Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR is MMORPG.com’s Most Polarizing Game?

SWTOR is currently the most polarizing game written about in forums on MMORPG.com where every thread is liable to lead to a fight between posters that love or hate it.

True or False?

If false please nominate your candidate game below in a post. Do you think there is a particular trait of SWTOR that makes it such a contentious topic for posting? Let me know.

Comments

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    I think GW2 is more polarizing than SW:TOR.  Nearly everyone here hates SW:TOR and thinks the game is already shut down.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I would say that GW2 is much more polarizing than SWTOR.  Most people agree that SWTOR was a disappointment.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Not everybody here hates SWTOR but fans of SWTOR on this forum are not haters of haters. We love the game and express it. We do not post to bash haters, merely to correct them or state our opinion in civilized way :)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

The reason I nominated SWTOR is that even now people go back to threads a year or two old sometimes and bump them just to tell poster X they were right and rub salt in their supposed wounds. I’ve not seen that occur in GW2 discussions just yet and threads on that game don’t linger on small arguments between posters quite so much in my opinion.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

GW2 is more polarizing, simply because the fanbase is ruthless in going after anyone who even slighty criticizes GW2.  Say the color of the sky is slightly off and you'll get dozens of angry responses accusing you of never playing the game, not knowing what you're talking about,  being a hater, or working for another company to smear GW2 in some way.

It's actually that fanbase that drives me away from GW2.  The official SWTOR forums are bad, but GW2 forums are bad EVERYWHERE in every forum.

SWTOR folk outside the official forums seem more willing to discuss the issues at hand .. although SWTOR doesn't have a very bright future :/

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    It was GW2, but it's slowly moving back to SWTOR.  In a few months, people will have forgotten about GW2.  But I guarentee we will still see the same hate filled posts popping up about TOR.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

GW2 - if you don't like the game, the fans will say your playing it wrong or do there best to prove your "opinion" wrong. Trying to give a legitimate criticism of the game will get your head bit off.

SWTOR - if you like the game, everyone will beat a dead horse and remind you how much they don't like almost like they don't want you to. Merely talking about the game will draw in those that feel they have to bring up the games subscriptions and such.

That's been my experience (if only slightly exaggerated), but I'd say both are equally polarizing. Opposites really.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Not everybody here hates SWTOR but fans of SWTOR on this forum are not haters of haters. We love the game and express it. We do not post to bash haters, merely to correct them or state our opinion in civilized way :)

One crusader in a forum of infidels locked in mortal combat with a mighty keyboard not labeled as made by RAZOR, but yet still from China some way or how unfortunately.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    I think that honor goes to GW2 at the moment.  I think saying that about SWTOR gives it too much credit. 
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

One crusader in a forum of infidels locked in mortal combat with a mighty keyboard not labeled as made by RAZOR, but yet still from China some way or how unfortunately.

Just checked my G510... sigh... you are right about one thing... it's made in Chinaimage

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Aha.

Not even close.

MMORPG.com's patrons represent a "cut out" segment of the MMO community as a whole; that community long since passed judgement on SWTOR - it is a bad game.

There may be those - and they are few and far between - who enjoy it, but I can count them on one hand. The SAME faces defend SWTOR, where there is a constant rotation of people attacking it.

Originally posted by Draron

GW2 - if you don't like the game, the fans will say your playing it wrong or do there best to prove your "opinion" wrong.

SWTOR - if you like the game, everyone will beat a dead horse and remind you how much they don't like almost like they don't want you to.

That's been my experience, but I'd say both are equally polarizing. Opposites really.

Just for old times sake:

SWTOR - If you can't run the game with decent framerates, you will get a hundred responses of how your computer is not optimized properly or how you need to upgrade because the parts you bought last year are obsolete...  It's all your fault for having a computer more than 2 years old.  If you don't like loadscreens, you obviously are not using a flashdrive .. an $800 graphics cards is not enough, you need 2 of them .. noob.  (hehe)

GW2 is worse, but I wanted to remind you of the salt that is mixed in both games.

Originally posted by dotdotdash

Aha.

Not even close.

MMORPG.com's patrons represent a "cut out" segment of the MMO community as a whole; that community long since passed judgement on SWTOR - it is a bad game.

There may be those - and they are few and far between - who enjoy it, but I can count them on one hand. The SAME faces defend SWTOR, where there is a constant rotation of people attacking it.

hmm I bet I could count them too... spending some time on these forums I actually recognize most of them

Originally posted by Karteli

GW2 - if you don't like the game, the fans will say your playing it wrong or do there best to prove your "opinion" wrong.

SWTOR - if you like the game, everyone will beat a dead horse and remind you how much they don't like almost like they don't want you to.

That's been my experience, but I'd say both are equally polarizing. Opposites really.

Just for old times sake:

SWTOR - If you can't run the game with decent framerates, you will get a hundred responses of how your computer is not optimized properly or how you need to upgrade because the parts you bought last year are obsolete...  If you don't like loadscreens, you obviously are not using a flashdrive .. hehe

GW2 is worse, but I wanted to remind you of the salt that is mixed in both games.

Yes, both games are bad for blaming the user on faults. Not sure which is worse, though, that or people talking bad about a games feature they don't understand only to speak down on a game or speak highly of a feature they haven't experienced fully (Guild Wars 2 no trinity comes to mind. Can't stand it myself, but a lot that praise it haven't even gotten through dungeons and figured out how it works).

