Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen: Live-stream with Chris Roberts TOMORROW!

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Want to know how things are going with Star Citizen since Chris Roberts and his team secured over six million in funding via crowd-sourcing? Want to ask him some questions about the game's design, its offline and MMO features?  Want to just tell him how grateful you are for Wing Commander? Tune in tomorrow on our live-stream at 5pm EST (2pm PST) for all this and more! 

Feel free to ask some questions here, and we'll take some of the best to Chris tomorrow evening!

Chris and our own Garrett Fuller will take your questions and talk about the game tomorrow at 5pm EST on our Stream Page.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Nice :D
  • Lightsider01Lightsider01 Member Posts: 2

Thank you, Chris Roberts and team, for a great funding campaign and for a fantastic vision that got all of us excited. I believe in all of you.

My question:

To what extent will the playerbase be able to affect the persistent universe? It's generally known that players will be able to discover new areas, build ships, and trade, but will we be able to affect the universe in more subtle ways? I personally think that mechanics could be added to make the usual PvE mission structure in the persistent universe more meaningful. For instance, running combat, trade or mining missions for the UEE in a contested sector could incrementally raise the "security rating" of the sector. Likewise, running missions for unlawful elements would lower that rating. I think something like this would encourage players to try and fight for a cause, instead of just for money. This could also raise PvP conflict above the typical "I want your stuff / I don't like you / You smell funny" reasons.

Thank you for your time.

-Lightsider

• StormNetStormNet Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Looking forward to it.
  • GunFodderGunFodder Member Posts: 28
    In the videos, we've seen the controls for changing the ships facing (yaw/pitch/roll), but will Star Citizen feature direct lateral (strafing sideways) and ascension/descension movement? The sort of complete control that we see in Vipers and Raptors from Battlestar Galactica?
    If so, how would one utilize all of these motions, and how do you envision most players making the best use of these control options?
  • Shaddoh98Shaddoh98 Member Posts: 2

First off I wanted to thank Chris Roberts and everyone involved for taking the chance at making an epic game for not just for us Space Flight Sim addicts, but for PC gamers everywhere. It's awesome to see that someone is willing to put forth the effort for PC gaming.

My question is regarding events that happen naturally in space, such as super novas, black holes, gamma-ray bursts, quasars, pulsars, nebulas, star birth, and so on; will any of this be in the game and if so, to what extent? Would/could a super nova or quasar jeopardize a base in a given solar system or an entire system itself?

Also, what is the extent of planetary exploration we will be given if at all? Just scanning a planet or can we actually send probes? Would we be able to land? Will discoveries of alien technology be apart of the game?

Lastly, I was under the impression (not sure if I had read it somewhere or someone had told me) that we would be able to, for instance, attack a capital ship and after taking it's defences down we would be able to board it (kind of like a FPS type of thing). Is there any truth to this? If so, would we be able to steal intel and tech from said capital ship for our own use or sale?

Anyway, I'd like to thank you for keeping in direct contact with your player base which is often overlooked by most companies. I (and I'm sure everyone else) fully have your back and have been waiting a long LONG time for this exact type of game. Thank you so much for everything you and your team has done and will do in the future!

-Shaddoh98

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

They already have preliminary system specs out:

"There will be a lot of optimization in the next 24-months, plus the usual fast pace of technology, so it is hard to say absolutely. At the moment you will be able to play it on a dual core PC with a GTX 460 or greater and 4GB of system memory. If you’re running an i7 2500, 2600, 2700 or better with a GTX 670 or greater then the stars are the limit! Since the game is built on CryEngine, their system requirements will stay roughly the same as ours."

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    I'll definately be tuning in for the stream tomorrow. 2014 or whenever this releases really can't get here soon enough, i'm getting so tired of having to resort to reinstalling X3 to get my space sim fix and it's about time that gap finally started being filled.
  • NongeNonge Member Posts: 28

QUESTION #1: will larger ships (constellation, idris, bengal, etc.) be able to fight with only one person piloting, the player? In otherwords, will you be able to fire the turrets or launch "pet" fighters as you pilot the ship if no one else is on board?

QUESTION #2: will there be NPCs walking around the PLAYER OWNED bigger ships and will they be customizable in any way. For instance, if the Bengal has a bar will all Bengal owners have the same bartender NPC or could we be able to modify them (face, clothes, body) to a small extent just to make a player's ship unique.

QUESTION 3: we know you can have a military career via Squadron 42 but can a player join a underground organization, like an NPC run crime syndicate and be a smuggler for them, as an example?

QUESTION 4: will bounty hunting be implemented and will it be against NPCs only, players only, or both?

• Disench4ntedDisench4nted Member Posts: 1

I've seen this question a couple of times, but I just want to reiterate it. Controls. What level of control will we have over our ship? Will we have vertical/horizontal movement (while our orientation stays the same)?

The question really boils down to this: Can you please explain your idea of "fly-by-wire". Will there be different "flight control" modules that you can install on your ship to change how it flies? Lets say I'm just starting out and am not a good pilot yet, I may want my ship to have a "fly-like-airplane" module installed. But as I get better I may want to install a different system that allows me more control over exactly how my ship is moving, so could I install a different "flight control" module that would allow me to fly more like a spaceship? This would include vertical and horizontal "strafing" and changing my orientation without changing my velocity, 

• XcomVicXcomVic Member Posts: 50

Question 1:

Will we be able to house Squadrons(aka Guilds) in Spacestations or maybe Planets in the future? I know the Idris is out there for Squadrons, which brings me to number 2:

Question 2:

How many fighters are you allowing in the Idris?

Question 3: 

Will you be adding anymore ships (or packages like the Pirate thing) into the mix for add-ons prior to Alpha/Beta/Release?

