did dungeons.

• samooryesordsamooryesord Member UncommonPosts: 96

I got my rogue from 1-60 in a little over 4 months. And I had no life back then. I also got distracted by every little shiny ore vein i'd see.. so my leveling may have been slower then some. I did it entirely solo too, skipped every dungeon and regretted it after lol. Sucks though, now it's 1-80 in a few days. Got a huntard from 1-80 in 32 hours (playtime) once, deleted it after cause I hate hunters lolz.. Just had to make a point to a friend =P They really messed up the leveling curve since vanilla.. Way to easy to hit end game.

Follow up: took me several weeks of begging for dungeon invites from my guild cause I was probably the only player with crap gear at the time so no one wanted me and everyone was selfish.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Jan.1st 2006 started a troll rogue.

March 19th 2006 hit level 60, my first 60.

78 days.  I don't know how much actual gametime I spent.

Leveling was much more difficult back then, especially for brand new players who didn't use any addons.  I did have the luxury of being in a guild with a lot of veteran players who were eager to help me every step of the way.

• jackwu10jackwu10 Member Posts: 127

if i remember correctly, that last few levels, like from 55 on wards, took like 2-3 days just to level, all from questing. i think it took me around a month~

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I never capped in Vanilla, started a week or two before BC released.  BC took 15 days played to hit 70, so 360 hours.

I didn't do much goofing off either.  I had friends already at Vanilla cap when I started.  It was a struggle to catch them.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • dorksmetaldorksmetal Member Posts: 77

about 4 months from 1-60 for myself. and i was working full time and going to school part time.  

took about 4 weeks to gear up if you where doing stuff every night. 

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I would say probably about 2-3 months.  I did a lot of grinding from 55-60.  I remember where I was at 40 (when I got my mount) and where I was when I hit 60.  I felt like I won the super-bowl!

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    I would say probably about 2-3 months.  I did a lot of grinding from 55-60.  I remember where I was at 40 (when I got my mount) and where I was when I hit 60.  I felt like I won the super-bowl!

I still have screenshots of us getting normal mounts at 40.  Yeah, it did feel like a huge achievement.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

the record before BC release I believe was a shade over 6 days /played.  thats with lots and lots of study of optimal quest routes and such.

you could probably double that for the average player's first character, so 12 days played.  12X24 = 288 hours.  Thats about 2.5 months at 4 hours per day.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Very first 60 took about three weeks, with very, very heavy play. I ground 55-60 out at Corin's Crossing in EPL.

Second 60, a druid, had 20 days played when she dinged as restobear - the lowest possible DPS in the game. I mucked around on her over a period of about four months before finally leveling.

The second hunter took about two weeks, on a new server - we were kings of the hill then Horde side and it was great. After drama ate that guild I made a priest, another two weeks, then left, made a warlock on another server - took about a month for it as I poked around around with my guild a ton.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Around 3-4 months if memory serves. I did a heck of alot of world PvP before the actual PvP system was implemented though. Did alot of Ashenvale and Southshore PvP, but past the levels of those places I ground out PvE to max though dungeons mostly.
  • HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

about 3 months. i could only play at a friends because of internet issues.

BC took me 20 hours to hit 70. I took a week off of work and ended up just grinding for 20 hours while my gf fed me. It was pretty exciting! I got the last CE box from the local fred meyers and had a blast. To bad the game is just worse and worse since BC. They fired the wrong people back then, thats for sure. The fluke that was WoW will never happen again. Not for an mmorpg. Most likely it will be for an MMOFPS. (sry planetside 2 you aint that good)

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    my first level 60 (a NE Druid) took almost 3 months (10 weeks at least in early 2005). i was never bored, nor did i wish the time to go any faster. i played regularly, but not for many hours/day. a shame, in hindsight, i could never again be so patient with leveling a character given the amount of time invested, even though i now still play several games where i have not reached the level cap (GW2, FE, STO). other games i play have no cap (EVE, WoT, MWO). it was simply a different time, when things were not so rushed. no one thought really to "be the first" to level 60 back then...*sigh*...
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    I never hit cap in vanallia i'd get to about lv 40 then decide to make a new class. But even getting to level 40 took a while, not like wow today where you can hit the cap in a day or 2 (if you know what your doing) because its been made so pointlessly easy. I played the orignal wow during closed beta and then at the first day of release. Was a pretty fun game back then due to it kinda feeling new (to me anyway never played eq1/2 at the time). My signature pretty much sums out why wow was so successful, and it has 0 to do with the game being any good, they just released the right product at the perfect timing. It also says why most games like swtor etc that try to clone wow crash and burn, its because the market is kinda tired of that type of gameplay I think.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Originally posted by 9reesracer9
    my first level 60 (a NE Druid) took almost 3 months (10 weeks at least in early 2005). i was never bored, nor did i wish the time to go any faster. i played regularly, but not for many hours/day. a shame, in hindsight, i could never again be so patient with leveling a character given the amount of time invested, even though i now still play several games where i have not reached the level cap (GW2, FE, STO). other games i play have no cap (EVE, WoT, MWO). it was simply a different time, when things were not so rushed. no one thought really to "be the first" to level 60 back then...*sigh*...

