Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Long Time Darkfall Vet, Ask me anything.

Comments

• BuniontToesBuniontToes Member Posts: 529
    The memory allocation issue wasn't a memory leak (or the client would have evenutally crash).  The problem in the UI realted to memory allocation was likely a bad buffer system in the text UI.  The Text screeens would cause lag and often miss messages.
  • indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

I don't think this conversation is appropriate for this thread as it won't supply any useful information to newcomers.

To summarize the discussion:  AV has attempted to fix the load lag issue from Darkfall 1 by changing some things in DF:UW.

For those who don't know what load lag was...it was a glitch that caused your client to "hiccup" any time you loaded a player.  This hiccup was so familiar that you could decipher exactly how many enemies you were facing before you ever saw them.  In turn it removed any element of surprise from the game (assuming your opponent was paying attention and noticed the load lag).

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147

What are the skills / talents / traits like in the game for each class.  Let's say the elementalist, so far all I know is they can be fire and air, according to the videos posted from the offical darkfall guys.  Are those 5 skills all you get?  Are there more to swap them out, or are there talent trees to allocate some sort of points into that buff them / give new skills/items to use?

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485
    Originally posted by Agrias34

What are the skills / talents / traits like in the game for each class.  Let's say the elementalist, so far all I know is they can be fire and air, according to the videos posted from the offical darkfall guys.  Are those 5 skills all you get?  Are there more to swap them out, or are there talent trees to allocate some sort of points into that buff them / give new skills/items to use?

nice..

Altho there is speculation about how exactly the roles will be working, we  basicly don't know yet.

the roles indeed give you x amount of abilities.. but.. we know that there are skills/spells that can be used by everyone.

The combat and tactics involved in UW will be so different then 1.0 darkfall you can only speculate how it will work.. but on the bright side.. wait 8 more days.. and you can try it out

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

Additional information about darkfall and some vids:

Lots of questions in here are based on your curent experiences of mmo''s.. 

you need to lay aside those experiences and try to look @ it this way..

Darkfall online:

- Competitive pvp.. player skilled based. ( this means.. you are able to kill people when your are complete naked while your enemy is geared; Only when the players are equally skilled gear does matter.)

- Learn how to pvp..( basicly darkfall takes alot of time to actually know what are you doing.. there are many factors involved in this;)

- No Factions... ( the game itself is driven by player guilds/clans/alliances; the choice is complete yours)

- The PVE..( PVE itself can be very diffecult when you don;t know how to control your chararter; almost everything that drops from mobs can be crafted aswell)

- Full loot game..

- One world.. with exception of dungeons.. ( open world that is )

Adding two vids with some explenation:

Choice of these vids... their enjoyable to watch..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bh91NK_dYc

You can see here that the player @ some point fighting a dude somewhere.. and sees another one coming.. Good tactic is here that he tries to split them up..

Second vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eH_1aCc2hQ

Fighting outnumbered..

Might wanne add this that @ some point the player gets chased by serveral people and gets help from Lord Oboy..

@ the same ( as explained in the vid ) they know that Oboy is a good pvp'er.. Altho they outnumber ninogan and oboy they start running..

Bacisly what im trying to tell you is:

That in darkfall you can set a name for yourself.. in both ways.. if you wanne be dick ingame and bindstone camp people.. you can... if you wanne be respectfull PVP player and set fear ingame.. you can work yourself up and be reckonized as a pro skilled pvp''er.. if you wanne be respectfull trader ingame.. you can set your name ingame

Alot of players are playing the game differently..

I think the only thing left that I haven't seen covered was the respawning / traveling system.  How do you / where do you respawn when you die?  Do you get to chose a place or is it just the closest place near you?  Are there any kind of bind points or hearthstones so to speak or any fast traveling methods? 

From what i hear about the world being super humungous huge, how do you get around and meet up with friends quickly to play?  Don't want to spend 1 hour walking to someone just to meet up.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

(pardon if this is a dupe)

Are there gear restrictions for specific roles?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by XAPGames

(pardon if this is a dupe)

Are there gear restrictions for specific roles?

yeah.  there will be.  warrior - heavy armor,  skirmisher - medium armor,  mage - light armor

• Cstahler92Cstahler92 Member Posts: 93

I see that you mentioned building Castles and other structures to defend. i had a couple of questions about that:

1. Is the world forever going? because I assume at some point in time that every inch of land will have some kind of structure that may eventually be taken by the ruling clan no the server.

2. Is there a limit no how many structures you can hold and how many clan members you can have?

3. If the map is not forever going how big is it?

4. How much is the game going to cost? I can't seem to find the answer to this. I mean base price for the actual game... not the monthly fee.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Cstahler92

I see that you mentioned building Castles and other structures to defend. i had a couple of questions about that:

1. Is the world forever going? because I assume at some point in time that every inch of land will have some kind of structure that may eventually be taken by the ruling clan no the server.

