Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Please recommend some games that meet this criteria?

vlasveldvlasveld vernon, BCPosts: 17Member

I am looking for a new game. I play league of legends and can't take it anymore... the level of trolling and rage in that community is just too much and im startingt to find that the game makes me unhappy. I actually feel grumpy after a day of playing LOL so what is the point right?

I'm looking for something new and fun.

Here is what I am looking for  in a game.

1. Lots of social interaction. I want people to WANT to group and I would like it to be easy to find a group. I enjoying playing with others more than playing solo. This might mean I need to stick with the higher population MMOs? I'd rather not play a dieing game.

2. No pay to win. I dont want a game where spending mroe money means you will do better at the game. I dont care about the price of the game however... i dont care if its free to play or a monthly fee. 

3. I like to play games where you can have a dedicated role. I like games where you have a tank, healer, dps rather than games like GW2 where everyone can heal themselves.

4. Some sort of fun end game content like raiding or pvp.

5. Ability to make your character unique and stand out. I like it when your hard working raiding or getting new gear looks different. I hate games where a level 10 character looks the same as a guy who has put in hours and hours of play time.

6. A ranking system would be great if we are talking about PVP... even like a ladder or something. I will mostly PVE though so its not crutial. 

Any ideas?

WOW, EVE, PS2, TERA? Any of these sound like they might work?

Comments

• yaminsuxyaminsux KajangPosts: 812Member Uncommon

Looking at your criteria, WoW met 5/6 of your points presented.

6/6 would be FFXI, but that game is long gone with abyssea introduced.

Edit: Might worth checking rift, I never played it so I cant say much.

• vlasveldvlasveld vernon, BCPosts: 17Member
    Originally posted by yaminsux

What part was WOW missing?

• yaminsuxyaminsux KajangPosts: 812Member Uncommon
    Point 4.
  • Vunak23Vunak23 In your house eatin'' your cookies, FLPosts: 635Member

If you want skill to be 90% of your play and not gear I would go with TERA. It still has the gear gaps, but when I was level capped in fresh gear I was taking people out with  +9 PvP weapons and armor. Seen one person take out groups of people, yes plural. Multiple groups at once just from being a better player. Seen 6 people take on alliances. The game is really a great PvP game. PVE can get repetitive just like any other MMO. 

Its Korean but its not as grindy as most Korean games. Meaning it wont take you 2 years to get to level cap. Took me two weeks about for my first 60 and only about a week or so for my second. Grouping really speeds up the leveling process. I have been thinking about jumping back into this game myself actually. 

Its a great game. Has its flaws but a great game none the less. It now has a ladder pvp system I believe. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Excellent, I look at Tera some more! Thanks so much for the responses.
  • phantomghostphantomghost Atlanta, GAPosts: 692Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by vlasveld

Point 1, 3, 4, 5 is what I see WoW missing.

I only tried Tera in the beta... it was too much like WoW for me to continue.  But I have already made a decision that any game that is set up to having questing as a viable source of xp, is not the game for me. 

Good luck finding a game. 

If you do like WoW, you will probably like Tera though.

photo SIG_zpszteuyd0ejpg
    Originally posted by phantomghost

I only tried Tera in the beta... it was too much like WoW for me to continue.  But I have already made a decision that any game that is set up to having questing as a viable source of xp, is not the game for me. 

What popular games right now don't have questing as the way to get exp?

• potacopotaco Hoffman Estates, ILPosts: 82Member

If you think WoW is missing all of those things, it's because you have some kind of bias against it. For someone completely new to the game, it's going to hit almost every point on that list.

1) I'll agree for the most part. You can easily find groups for heroics and LFR, but there's not a lot of true social interaction unless you join an active guild.

3) How does WoW not have dedicated roles? While most specs are able to solo, each spec has a specific role when grouping with others.

4) WoW doesn't have fun endgame content... like raiding or PVP? WoW has both of those. Whether you find it fun or not is subjective, but both are there in spades.

5) You can make your character unique through transmogrification (which makes a piece of gear look like another piece). Also, each new "tier" has new artwork, etc. A level 10 definitely does not look like a level 90.

Originally posted by potaco

If you think WoW is missing all of those things, it's because you have some kind of bias against it. For someone completely new to the game, it's going to hit almost every point on that list.

1) I'll agree for the most part. You can easily find groups for heroics and LFR, but there's not a lot of true social interaction unless you join an active guild.

3) How does WoW not have dedicated roles? While most specs are able to solo, each spec has a specific role when grouping with others.

4) WoW doesn't have fun endgame content... like raiding or PVP? WoW has both of those. Whether you find it fun or not is subjective, but both are there in spades.

5) You can make your character unique through transmogrification (which makes a piece of gear look like another piece). Also, each new "tier" has new artwork, etc. A level 10 definitely does not look like a level 90.