Heh yeah, back then no one really cared about hitting cap, they were just having fun with the game, soemthing most mmo players today forget to have, whole point of a game is to have fun, if your just going to rush to cap for pointless raiding why bother? Raiding in most games is pretty dead end, mostly due to the fact there is nothing else to use the gear for except more raids. Its why a bit before cata came out I played wow again, got a paladin to 80 then quit the game, because I didn't feel the raiding was worth my time due to nothing to use the gear for. Only mmo I know of where raid gear has a use other than more raids is probally everquest 2. Since you can mentor down for dungeons you missed, or go into pvp with it etc.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Oh god pretty long even when was grinding mobs.....a lvl every 2-4h?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Took me months to level my warrior ...

... best time ever :)

dinging 60 was a god-like feeling back in the day.  55-60 took me 2 evenings playtime per level.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

About 16 days playtime to level 60 on my alts, can't remember what my first char was. A lot longer, probably.

Getting raid ready? Hitting 60 was raid ready. When MC came out the attunement was super easy. Even soloable for a few classes.

The only real time sink was Onyxia attunement.

What's your hypothesis? That the game got easier?

Maybe, but with the latest expansion, it's a bit harder to enter even LFR, though the barrier does seem more artificial now (iLVL requirements).

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

it took a while that's for sure.  leveled as a shockadin the first time around as that was about the only viable way to as a pally and it took me about 3-4 months to hit 60.  55-60 was a grindfest for sure.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Honestly, I don't recall.  I remember watching one of our servers first 60 paladins in our guild fighting like 40 horde near TM, all of them beating on him and him just wrecking them.

Wish I could check!  Prolly was a few months.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Jan.1st 2006 started a troll rogue.

March 19th 2006 hit level 60, my first 60.

78 days.  I don't know how much actual gametime I spent.

Leveling was much more difficult back then, especially for brand new players who didn't use any addons.  I did have the luxury of being in a guild with a lot of veteran players who were eager to help me every step of the way.

Almost exactly the same for me.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

My 1st character was a Druid (damn my guild for not going Horde because I wanted to play a Shaman) and it took me approximately 3 months of fairly hardcore time (10+ hours a day) to get to level 50.  Of course I never used forms to level, I do not ever remember killing one Mob in cat or Bear form, my means of killing was openeing up with a Starfire, then weaving in Moonfires between Hammer swings LOL.  I was pretty terribad.

My 2nd toon was a Shaman, made when my Guild quit and went back to DAoC and I rerolled to Argent Dawn server and got my Shaman to level 50 in about a month and a half with about 10 hours per day play.

My Third Character was a Warrior that took me about 3 weeks because I twinked the hell out of him.

My fourth and final "main" was my Death Knight and I was 4th DK to ding 80 on the server, I even beat most of guild who started the expansion from level 70. image

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    I was kinda noobish when I first started playing WoW. Before I played WoW I played Runescape for 1 1/2 years, most my time leveling in WoW was grinding mobs over and over. I really didn't pay attention to quests hubs all that much, felt like it was easier just grinding mobs. It took me roughly 3 months to level with school and a part time job though.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

almost 2 months and it was awesome when I finally got to the higher lvl zones so I could do few of the higher lvl dungeons like in desolace or burning steppes. Why it took me so long to level up is mostly because I wasn't doing much of the low level dungeons and I was mostly just exploring the world while doing some quests in random zones. I'm also the type of person which has to do every quest, even if it were on the other continent, and since there was no FP in game yet and I had no mount you can imagine why it took me so long to lvl up :D

I really liked the sence of the accomplishment when I finally hit lvl 60 and got my first PVP armor and my first T1/T2 gear later on. It was really a feeling I never had experienced afterwards in WOW and I think it's that's a shame.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

It takes about 5 to 10 played days or more depending on some factors.

5 days its a guy who leveled many toons already and knows where and when to go and what to do...and still he must be doing it really fast with the objective of fast leveling.

Im playing in a blizz like vanilla server, im almost level 40 in a priest..and i got  more then 4 days played.