2. Is there a limit no how many structures you can hold and how many clan members you can have?

4. How much is the game going to cost? I can't seem to find the answer to this. I mean base price for the actual game... not the monthly fee.

i think base pric eis going to be 30 but not 100%

Originally posted by Raxeon

i think base pric eis going to be 30 but not 100%

Awesome. Thank you for the info evne if not 100% sure it still gives me something to go on.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Awesome. Thank you for the info evne if not 100% sure it still gives me something to go on.

Confirmed by a fan post.  30 USD and Euro.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by Agrias34

I think the only thing left that I haven't seen covered was the respawning / traveling system.  How do you / where do you respawn when you die?  Do you get to chose a place or is it just the closest place near you?  Are there any kind of bind points or hearthstones so to speak or any fast traveling methods? From what i hear about the world being super humungous huge, how do you get around and meet up with friends quickly to play?  Don't want to spend 1 hour walking to someone just to meet up.

Great questions. In Darkfall you have what are called bind stones. Think of these like the location your hearthstone takes you to in WoW. However in DF this location is where you re appear when you die. The most common place to bind is one of your clan's or alliance's cities.

In DF:UW there will be wilderness portals scattered about the world which people will use to travel. These are likely to be pretty popular areas so always be expecting to fight.

If your friends are not in your clan you will most likely need to travel to some degree. How long that takes has many factors so it is hard to say. The DF world has many means of travelling but sometimes you get stuck having to get on a mount and go it the old fashion way.

The world's cities are in pre placed locations and their design is pre determined. Unfortunately DF doesn't have the feature of open world building. The DF1 world was the largest world of any MMO I've played. That being said it was too large and the developers scaled it down some for the new game.

If I remember correctly there were 104 total player holdings in DF1. This number will definitely be different for DF:UW but there is bound to be a lot of variety.

One clan could theoretically own every holding in the game.

I don't know if there will be a cap on clan members for the new game. Not sure of there was in the old game. Not sure on price foe the new game as AV hasn't officially announced anything.

Tasos said they are hoping to bring pre ordering online this week in the interview last week...so here's to hoping!

Originally posted by indef

. The world's cities are in pre placed locations and their design is pre determined. Unfortunately DF doesn't have the feature of open world building. The DF1 world was the largest world of any MMO I've played. That being said it was too large and the developers scaled it down some for the new game. However if I remember correctly there were 104 total player holdings in DF1. This number will definitely be different for DF:UW but there is bound to be a lot of variety. One clan could theoretically own every holding in the game. And I don't know if there will be a cap on clan members for the new game. Not sure of there was in the old game. Not sure on price foe the new game as AV hasn't officially announced anything. Tasos said they are hoping to bring pre ordering online this week in the interview last week...so here's to hoping!

Thanks for the answers.

I read somewhere that it took 8 hours to go across the entire map in Darkfall. Is that true and have they said if the map will be bigger, smaller, or the same size? also what are the skills like? Is the skill system kind of like Runescape?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    In all the vids for DF:UW every "class" seems to have only a handful of abilities/spells. Does this mean that at any moment in time you can only use these few abilities or are there general combat abilities that any class/specialization can use?

. The world's cities are in pre placed locations and their design is pre determined. Unfortunately DF doesn't have the feature of open world building. The DF1 world was the largest world of any MMO I've played. That being said it was too large and the developers scaled it down some for the new game. However if I remember correctly there were 104 total player holdings in DF1. This number will definitely be different for DF:UW but there is bound to be a lot of variety. One clan could theoretically own every holding in the game. And I don't know if there will be a cap on clan members for the new game. Not sure of there was in the old game. Not sure on price foe the new game as AV hasn't officially announced anything. Tasos said they are hoping to bring pre ordering online this week in the interview last week...so here's to hoping!

Thanks for the answers.

I read somewhere that it took 8 hours to go across the entire map in Darkfall. Is that true and have they said if the map will be bigger, smaller, or the same size? also what are the skills like? Is the skill system kind of like Runescape?

The time it took to travel the map is kind of subjective.  If you ran from the bottom left corner to the top right corner in a straight line (the longest possible straight line distance) it probably would take that long since you'd be swimming and constantly moving around obstacles like mountains, trees, rocks, bushes, mobs, etc.

That being said, nobody every did that.  If you had to go any long distance by foot you'd be on a mount which would cut that time from 8 hours to about 2.  There would never be a reason to travel from one corner to the other though.  In 3 years the longest trek I ever made when I was a noobie took me about 1.5 hours I think.

The new world will be smaller.  They are removing a lot of the unused water masses and reducing the continent sizes by a little bit.  The original game was WAY too big even for 10,000 concurrent people.

