Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Bioware - 'We're Listening'

Comments

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    Has anyone else noticed an unhealthy trend with the way BW/EA doesnt listen to the community until after the damage has been done?

Always curious as to what "community" you people are speaking. Is it those whiners that complain and complain? Is it the every person that posts on the forums? Or, is it just some cloudy undefined group that is used by people to claim something is or isn't needed in a game. I highly doubt a bunch of players got together and had this discussion they wanted 4 quick bars. Instead, I think a bunch of people (rightly or wrongly) made complaints about it on their forums. It was not a "community" thing but just a common sense sort of thing that a lot of people just voice their SINGULAR opinions.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    Has anyone else noticed an unhealthy trend with the way BW/EA doesnt listen to the community until after the damage has been done?

In this day and age, it's an improvement over 99% of developers.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman Has anyone else noticed an unhealthy trend with the way BW/EA doesnt listen to the community until after the damage has been done?
    In this day and age, it's an improvement over 99% of developers.

This is true. If more developers and companies in general were willing to say, "Oops, sorry", and then go in a different direction they'd probably sell more stuff. Maybe, individuals are smart, but people are stupid. Blindly plowing ahead, denying any mistakes or wrong doing might be the way to sell more stuff.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Rayshe
    I never bitched about character slots or Quickbars. I bitched about non sensical things like only allowing you to use chat once a minuite. Limiting what you can look from quests, and only allowing 3 Boss rolls in Flashpoints per week. While i can live with the flashpoint one. the chat one is a sheer "we will stop pokeing you in the face if you pay us" Buisness plan.

The chat thing is less nonsensical than the loot roll thing. The chat thing is to prevent gold spammers and the like from having a free, in game advertising medium.

Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by lizardbones I really don't understand why they aren't charging for character slots. People would buy them. Of course, I don't understand why they thought the quick bars thing was a good idea in the first place either.
    They will be. These are just the base slots available.

I must be weird. That seems like a lot of 'free' slots. How many characters do people average in SWToR anyway? I wouldn't even use the six available slots they would give me. I don't think I've ever maxed out on character slots in any game that had more than two.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I have thought about it. IF Bioware / EA was serious rather than angrily defensive when they claimed that listening to the fans made them put together SWTOR in the way they did... THEN I DON"T WANT THEM LISTENING TO THE FANS.

I'd rather they did what they wanted to make a good game and everyone else can take it or leave it because the end result would still be better than the mess that exists now.

• DarthRichardsonDarthRichardson Member Posts: 7
    SWTOR is a decent game, not a great game. Whether it's an MMORPG is simply semantics. It's a hybrid in my mind. But what isn't these days?
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

The pure hilarity amongst all this fotm Swtor hate is that it is actually one of the the MOST social games around. Other recently released mmos such as GW2 and TSW make you feel like it is either a completely single player game most of the time (TSW) or you are playing a game where you see many others running around but they never group with you and never talk to you (GW2).

Swtor has one of the most active chat channels of any mmo, is easy to get into heroics by simply asking in zone and flashpoints are easy if in a guild or simply LFG in chat channels. It actually doesn't even need a group finder. Granted this has come along since the so called mega-server tech and leveling still is far from my favorite experience but at end game I've never seen a more social game other than Wow pre-queue-fest.

Of course the game still lacks in some areas, still hasn't received promissed content and will always have core disign issues that do not align with my mmorpg philosophy (and many other it seems) but one thing leaps out at me when I dabble in it over many other mmos: it frankly is more fun as a game than most. Lotro has far more content and far more depth for being a traditional themepark game but it simply isn't as fun as Swtor. I see it as a rather narrow scope of fun and the devs will struggle to flesh the game out and promisses always seem just around the corner.

If you disregard all the fotm haters and opinions based on the game a year ago and jump onto nearly any server (now) you will find it packed with players with very active levels and end gamers along with an active market (suprisingly the impact of reverse engineering end game gear seems to be working out. Not many games allow this ability and the market prices reflect this. Holy hell that crap is pricey and warranted. There are players making tens of millions in the AH and dedicating most of their time to end game item crafting which of course requires a great deal of time and effort aquiring the componants).

If I were to rate the game now while setting aside my previous and current disappointments with the whole thing I would say it is about 50% better than launch. Bioware does seem to be taking a 2 steps forward 1 step back approach to updates which in fact is about as best you can expect these days and at least moves them forward. If they can produce the content promises they keep teasing the playerbase with I can see it's fun factor for ever rising and that is all the fanbase of it should really want. They built a bit of a niche game is the issue with it. Slapping borrowed themepark elements around it still doesn't hide this fact. 

