Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is not free to play

2»

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by biggarfoot
    F2P are not really F2P either if you want all the content and the best stuff.

I consider those to be 'Freemium' because you can only play a portion of the game for free. Only games where you can play all the content unrestricted for no fee should earn the title 'Free to Play'. Games like Aion.

GW2 is not F2P just because it doesn't have a subscription. Lots of online games that are not MMOs don't have subscriptions. You can't play the game for free, it costs $60, therefore it isnt 'F2P.  It is B2P like most games are outside the MMO genre.  

Not sure why this is so hard for people to understand.

GW2 is not F2P because it doesnt have a subscription.. WTF.. isnt that the actual definition of a F2P game. Seems like people dont seem to understand what a F2P game is, which is a subscription free game with a cash shop/microtransactions.

B2P = is not F2P if it doesnt have a cash shop/microtransactions for the game

which basically means that GW2 is  F2P game with a box price. how simple does it need to be? image

No, the definition of 'Free to Play' is that you can play it without paying any money. Can you play GW2 without paying any money? No. Therefore it is not 'Free to Play'.

What does  "B2P = is not F2P if it doesnt have a cash shop/microtransactions for the game" even mean? That isnt even a proper sentance. Do you mean that B2P games are F2P if they have microtransactions? Plenty of games have microtransactions that are not considered F2P.

Is Oblivion F2P? You can buy updates and content for that game. Whats that? Its not? Because you have to pay for the game you say? The same applies to GW2. B2P with a cash shop is... B2P with a cash shop. Not F2P. To be F2P, you have to be able to play it for free. Comprende?

F2P is a term used to describe an MMO that has a cash shop/microtransactions as its finance model, it really is just that simple,  which is why i class GW2 as a F2P game with a box price. For GW2 to be classed as a B2P game it would not have to have a cash shop in it, with microtransactions. Whether you choose to use said cash shop/microtransactions or not, is totally irrelevant. It is what it is. image

You can't have a personal opinion about F2P and B2P terms and state them as facts when infact F2P and B2P terms are allready set in stone.

So just drop it.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by FromHell

The game is F2P with heavy cash shop focus.

Nope it's Buy to play with fluff cashshop, nothing in that cashshop is remotly close to as you put it heavy cash shop focus which leads me to beleave you have no clue what you are talking about and never played GW2.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Oh look, another argument over acronyms...

/time for breakfast

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I consider those to be 'Freemium' because you can only play a portion of the game for free. Only games where you can play all the content unrestricted for no fee should earn the title 'Free to Play'. Games like Aion.

GW2 is not F2P just because it doesn't have a subscription. Lots of online games that are not MMOs don't have subscriptions. You can't play the game for free, it costs $60, therefore it isnt 'F2P.  It is B2P like most games are outside the MMO genre.  

GW2 is not F2P because it doesnt have a subscription.. WTF.. isnt that the actual definition of a F2P game. Seems like people dont seem to understand what a F2P game is, which is a subscription free game with a cash shop/microtransactions.

which basically means that GW2 is  F2P game with a box price. how simple does it need to be? image

No, the definition of 'Free to Play' is that you can play it without paying any money. Can you play GW2 without paying any money? No. Therefore it is not 'Free to Play'.

What does  "B2P = is not F2P if it doesnt have a cash shop/microtransactions for the game" even mean? That isnt even a proper sentance. Do you mean that B2P games are F2P if they have microtransactions? Plenty of games have microtransactions that are not considered F2P.

Is Oblivion F2P? You can buy updates and content for that game. Whats that? Its not? Because you have to pay for the game you say? The same applies to GW2. B2P with a cash shop is... B2P with a cash shop. Not F2P. To be F2P, you have to be able to play it for free. Comprende?

F2P is a term used to describe an MMO that has a cash shop/microtransactions as its finance model, it really is just that simple,  which is why i class GW2 as a F2P game with a box price. For GW2 to be classed as a B2P game it would not have to have a cash shop in it, with microtransactions. Whether you choose to use said cash shop/microtransactions or not, is totally irrelevant. It is what it is. image

Incorrect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-play

"Free-to-play (F2P) refers to any video game or social or mobile application that has the option of allowing its players/users to play/download without paying"

GW 2 does not have this option and ergo it is NOT F2P. 

/thread

Originally posted by Yamota

Incorrect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-play

"Free-to-play (F2P) refers to any video game or social or mobile application that has the option of allowing its players/users to play/download without paying"

GW 2 does not have this option and ergo it is NOT F2P. 

/thread

No use he will counter argument that Wiki is not a trustworthy site.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by zomard100
    Why you people continue with this deception how gw2 is f2p game? It is not free you must buy this game to be able to play, you don't have even free trial. Planetside 2 , SWTOR, DC Online are totaly free to play games. According to you  all  sp games like Crysis or COD are f2p to

GW2 is B2P - but no monthly SUB. PS2 and SWTOR, if you want to prgress farther in the game (think using microtransactions). I guess you just wanted to troll abit, eh? there was a limited in free trial in GW2.

