Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hawken: Primed for Open Beta

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Adhesive Games and Meteor Entertainment have announced that the open beta for Hawken will go live on December 12th. Players can head to the official site to sign up to take part in the open beta. Developers are also planning a Machinima trailer to celebrate the commencement of the open beta.

“It’s been a long road and I’m getting the jitter bug as we are getting near our Open Beta Event. Everyone on the team is putting in the extra effort to make the HAWKEN experience as fun as possible,” says Khang Le, Co-­?founder and Creative Director at Adhesive Games. Le encourages gamers to register for HAWKEN, “So test drive a HAWKEN mech starting 12.12.12! We would love to hear how to improve your experience, so don’t forget to join our forum and share your thoughts!” 

Head to the official Hawken site to get started.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    and this is different from MechWarrior Online how?
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    I was going to say...looks like MechWarrior...wtf? Confused.

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

1. Its not an MMO

2. Death match arena

3. Super fast paced for mechs

4. Amazing sound and graphics

Uhh... what?

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

it's actually good :P

well maybe too harsh but it got me hooked a little at least whereas mwo didn't for some odd reason

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lowfer69Lowfer69 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    It's a shooter, MWO is not. That's the main difference.
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Was in the closed betas and the game is kits of fun. Graphics and sound are amazing. Gameplay can get intense at times Like when you run away and do some ducking and dodging to slip away to repair up. Lots of fun!

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

It's much faster paced than MWO. Also, the mechs actually feel like, well, MECHS, and not just tanks with legs.

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80

That's the problem. MW:O is not anymore different than HAWKEN, like how HAWKEN really isn't anymore different than MW:O. If I had to nitpick, it may be because HAWKEN is more of a twitch shooter (faster-paced) whereas MW:O is more tactical (slower-paced). But in the end, they're both lobby-based shooters with mechs.

Seriously, MW:O could be so much better and offer more features (especially considering the history and lore behind it) that could potentially topple HAWKEN, but it seems like MW:O's devs are not listening and to me that's a missed opportunity. So what ends happening? HAWKEN and MW:O are clones of each other with negligible differences. It's sad, really.

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Both games are still a work in progress, and while they are similar they are completely different. MW:o is still changing alot.
  • ReignsonReignson Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by FallguyArmy

That's the problem. MW:O is not anymore different than HAWKEN, like how HAWKEN really isn't anymore different than MW:O. If I had to nitpick, it may be because HAWKEN is more of a twitch shooter (faster-paced) whereas MW:O is more tactical (slower-paced). But in the end, they're both lobby-based shooters with mechs.

Seriously, MW:O could be so much better and offer more features (especially considering the history and lore behind it) that could potentially topple HAWKEN, but it seems like MW:O's devs are not listening and to me that's a missed opportunity. So what ends happening? HAWKEN and MW:O are clones of each other with negligible differences. It's sad, really.

Yes, they are the same, like how World of Warcraft and and GuildWars 2 are the same.  i can play as a human  or as an elf in both... with negligible differences...

Have you even played both games, or are you voicing your opinion based on videos or something?   Because they play completely different, sorry.   MWO plays more similar to World of Tanks than it does to HAWKEN, and HAWKEN plays closer to a traditional FPS.  Both with Mech modification and customization, but huge differences in the actual feel of gameplay. 

My personal experiences in both closed betas was thus: 

MWO, I played for 3 matches and uninstalled.  It was too slow and just, well... boring and uninspired.

HAWKEN, I played off and on during all the beta phases.  Comming in as a fan of FPS's it felt really good, as a shooter.  Graphics are really nice, as is the audio and over-all immersion.  The Dev's at hawken seem to be trying pretty hard to make a quality shooter.  BUT, at the end of the day, is is still just another FPS. 

And as a final note, I doubt I will bother to install either game when they release.  I have other games that I greatly prefer to either of these.  But if you havn't tried them, and you are into mechs, you should.  Just don't belive that they are the same...  Try them both. 

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Reignson
    Originally posted by FallguyArmy

Yes, they are the same, like how World of Warcraft and and GuildWars 2 are the same.  i can play as a human  or as an elf in both... with negligible differences...

Have you even played both games, or are you voicing your opinion based on videos or something?   Because they play completely different, sorry.   MWO plays more similar to World of Tanks than it does to HAWKEN, and HAWKEN plays closer to a traditional FPS.  Both with Mech modification and customization, but huge differences in the actual feel of gameplay. 

My personal experiences in both closed betas was thus: 

MWO, I played for 3 matches and uninstalled.  It was too slow and just, well... boring and uninspired.

HAWKEN, I played off and on during all the beta phases.  Comming in as a fan of FPS's it felt really good, as a shooter.  Graphics are really nice, as is the audio and over-all immersion.  The Dev's at hawken seem to be trying pretty hard to make a quality shooter.  BUT, at the end of the day, is is still just another FPS. 

And as a final note, I doubt I will bother to install either game when they release.  I have other games that I greatly prefer to either of these.  But if you havn't tried them, and you are into mechs, you should.  Just don't belive that they are the same...  Try them both. 

Yep, I've tried them both and still currently testing as we speak.

Trust me, they're the same. Yes, MW:O is more like WoT with legged-mechs, whereas HAWKEN is more like a traditional shooter, but what else? You see where I'm getting at? They're both lobby-based shooters. Neither one provides anything unique outside of online multiplayer matches.

Both games have the potential to be something even greater than they are, but it seems like the devs really just want their games to be the next shooter... but with mechs. It's like comparing burgers from two fast-food chains. Neither one's really gonna stand out unless one of them thinks outside the box a little. 

EDIT:

Just noticed something interesting in your post. You said that you found MW:O to be slow-moving and boring. That's fine since it's your opinion, but that also lets me know that oyu most likely never played any of the old MechWarrior games, otherwise you would know what to expect, you would tolerate it, and you would also clearly see what's lacking in MW:O right now.

So inb4 trolls and haters, I actually do care for both HAWKEN and MW:O. Sadly, the developers of either side aren't doing anything to expand their games to the point of clear-cut distinction and that's why I feel like both HAWKEN and MW:O are clones of each other right now. It's the same problem that we see in CoD and Battlefield debates; people are so passionate to claim one is better than the other. Right now, HAWKEN is not anymore better than MW:O, and vice-versa.