Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Commonly Accepted MMO Concepts Bug You?

For some time now, there have been general concepts that we as the masses of players have accepted without much thought.  And while it is completely necessary to suspend disbelief to a degree in order to play in our little fantasy worlds, there still are a some quite nagging parts of the games that just, frankly, don't jive.  

I'll start this list of my personal pet peeves, but I ask all of you in the MMO community to please add your own.  This is not a bashing session of particular games, but rather an opportunity to voice our opinions to each other and to the developers in hopes of eliciting future improvements.

1) NPC's that stand in the same spot for all of eternity

2) Mobs that are so crowded together that it loses all semblance of reality - even that of the theme-parked suspended disbelief realty.

3) Zones that cannot be traversed without weaving through mindless mobs 

4) Quest objectives that are right next to the quest giver.  For the love of God, he could do it himself.

5) Class specific weapons and gear.  As if a human mage could not pick up a sword if she had to.  

Comments

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

A "quest" is any old menial task, and there are thousands of them.

My favorite quest sytem to this day is Runescape's, because there are a select number of quests, and they feel like real adventures most of the time.  They take time and effort to complete.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

Quests in general.  I should say WoW Quests in general.

Oh you created a character... pick your reward.

Wow, you picked your first reward, choose another reward.

You took your first step, pick a reward. 

You equipped your reward, choose a reward.

You leveled from doing nothing, choose your reward.

You opened your inventory, choose a reward.

You opened another menu by pressing a button, take a reward.

You leveled again, take a reward.

You typed a message in chat, have a reward.

You spoke to a NPC, heres a reward.

You took your first quest, have a reward.

You spoke to the person standing next to the person who have you the quest, choose a reward.

• coldcut333coldcut333 Member Posts: 86
    Geeks, they can pretend but they'll never be accepted.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

PVP with essentially/truly infinite deaths has always bothered me. 

No consequences; no lawman nicking you off to jail if you're caught in town, no bounty hunters hunting your butt in groups, no stocks with villagers hurling fruit, no hangman, no military justice....etc.   It's not even minimally "realistic", not even within the limits of the genre.

Also MMO "generals" faction leaders etc. allow their "soldiers" to operate as completely independent vigilantes, something no sane commander would ever tolerate.  We have the balls to call the chaotic result a "War".

PVP is instead just an 8-bit fighting game, Street Fighter with infinite quarters.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

That raiding is the "end game" for MMORPG's

That there even is a concept such as end game.

That MMO's should be mostly soloable because socialiazation takes too much time and not worth the time

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Instances and BG's.

Makes no sense to me to have this vast amazing world to not have content in it. 

Other than that it would be the easy mode these games have become. No consequence and giving in to the mostly younger audience to make it even easier for them. 

Questing as well

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

two biggest

1 questing=experience

2 markers over npcs

Neither one have anything to do with the genre.... ROLE PLAYING,yet they both exist in 99% of the games.The ONLY game that never had either and still doesn't is FFXI,pretty easy to see why it is the game i have always respected the most.

If i added a 3rd it would be the lamest notiomn  that people think RPG=Raiding/End-game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Auction houses. I'd much rather see Western MMO's adopt a concept that many Asian MMO's have used, player stalls. It adds to the social aspect of the game, allows for bartering, and it just adds more life and atmosphere to cities, and other parts of the world. Imagine seeing a few player stalls outside of raid entrances, its little things like that I think would make games more immersive.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Spawning.  Very unrealistic.  I think we should have mobs that have to mate and breed in dens players cannot infiltrate; farms to raise them and reintroduce them if they've been killed off.  Obviously I don't like quests that say kill 10 bunnies.  Skinning is fine but mobs dropping armor and coins is ridiculous.  Where was that bunny hiding that chain mail?  Chests in caves, at the end of instances, in random places, buried underground (for game that digs things up from underground see Mabinogi) sounds good to get items and coins instead of dropping off mobs.  Make sure their are plenty.  Quests that solve mysteries simple, moderate, and complex instead of go here deliver this pie to npc Johnny.

