Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why PVP scares some people?

Comments

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by VendettaDFA

Sorry you overlooked one big reason. This is why I don't participate in forced PvP games of any sort and especially mmofps. HACKING SCUMBUCKETS.  If you place players in a situation where beating another person is a priority, they will cheat- cheat - and cheat some more.  I stopped playing CS back when it was in its infancy because a bunch of wallhacking honorless punks ruined the game.  To this day winning at any cost seems more important to the epeen generation than playing on a level ground.

Well said.  The one thing AI has going for it, it can't cheat, it can't break the rules, it can't use bots, it can't buy gold and get powerful weapons.  It just is.  The fact is, I don't give a damn about challenge, I think "accomplishment" in a game is childish, I play to have a good time, full stop.  I don't want to compete with anyone, I want to have fun.  That's why I'll take a game, like I did recently with Serious Sam Second Encounter, crank it up to Serious mode and put on godmode so I can't die.  Killing hordes of monsters is fun.  Dying isn't.  Swinging my e-peen around and acting like hot shit isn't.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• VendettaDFAVendettaDFA Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    [mod edit].

I find it amusing that wanting a level playing field and a fair fight equates to being a care bear, Sir you couldn't be more wrong. I played Quake Deathmatch,  QW Rocket Arena, UT, Halflife , Counterstrike ...etc. All of these were PvP and I was having a blast fairly. I ran a CS team that played a season in the CPL and made the playoffs. I built quake maps and duke 3d maps. I tossed it all aside because I will not participate in a hacked game with a bunch of babies who think hacking = being better.  I never even tried planetside 2 because I knew exactly what would occur .... [mod edit]

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    People dont hate pvp !! They hate bullies, campers, greifers, indescriminant attacks, ass hattary, random player kills, player farming......nn its by no means fear but hatred for pvp players in genral.

I beleive for a true pvp game you must have extreme death penalties and a good police system in the games mechanics to prevent retarded ass hattery by the pvp player najority that race to end game gear then spend the rest of their days killing noobs and not so well equipped players!!! I call you stat whores others call you gimps. Both are correct.
  • maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004

[horrendousness and blaah blah blah]

If the same flaws from the pvp fight are present in pve in very worst degree, so i necessarily come to the conclusion that isn't that flaws the main cause of the distaste of some people to the pvp, but the real possibility of to lose, to die or have much work.

And the conclusion is still wrong. It's two different objectives at play. It has nothing to do with fears or flaws or the real possibility of to lose, to die or have much work.

That post was specifically adressed only to people that say to avoid/hate pvp only because balance/fainess issues or because the pvp fight is crap. I showed that pve is far worst than pvp in these same aspects, therefore these aren't the real reasons to them avoid/hate pvp.

Actually, you showed nothing, because they are two different objectives. In PvE, the player is killing mobs to get to their goal. In PvP, killing the player is the goal. Presence of a similar mechanic (combat) between the two activities does not automatically make them the same activity, thus the reasons for playing and the perception of the challenges presented are not only distinctly different but incomparable.

Once you understand that we can then move forward with the conversation.

I almost totally agree, but in pvp (in the majority), people kill players to get others goals too. A minority of players do pvp just for fun, no caring to rewards, but the majority of pvp fights involves disputes of things in the OW or rewards like in BGs or guild/clan wars. So, in the 2 situations, people kill to achieve some others goals or rewards, however, the pvp is so more complex and fun than pve that some people will do it even without "reward". I dont know players that would butcher mobs without gaining anything just for fun. This can give you a clue about which fight is normally better by itself. :D

Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by TheIdealist
    Open world pvp is the best thing ever made for mmorpg's! Without open world pvp it's a little bit like a singleplayer game...

How is it a single players game when:

- you trade with others on AH?

- you group with others in dungeons?

- you show off your gear to others?

You don't need pvp at all for a MMORPG.

Since the only manner of interaction in most video games is to kill the other person, I can kind of understand why some people would have no idea that there are other possible ways for it to happen. They've probably never been exposed to it.

Most mmos that provide open pvp normally give more ways to the players do meaningful and lasting cooperations (Ex: a clan, alliance or guild).

Originally posted by killion81

Easiest way to explain is through analogy.  If I decide I want to play golf for a few hours and I get out to the course, am having a good time and suddenly someone runs up to me a forces me to play tennis, I'm not having fun anymore.  I don't want to play tennis.  If I did want to play tennis, I would go to the tennis courts, not the golf course.

For those that may need an explanation, PvE and PvP are different games.  It's acknowledged within the OP that they are fundamently different.  I equate golf to PvE, as it can be a single player game or a team based game.  You can compare score, but you are never really directly influencing the gameplay of anyone else.  Tennis is PvP because you are directly competing with someone and your actions are chosen to cause the opponent to lose.  If it was possible to be forced to play tennis while playing golf, I imagine golf would be a much less popular sport.

