Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Unchained: New Crafting System Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We had the chance to talk at great length with Funcom's Craig Morrison and Einer Forselv about Age of Conan's massive crafting overhaul, due out in the next couple of months. We also got a look at the game's upcoming open-world area of Dragonspine. Watch, learn, and be happy!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    It's tempting to take a shot at Funcom for how long it's taken for them to understand and accept the importance of crafting for some players. I will wait till this is in the game then take a serious look at returning.
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Im glad to see an mmo finally adding depth back into their crafting unlike most mmo's these days trying to clone WoW's idiot-proof crafting system. (Lotro, Swtor, Tera, Rift)

And if one seriously thinks it's only about dropping stuff into boxes...try actually listening and watching the whole video.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    as much as this looks good , i played only about a week and a half ago and the server is just about dead , with their ripoff free to play model and nickle and diming you they do with it i just do not see this game being around much longer regardless of what they add and it sucks . One crappy business decision , yet they do nothing to try to get in fresh blood for the game.
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Too little, too late. I dont' get what makes them think this will bring people back to subscribe. Fix your F2P model and you'll have a highly populated game, not an empty wasteland.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    Too little, too late. I dont' get what makes them think this will bring people back to subscribe. Fix your F2P model and you'll have a highly populated game, not an empty wasteland.

• BlueSage13BlueSage13 Member Posts: 22

Just ensure that not a single person can freeload from single to max level.

www.thedragon13.com - Become a Dragon. What have you done to change our world?

• BergtrollBergtroll Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, whatever. It's too late for that game. The crowd has long moved on. I quit one year ago because I was bored and alone. I really like crafting and this might have kept me occupied for some more time but after all  - what's the point when there's noone there to sell your nice crafted stuff to? They should have started with a meaningfull crafting system from the beginning. 
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    AoC is dying to be a open world hardcore pvp game. I dont see where fixing crafting shoud be a priority. They should focus instead on making AoC like GW2 world v world at the very least. With conans combat style, decapitation and animations.
    I bought the game with a hope of great guild/faction fighting. I gave up watching  the clueless devs try and invent  a great faction vs faction system when the greatest game of that genre....DAOC....has shown the way.  Heck they couldn't even solve the technical challenges of getting a lot of players in the same area.I stopped watching the agony long ago.
  • TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182
    without the item decay and some other stuff its pointless, the economy is more complex. but of course they are on the right route.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by BlueSage13

Thats exactly what you do do, free players are content, allow them to play the game for nothing and buy CS items with ingame money and you'll have a populated world. all Asian F2P games understand this, Turbine does but Funcom, SOE & EA miss this point entirely. A dead world is the first thing that turns a potential customer off and a free palyer can always become a paying customer at some point. But don't make playing for free easy just make it possible.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by BlueSage13

Thats exactly what you do do, free players are content, allow them to play the game for nothing and buy CS items with ingame money and you'll have a populated world. all Asian F2P games understand this, Turbine does but Funcom, SOE & EA miss this point entirely. A dead world is the first thing that turns a potential customer off and a free palyer can always become a paying customer at some point. But don't make playing for free easy just make it possible.

Well said. Funcom simply  doesn't understand the mentality of a returning player.The player left with a bad taste in their mouth.Last thing you want to do when you want to ease them into playing regularly is poke the returning player in the eye with obstacles that open old wounds.