Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Level 80, Now What?

124»

Comments

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I have 2 80's and currently can stand to play either one. My crafting is 350+ in two areas and I just can't take any more grinding..or mindless WvW. So my answer is ...I don't play this game.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    @ wowclones. Exactly. Best value game ever made.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by elocke

Got my warrior to 80.  Immediately created an ele alt.  Got to about 65 with her.  Stopped playing.  Became extremely bored doing the same thing over and over for a story I could give two poops about.

Back to playing SWTOR.  Back to playing with the trinity.....and loving it. :)

While I wouldn't tout SWTOR as being worth going back to over any other game(extreme lack of diversity in leveling) you have a point about the trinity.  I thought I would enjoy the gameplay GW2 brought to the table with parties and no true tank/healers but quickly found I hated it and wanted trinity gameplay asap, especially in dungeons.  Trinity gameplay just allows one to focus build characters more and feel like they are contributing to the group.  In GW2's current form I feel lost half the time and useless the other half, mostly as I'm running back mid fight 5 times on 1 boss along with other members of the party just to take the next party members spot as he dies to the that same boss and does the death run back to us and repeats ad nauseum until the boss is dead.  Yeah, it's just dumb and doesn't really work.

Game tastes are subjective.

But the removing of the trinity without replacing it with something else was a huge mistake on ANET's part.  A clear example of simply changing a mechanic for the sake of changing it with zero afterthough afterwards.  Combat is confused and utterly without any strategy.  I absolutely hated the dungeon experience. 

If you are going to remove something that has worked, provide an alternative.  Removing for the sake of removing is lazy and uttetly poor planning.

Why do you need to replace the trinity? The idea is not to use any mechanic like that. Each individual has to heal themselves as well as protect. It makes the game less - pew, pew, pew - like RIft, WoW, etc.

The evade mechanics in GW2, also make it play more like PvP, which you do have to move otherwise die.

I understand that was their idea.  I'm simply agreeing with the many, many others that felt it was a bad choice and only made the combat confusing.

If you understand it, then why do you say "changing a mechanic for the sake of changing it"? It's pretty obvious why the change was made, I respect that many don't like it and that's fine as well.

In the end, I think that's what they did.  I don't think it works very well.

There is an obvious reason for the change, it's not for the sake of it. They get rid of the rigid structure that the trinity brings. Many don't care about the LF Healer/Tank problem but many other's do. This does away with it, for the better if I might add.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Wow, GW2 defenders are now defending it as "It's a game for people that will only play it around 40 hours total, and maybe 1-3 hours a week!  Shut up about how there's no end game content!!!!!!"

This is officialy sad now..

• ZheketriZheketri Member UncommonPosts: 23

As a table top player the following phrase just kind of jumped out at me as odd:

"Guild Wars only had a level cap of 20, which was really weird for an RPG."

Most likely just dating myself 8)

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Nevulus

As usual, another MMO company caters to the "ez-mode" crowd and make the game too easy to level up. Even the casual player hit max way too soon. 

First poster is correct.

As usual, a person who has not played the game talking about things he knows not. I have one character at lvl 80 and that is at 200 hrs or so - that is NOT too soon. How long would you like it to take? A.Net just made leveling linear not logirthmic like most games.

Botry I know your GW2s most rabid defender, and that;s all the more reason why you shouldnt be saying you have on 80 and it's 200 hours or so.

I powerleveled to 80 on an alt in two days, took like 40 hours. That's really bad for an MMO.

• DeDroaDeDroa Member UncommonPosts: 11

I would love to see my lvl 80 actually 1-hit a lvl 1 mob without having to get all the best gears and a great critical chance percentage.

As for the lvling. 2 hours reading a crafting guide and 60 dollars in points later. Oh hey look I have a new lvl 80. Sure wish I didn't waste all that grind making the first one.

I'm waiting for the person that gets a lvl 80 from crafting in 20 minutes or less to tell me whether my 2 hours were worth it.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by DeDroa

I would love to see my lvl 80 actually 1-hit a lvl 1 mob without having to get all the best gears and a great critical chance percentage.

