Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

GW2 voted top video game of 2012

245678

Comments

  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan EastPosts: 2,630Member
    Originally posted by Serelisk
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Shocking. More evidence for the downfall of the gaming industry and the taste of gamers.

    Funny, I had the opposite reaction and analysis. 

    Same here. And the fact that Torchlight II is on the list and not Diablo III shows that gamers have quite good taste actually.

    If you wonder why I don't answer your posts, it's most likely because you are on my block list - so don't waste your time.

    image

  • FromHellFromHell NY, NYPosts: 1,311Member
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Serelisk
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Shocking. More evidence for the downfall of the gaming industry and the taste of gamers.

    Funny, I had the opposite reaction and analysis. 

    Same here. And the fact that Torchlight II is on the list and not Diablo III shows that gamers have quite good taste actually.

    they call endlessly looping "dynamic events" a living world. Sorry, but not by my defintion.

    A highly theme park-ish MMO like GW2 No.1? Bad choice.

    That list is rubbish, except that XCOM is on it

    Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

    Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s
    .


    .
    The Return of ELITE !
    image

  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Vineland, NJPosts: 869Member

    All lists like these are rubbish.

    Doesnt matter if its Times list or Peoples list or even MMORPG.coms list. All pointless and subjective in the end.

    image

  • xausxaus HullPosts: 34Member
    Voted by people in Somalia?
  • grimalgrimal Stamford, CTPosts: 2,873Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by azzamasin

    Yes time of all places voted GW2 #1 game of 2012.  Notice it doesn't say #1 MMO of 2012.  Tells you a little about just how good this game really is.

     

    http://techland.time.com/2012/12/04/top-10-tech-lists/slide/guild-wars-2-pc/#/2012/12/04/top-10-tech-lists/slide/xenoblade-chronicles-wii/?&_suid=13546821605050845328618916812

    Congratulations, ANET!

    As an MMORPG, it lacks, but as a video game, it is very good.

  • botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Also noted that they include Torchlight 2 and not Diablo 3. Very good call.

    I am VERY happy with this...

    However, GW2 doesn NOT deserve the vote of top game of 2012... it's just so.. boring.  So few skills to use, barely any real end-game, and that fight with Zhaitan was laughable at best. The story in general is pretty bland, actually.

    I liked that you could explore, find specific points of interest, do the "dynamic" events, pvp, whatever, and get xp towards your goal of 80th level, but PvP isn't very fun (WvW or SPvP), PvE isn't a ton different than the norm aside from everyone in the same area being able to do the quests with you without grouping.

    Hm... I just really don't get the game. Period. Oh well, for me.

    The amount of skills is a DESIGN element. I for one am happy not to have to have 12 skill bars on my screen because game writiers DON'T know how to design skills.

     

    The story is not bland - it does follow the GW1 theme - you have to listen to the NPC's rather than just running around like an fool.

     

    You obviously don't get the game - which game DO YOU GET? Probably none on the market.

    image

    "In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

  • botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by xaus
    Voted by people in Somalia?

    More than likely people NOT on this site. This is the site of the vocal minority.

    image

    "In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Vineland, NJPosts: 869Member
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Also noted that they include Torchlight 2 and not Diablo 3. Very good call.

    I am VERY happy with this...

    However, GW2 doesn NOT deserve the vote of top game of 2012... it's just so.. boring.  So few skills to use, barely any real end-game, and that fight with Zhaitan was laughable at best. The story in general is pretty bland, actually.

    I liked that you could explore, find specific points of interest, do the "dynamic" events, pvp, whatever, and get xp towards your goal of 80th level, but PvP isn't very fun (WvW or SPvP), PvE isn't a ton different than the norm aside from everyone in the same area being able to do the quests with you without grouping.

    Hm... I just really don't get the game. Period. Oh well, for me.

    The amount of skills is a DESIGN element. I for one am happy not to have to have 12 skill bars on my screen because game writiers DON'T know how to design skills.

     

    The story is not bland - it does follow the GW1 theme - you have to listen to the NPC's rather than just running around like an fool.

     

    You obviously don't get the game - which game DO YOU GET? Probably none on the market.

    Is he playing it wrong?

    image

  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Vineland, NJPosts: 869Member
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by azzamasin

    Yes time of all places voted GW2 #1 game of 2012.  Notice it doesn't say #1 MMO of 2012.  Tells you a little about just how good this game really is.

     

    http://techland.time.com/2012/12/04/top-10-tech-lists/slide/guild-wars-2-pc/#/2012/12/04/top-10-tech-lists/slide/xenoblade-chronicles-wii/?&_suid=13546821605050845328618916812

    Congratulations, ANET!

    As an MMORPG, it lacks, but as a video game, it is very good.

    i see what you did there image

    image

  • hikaru77hikaru77 buenos airesPosts: 1,035Member Uncommon
    Lol, is petty much the only MMO of 2012. 
  • botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Lol, is petty much the only MMO of 2012. 

    AHH - SWTOR, TERA, and TSW all came out this year. I guess they don't count as MMO's.

    image

    "In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

  • toddzetoddze no where, OKPosts: 2,155Member
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Lol, is petty much the only MMO of 2012. 

    AHH - SWTOR, TERA, and TSW all came out this year. I guess they don't count as MMO's.

    SWTOR released 2011, all be it dec 20, it was still released in 2011.

    Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Lol, is petty much the only MMO of 2012. 

    AHH - SWTOR, TERA, and TSW all came out this year. I guess they don't count as MMO's.

    Let me check...hmm....according to people on this here site, that would be four "nopes".

    First rule around here is 'assume it's already dead, complain about it a lot, collect "me toos".'  