Crysis is like GW2, B2P.

• ThebigbopperThebigbopper Member Posts: 114
     If Guild Wars 2 is free to play, where is the free download?  It is buy to play because you have to buy it to play it. Something  that simple and you still have dumb people stating the opposite!
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

The 60$ pricetag is basically for a very cheap lifetime sub (nothing new).

"B2P" is nothing but marketing twist for a regular lifetime sub for other MMOs.

e.g. I got a 199$ lifetime sub for TSW, but I´m not forced to the shop and there are no gambling boxes.

The price difference between 199$ and 60$ is compensated by a much higher focus on cash shop items and treasure chest keys, something which does not happen in TSW

So TSW is F2P with a heavy cash shop focus. Gotcha.

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

HEY! What do you mean, "You people."

It's B2P and what people mean by free to play (wrongly) is that there is no subscription fee.  

He obviously means fanboys who have infested this forum section years ago.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Lol! If you buy GW2 it's B2P. If you steal the physical copy from a store then it's F2P! If you get it as a gift then it's B2P and also F2P since someone had to pay for it but it's F2P for you! Or damn, if you get it from some e-lottery then it's F2P since no one has to pay anything for it! Carry on...

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Why you people continue with this deception how gw2 is f2p game? It is not free you must buy this game to be able to play, you don't have even free trial. Planetside 2 , SWTOR, DC Online are totaly free to play games. According to you  all  sp games like Crysis or COD are f2p to

That is correct, it is B2P just like Crysis and COD.

There will however be a free trial eventually, GW1 have one. MMOs usually dont get those until a while after launch when the game is a bit updated and the game the devs want it to be.

Not sure about GW2 but usually MMOs take 6-12 months to get the free trial.

Well to be absolutely precise GW2 is B2P+CS and not just B2P like Crysis or many single player games.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I can download Guild Wars 2 for free - no purchase.

I can't play it without a purchase.

But according to some definitions here, downloading it without paying money means free to play :P

Yes I know it is Buy to Play and people are incredibly silly to think it is Free to Play simply because it doesn't charge for a subscription.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Ha!  Halfway through this thread I actually did laugh out loud.  Great discussion, keep it up.
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Nope it's Buy to play with fluff cashshop, nothing in that cashshop is remotly close to as you put it heavy cash shop focus which leads me to beleave you have no clue what you are talking about and never played GW2.

what he said :)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by johnisme
    Gw2 is free to play in that there is no sub fee,You do have to buy it but is better than being charged each month as well,that's why it's called free to play.

Sorry, you're wrong.  GW2 payment model is called "buy to play."  You must purchase the game to play it.  Free to play games require ZERO purchase price and also have no sub.  I can't believe the number of posts in this thread by people who are unfamiliar with the differences and different names of payment models.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

HEY! What do you mean, "You people."

It's B2P and what people mean by free to play (wrongly) is that there is no subscription fee.  

Well that is a good answer--It is B2P

Most people refer to GW2 as B2P. It doesn't have a sub but it is clearly not free to play as you need to pay for the box to play it.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

their own Colin Johansson said in an interview that they didnt make a F2P game. They made a B2P game. Buy to play. Once you buy the box, its free forever. 

Planetside 2 is fully free (you arent locked from content, only slower progression). Swtor and DC arent totally free, they are free to play, but paid to progress. Big difference there.

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658
    Originally posted by coretex666

MMOs that require monthly sub (P2P). MMOs that dont (F2P).

Whether you have to buy the box or not is irrelevant. I wonder who came up with this B2P MMO category.

GW1 did as far as I can tell. Never heard of the term until then.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• GurstenGursten Member Posts: 5

GW2 is in fact F2P.

It is Fun to  Play !! image

• chrodochrodo Member Posts: 5
    Castle , Karsal. Whats it matter any game you play on the net your paying somthing for even if its just your conection !
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by bliss14
    Ha!  Halfway through this thread I actually did laugh out loud.  Great discussion, keep it up.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Ah, mmorpg.com. You'll argue over anything. :)

You play the game for free. you...PLAY....the game...for free... You do not own it for free. It is both buy to play, and free to play. you are ALL right :D

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Toxia

Ah, mmorpg.com. You'll argue over anything. :)

You play the game for free. you...PLAY....the game...for free... You do not own it for free. It is both buy to play, and free to play. you are ALL right :D

You dont own any MMO, read the NDAs. You need to buy the game to play, therefor it is B2P just like most othernone MMOs.

F2P means you can play it without paying a dime, even though you probably have to pay through your noose to play it hardcore.

I dont see what it matters though, GW2 is stil cheap for a MMO and unlike most F2P games doesnt have an itemshop where you actually need to buy anything.