Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ncsoft : Massive layoffs and offices undergoing 'realignment'

1235»

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    MK on official forums: "While we are indeed a wholly-owned subsidiary of Korea-based NCsoft Corporation (read NCsoft HQ), we are also our own entity. ArenaNet has not been affected by the NCwest realignment. And indeed, we are hiring: http://www.arena.net/jobs/".
  • itstheclimaxitstheclimax Member Posts: 22

"While we are indeed a wholly-owned subsidiary of Korea-based NCsoft Corporation (read NCsoft HQ), we are also our own entity. ArenaNet has not been affected by the NCwest realignment. And indeed, we are hiring:[1] " -Martin Kerstein

lol, so what's up now guys? they'll probably be hiring those NCwest guys....

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Better luck next time guys. I hope that for your sakes the next bad news coming from NCSoft would actually pertain directly to ANet and GW2, lol.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Originally posted by Kumapon

It looks like there are some bad news coming from Ncsoft. Almost the entire NCwest staff in Seattle has been wacked, and numerous other staff from their other companies. It has also lead people to think their Seattle office may be shutting down.

Rumors have now been going on that Ncsoft will be doing a major 'realignment', putting all their studios under one house. I guess we will have to wait and see...

This could effect all off Ncsofts games including GW2.

PC Gamer

Massivley

This is mainly because of City of heroes / Paragon shutting down. Very little, if anything, to do with GW2. Companies layoff people all the time, ArenaNet won't be affected and that is all that matters. They obviously had to fire some people and move some people around within the company to the accomodate CoH shutdown. Its sad that several news sites (Gamespot, namely) are spinning this as negative PR towards GW2. Hell, some don't even mention CoH in the article.

The ironic part is that ArenaNet is actually hiring. One of the few developers that hire (rather then fire) people this close to launch. Hell, they have been hiring since launch.

• rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Cannot find where in the article it says "massive" layoffs. All i read was "several" employees were affected. Stop lying and stick to the truth op.
    Originally posted by rnor6084
    Cannot find where in the article it says "massive" layoffs. All i read was "several" employees were affected. Stop lying and stick to the truth op.

It does not. Basically, the small group of dudes who were still managing CoH got canned. Now alot of press are spinning this to be something related to GW2 when it will not affect it in any way. 

This is not to say that CoH being shut down was an ethical choice, as it was not. NCSoft is certainly in the wrong there, but this does not have anything to do with ArenaNet. 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by QSatu
    MK on official forums: "While we are indeed a wholly-owned subsidiary of Korea-based NCsoft Corporation (read NCsoft HQ), we are also our own entity. ArenaNet has not been affected by the NCwest realignment. And indeed, we are hiring: http://www.arena.net/jobs/".

Exactly what I thought.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by QSatu

Exactly what I thought.

Yep. Just let the MMORPG.com trolls keep dreaming that this has any impact on GW2. They are going to keep producing monthly content and making lots of money. Sorry, haters.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Abuz0r

NCSofts revamping of every game as free to play shows their desperate twisting and turning to try to show some sort of profit.

I remember from the very first NC game I played (Lineage 2) I got the sincere feeling they were not customer oriented. 

In AION the game was so imbalanced from release that every single server on the network had almost the same outcome.  (One faction had 4 times the amount of  world bosses -spawn 1 time a day- as the other faction, and that faction dominated the other in all outlets of the game due to gear imbalance)

Guildwars 2 had so much potential, another poster summed up how I felt in the game as an underperforming weakling as opposed to an influential hero.

NC has always shown to be unimpressive and typically inundated with Bots and no desire what so ever to please paying customers.

So true man,i got the exact same feeling and going into that game,i heard so many good things about Lineage1.

You know  what has happened badly to gaming?The MEDIA/MARKETING.Full of lies and misleading inmformation to fool consumers into buying their products.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Castillle
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by DMKano

The insider word on the street was that GW2 was underperforming, this pretty much confirms those rumors. 

I hope all those affected land on their feet - layoffs during holiday season is just heartless.

Where did you get this "insider word on the street"?

Obviously from the street o.o

Walken said so:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSH0dhDdoLs

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• gipper36gipper36 Member Posts: 23
    my dream has become a reality,down with ncsoft....we win
    ncsoft,lol,byebye
    things go better with milk!!
  • dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by gipper36

what?

So this is what years of CoH makes with the brain

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

Originally posted by dinams

what?

So this is what years of CoH makes with the brain

indeed

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by botrytis
    [mod edit]

If I was working at NC Soft right now, I would be looking for another job (it is easier to find another job when you are in a job), but if NC Soft have brains they would sell out before they are down, and let EA buy them or something.

If they get as far as bankruptcy then the games could be sold off, and even the IP to COH could be bought by a competent company

I say if NC Soft goes down, all employees and the profitable games will still be OK and better off as chances are will be with a more competent company.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    [mod edit]

If I was working at NC Soft right now, I would be looking for another job (it is easier to find another job when you are in a job), but if NC Soft have brains they would sell out before they are down, and let EA buy them or something.

If they get as far as bankruptcy then the games could be sold off, and even the IP to COH could be bought by a competent company

I say if NC Soft goes down, all employees and the profitable games will still be OK and better off as chances are will be with a more competent company.

people get laid off after a game is finished, this has happened quite often with other devs too.

I'd say business as usual

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by FromHell
    [mod edit]

people get laid off after a game is finished, this has happened quite often with other devs too.

Except their revenue is going down

Nov 13th when that post I linked to, they were in bad shape then at (169,000 KRW), now they are worse again (149,500 KRW)

What game finshed?

They laid off 80 employess with the closure of Paragon Studios, and now more layoffs within NC Soft themselves

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

no sympathy either. Never liked their methods on any game I tried by NC. Hidden cost everywhere. Not with me.

Also CoH shutdown shall not be forgotten.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    [mod edit]

Nov 13th when that post I linked to, they were in bad shape then at (169,000 KRW), now they are worse again (149,500 KRW)

What game finshed?

They laid off 80 employess with the closure of Paragon Studios, and now more layoffs within NC Soft themselves

I'm not seeing anywhere that this is because of shutting down CoH, though.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    NCSoft is one of those companies that have built up a pretty bad reputation, to the point that having their name attached to a game makes it less appealing, regardless of who developed it.  Anyone remember the whole Richard Garriot, Tabula Risa mess?

You make me like charity

• xmechnaxmechna Member UncommonPosts: 20

down with the bloody red quee ... er NCsoft ,no mercy !!!

mm hope my 2 favorite ips get sold to better homes CoH an autoassult

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    NCSoft is one of those companies that have built up a pretty bad reputation, to the point that having their name attached to a game makes it less appealing, regardless of who developed it.  Anyone remember the whole Richard Garriot, Tabula Risa mess?

Sadly, yes.  I played from launch to the day it was shut down.  I really liked aspects of that game.  But it needed much more development, to be a really good game.  But looking at NCsofts antics that came out during the trial (which NCsoft lost), I'd never, ever do business with them. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • xmechnaxmechna Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    [mod edit]

What game finshed?

I'm not seeing anywhere that this is because of shutting down CoH, though.

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/chart?symbol=036570.KS  

aug 28th  guildwars2 was released sales raised their stock  back into the normal range  in sept the month they anounced coh to be closed their stock went into a downwards spiral  1+1 = 2  ??