Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Dragon's Prophet: Can Runewaker Repeat its Success?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Runewalker, the creators of Runes of Magic, is now working with Sony Online Entertainment to bring a new game, Dragon's Prophet, to the world. In today's Free Zone column, we speculate as to whether or not Runewalker can 'hit another one out of the park'. Check it out before lending your voice to the conversation in the comments.

This former status, has contributed to my interest in Dragon's Prophet. The IP is new and thus unrelated, but it's from the same developer, Taiwan-based Runewaker. So, I wonder if the studio can follow up with a second success. As well, there's a personal factor. I simply happen to like the concept, which is based on taming the great creatures to accompany and aid you on your adventures. So, any title featuring this element tends to grab a bit more of my attention than average. 

Read more of Richard Aihoshi's The Free Zone: Can Runewaker Repeat its Success?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

It's too early to tell if Runewaker will make a great game but odds tend to favor them being successful. It will be a F2P title with a foothold in the world’s largest MMO market (where such a business model is more acceptable) and the ability to reach around the globe thanks to its partnership with SOE. They have a great features list with action combat, housing, and even pets. On the other hand pricing in the cash shop could be a bone of contention with SOE in the mix as shown by Planetside 2 and it is another fantasy title in an already saturated market. I am not so worried about competition as much as the title not being unique enough to stick out. I am slightly surprised they didn't try to make this ROM2 to benefit from the established name considering current circumstances.

I am wondering how well they will polish the title and optimize performance for release. Launch day will be big. I’m not so concerned over staying power as people are prone to pick up a F2P game again from time to time if it is solid between other new title releases.

The Asian market (not just China alone even if it is becoming the globe’s major player) is powerful and I am not sure how the Western World will deal with playing second fiddle in coming years and seeing the results on their PC, TV, and in their refrigerator. Its an issue that reaches further than just games into everything from consumer electronics to mass media. It’s easy to think we can continue in an self contained market catering only to our needs but that's not the way businesses work and money will drive what’s on tap for everyone.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I truthfully don't think RoM was ever that wonderfully popular. The only real reason that RoM had such hype was because sites like these hyped them up to be the "ultimate free to play game." Even though I've played F2P games that were by far way better than RoM. 

I do actually see this game doing very well though. F2P games don't usually let you build houses so that's sort of a plus. My only qualm is this totally looks like Pokemon accept all the Pokemon are dragons... Gotta catch em all!

Smile

• HaloheadHalohead Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Okay so is their name Runewalker or Runewaker?
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Halohead
    Okay so is their name Runewalker or Runewaker?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runewaker_Entertainment

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    If they monetize it like Runes of Magic it will not be popular.  People tire fast of expensive equipment upgrades to be competitive.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Never considered Runes of Magic a very good game.  It is basically a poor man's WoW.  I'd rather sub to WoW then play RoM any day of the week.  So...if it's different from RoM than yes, Dragon's Prophet has a chance to do well.  If it is similar at all, then probably not.
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    :/ sony is really dropping the quality bar by hooking up with trash

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    As a RoM player of a couple years now, I can say that it probably won't be anything groundbreaking except for the fact that it should be running off of a new base engine (hooray for less crashing). Runes of Magic is not a WoW knock-off unless you claim that Tesla is a Ford knock-off (Not a direct comparison, just some food for thought as to relationships if you haven't actually played RoM). Also, I haven't done the math, but I'm pretty sure end-game for Runes of Magic makes up more than enough to cover WoW's sub fees. I will definitely be moving to Dragon's Prophet if it proves itself a worthy upgrade and has a stable engine.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• asdasddsadsaasdasddsadsa Member Posts: 3
    You call the biggest p2w game a success?
  • bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I think RoM received such early coverage and success in the free to play space because everyone thought Frogster made it.

The sheer volume of people who thought it was a western made MMO enabled it to avoid the usual "Asian Grinder" moniker and bad press that every other asian MMO receives.