Player characters need yet ever more real animations.  Being able to sit in a chair (WoW) or lay on a bed (Runes of Magic) is not enough.  

Game makers need to build their games on low end PC's or create a game station in the shape of a computer that they sell with their game.  No one should be left out of gaming because they did not have enough money to buy the best and latest hardware.   

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Instanced/Battleground PvP
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I can't stand quests, quest hubs or anything quest driven/related.

10 years of my mmorpg life has been comprised of M59, UO, EQ1, AC1 and DAoC, and I think i ran a grand total of 40 quests between all of them. These games lasted me a long time! I play Wurm these days and love that it's not quest driven.

Quest driven games never last for me. The more story-like or movie-like they become, the more I dislike the game.

Originally posted by Mithrandolir

I can't stand quests, quest hubs or anything quest driven/related.

10 years of my mmorpg life has been comprised of M59, UO, EQ1, AC1 and DAoC, and I think i ran a grand total of 40 quests between all of them. These games lasted me a long time! I play Wurm these days and love that it's not quest driven.

Quest driven games never last for me. The more story-like or movie-like they become, the more I dislike the game.

You know, you don't have to quest, even in the quest-heavy games, right?

I mean, those muds, the earliest mmos--what's a quest?  Grind is the name of the game.  Only game in town, actually.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Let me start by: "Mmorpgs must adhered certain concepts because its an mmorpg" - why?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

Let me start by: "Mmmorpgs must adhered certain concepts because its an mmorpg" - why?

Language gets confused quickly when the conversation participants can't agree on the symbols.

If this bothers you, perhaps desisting from acronyms (for the sake of clarity) would be a serviceable answer for you.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Nitth Let me start by: "Mmmorpgs must adhered certain concepts because its an mmorpg" - why?
    Language gets confused quickly when the conversation participants can't agree on the symbols.

If this bothers you, perhaps desisting from acronyms (for the sake of clarity) would be a serviceable answer for you.

yeah yeah, typos.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Mobs standing around in a field to be killed. Espeically if they are sentient beings.

Mobs every 10 feet so you can't even ride across a field.

"!"

The auction house

leveling to an "end game"

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

These bug me:

How a quest can be any small task instead of being a QUEST. Frodos journey to destroy the one ring is a quest not picking flowers for a pot.

Classes In a real world people arnt shoehorned into being one particular thing. In many stories a soldier finds his true potential and becomes some grand wizard.

Worlds seem lifeless. Animals and npcs stay in a static position or route.

In all recent mmos we are the "hero" Well what if I dont wanna be the hero?

Just some of the top of my head.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    I'm going to be honest in this and say themepark concepts in general bug me.  Just because they are sooo prominent. I don't mind that there are themeparks. I just don't understand how the consumers can make themeparks as successful as they seem to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Espeically if they are sentient beings.

Dozens of species of sentients sharing the same world without incessant xenophobic genocide wars.

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Espeically if they are sentient beings.

Dozens of species of sentients sharing the same world without incessant xenophobic genocide wars.

All standing around looking blankly into space? A la LOTRO?

A bit too Zen for me then.

even in a public park there are people talking to each other, congregating as well as those who are jogging alone or playing the guitar.

essentially "living".

Not just standing there moving a few feet every so often.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Level 42 spiders that drop Heroic Soldered Helm of Greatness.

What's a spider doing with a high level helmet?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Quests that are menial errands rather than true adventures

Quests that require no thinking whatsoever and tell you exactly what to do

Games that encourage power leveling to the exclusion of all else

Dungeon finders instead oif tools to help you get to know people and group up like real people do

The idea that a zone is for levels 1-10, never to be seen again after finishing

Originally posted by XAPGames

Level 42 spiders that drop Heroic Soldered Helm of Greatness.

What's a spider doing with a high level helmet?

To add onto that...

lvl 1 wolf, yadda yadda yadda lvl 52 wolf etc...

dont' get me started on the lvl 60 birds...

Swimming across the ocean with a quarter ton of ore in your backpack...

Naw, drifting off into the 'inherent silliness gamers just accept' topic, covered so many times before.