Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing Sniper...Which Faction ?

ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
I know there is no drop with Vanu....but they don't hit as hard.What faction would you suggest...or does it matter ?

Comments

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

NC SR are very very punishing if you miss but they hit very hard

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I played a sniper in beta.I found the game would not render the faction of distant players ...that you could shoot...IF you know it wasen't your faction.I don't know if this very frustating  situation has ben addresses  yet ?
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

The " Shadow " knows ! NC 666th

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    NC if you want a hard hitting bolt action off the bat but doesnt really matter which faction if you plan on buying a weapon as they all get bolt actions, NC are just the only one to start with it.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Shadan makes a good point.
    There's av advantage at long range to playing tr, as you won't hit the wrong players, its easy to confuse nc and vs from very long range.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Shadan makes a good point.
    There's av advantage at long range to playing tr, as you won't hit the wrong players, its easy to confuse nc and vs from very long range.

and why are TR not hard to identify ?

• milluxmillux Member UncommonPosts: 50

Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    Originally posted by ShakyMo Shadan makes a good point. There's av advantage at long range to playing tr, as you won't hit the wrong players, its easy to confuse nc and vs from very long range.
    and why are TR not hard to identify ?

because they're the red guys

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Id say choose which ever is the underdog faction of the server.

Once you get sniping down it doesnt matter which side you choose really

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

Faction doesn't really matter much as a sniper. All bolt-action sniper rifles can 1-shot someone if in the head. But, if you equip a bolt-action, you can forget about CQC. Unless you can empty your entire pistol mag in a bunny-hopping, circle strifers head. Good luck with that.

Yes, bolt-action if you plan on strictly sniping. But you'll be missing out on a lot of other fun things we can do (capping and hacking).

I like the looks of TR but not their rifles. I like NC because it looks like a Barret, except I hate there uniforms (future cash shop items will correct this I hope).

TR - faster rate of fire, more accurate, less recoil.

NC- most damage (doesn't matter if you shoot them in the head anyways).

Venu- no bullet drop.

TR is pretty good. But, I play NC for now. It's considered the worse of the 3 factions. If I get good with the worst, well.....

Anyways, that's how I picked mine.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    How the heck can you tell which faction people are in at a distance ?  I couldn't in beta....I just tried the game and couldnt tell individuals faction....vehicles yes...people no. Or am I not understanding something ?
  • HydhraHydhra Member Posts: 32
    Vanu takes about 2-3 headshoots to kill, NC/TR takes 1 shoot, stay away from Vanu if you want to kill people easy.

DAoC/GW/Lotro/WoW/WAR/Rift/SWTor

Originally posted by Hydhra
    Vanu takes about 2-3 headshoots to kill, NC/TR takes 1 shoot, stay away from Vanu if you want to kill people easy.

This is simply not true..

I constantly get one hit headshot kills.Its probably the weapon youre using.

• HydhraHydhra Member Posts: 32
    Ok then tell me what weapon your using and ile try it out.

DAoC/GW/Lotro/WoW/WAR/Rift/SWTor

• SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

As far as starter weapons for infiltrators,

The NC have the best: {edit: Not LA80 - faster bullet speed unlock} NCBolt Driver which usually will 1 shot kill (unless they are full health and you don't hit the neck/head region). 1-2 shots to kill, Bolt Action 1st shot fires next 'shot' chambers another round.
    The VS have the second best as its very easy to snipe moving targets and/or use for close in fighting, it does suck at long range because the sights aren't aligned properly (if its the same then you have to aim slightly lower and to the left a bit). 2 shots to kill, semi-auto.
    The TR easily have the worst sniper starting as it takes 3-4 shots to kill anything but its semi-auto so its not completely useless. Being a TR infiltrator forces you to get Very good at all aspects of infiltrator play since cloak is mostly useless for hiding except running from cover to cover or peaking out of cover and no one is actively scanning or looking for you. Having to put 3-4 rounds into someone to kill them means you have to get closer to land those fast enough to kill them before they run for cover. It also forces you play as a team player rather than a lone wolf because you'll rely on others to 'kill' for you and get assists more than kills.

However, all the factions can unlock other sniper rifles that are effectively equal to another factions sniper so its redundant (among the TR the SR7 is apparently the 1 shot kill sniper for 1000 cert points but the M77-B is 1 Headshot kill sniper for 100 Cert pts thats only slightly inferior to the LA80).

The only thing that can't be equal to another factions is the Pistol sidearm which Infiltrators will use more than any other class. NC complains about the Mag Shot and say the TR is best but the TR pistol fires 3 round bursts and has a clip to fire 7 bursts, its horribly inaccurate beyond point blank range and it 2-4 HS bursts to kill which is random due the burst spread, at that range most Assault Rifles/Carbines/LMG's and Shotguns will easily win. The Mag Shot is great at medium range can reliably kill with 2 Headshots or 4 non Headshots and retains accuracy to medium range. The VS Beamer is less powerful but roughly comparable to the Mag Shot with downside that it has a very distinct Sound which makes it easy to identify.