I feel I can't blatently hate this game anymore and prefer now to keep an optimistic eye open whether I play the game much or not at all. 

NOTE: About the cash shop ... it is amazingly bare with only some outfits and mostly filled with upgrades to account for f2p'rs and packs most people simply blow their free points on as their is little else to buy. It certainly doesn't appear to going the pay to win direction nor would I expect it. As mentioned above, you can end up crafting some very high end gear and there flat out requires restrictions placed on f2p players limiting their ability for this. Bioware has it right at least in this area. Any broke player should not have the ability to impact the game market without paying for the freedoms others have.

You stay sassy!

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    To me, I think they are going about it all wrong.  The whole entire game should be free to play - as is.   Open the whole game up.   You get everything that came with the original game plus the one(or two expansions?) since its release.   However, I would add tons of visual customization options that can be purchased.    Plus any further additions to the game should be purchasable downloads at the players discretion.   Just  keep adding small DLC's that can be purchased to the existing game.    You'll catch more bees with honey - as the saying goes.
  • AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by mnwild1998

Its so easy dealing with you haters its like you all get together and say the same crap. Its not an mmo! Really? I take it you never got past level 20, never joined a guild, never crafted a good item and sold it on the AH, never helped a friend or guild member with their story quest, never been to a heroic area, never ran a flashpoint or ops , never tried pvp, never got a large group together to down a world boss, never went datacron hunting with a group I can go on and on if you want. I guess if you never did those you could say its not an mmo.

I'm legacy level 30 :) Did everything swtor had to offer. I ask the game, why doesn't it feel massive? Its a MO

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by Jonoku

Its so easy dealing with you haters its like you all get together and say the same crap. Its not an mmo! Really? I take it you never got past level 20, never joined a guild, never crafted a good item and sold it on the AH, never helped a friend or guild member with their story quest, never been to a heroic area, never ran a flashpoint or ops , never tried pvp, never got a large group together to down a world boss, never went datacron hunting with a group I can go on and on if you want. I guess if you never did those you could say its not an mmo.

I'm legacy level 30 :) Did everything swtor had to offer. I ask the game, why doesn't it feel massive? Its a MO

Actually it is EXACTLY like most recent mmos. It is a themepark where players eat up the content faster than the developers can pump it out. What you said is entirely what every other "I play mmos for hours everyday" players are saying in every other themepark mmo that has hit the market in recent years. Your whine is the same whine on each of their forums.

It is a vaild complaint once content is eaten up and a developer expects you to continue playing but if you do not direct your frustration at the real reason behind it you continue to simply look like a cry baby on the forums. This is why there are productive debates recently on why mmos lose players. Swtor still has virtually every bell and whistle other mmos have. It cannot be called a single player game or an "MO" as you put it simply because it didn't have 10 years of content behind it. TSW launched far thinner than Swtor did. GW2 has far less of an endgame than Swtor does. Swtor just suffers from being made into a themepark game with linear progression like most others have been made. 

You won't find your answer complaining about there not being endless developer pushed content. You've just entered the whole systems vs developer content debate.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by Jonoku

Actually it is EXACTLY like most recent mmos. It is a themepark where players eat up the content faster than the developers can pump it out. What you said is entirely what every other "I play mmos for hours everyday" players are saying in every other themepark mmo that has hit the market in recent years. Your whine is the same whine on each of their forums.

It is a vaild complaint once content is eaten up and a developer expects you to continue playing but if you do not direct your frustration at the real reason behind it you continue to simply look like a cry baby on the forums. This is why there are productive debates recently on why mmos lose players. Swtor still has virtually every bell and whistle other mmos have. It cannot be called a single player game or an "MO" as you put it simply because it didn't have 10 years of content behind it. TSW launched far thinner than Swtor did. GW2 has far less of an endgame than Swtor does. Swtor just suffers from being made into a themepark game with linear progression like most others have been made. 

You won't find your answer complaining about there not being endless developer pushed content. You've just entered the whole systems vs developer content debate.

I don't see any complaining or whining. I have no idea where you got complaining and whining from......I never complained about swtor's content. Your the first to mention/complain about content not being pumped out fast enough fyi. I was replying to the guy saying all the haters played up to level 20 at max. You didn't read the whole thing or did not understand clearly I guess. I lable it as an MO because its hard to consider 4 man teams/8manraids/16manraids/24man world bosses massive.......I guess it all depends on how you define massive. I guess its because I'm so use to seeing more then that, that I consider it average. You jump to conclusions too quickly, it seems like, the word no is enough to reply and type up excessive detail.