1.  So you agree.

3. I take the word dedicated to not mean easily change out of a role.  You can have 3 paladins.  1 tanks, 1 dps, 1 heals, that is not dedicated.

4. Like you said fun is subjective, in his criteria he said "fun" therefore my subjective opinion is it does not meet this criteria.

5. When I played everybody wore the same PvP gear because it was so easy to afk in bg to get it.  Then you see every now and then some arena gear being purchased as they slowly earn arena points for playing 10 games.. not even having to win.  Everybody puts the same proc on their weapon so it all glows the same.

photo SIG_zpszteuyd0ejpg
    Originally posted by potaco

1.  So you agree.

3. I take the word dedicated to not mean easily change out of a role.  You can have 3 paladins.  1 tanks, 1 dps, 1 heals, that is not dedicated.

4. Like you said fun is subjective, in his criteria he said "fun" therefore my subjective opinion is it does not meet this criteria.

5. When I played everybody wore the same PvP gear because it was so easy to afk in bg to get it.  Then you see every now and then some arena gear being purchased as they slowly earn arena points for playing 10 games.. not even having to win.  Everybody puts the same proc on their weapon so it all glows the same.

Please get out of my thread

First of all I was commenting to a post you made asking which point was wow missing.  Sorry if you start a thread asking for opinions and do not like when someone states their opinion.

I then still having a hunch you like WoW, stated I think you would like Tera.  Why don't you tell the person who tried to argue with me to leave the thread as his post was clearly meant to argue with me, never once offering a suggestion.

photo SIG_zpszteuyd0ejpg
  • ReesRacerReesRacer Dallas, TXPosts: 155Member Uncommon

if you can overcome the bias of some who will post responses, you will be well-served by trying several games which meet most of your criteria...

WoW -- a fine game with millions of subscribers and a lot of content. i stopped playing years ago, but it was a wonderful experience for quite a while, personally...

TERA -- another very good game that does a lot of things really well, but if you aren't keen on the art style, and some interesting mechanincs, then it may not work for you...

Vanguard -- recently went F2P (a pretty fair system, but some will say not). really great dungeon design and encourages grouping. excellent crafting system and "diplomacy" option is unique. 

Fallen Earth -- also F2P, but there are rough edges. very unique game. very PvP-oriented in end-game, although you can still just PvE, and the crafting system is very deep. find a clan for group-play and it can be a blast. 

PS2 -- i only mention this because you indicated it at the bottom of your post. it doesn't fit most of your requirements, but i can't deny i've been having great fun at it. it is all PvP, all the time. there are most certainly class specific roles to fill. grouping is not only fun, but really necessary for effective play (and easy to do). there is no super-unique armour (different camo-types, however). some may argue (with good points) that it has P2W elements in it, but the fact remains that you can earn everything available in the game by simply playing it. even a level 1 player can kill a level 40 player if he shoots him in the head :)

FFXIV -- due for release early next year, it will reportedly be much like WoW after its redesign. the graphics are unquestionably excellent, and the equipment and weapons are certainly unique. it will likely fit most of your criteria should Square-Enix not screw up the 2.0 version (they likely will, though).

• NetSageNetSage Lake Geneva, WIPosts: 1,040Member Uncommon
    Although not a mmorpg if you're looking for a replacement to LoL I would say try DOTA 2 or HoN.
  • potacopotaco Hoffman Estates, ILPosts: 82Member

First of all I was commenting to a post you made asking which point was wow missing.  Sorry if you start a thread asking for opinions and do not like when someone states their opinion.

I then still having a hunch you like WoW, stated I think you would like Tera.  Why don't you tell the person who tried to argue with me to leave the thread as his post was clearly meant to argue with me, never once offering a suggestion.

I replied to your comment because you were imposing your own bias on the OP and thereby misleading.

If bandwidth is not an issue, I would suggest spending some time doing free trials of the "major" MMOs. A game may meet all your criteria on paper, but if you don't have fun actually playing it, it wouldn't really matter.

• jdnewelljdnewell Spring Hill, TNPosts: 2,150Member Uncommon

You might at least take a look at Rift.

I have not played it in awhile but have kept up with it somewhat. I dont think it has arena type PvP, but they have introduced alot of new elements to both PvE and PvP within the past 6-12 months or so.

Might not fit your bill but worth taking a look at to see if it may be something your interested in.

Originally posted by jdnewell

You might at least take a look at Rift.

I have not played it in awhile but have kept up with it somewhat. I dont think it has arena type PvP, but they have introduced alot of new elements to both PvE and PvP within the past 6-12 months or so.

Might not fit your bill but worth taking a look at to see if it may be something your interested in.

Actually, Rift would be a good choice.  It is my favorite WoW clone if you will. 

It meets all of your criteria, I do not know about fun end game raiding/pvp.  I did like their instanced PvP a good bit more than some of the other games. 

