Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End of Nations: Layoffs Reported at Petroglyph

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

End of Nations developer, Petroglyph, has reportedly laid off thirty workers from its Las Vegas studio. The layoffs have been rumored via Twitter and a report that Eurogamer had it on "good authority". The layoff reports come on the heels of last week's announcement that the open beta would be delayed indefinitely.

Read more at GamesIndustry.biz.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    That's unfortunate. Always sucks to see layoffs, especially during the holidays. =/
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

It probably has a lot to do with the fact that the game, honestly, isn't very good. They had a good concept on paper long ago, but they changed it too much into an RTT-MOBA, rather than the MMORTS people were looking for.

I'd say there just isn't enough interest in a game like this, and judging by the beta population and general forum activity, I think I'm right.

They should have sticked to the concepts that made their Command & Conquer games a succes. (Before they sold it to EA.)

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by raapnaap

It probably has a lot to do with the fact that the game, honestly, isn't very good. They had a good concept on paper long ago, but they changed it too much into an RTT-MOBA, rather than the MMORTS people were looking for.

I'd say there just isn't enough interest in a game like this, and judging by the beta population and general forum activity, I think I'm right.

They should have sticked to the concepts that made their Command & Conquer games a succes. (Before they sold it to EA.)

I would have to agree with this. The game isn't good at all.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    I agree, I played the beta and just didnt see anything beyond standard multiplayer RTS with a few rpg elements. There are tons of ideas from fans out there they could try and adapt into a game. But I think this genre would be difficult to attract the kind of money to be succesful.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Is this the same game on the Trion Worlds' website? I thought Trion was the developer for End of Nations.

** edit **
    Nevermind. Trion is the publisher, not the developer.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    This game while not great, was a lot better than Mytheon.
  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

They wanted to blend the lines of the MOBA craze while also catering to the Starcarft 2 E-Sport crowd it seems..

From what I could tell, the game was looking to be an E-Sport competitive game, and maybe what most of us wanted was more of a "world".

It needed more persistent elements imo..

Now that MOBA gurus have DOTA 2 and LoL firmly locked down(possibly Smite), the craze to cash in on it will fade..

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

this is rather unfortunate. as i actrually enjoyed the game, reminded me of the old EE-MP customs i used to play with unit spawn points. that being said the game really didnt make much sense on what it was trying to create. 

alot of the missions really seemed confused, are they a straight up grudge match or a slow paced res builder..  which i think is what pushed alot of people away from the game, they entered in with a RTS mind set but RTS really didnt work with EoN as there is no actual unit building or res collecting, with enough time you generate enough res for stuff (which is annoying in a pinch) hopefully this is not spelling the end of EoN though as i would rather play it over some of the "RTS" games on facebook..  its hard to make a MMO game out of RTS games IMO which sucks :/

• MiflettMiflett Member Posts: 1
    My best wishes to those who got laid off; it's a hard career path for sure.  Hopefully they find more work without trouble.
  • YauchyYauchy Member UncommonPosts: 298

I have a friend that works for their QA department, worry tells me he's likely one of the unlucky ones :(

I did have a chance to beta the game and found it fun, just not enough to keep me hooked or to buy into it...it will be interesting to see what they do with the IP in the least.

• TrojunTrojun Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ
    That's unfortunate. Always sucks to see layoffs, especially during the holidays. =/

I know. Do we just pay more attention to it this time of year or do gaming companies lay of more people in December? It's been a raelly tough time formost of  the gaming business this year.

December is one of the highest months for layoffs for all types of companies.  A lot of companies fiscal year starts in January and benefits like vacation and year end bonuses are accrued at the end of December and beginning of January.  Kinda crappy way to treat employees imo but it happens all the time.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310
    To think I almost landed a job there as a senior concept artist but ended up being too junior for the role. would I of been one of the many laid off? Sad so many people got laid off just before the holidays. I truly hope this game is not cancelled and is able to be finished. Seemed like an interesting game.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.