Also I came back to play with friends, theres new content I haven't touched the shiny gold yet, content is pumped out every 6-8 weeks...........

IMO, content plays a small part in an MMO, more so its features. SWG stop adding content after NGE, I wonder why it still felt massive. ......

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    WHY does anyone in there right mind think Bioware will do what they need or say..

EA call the shots not Bioware.. Ea has the final say and as such Ea will milk this game for all its worth.

Unlike Arena net they can pack its bag and move to a different publisher.. Bioware can't and as such has to listen to Ea final wording..

After all it wasn't Bioware who paid for the Star wars license..
  • HardcodedHardcoded Member UncommonPosts: 97

Bioware - 'We're Listening'

too little too late IMO

They are just trying to desperately cure their bad reputation according to majority.......

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423
    Considering EA Paid $860 million for this game and hasn't even come close to earning a fraction of that back, expect a shut down within a year or less  after this FTP bs peters out.
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by WolfClaws

If they listened, they would fix my problem of not updating my subscription or my purchases of cartel points...

Still not seeing any progress... only canned responses and automatically closing my tickets. 

They fixed mine with in 2 hrs, make sure they got the ticket, Before I would agree there CS was bad, but huge improvement, my guildies also had issues fixed fast, impressed so far...

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

If they were listening they would have fixed the GAME 6 months ago.

They had a chance to make this one of the best games ever and they blew it with the way they did the game.

They should have capitalized on the Rebel vs Empire war much earlier in the game and had the PVP integrated into the quest story lines. When you do a quest against the other faction, the other faction players are supplementing the other side.

They should have had more of the worlds mixed together better so you HAD to go through enemy territory to do quests.

They should have made it so you didn;'t max out XP and level out of the content before you did everything on a planet. After about level 15 all the quest rewards were way below what I could use. The last 2 planets were Zero XP for me. That is when i quit.

They should have made Open World PVP the way to go instead of the boring battlegrounds.

Apparently they have a different definition of "Listening to the Players" than I do.

If you compare SWG milking it out like SWTOR, they are both similar. The cartel shop sells cartel packs for a chance at super rare loot like SWG sold their Card Packs for super rare loot. "We're Listening." Its very very late.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Is there some game with still so much sub numbers? Not sure. Swtor is failure only if we compare it to wow and because of massive ammount of money to create this best game ever (imo of course).
  • GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by kb056

Considering EA Paid $860 million for this game and hasn't even come close to earning a fraction of that back, expect a shut down within a year or less  after this FTP bs peters out.

Would you please include links to your hate facts? Paid $860 million? You just pull that right out of your tin foil hat? Closed down in a year hmm? This was a statement on friday about their f2p. Schubert concurred, and he also mentioned that the numbers support BioWare's current position. "Almost every conceivable metric is better. The numbers have blown away our expectations, which means good things for the players and the game," he said. Some of these haters need to move on already.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    Originally posted by kb056

Would you please include links to your hate facts? Paid $860 million? You just pull that right out of your tin foil hat? Closed down in a year hmm? This was a statement on friday about their f2p. Schubert concurred, and he also mentioned that the numbers support BioWare's current position. "Almost every conceivable metric is better. The numbers have blown away our expectations, which means good things for the players and the game," he said. Some of these haters need to move on already.

Presumably the OP was referring to the sale price that EA paid to purchase BioWare in 2007, $860 Million USD.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-buying-bioware-pandemic-for-860m-6180818

That is separate from SWTOR development costs / advertising.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DEXA88DEXA88 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    I've been trying to make em listen ever since f2p release and so far they havent even aknowleged my problem. Support tickets went unsolved for 30 days now my friend whos a paying subscribern submited a ticket 15 days ago they havent answered him either he submited the problem  in the forum no answer there either. We called support first they said submit a ticket thru the website or ingame. Then they promised to call back and didn't!
  • GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by DEXA88

I've been trying to make em listen ever since f2p release and so far they havent even aknowleged my problem. Support tickets went unsolved for 30 days now my friend whos a paying subscribern submited a ticket 15 days ago they havent answered him either he submited the problem  in the forum no answer there either. We called support first they said submit a ticket thru the website or ingame. Then they promised to call back and didn't!

What were these "tickets"? And F2p has not been out for 30 days yet so confused how "been trying since f2p" "unresolved for 30 days now" hmm something isnt adding up in this post.
  • shadylurkershadylurker Member Posts: 47

Honestly, if bioware listened they would of started by listening to the beta players that said it was everything a MMO isnt and shouldnt be.  They will never listen, the game is bad, the best option for them, to make it a success is to scrap all of it, and start again.  

It is however, the greatest single player mmo in exsistance.