As for the lvling. 2 hours reading a crafting guide and 60 dollars in points later. Oh hey look I have a new lvl 80. Sure wish I didn't waste all that grind making the first one.

I'm waiting for the person that gets a lvl 80 from crafting in 20 minutes or less to tell me whether my 2 hours were worth it.

Are you seriously playing games to get your character to max level in shortest way possible? I play games to have fun and leveling is by no means part of that fun for me. I'm really sorry for you, if you consider leveling as just a chore to get to "end game".

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Zheketri

As a table top player the following phrase just kind of jumped out at me as odd:

"Guild Wars only had a level cap of 20, which was really weird for an RPG."

Most likely just dating myself 8)

Haha, I remember some 10 years ago, I used to play JPRGs. And you know JRPGs - 100 levels, attacks doing thousands of damage etc. etc. My fried told me he hated it, he prefered his Baldur's gate with less levels and damage alongside tens or hundreds at best. Look at games today :)

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    Originally posted by korent1991

http://guildwars2hub.com/features/editorials/80-things-do-level-80

That's to get you started, if you can't come up with your own ideas :P heheheh

Well at least it is being fair saying "things".

One reads that and you can categorize it into

• pvp
    • grind gold
    • dungeons
    • grind gold
    • achievements
    • grind gold

So basically, same shiitake mushrooms you can do in any other MMO.

28. Give Logan a wedgie

29. Participate in the Norn Keg Brawl

39. Find and complete all 31 jumping puzzles

42. Outrun a centaur

43. Charm all possible pets as a Ranger

44. Create an all-ranger guild called Team Rocket, lose constantly in sPvP

50. Complete the awesome Yakslapper achievement in WvW

54. Play the organ in Caledon forest, and party with the Quaggan

65. Collect stacks of butter and butter prank your friends

70. Read all of the books in Divinity's Reach

71. Read the story of how Ebonhawke was founded

79. Go skydiving in Arah after defeating Zhaitan

Those are all things which don't really include farming except the 44th, which I added simply because it's really funny :D

I personally did few stuff from this list and it was really funny and amazing (Depending on what I was doing). The important thing is to go explore the details of this game - which really are amazing and you can see they payed attention to them.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• HonkieHonkie Member Posts: 152

There used to be plenty of things to do at 80. Now, well...run Fractals or farm, because it's turning into a grinder.

This was the best game of the year until the developers changed their entire way of viewing the game right about the time it was released, and started doing crazy stuff.  Very disappointing.  Now?  Best thing to do when you hit 80 is...stop playing.

• ta_erogta_erog Member Posts: 34

Allot of QQ . . .

To people that spent the last months power leveling  - for no good reason - you missed allot of the game! go back explore, make alts, or stop playing since you burnt your self out.

To the people that only play PVP  either you like it or not, you put your $60 down to try, you do not have to play the PvE game or continue playing this one.

To people that think grinding/farming for Gold - Gear - Mats is the whole game and the only thing to left to do . . . look around! it is a big place.

Effectively like any other game you SHOULD play it to have fun.  IF you are not having fun WTF are you doing wasteing your time for?? Really it is !! entertainment!!

I am having fun just running around and finding fun things to do a few times a week for a few hours,  Joining up with Guild mates once a week or two to do a dungeon.  At lv 80 I get to run around with a few mates in a war zone because solo is rather dicey there.  And I have 6 Alts!  I am taking my time and having fun.
    Now note this is no "fanboy" talking here since this game and ALL others have flaws. (I know I am a QA eng in my day job)  But so far none of these effect my play much at all and I am enjoying my self (Again all that matters)
    Also you can't be everything to everybody, but the great part is, you do not have to keep paying and feeling that you must play.  Get bored, shelve it for a few months . . when more content comes out check it out again if you want - no obligation either way. 
    So stop the QQ you know what you where getting into and only payed $60 for at worse a fair RPG or a ok multiplayer PvP game.