Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Which mainstream themepark allows the most freedom?

tuppe99tuppe99 Dublin, INPosts: 276Member Uncommon

I have given up on seeing a decent sandbox in the near future, so I am going to play the themepark that allows me the most freedom to do what I want, whatever that may be on the day.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• FromHellFromHell NY, NYPosts: 1,311Member

+ 1 for The Secret World

No classes, no levels, open character development.

Feels very themepark/sandbox hybrid to me and the mission variety is top notch. Also a lot of immersive RP features.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by FromHell

+ 1 for The Secret World

No classes, no levels, open character development.

Feels very themepark/sandbox hybrid to me and the mission variety is top notch. Also a lot of immersive RP features.

My opinion here - TSW has an interesting story but other wise there is no immersion and just feels like they took a console FPS (animation-wise) and made an MMO with it.  I found the game clunky and not all that top notch.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Stow, OHPosts: 1,214Member

Themepark and Freedom don't really go together. GL with that one.

But there are a few sandboxes coming down the pipe that look promising in 2013.

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

Themepark and Freedom don't really go together. GL with that one.

But there are a few sandboxes coming down the pipe that look promising in 2013.

There is freedom in those games but a true open world freedom with nice graphics is a long way away.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

• AxehandleAxehandle Florida, FLPosts: 147Member
    Disney is very restrictive you can't even bring your own water to the parks you have to buy theirs. Six flags is fun.
  • MurdusMurdus bayville, NYPosts: 698Member

How about GW2?

Freedoms include:

- There are 5 different races each with it's own starting zone. You can travel to another's starting zone if you want, or go to all of them. They are all unique.

- Level-scaling areas such as PvP / WvWvW / Fractal dungeon / Southsun Cove allow you to blow of steam from leveling and explore those areas while being scaled to level 80 to give you a fighting chance

- You can craft your way all the way to level 80 if you have enough materiels to do it.

- After 80 you can explore and complete the whole map while being scaled down so it isn't "too" easy.

- No quests, just run around and do what that area needs you to do.

Of course the game is instanced heavily, there's one direction to go, and it's to level 80. Then at 80 you're basically getting materiels for a new weapon the whole time, or improving your armor/accessories.

Idk, worth a shot if you haven't played it yet. If you know you don't like it, then whatevs. 

The only other game I could think of that has a sandbox feel would be Vanguard. LotRO is pretty fun, it has player housing, but it is quite linear.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Stevens Point, WIPosts: 392Member Uncommon
    I've been pretty impressed with EQ2 and the amount of things there are to do in that game. Crafting, housing, open and instanced dungeons, the AA system, size of the world etc. Pretty under rated game IMO.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• KenzeKenze Posts: 1,214Member Uncommon

Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by FromHell + 1 for The Secret World No classes, no levels, open character development. Feels very themepark/sandbox hybrid to me and the mission variety is top notch. Also a lot of immersive RP features.
    My opinion here - TSW has an interesting story but other wise there is no immersion and just feels like they took a console FPS (animation-wise) and made an MMO with it.  I found the game clunky and not all that top notch.

i couldnt agree more!

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• EyrothathEyrothath Phoenix, AZPosts: 198Member

I wanna say Vanguard, it features housing, tons of races, ships to sail on, a HUGE world that is completely open without barriers and it has a pretty good crafting system, I consider a "themepark" game mostly because the game still leads you down a very narrow path (if you wish to succeed) it isn't a PVP game either, I don't even know if you can PVP in the game and the game is still pretty much a grind.. Graphically it is out-dated..  Still, I absolutely love the world they created with Vanguard..

Another good one still imo is Dark Age of Camelot..

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,564Member Uncommon

Vanguard definitely. But if you want a more active/populated mmo, Rift.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by tuppe99

I have given up on seeing a decent sandbox in the near future, so I am going to play the themepark that allows me the most freedom to do what I want, whatever that may be on the day.

Any suggestions?

Depends on how you define "freedom". If you define it by the number of choices of activites you can engage in when you log in ... look no further than WOW.

You can:

- run quests

- run dungeons

- raid

- collect pets

- pokemon battle

- mine/collect herbs/skin

- grind factions

• DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIPosts: 1,401Member Uncommon
    Vanguard and EQ2. They are Theme Parks...  for adults.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Auburn, INPosts: 989Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Vanguard definitely. But if you want a more active/populated mmo, Rift.

I agree with Vanguard but Rift has the least freedom of any mmo I've played..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,564Member Uncommon

Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by Foomerang Vanguard definitely. But if you want a more active/populated mmo, Rift.
    I agree with Vanguard but Rift has the least freedom of any mmo I've played..

Really? Thats quite different from my experience. The recent expansion has really opened up the game. There are lots of ways to play and interact.

• TweFojuTweFoju Saitama & Jakarta ( current )Posts: 1,013Member Uncommon

for now Vanguard is probably the most freedom you can go for, it's total open world and there is actually no rules on how you can progress

for future, try Repopulation, it's probably the colesest thing to SWG

So What Now?

• phantomghostphantomghost Atlanta, GAPosts: 689Member Uncommon
    EQ1 has been the best and imo the only good themepark to ever come out.

"I see they watchin' me and takin' notes on my moves, Run up on me it's all I want I ain't got nothin' to lose."

• TweFojuTweFoju Saitama & Jakarta ( current )Posts: 1,013Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by TweFoju

for now Vanguard is probably the most freedom you can go for, it's total open world and there is actually no rules on how you can progress

for future, try Repopulation, it's probably the colesest thing to SWG

oh, downside is.. Vanguard has little to close no to population, there are a fair number of players, but for the vast world, it might be too empty for your liking

So What Now?

• OnomasOnomas Rock Hill, SCPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tuppe99

Any suggestions?

EQNext

The repopulation

Archeage

Greed Monger

The Black Desert

Dark Fall 2/UW

Dragons Prophet

Age of Wushu

Embers of Caerus

Origins of Malu

Just a few sandboxes coming up within the next year or 2.

But for the mean time try EQ2, vanguard, Aion, PoTBS, few others out there that are decent. Depends if u like questing, crafting, larger worlds, etc........

But EQ2, game i recently just went back to, has more than enough content to hold you over until a good sandbox comes out.

If you decide on one of the SOE games, grab the all access pass, this way you can play them all and mix them up to find which one suits you. 19.99$ a month for 6 games is a good buy. And EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, PoTBS, PS2, PS, and DCUO are all included and may be a better option.