Just because someone doesn't want to play your game does not make you better than them.  It does not make them scared of you or your game.  It does not make you hardcore.  It does not make them a carebear.  If you want to be "hardcore" and do something competitive that people may be afraid of doing or may make people afraid of you, take up competitive fighting of some sort.  Video games are not the correct venue for you to accomplish what you seem to hope to accomplish.

This analogy can only be applied if you regard mmos as  "lobbies" or "clubs" where a bunch of players gather to play some e-sports or minigames at will. I regard mmos more as "virtual worlds" where there is dangers, war, political disputes, disputable resources, economics and social challenges.

I dont see sense, in a world, in recriminating a country, a realm, a feudal lord, faction or rogue groups by "forcing" war into us, i see them like dangers to be combated or avoided, a challenge.

• AxehandleAxehandle Member Posts: 147

Easiest way to explain is through analogy.  If I decide I want to play golf for a few hours and I get out to the course, am having a good time and suddenly someone runs up to me a forces me to play tennis, I'm not having fun anymore.  I don't want to play tennis.  If I did want to play tennis, I would go to the tennis courts, not the golf course.

For those that may need an explanation, PvE and PvP are different games.  It's acknowledged within the OP that they are fundamently different.  I equate golf to PvE, as it can be a single player game or a team based game.  You can compare score, but you are never really directly influencing the gameplay of anyone else.  Tennis is PvP because you are directly competing with someone and your actions are chosen to cause the opponent to lose.  If it was possible to be forced to play tennis while playing golf, I imagine golf would be a much less popular sport.

Just because someone doesn't want to play your game does not make you better than them.  It does not make them scared of you or your game.  It does not make you hardcore.  It does not make them a carebear.  If you want to be "hardcore" and do something competitive that people may be afraid of doing or may make people afraid of you, take up competitive fighting of some sort.  Video games are not the correct venue for you to accomplish what you seem to hope to accomplish.

This analogy can only be applied if you regard mmos as  "lobbies" or "clubs" where a bunch of players gather to play some e-sports or minigames at will. I regard mmos more as "virtual worlds" where there is dangers, war, political disputes, disputable resources, economics and social challenges.

I dont see sense, in a world, in recriminating a country, a realm, a feudal lord, faction or rogue groups by "forcing" war into us, i see them like dangers to be combated or avoided, a challenge.

Pvp terrifies me. The first time I saw another player charging at me in wow I shatt all over my keyboard and monitor. Needless to say I have a new monitor now, the keyboard is fine it smells like cabbage a bit but oh well.

The point is pixels can be frightening.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

You can see it how ever you want, but the fact remains that it's a game, just like golf or tennis.  It's a massive multiplayer online roleplaying GAME.  People play games for entertainment.  If you want to play a game that is more like a "dangerous virtual world", that's your choice.  I assume that is what entertains you.  However, your preference is no more valid than someone else's preference for a PvE oriented experience devoid of PvP.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

You can see it how ever you want, but the fact remains that it's a game, just like golf or tennis.  It's a massive multiplayer online roleplaying GAME.  People play games for entertainment.  If you want to play a game that is more like a "dangerous virtual world", that's your choice.  I assume that is what entertains you.  However, your preference is no more valid than someone else's preference for a PvE oriented experience devoid of PvP.

I agree more on the lines of the Virtual World side of the arguement. however i also see that having a living Virtual world is ruined almost everytime by the same type of people. a virtural world taken about half seriously to seriously can be fun, however you will have a large group of people who dont want to do this. The CoD age of gaming is full of gamers that say "i have a sword who can i put it in" FOM fell to this idea, Now that we have a HUGE casual following of gamers in the MMORPG genre (something UO and other Virtual Worlds didn't have to contend with) we get stuck with people who thinks Virtual World means, Open world Grand Theft Auto. We can all agree that this idea is not fun, try having a political discussion when somone randomly runs up behind both of you Shoots you tea bags and then spams your mailbox with "I PWN JUUU"

In short, Virtual worlds. Great Idea, Great in Practice, Ruined by New Age MMO Community.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• taziartaziar Member Posts: 52

There is one major detail you aren't considering.  People like competitive games, not pointless ones.  With PVE, you won't be in a 20-30 lvl zone fighting a mob and suddenly get insta-killed by lvl 80 mobs suddenly riding up to you (on horses magically faster than yours), who then proceed to corpse camp you.