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    beta testing was enough to look somewhere else
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    I would say that GW2 is much more polarizing than SWTOR.  Most people agree that SWTOR was a disappointment.

We can say the same thing about GW2, because it was a huge dissapointment for really a lot of people, probably even more than SWTOR. 

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

False a very small vocal minority even cares about SW:Tor anymore. (both haters and fans) most have moved on.

You'd find a much bigger base of people defend or putting down WoW

Just for old times sake:

SWTOR - If you can't run the game with decent framerates, you will get a hundred responses of how your computer is not optimized properly or how you need to upgrade because the parts you bought last year are obsolete...  If you don't like loadscreens, you obviously are not using a flashdrive .. hehe

Yes, both games are bad for blaming the user on faults. Not sure which is worse, though, that or people talking bad about a games feature they don't understand only to speak down on a game or speak highly of a feature they haven't experienced fully (Guild Wars 2 no trinity comes to mind. Can't stand it myself, but a lot that praise it haven't even gotten through dungeons and figured out how it works).

Yeah a point GW2 fans keep bringing up .. no trinity ..

OK, prior to launch I had doughts, and expressed them.  I was met with a wall of fire. After GW2 launched, I can now say for certain that a lack of trinity is downright stupid.  Every class is homogenized.  Whoopie?

We see eye to eye on something, Draron!

Just for old times sake:

Yeah a point GW2 fans keep bringing up .. no trinity ..

OK, prior to launch I had doughts, and expressed them.  I was met with a wall of fire. After GW2 launched, I can now say for certain that a lack of trinity is downright stupid.  Every class is homogenized.  Whoopie?

We see eye to eye on something, Draron!

Heheh image Your a cool cat Karteli.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Just for old times sake:

SWTOR - If you can't run the game with decent framerates, you will get a hundred responses of how your computer is not optimized properly or how you need to upgrade because the parts you bought last year are obsolete...  It's all your fault for having a computer more than 2 years old.  If you don't like loadscreens, you obviously are not using a flashdrive .. an $800 graphics cards is not enough, you need 2 of them .. noob.  (hehe)

what you say about SW:tor is exactly my experience with Vangard. If you get poor frame rates or experience bugs its not the game its you 5 year old best buy $500 dollar computer they say. (dispite whatever computer you might actually have ie2 y/o closer to 2000 dollar alienware)

If MMROPG.COM stats are to be believed SW:tor has a smaller fan base then Darkfall Unholy wars which is very polarised its self.

Originally posted by winter

Just for old times sake:

what you say about SW:tor is exactly my experience with Vangard. If you get poor frame rates or experience bugs its not the game its you 5 year old best buy $500 dollar computer they say. (dispite whatever computer you might actually have ie2 y/o closer to 2000 dollar alienware)

If MMROPG.COM stats are to be believed SW:tor has a smaller fan base then Darkfall Unholy wars which is very polarised its self.

SWTOR fans avoid this site. Every day I visit it I ask myself why do I want to read this crap. I guess I am a masochist. None of my game friends read the forum here, just game forums. In fact they asked me why  I am doing that LOL.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

There rather is a general consensus that the game.. well isn´t anything special. And didn´t live up to something people would have preferred, like a glorious SWG2.

The most polarizing game must be GW2 because there are still some fans defending this game like crazy. Don´t see that many defenders of SWTOR around, except the ones in the official forums.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

My bets on GW2. While SWTOR has a strong niche of supporters and a continent full of haters; it's not nearly a polarized as GW2.

Personally; I wanted SWTOR to work. Followed it since I heard of a KoTOR mmo being whispered at a gamestop. After getting max on christmas eve and running through EV, I realized it just wasn't for me at this moment. Too many issues, not enough love. When Illum was basically pulled from existance I left. : I'd like to return one day, sadly this whole fiasco over F2P restrictions doesn't sit well. I still stare at my CE box and frown.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by FromHell

There rather is a general consensus that the game.. well isn´t anything special. And didn´t live up to something people would have preferred, like a glorious SWG2.

The most polarizing game must be GW2 because there are still some fans defending this game like crazy. Don´t see that many defenders of SWTOR around, except the ones in the official forums.

Agreed, definitely GW2.

It wasn't a massive success on the scale of WoW or a massive fail on the scale of Mortals Online, but there are significant groups claiming either one to be the case.

It is a good enough game, probably on the range of Planetside 2 (which means doing better than TSW and swtor, but not on scale WoW)

Originally posted by winter

Just for old times sake:

SWTOR fans avoid this site. Every day I visit it I ask myself why do I want to read this crap. I guess I am a masochist. None of my game friends read the forum here, just game forums. In fact they asked me why  I am doing that LOL.

You like it, you know you do.  :-)

But maybe you enjoy info that you can't get on fan sites alone... you know the dark side stuff :P .. or maybe just industry related news that isn't available on fan sites alone.

I mean, if you only went to fan sites, would you ever know that EA bought BioWare in 2007 for over $700 million dollars USD?  Probably not.  Would you see the second side to the slippery toungues of EA representatives on fan sites?  Not likely.

You like hearing all angles to SWTOR.  Tell your friends that. :-D