    We never tire of this cycle.

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper LondonPosts: 2,751Member
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Lol, is petty much the only MMO of 2012. 

    AHH - SWTOR, TERA, and TSW all came out this year. I guess they don't count as MMO's.

    Fierce competition.

     

    Still gratz, it's not my cup of tea but it's good at what it is trying to be good at.

    "Come and have a look at what you could have won."

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Lol, is petty much the only MMO of 2012. 

    2012 had more retail mmo releases than 2011 or 2010

     

    TERA and The Secret World also launched in 2012

  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan EastPosts: 2,630Member
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Lol, is petty much the only MMO of 2012. 

    AHH - SWTOR, TERA, and TSW all came out this year. I guess they don't count as MMO's.

    Well, SW:TOR is a 2011 game... but I agree, a December release is pretty much a "next year" release anyway.

    GW2 will beat SW:TOR, TERA and TSW in many other awards this year. Mark my words. Why? Because beside the very vocal minority here, all reviewers loved the fact that a polished AAA game finally kicked the WoW clone model hornet nest.

    Will GW2 be the "end of it all" MMORPG? Not even remotely close. But the game made things move... look at the upcoming theme parks, like Elder Scrolls... they are copying GW2 features, and hopefully they will even improve on them. Hell, even exitsting games like LOTRO copied GW2 features for their expansions.

    GW2 did what no major developer had the balls to do... create an AAA theme park MMORPG that is not a WoW clone, and make it succeed. Show that you don't need quest hubs for a theme park to work.

    And as a bonus, they also show that even a modern AAA '"buy to play" MMORPG can have monthly content updates.

     

    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Lol, is petty much the only MMO of 2012. 

    AHH - SWTOR, TERA, and TSW all came out this year. I guess they don't count as MMO's.

    Let me check...hmm....according to people on this here site, that would be four "nopes".

    First rule around here is 'assume it's already dead, complain about it a lot, collect "me toos".'  

    We never tire of this cycle.

     image image

    If you wonder why I don't answer your posts, it's most likely because you are on my block list - so don't waste your time.

    image

  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer RomePosts: 557Member Uncommon

    Besides the fact that this "Techland" is hardly a reference and source for any valid judgement (first time I've ever heard of it), I just saw some random game called "Xenoblade" is second on the list, heh. 

     

    Call me mainstreamer, but I'll wait for IGN's real GOTY lists.

    My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

  • evolver1972evolver1972 Port Orchard, WAPosts: 1,118Member

    Well deserved, and gratz Anet.  Looking forward to years of fun with the game.

     

    And thanks for making what consider to be the best video game ever! 

    image

    You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

    Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

  • botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by toddze
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by toddze
    Tell me what other games released in 2012..... ya exactly. Thats like giving a trophy to a guy who won a race when he was the only runner.

    Time top 10 list

     1. GW2
     2. Xenoblade Chronicles
     3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
     4. Dishonored
     5. Assassin’s Creed III
     6. Papo & Yo
     7. The Last Story
     8. LittleBigPlanet
     9. Halo 4
    10. Torchlight II

    [mod edit]

    [mod edit]

    two thumbs up for BS!!

    image

    "In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

  • hikaru77hikaru77 buenos airesPosts: 1,035Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Lol, is petty much the only MMO of 2012. 

    AHH - SWTOR, TERA, and TSW all came out this year. I guess they don't count as MMO's.

    SWTOR is from 2011 and also, it was game of the year but you cant be serious about TERA and TSW.

  • botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Lol, is petty much the only MMO of 2012. 

    AHH - SWTOR, TERA, and TSW all came out this year. I guess they don't count as MMO's.

    SWTOR is from 2011 and also, it was game of the year but you cant be serious about TERA and TSW.

    They are MMO's and came out this year. That is all I was pointing out.

    image

    "In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

  • BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by toddze
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by toddze
    Tell me what other games released in 2012..... ya exactly. Thats like giving a trophy to a guy who won a race when he was the only runner.

    Time top 10 list

     1. GW2
     2. Xenoblade Chronicles
     3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
     4. Dishonored
     5. Assassin’s Creed III
     6. Papo & Yo
     7. The Last Story
     8. LittleBigPlanet
     9. Halo 4
    10. Torchlight II

    [mod edit]

    [mod edit]

    two thumbs up for BS!!

    Well come on now... I've probably been playing MMOs longer than most people on this site and anyone who doesn't find enjoyment and a touch of happiness from playing LittleBigPlanet is a seriously broken individual.

    And yes people, TIME magazine is a huge, huge, huge publication.

    "Time has the world's largest circulation for a weekly news magazine, and has a readership of 25 million, 20 million of which are in the US."

    So I guess I can forgive our European friends for calling TIME an obscure publication.

  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148 1, NJPosts: 6,690Member
    Sorry but to me nothing beats Mass Effect 3 this year. Completely an amazing rpg experience with great story. It is so much better than GW2 is every way. Who actually voted for this stuff ?
    30
  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

    Besides the fact that this "Techland" is hardly a reference and source for any valid judgement (first time I've ever heard of it), I just saw some random game called "Xenoblade" is second on the list, heh. 

     

    Call me mainstreamer, but I'll wait for IGN's real GOTY lists.

    i agree IGN is a better judge for gaming lists

    but TIME has been doing end of year top 10 lists for video games for several years

     

    Minecraft was their #1 choice last year (Skyrim was also in the list)

  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Dallas, TXPosts: 953Member Uncommon
    All things considered, Game of the Year awards are like good attendance records.

    "This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Sign In or Register to comment.