World PVP is not about challenge, it is about ganking.  Very rarely is it ever a fair fight.  Even when a player is the same level, he will have grinded for far better gear and have brought his twenty closest friends who will mob you to death.  That is not hard-core, it is pathetic bully mentality.  PVP gankers are actually the ones who fear a challenge.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by taziar

There is one major detail you aren't considering.  People like competitive games, not pointless ones.  With PVE, you won't be in a 20-30 lvl zone fighting a mob and suddenly get insta-killed by lvl 80 mobs suddenly riding up to you (on horses magically faster than yours), who then proceed to corpse camp you.

World PVP is not about challenge, it is about ganking.  Very rarely is it ever a fair fight.  Even when a player is the same level, he will have grinded for far better gear and have brought his twenty closest friends who will mob you to death.  That is not hard-core, it is pathetic bully mentality.  PVP gankers are actually the ones who fear a challenge.

Brought that up awhile ago. but it is still a valid point.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• zombiecyborgzombiecyborg Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    In short, Virtual worlds. Great Idea, Great in Practice, Ruined by New Age MMO Community.

Eh, I don't necessarily agree. I've played MMOs off and on for the last decade, and I can say with definitiveness that the immature trolling type of individual has always existed. 

Some people play MMOs to RP and be immersed, some people play them to play a game with no additional meaning. Niether is particularly wrong, but one type is more likely to try and ruin the experience of the other, I suppose.

Back in the day a lot of old MMOs had RP-dedicated servers, but with MMOs being as big as they are now, that's not particularly feasible or wanted by most new games. 

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    Originally posted by Rayshe

I agree more on the lines of the Virtual World side of the arguement. however i also see that having a living Virtual world is ruined almost everytime by the same type of people. a virtural world taken about half seriously to seriously can be fun, however you will have a large group of people who dont want to do this. The CoD age of gaming is full of gamers that say "i have a sword who can i put it in" FOM fell to this idea, Now that we have a HUGE casual following of gamers in the MMORPG genre (something UO and other Virtual Worlds didn't have to contend with) we get stuck with people who thinks Virtual World means, Open world Grand Theft Auto. We can all agree that this idea is not fun, try having a political discussion when somone randomly runs up behind both of you Shoots you tea bags and then spams your mailbox with "I PWN JUUU"

I think you misjudge.  UO was plagued by exactly this sort of player.  The Devs there were continuously scrambling to fix exploitable aspects of the game, and eventually moved to a more controllable system because of this.   Those types of folks are drawn to games where it is easy to exploit and greif.   UO was the home of naked, knife weilding attackers, exploiting game loopholes, iirc.

Not to say that there aren't other problem children coming in from the CoD pieces, but the idea that this is some new activity is somewhat myopic.  It is a huge problem though.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

It should really be entirely obvious that full looting PvP is entirely incompatible with a truly successful MMO without a heavy-hitting and emminently workable consequences system.

Until that is invented - full loot MMOs will always be small-beer and popular only with the ganking crowd and/or niche gamers, and thus not attractive to game companies looking to actually make some serious profit.

Have you played Eve Online? It definitely has the consequences system.

As for my view on PvP, if done well I like it. The biggest issue though is that in most cases it isn't done well (in fact it sucks so much ass it needs special mouthwash to clean out the smell of shit), such as pretty much every themepark in existence. Those open PvP servers really are gank-fests with high level players blasting low level players out of existence, and since with that much level difference a whole squad of low level players wouldn't be able to  make a dent in the high level one even if he sat there with his thumb up his ass it really has no point.

Honestly the only MMO I've seen where I really like the PvP (and actively engage in it, including a couple of weeks ago :) ) is Eve. In there, a squad of week old players in the wimpiest little frigates you could find could in a matter of minutes drop a several-year veteran in a battleship with the strongest equipment in existence on it, as long as the proper tactics and preparations are used. I've seen a squad of guys in the free rookie frigates do just that. This frigate PvP is how I started winning PvP in Eve, though I had an excellent teacher who I still fly with today.

Where's the any key?

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Tried PvP in many games?

99% gank

Even in 6 vs 6 it's really 6 vs 1 X 2.

Alternatives end in stalemates. PvP people rage when you force a stale mate on them. They want the I-Win.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

It should really be entirely obvious that full looting PvP is entirely incompatible with a truly successful MMO without a heavy-hitting and emminently workable consequences system.

Until that is invented - full loot MMOs will always be small-beer and popular only with the ganking crowd and/or niche gamers, and thus not attractive to game companies looking to actually make some serious profit.

As for my view on PvP, if done well I like it. The biggest issue though is that in most cases it isn't done well (in fact it sucks so much ass it needs special mouthwash to clean out the smell of shit), such as pretty much every themepark in existence. Those open PvP servers really are gank-fests with high level players blasting low level players out of existence, and since with that much level difference a whole squad of low level players wouldn't be able to  make a dent in the high level one even if he sat there with his thumb up his ass it really has no point.