I have personally emptied full clips of TR1 Repeaters (21 rounds) into the backsides of players with no chance to miss or them dodge and have had them turn around and 1 burst me down from full health, Not sure if the game is just plagued by hackers, the hit registration is total garbage (seems like if I fire too fast even if hits are basically impossible to miss that only half will register) or there is a stealth Pay2Win feature (Premium members get queue priority and this scenario always happens with them - seems that priority might also give their sync/activity updates priority over non-Premium players - likely an unintended bug).

NC is easy compared to TR but less flexible IMO.
    VS is more flexible all around but aggravating as heck to Longe Range snipe without having a different sniper rifle (I haven't Cert purchased one on the VS toon) and figuring what sniper is what is a royal pain because the Stats are totally inaccurate and you can only do 'Trials' once a day for 30 mins which for long range sniping is kind of short unless you already know of a stalemated battle to test it out at - you spend a lot of time running because using a vehicle to travel gives away your position too easily unless your traveling with a zerg.
    TR is the hardest but pays off more if you stick with it as it forces you to learn a lot of skills that work for other classes as well.

Im currently using the Ghost with a 4x scope.Its a step up from the rifle you get starting out in terms of damage.

Ive gotten quite a lot of head shots with it.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    What I want to know is why is it so hard to keep the crosshairs from drifting?   I cannot just point it at a target and keep it there, it starts drifting.    I don't know of any game with that kind of issue where the crosshairs are so hard to keep on target.
  • BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by tank017

Im currently using the Ghost with a 4x scope.Its a step up from the rifle you get starting out in terms of damage.

i get a few with the V10 as well.

@Teala   

does it drift when you get at a certain scope distance? (x7,x8,x8 etc.)

supposedly, its to simulate your steadiness while aiming your crosshairs down on the enemy, it sways and drifts about.

You can hold down Shift, your character holds his/her breath which steadys the aim for a good couple seconds.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Teala
    What I want to know is why is it so hard to keep the crosshairs from drifting?   I cannot just point it at a target and keep it there, it starts drifting.    I don't know of any game with that kind of issue where the crosshairs are so hard to keep on target.

Because you can hold your breath to stabilize sights. Use the sprint button while on scoped mode to hold your breath.

I personally found the usefulness of sniping in this game to be quite limited (because of the fact that most open field fights occurs with armor or air, single soldier walking around have no chance anyways). infitrators most useful purpose from my experience is because of their capability to hack terminals, which allow for much faster uncap/cap of enemy bases.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Planetside was exactly the same.

Sniping is hard in PS and PS2 until you get the hang of it, shame the rest of the game requires little skill.

Imagine if sniping was as easy as COD, CS etc with 2000 players running around and a LOT of ranged combat.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

This is simply not true..

I constantly get one hit headshot kills.Its probably the weapon youre using.

Correct, weapon is irrelevant, any faction sniper (even the basic models) can get a headshot and it's always a 1-hit kill.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Best faction is TR:

Why ? Because of the repeater UZI type pistol which a lot more powerfull than the pistils from other factions. Other ones have only single shots.

• SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by tank017 Originally posted by Hydhra Vanu takes about 2-3 headshoots to kill, NC/TR takes 1 shoot, stay away from Vanu if you want to kill people easy.
    This is simply not true..   I constantly get one hit headshot kills.Its probably the weapon youre using.
    Correct, weapon is irrelevant, any faction sniper (even the basic models) can get a headshot and it's always a 1-hit kill.

I can't tell if thats sarcasm or just a flat out lie.

Want to test how many headshots it takes to kill with a sniper - test it in your factions warpgate area on friendlies in the spawn room (it'll give a warning but nothing more than that - grief system isn't in)

Of the Basic starter snipers, Only the NC Bolt Driver can 1 Headshot kill. The Vanu basic starter sniper takes 2 Headshots to kill and the TR take 2-3 Headshots to kill(depending on what armor upgrades they have).

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

i managed to kill more with NC using sniper

Vanu no luck so far, which is crazy, either i suck or the Vanu sniper not as good as NC, cause i havent been able to 1 shot using the Vanu

So What Now?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Beanpuie

@Teala   

supposedly, its to simulate your steadiness while aiming your crosshairs down on the enemy, it sways and drifts about.

You can hold down Shift, your character holds his/her breath which steadys the aim for a good couple seconds.

Thanks for the info.   I figured it out justfrom messing around with it.    It seems to work like it did in PS, but I think it still needs tweaked a bit.  Even being able to hold your breath it still doesn't stay as steady as I remember it being in the older game.    Also, which is the best sniper/scope available in the game?  Do they still have the NCBolt Driver?  

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Beanpuie

@Teala   

Thanks for the info.   I figured it out justfrom messing around with it.    It seems to work like it did in PS, but I think it still needs tweaked a bit.  Even being able to hold your breath it still doesn't stay as steady as I remember it being in the older game.    Also, which is the best sniper/scope available in the game?  Do they still have the NCBolt Driver?  

yea NC bolt driver is still there, it should be the default sniper gun for the NC, but im not NC so i dont know  for sure

(DIE NC SCUM!!!!!image

kidding.............*puts gun away*

also, head shots count this time around, and with the NC bolt driver, its a 1 shot kill if you get the head shot, but be sure to compensate with the bullet drop ( and further bullet drop if you add a supressor).

it pays off the more you get use to the weapon, both its behavior and the games mechanics itself.