Read my next post for the answer to your question about skills since the guy below you asked also.

Originally posted by Yamota
    In all the vids for DF:UW every "class" seems to have only a handful of abilities/spells. Does this mean that at any moment in time you can only use these few abilities or are there general combat abilities that any class/specialization can use?

You will have 2 roles active at any time. Every role has 5 abilities.  These consist of 4 skills and 1 ultimate skill. You get 5 abilities from your main role and 4 abilities from you secondary role (no secondary ultimate ability).

There will also be a pool of abilities that everyone will be able to use at any time.  Some of these are depicted in the UI video.  These abilities will probably be fairly consistent with DF1 in that they consist of your transfer spells (stamina to health, mana to stamina, and health to mana), heals, utilities, disabling blows, and others.

Thanks for the answers.

The time it took to travel the map is kind of subjective.  If you ran from the bottom left corner to the top right corner in a straight line (the longest possible straight line distance) it probably would take that long since you'd be swimming and constantly moving around obstacles like mountains, trees, rocks, bushes, mobs, etc.

That being said, nobody every did that.  If you had to go any long distance by foot you'd be on a mount which would cut that time from 8 hours to about 2.  There would never be a reason to travel from one corner to the other though.  In 3 years the longest trek I ever made when I was a noobie took me about 1.5 hours I think.

The new world will be smaller.  They are removing a lot of the unused water masses and reducing the continent sizes by a little bit.  The original game was WAY too big even for 10,000 concurrent people.

Read my next post for the answer to your question about skills since the guy below you asked also.

10,000 concurrent? Seems kind of low to me, but that could always change considering people are at a vulnerable point with MMOs. What I meant by skills was like Woodcutting, Cooking, fishing, Runecrafting, etc etc etc. Not like attack skills, but more like professions is what I meant. The examples are fomr Runescape... I don't expect this game to have Runecrafting lol

Thanks for the answers.

10,000 concurrent? Seems kind of low to me, but that could always change considering people are at a vulnerable point with MMOs. What I meant by skills was like Woodcutting, Cooking, fishing, Runecrafting, etc etc etc. Not like attack skills, but more like professions is what I meant. The examples are fomr Runescape... I don't expect this game to have Runecrafting lol

Technically the servers can hold 10,000 players...but nobody has ever seen it hold that many and be stable.  For a game like Darkfall 10,000 is such a massive amount of people it's quite impossible to imagine actually.

I never played runescape so sorry I didn't know what you meant.  In Darkfall there are professions, profession masteries, and gathering type skills.  All you standard ones like armorsmithing, enchanting, weaponsmithing, tailoring,etc...they're all there.  Then you have masteries which allow you to make high end weapons/armor/etc.  In the UI presentation video for DF:UW you can see some of the new professions as well as some of the old ones.

does that answer your question?

Thanks for the answers.

Technically the servers can hold 10,000 players...but nobody has ever seen it hold that many and be stable.  For a game like Darkfall 10,000 is such a massive amount of people it's quite impossible to imagine actually.

I never played runescape so sorry I didn't know what you meant.  In Darkfall there are professions, profession masteries, and gathering type skills.  All you standard ones like armorsmithing, enchanting, weaponsmithing, tailoring,etc...they're all there.  Then you have masteries which allow you to make high end weapons/armor/etc.  In the UI presentation video for DF:UW you can see some of the new professions as well as some of the old ones.

In Runescape the player has access to every skill from level one. The max level was 99 for the skills and each time you level a skill you come clsoer to actually leveling yourself. I assume the Masteries are kind of like WoW though. Where you go Smithing, but at a point you choose what type of smithing to go kind of thing. Anyway yeah that answers my questions.... for now at least.

Thanks for the answers.

In Runescape the player has access to every skill from level one. The max level was 99 for the skills and each time you level a skill you come clsoer to actually leveling yourself. I assume the Masteries are kind of like WoW though. Where you go Smithing, but at a point you choose what type of smithing to go kind of thing. Anyway yeah that answers my questions.... for now at least.

You can do every kind of crafting all at once.  The crafting skills level from 1-100.  Mastery examples would be "armorsmith mastery" which allows you to craft better quality armor using the rare metals of the game (there are 5 rare metals).  There might be more speciality in DF:UW, we don't know yet.

If I create an elf, and a friend of mine plays the 'dark elf' race, and we do want to play together, mostly all the time, how long will it takes us to get together, like traveling to the other person's starting zone or what?  I read that your race you start in area X, and each race is different.  Also, since it seems like we are unlikely allies, are there any restrictions that we might encounter later on that could prevent us playing together as these races or race doesn't matter for anything?
    I've got a friend with a pretty bad computer. it runs WoW on high, but idk about this. Do you think he can handle this game?
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Thanks for the answers.

i think at release it held that if not more