Question 4: 

In the persistent world, will there be:

a) Safe Zones

b) The ability to warp out of danger (after drives warm up of course)

c)  Abiity to target ship systems to disable them (aka drives, weapon systems, shield generators, etc.)

d) A way to construct Spacestations, or any other sort of crafting? I heard sandbox a lot, will the ability to create new weapon systems or such be allowed?

e) Will there be events that are hosted by the devs?

f) Will there eventually be aliens which we can choose to play as (and have other ship choices) or is the extent just the Vanduul and the Vanduul Fighter?

g) For ships that have Lifetime Insurance, will they be raidable, stealable without penatly? I will not be playing as a Pirate, but if I was to come about a group of pirates and take them out, would me and my friends be able to hijack their ships for ourselves? Which leads into the next one:

h) How many ships will we be able to have, and WHERE are we storing them at?

i) Will land missions eventually make it into the game? I.e. actually landing on planets and taking a stake of land/world as ours?

• RazimusRazimus Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Few people have had the chance to see greatness twice in their lives, the Greatest mmorpg of all time and the 2nd greatest mmorpg of all time, such is a rare occasion, forseen by the Mayans perhaps, forseen by the Druids who built Stonehenge perhaps, an occasion rarer than most celestial allignments, Ultima Online being of course the first great mmorpg, Star Citizen of course being the second great mmorpg, all games before mere attempts at such geatness, all games in-between cannon fodder, all games after attempts at such greatness, to think some mortal humans have had the chance to play the beta test for these 2 games, such is the life of a rare individual who will see Halley's comet twice in their lifetime.

--- Razimus

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

QUESTION 1: How long will it take to travel accross the universe, weeks, days in realtime to encourage explorers or do we just jump from any spot in the universe to another?How vast will space feel?

QUESTION 2:  A very long thread on the forums showed that almost everyone has a 64 Bit Windows OS or has plans to go 64 Bit with their next PC for Star Citizen. Wouldn't the game performance and overall possibilities benefit if the minimum requirements would be set to a 64 Bit instead of 32 Bit?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

QUESTION 2:  A very long thread on the forums showed that almost everyone has a 64 Bit Windows OS or has plans to go 64 Bit with their next PC for Star Citizen. Wouldn't the game performance and overall possibilities benefit if the minimum requirements would be set to a 64 Bit instead of a 32 Bit OS?

The Return of ELITE !

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    question: will i be able to kill players and take their stuf?....yea, just like in your top competitor EvE.
  • LucaiLucai Member Posts: 1
    Can you archive these live streams in a podcast?
  • Pafetik_BazerkaPafetik_Bazerka Member Posts: 1
    Question @CR, you have already stated that atmospheric flight and real time landings will not be a feature of the game at launch, this seems understandable for living, habited planets. Is this also applicable to skimming gas giants, or exploring otherwise barren rocks and moons. How will we be able to interact with other celestial bodies if at all? Or will exploration be WW2 flight speeds in-between ‘instances’, jumps, and cut scenes? And if interaction is planned, how do you plan on creating these rocks moons, gas giants etc.

• RazimusRazimus Member UncommonPosts: 128
    what is new special trinket virtual gift gift to be gifted? people are saying there will be a new gift to be given away, what is it? thank you!

--- Razimus

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    I'd like a bit more info on the universe or galaxy I should say and more about distance/time/speed etc?
  • LadwinLadwin Member Posts: 1

Question to CR :

How will you do that “mod tools” don’t be “cheat tools” ?
    On Freelancer mods, players quickly discovered trade routes, new bases, new wrecks because they used mod tools as FL explorer, FL Companion or FL hack. I wouldn’t this to happen with Star Citizen.

• BluehelmBluehelm Member Posts: 1

QUESTION 1:

Will there be autopilot on the ships 

in that case do you have to buy/install it to your ship? (that would be cool)

QUESTION 2:

If it's going to be autopilot, can you walk around in your ship (if it's big enough of course) while it is flying?

QUESTION 3:

in a big ship for example The Constellation Mk3 the max crew is four players, but does that mean that only 4 persons can be in it at the same time? no passengers? it is big enough and it have capacity up to 35 tons of cargo, so should be able to carry 5 persons ;)

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Q. Roughly how many people per server will you have concurrently?
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    question: will i be able to kill players and take their stuf?....yea, just like in your top competitor EvE.

I can answer this:

YES

The Return of ELITE !

• SeggfaceSeggface Member Posts: 3

@CR:

-It’s known, that the team is constantly modifying CryEngine 3 to suit your needs. What was the biggest issue or limitation related to CE3, that your team encountered?

-With CE3 you have the opportunity to make a full scale universe like EVE’s Dust 514 project. Have you thought about it?

- Will the RADAR,LIDAR, other sensor systems simulated in real-time like the physics, giving us pretty good real-life experience with jamming, hiding (turn off sytems, hide behind objects like asteroids, other ships, blind spots)?

• SeggfaceSeggface Member Posts: 3

@CR:

-Planet landing. Will it be cinematic, animation/script or “minigame”?

“minigame”: approach the planet in a given vector, fly through a virtual tunnel – with safety zone – during the whole entry. When you reach the upper atmo the entry effects will kick in, hide everything so the planet surface can be loaded. You could end up in the clouds, and fly down to the surface. The 3×3 km area surrounding the base could be made by hand, for all other stuff go with the repeated, procedural wasteland.

• BasheronBasheron Member Posts: 1
    Will your client be native 64-bit to take advantage of the massive amounts of memory that computers now and 2 years from now will have? Anyone still using a 32 bit only computer will not meet your minimum specifications anyways, so why not future proof your game to updates 2, 5, 10 years down the road?