Honestly the only MMO I've seen where I really like the PvP (and actively engage in it, including a couple of weeks ago :) ) is Eve. In there, a squad of week old players in the wimpiest little frigates you could find could in a matter of minutes drop a several-year veteran in a battleship with the strongest equipment in existence on it, as long as the proper tactics and preparations are used. I've seen a squad of guys in the free rookie frigates do just that. This frigate PvP is how I started winning PvP in Eve, though I had an excellent teacher who I still fly with today.

I don't personally care for Eve, but your point is pretty accurate. 

I am holding out high hope for World of Darkness, as the dev team has had all that experiance, and the usual type of game asshats seem perfect for the Sabat anyway.   It somehow just seems appropriate to the story and environment.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

I don't personally care for Eve, but your point is pretty accurate. 

I am holding out high hope for World of Darkness, as the dev team has had all that experiance, and the usual type of game asshats seem perfect for the Sabat anyway.   It somehow just seems appropriate to the story and environment.

WoD is squared in my sights too, CCP has proved that despite occasional hiccups here and there, they really know what they're doing when it comes to making and supporting an MMO.

Where's the any key?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by maccarthur200

however, the pvp is so more complex and fun than pve...

For you. You still haven't wrapped your head around that part yet.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• anwaranwar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    For me, I'm simply getting too old.   I'm not fast enough anymore for 1 on 1 or small group PvP, I'm just irritated over all the jumping thru each other and twitch.   I'm better as a support charactor in Realm v Realm pvp and I'm still fairly good at strategy in PvE.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    PvP MMOs can be really fun and I've been playing one pretty exclusively the last two weeks when I have time. I don't want to play one all the time though, especially if it's fantasy. If an MMO offers a setting and reason for PvP then I think that's optimal. Even if it doesn't a reason that's okay though it to want longevity there should be.

The important part is that it doesn't need to be on in all places all the time, for me anyways. I have many reasons for enjoying fantasy MMOs and not every one of them needs to be about "real life risk/reward" while playing it.

OP, I'm sure you didn't intend for this thread to come across arrogant but it did. PvP games are just another ruleset within a game or wholly in a game. Preferring it does not make you better or more hardcore than anyone else. Again, you probably didn't mean to come across that way and I'm glad you enjoy PvP but that doesn't mean everyone needs to or is "less than" for it.

Quote the full sentence please. My quoted post and that big one that opened that sequence of quotes explain everything.

As YOU said, pve isn't made by killing mobs for fun, but killing mobs to obtain things, and my quoted phrase refers to the fight itself excluding the rewards.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Quote the full sentence please. My quoted post and that big one that opened that sequence of quotes explain everything.

As YOU said, pve isn't made by killing mobs for fun, but killing mobs to obtain things, and my quoted phrase refers to the fight itself excluding the rewards.

Your command of the English language seems to miraculously improve for certain posts. ;)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Your command of the English language seems to miraculously improve for certain posts. ;)

Do you mean something with this or are just praising? :D

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I think killing mobs, just for the sake of killing mobs, is very fun.  That's half the reason people play shooters, just to kill things.  They rarely ever get something special for each mob they kill, it's the joy of mowing down enemies that they want, not the rewards that they get for doing so.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

The fact is, PvP players fall roughly into two camps (and yes, I know many bridge it too) - the ones who enjoy the challenge and playstyle, and the ones who get a buzz from one-sided encounters, ganking and endless insults afterwards - the kinds of people who will try their hardest to utterly ruin the online experience of other people and then wail endlessly if any controls are put in place - guards, consequence systems, flags etc.

The OP does seem to empathise with the latter type of player. Seriously thinking that a desire to avoid the 'borstal playground' bahaviour of such PvP players is an issue of 'fear' is clearly ridiculous. To think it is a factor is more of an indication of the mindset of the person asking the question than it will ever be of those refered to.

You are completely wrong. Read my others posts and see for yourself if i like gankers or no. In one of these posts, i advocate a system where a high lv player has your lv automaticaly decreased when entering a lower lv zone.

Then you claim to fall squarely into the first of my definitions - 'the ones who enjoy the challenge and playstyle'?

You now appear to be contradicting your own thread title - perhaps you might want to change it now - to something less bias and dismissive perhaps?

It would seem to me that you have changed the tune somewhat after considering that you look a little extreme in your original point of view.

... but that of course is my opinion. It is possible you didn't intend to come off as the latter type of PvP'er - might I suggest less perjorative statements in future - labels on boxes are the shorthand of internet communication - and you appeared to be firmly squared away in Box B...

This discussion has been closed.