Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 voted top video game of 2012

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Yes time of all places voted GW2 #1 game of 2012.  Notice it doesn't say #1 MMO of 2012.  Tells you a little about just how good this game really is.

http://techland.time.com/2012/12/04/top-10-tech-lists/slide/guild-wars-2-pc/#/2012/12/04/top-10-tech-lists/slide/xenoblade-chronicles-wii/?&_suid=13546821605050845328618916812

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Seems to be the only MMO on the list as well. gj Anet!

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    preaching to the choir.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Also noted that they include Torchlight 2 and not Diablo 3. Very good call.
  • livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by evilastro

That put a smile on me :)

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I am VERY happy with this...

However, GW2 doesn NOT deserve the vote of top game of 2012... it's just so.. boring.  So few skills to use, barely any real end-game, and that fight with Zhaitan was laughable at best. The story in general is pretty bland, actually.

I liked that you could explore, find specific points of interest, do the "dynamic" events, pvp, whatever, and get xp towards your goal of 80th level, but PvP isn't very fun (WvW or SPvP), PvE isn't a ton different than the norm aside from everyone in the same area being able to do the quests with you without grouping.

Hm... I just really don't get the game. Period. Oh well, for me.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Woot for ANET, they deserve it.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Aviggin

I am VERY happy with this...

However, GW2 doesn NOT deserve the vote of top game of 2012... it's just so.. boring.  So few skills to use, barely any real end-game, and that fight with Zhaitan was laughable at best. The story in general is pretty bland, actually.

I liked that you could explore, find specific points of interest, do the "dynamic" events, pvp, whatever, and get xp towards your goal of 80th level, but PvP isn't very fun (WvW or SPvP), PvE isn't a ton different than the norm aside from everyone in the same area being able to do the quests with you without grouping.

Hm... I just really don't get the game. Period. Oh well, for me.

If your into deep meaningful endgame, GW2 doesnt have it but what it does have it does amazingly well.  Accolades like this only reinforce that.  just because the game isn't for you doesn't mean its not right for the hundreds of thousands who do enjoy it.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Top voted MMO is not really a surprise, while X-fire numbers are pretty suspicious at best games like TOR had fallen to almost nothing after 3 months while GW2 been at about half Wows numbers the last 2 months... That doesnt really prove much about GW2s actual numbers except that it does somewhere between okay and good but it is a good sign.

Also, all stores in my card have sold out their gemcards and my buddy who works in EB games say it is one of the topselling games.

However that it is the top game altogether is unexpected to me... I guess it have been a pretty bad year with lots of sequels because MMOs rarely win this price.

It is also surprising that Diablo 3 did so bad, there have been many complains but with the incredible large salesnumbers it had I would assume more people should have voted for it. Maybe it is because the initial technical problems it had.

Anyways, gratz to GW2 and the other games on the list.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Good list and gz Anet for the only mmo reaching that list and #1 makes it all the more epic for them.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Nice! It's nice to see an MMO get some love on a top games list.  I'm in the minority on this, but I thought D3 was way better than TL2.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    To be fair, there wasnt much competition this year, its the only game that I bought.
  • raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Yes time of all places voted GW2 #1 game of 2012.  Notice it doesn't say #1 MMO of 2012.  Tells you a little about just how good this game really is.

http://techland.time.com/2012/12/04/top-10-tech-lists/slide/guild-wars-2-pc/#/2012/12/04/top-10-tech-lists/slide/xenoblade-chronicles-wii/?&_suid=13546821605050845328618916812

And of course we all turn to time magazine for our gaming news....No in all fairness the only way this plays out is if the writer of the article actually plays GW2.

This reminds me of when you would get all those cooky stories about the teachers and such ranting about how great SWG was......Suuuuure.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Well deserved, and you can be sure that's not the only award they will get.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I am always amazed at the sudden appearance of these obscure websites that do gaming awards/surveys whatever, if it had been an actual game award from one of the various gaming magazines etc, i could sort of understand it, which btw, GW2 didnt win this year, its almost like, an award for the 'special kids' who entered all the competitions, but didnt actually win anything, so they invent an award just for them. well done.. image
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Phry
    I am always amazed at the sudden appearance of these obscure websites that do gaming awards/surveys whatever,

I wouldn't call Time magazine "obscure".

It's a well-deserved victory IMO. XCOM and Xenoblade are just as great, but they're all so different it's impossible to compare them fairly.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

I am always amazed at the sudden appearance of these obscure websites that do gaming awards/surveys whatever, if it had been an actual game award from one of the various gaming magazines etc, i could sort of understand it, which btw, GW2 didnt win this year, its almost like, an award for the 'special kids' who entered all the competitions, but didnt actually win anything, so they invent an award just for them. well done.. image

Althought not a "gaming" magazine, pretty sure TIME does well enough to not be obscure :P
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    No amount of awards can get away from how boring and depth lacking GW2 is. I give ArenaNet their due, i got a refund the other day after maxing out a toon to level 80 and buying the game nearly three months ago lol.

Got my monies worth and got a refund, good chaps at ArenaNet even if GW2 is poor.

Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    No amount of awards can get away from how boring and depth lacking GW2 is. I give ArenaNet their due, i got a refund the other day after maxing out a toon to level 80 and buying the game nearly three months ago lol. Got my monies worth and got a refund, good chaps at ArenaNet even if GW2 is poor.

[mod edit[]

Think you have me mixed up, I'v never mentioned a refund before.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Eluldor

Althought not a "gaming" magazine, pretty sure TIME does well enough to not be obscure :P

It is if you've never heard of it, im guessing its an american magazine maybe? tbh, don't have a scooby on that one. image

In the UK have The Times newspaper, but somehow i don't see them handling game awards etc, but they do have a really hard crossword if you have the time/patience.image

Originally posted by azzamasin

Yes time of all places voted GW2 #1 game of 2012.  Notice it doesn't say #1 MMO of 2012.  Tells you a little about just how good this game really is. http://techland.time.com/2012/12/04/top-10-tech-lists/slide/guild-wars-2-pc/#/2012/12/04/top-10-tech-lists/slide/xenoblade-chronicles-wii/?&_suid=13546821605050845328618916812

Didn't swtor get tons of awards but I guess that tells you just how good that game really is.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Tell me what other games released in 2012..... ya exactly. Thats like giving a trophy to a guy who won a race when he was the only runner.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Haha, grats to GW2. I do think that this is the best MMO to come out for several years, but that is looking at ToR, Rift, and releases of that nature. I think there are some problems with GW2 that require fixing, but it is overall a good game.

However, I think TL2 is the best purchase I made bucks for fun ratio-wise this year.

D3 was awful and I feel a little ambivalent still towards WoW's MoP.

I have not tried other new releases since the little gametime I have left is spent in either TL2 or an MMO.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by toddze
    Tell me what other games released in 2012..... ya exactly. Thats like giving a trophy to a guy who won a race when he was the only runner.

Time top 10 list

1. GW2
     2. Xenoblade Chronicles
     3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
     4. Dishonored
     5. Assassin’s Creed III
     6. Papo & Yo
     7. The Last Story
     8. LittleBigPlanet
     9. Halo 4
    10. Torchlight II

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Shocking. More evidence for the downfall of the gaming industry and the taste of gamers.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Shocking. More evidence for the downfall of the gaming industry and the taste of gamers.

Funny, I had the opposite reaction and analysis.