When I played many of the classes were not balanced, for example I tried a class that focused on single target dps, then I realized I was garbage, made a AE focused class, and I was dealing much more damage to not just the single target but anybody around me.  I am sure they have balanaced classes since then.

To comment to the guy who only feels like arguing with me in here, go troll somewhere else.  Read my comments I made it obvious I do not like that genre of games, I also pointed out I only played the game for a short period of time which is important for him to know because if I never went through a good portion of the game, I cannot speak for content I have not played.  As far as biased information goes, if he did not want biased information he should not ask for biased criteria that revolved around others opinions he should have asked for criteria such as, current subscriptions or how many servers, stuff with factual answers.

photo SIG_zpszteuyd0ejpg
  • Vunak23Vunak23 In your house eatin'' your cookies, FLPosts: 635Member

RIFT is a good choice. It has Conquest and BG's that were pretty entertaining for awhile. You only have to create 4 characters to do everything in the game. It has a very very extensive housing system (one of the best i've seen customization wise). The builds can be fun and entertaining. The only thing is the quests are very very very boring. And it is a very easy game to play. Macro's ruin the complexity of the game, with how many abilities you can stack. 

TERA is also a good choice. It is very group oriented. Once you hit level 18-20 you really never have to do another quest again if you don't want and will probably level quicker off BAM's (Big Ass Monsters) in a decent group than doing quests anyway. The combat in TERA blows every other game out of the water, aside from maybe C9 or Vindictus. You have a ladder system with the BG's and soon to come the 3v3 Arena. Also meaningful endgame with the GvG and Politcal Wars. 

Guild Wars 2 might be a good choice for you as well if you havn't played any of the themepark games out right now. They have the WvW mechanic which is fun to get into. The Events are a different twist on questing, even though they aren't dynamic but just scripted. But there are enough of them to do that you won't have to worry to much about them repeating on you. The combat is an upgrade from the standard tab target MMO as well; very fast paced. The only downside is a lot of people say it really has NO interaction at all. Very passive grouping, where nobody talks even in guilds. Guilds really have no meaning in the game right now etc. Plus side is its B2P so no sub cost like the others; Downside is its B2P which is pretty much F2P with an upfront fee (cash shop + Price Tag). 

Out of those three I would try TERA and RIFT first and then possibly GW2. Between RIFT and TERA, I would watch some videos and see which one appeals to you more. 

Do yourself a favor and stay away from WoW. The game is seriously broken with balancing issues. GC is an idiot, (lead Designer with a degree in Marine Biology lol/sad?). Dailies rule the game right now for endgame. And PvP gear is the biggest grind it has ever been.  

EDIT: Also TERA and RIFT both have free trials up to level 20 I believe. So you can easily give them both a try without dropping any cash down on them. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Cstahler92Cstahler92 ormond beach, FLPosts: 93Member

I am looking for a new game. I play league of legends and can't take it anymore... the level of trolling and rage in that community is just too much and im startingt to find that the game makes me unhappy. I actually feel grumpy after a day of playing LOL so what is the point right?

I'm looking for something new and fun.

Here is what I am looking for  in a game.

1. Lots of social interaction. I want people to WANT to group and I would like it to be easy to find a group. I enjoying playing with others more than playing solo. This might mean I need to stick with the higher population MMOs? I'd rather not play a dieing game.

2. No pay to win. I dont want a game where spending mroe money means you will do better at the game. I dont care about the price of the game however... i dont care if its free to play or a monthly fee. 

3. I like to play games where you can have a dedicated role. I like games where you have a tank, healer, dps rather than games like GW2 where everyone can heal themselves.

4. Some sort of fun end game content like raiding or pvp.

5. Ability to make your character unique and stand out. I like it when your hard working raiding or getting new gear looks different. I hate games where a level 10 character looks the same as a guy who has put in hours and hours of play time.

6. A ranking system would be great if we are talking about PVP... even like a ladder or something. I will mostly PVE though so its not crutial. 

Any ideas?

WOW, EVE, PS2, TERA? Any of these sound like they might work?

Edit: Might worth checking rift, I never played it so I cant say much.

Looking at what he said I would say WoW isn't just missing point 4.

1. Even in a high pop. Guild I could never find this. I could find people jsut wanting to group, but I don't consider sitting ina  group, questing, or doing a dungeon with no talking a social itneraction. I joined a lot of Guilds and could never find this in WoW except maybe in 1/20.

and

5. In WoW the only way to make your character look different is transmog becuase the customization on the actual character is dull, outdated, and generic. Even if you transmog if you go the way your character looks cool... Spoiler Alert: There are going to be at least 600 people on your realm who look the same.

If you want to try something different, good community, difficult endgame, and fun PvP I'd say go with TERA. At least try the trial.