Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Expert MMORPGers help?

ChallengeChallenge Virginia Beach, VAPosts: 36Member

Hey guys,
I am looking for an MMORPG to play. I recently bought Asheron's Call 2, and was not impresssed. Basically, I will lay out everything I want in this RPG, and you can tell me which one(s) are right for me.

1.) I want mutliple races to choose from.
2.) I want multiple classes to choose from.
3.) I want it to be either Fantasy, or Sci-Fi
4.) Prefered 3-d graphics (AC2, SWG, AC, PS)
5.) I want it ti have A LOT of people playing it online. Asheron's Call 2 barley hit over 400 people in the most populated server.
6.) I want it to be a nice big world, lot's to do, people to interact with, a huge population, PvP zones (or whatever kind is in the game).
7.) I want good support, and not too pricy of a monthly fee ($12.95 is maximum).

I was leaning towards these: SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) Asherons Call 1 (AC2) Lineage 2 (L2), or Horizons (H?).

If you know of any better one's to sugguesti me to, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Challenge

"Alas, the beginings of things!"

Comments

• EmedeaEmedea Sparta, TNPosts: 14Member

Hi!

I think I have played almost every online game out there.  I can't seem to find one that grabs me anymore.  I also tried SWG, but the 10th or 12th time it wouldn't let me log on the the char I wanted and told me to choose another server, well that was the last straw.  Also it is full of bugs. image

Have you tried Everquest? High Fantasy.  It would fit most of your requests.  Maybe not the good support, but the only game I have found with good support, at least that I have played, is Anarchy Online.  Everquest would fit all the others except there isn't much pvp unless you are on a pvp server.  Those are tense, I tried one, but am not good at pvp.

Anarchy Online is super for everything you have listed.  Sci-Fi.  Good support and plenty of pvp if you want it.  But also the option to not pvp as well.

For heaven's sake stay away from any form of asheron's call.  Everquest with zero expansions is much more fun. 

Immortality is wasted on the young. - Alucard

• ChallengeChallenge Virginia Beach, VAPosts: 36Member

Thank Emedea,
    I think I'll try one of them. Do you have AIM or Yahoo so that if I do choose one of them we can hook up and play?

• FinweFinwe Fort Worth, TXPosts: 3,106Member

Boo! AC hater! AC1 was a great game. Dont bash AC1 when an ex-ACer is around. AC is one of those games that maybe wasnt the most popular, but everyone that played it for awhile loved it, then again, it was rather original, so i guess people just like cookie cutter UO and EQ clones. Then again, i'm sure you love DAoC, a game that is an EQ clone with no content. Got bored of that game after the free month.

Btw, as to the answer to your question, you should probably pick EQ and wait for lineage 2. Although imo, EQ is sort of for the hardcore gamer because of its horrid exp losses.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• GunharpGunharp Woodinville, WAPosts: 2,890Member

BAH the ac series is bad, i would suggest DAOC though it can get boring because it's huge and has RvR like PvP. But you should have done the following

LOOK AT THE SITE!!!!!!! theres this Game List on the top under the top add click on it and from there decide what mmorpg is best for you.....then again i take that DAOC back, you should just wait for one of the big new ones eq 2 and WoW. But you decide, also you need a good system to run most 3D mmorpg's especially SWG (which i would not suggest to get thats my opinion).

* hey emeada you've seen the Hellsing series? cause that is the best vampire anime ever, and Alucard is cool.

• ClownClown Horseheads, NYPosts: 71Member
    that's rather hypocritical of you finwe

• FinweFinwe Fort Worth, TXPosts: 3,106Member

"that's rather hypocritical of you finwe"

Not really, its true, DAoC had no content when i played, there was no hardly any real quest's....well....actually no real quests that i can think of....actually I dont even remember doing a quest. Anyhow, and it was obviously cloned after EQ. And the PvP sucked in it. I've found way more people that hated DAoC and its unoriginality and lack of content, then people that hated AC1. AC1 was a innovative and original game, that kept alot of people going for over 2 years, and it's still going rather well. Reason why not many people play it is, it had a bad marketing plan. But the skills were original, the races were original, the quest's were original, the whole leveling up system was original.

Personally, I figure it like this, DAoC has nothing really original, and EQ has 1000X more content then it, so why play DAoC? Unless your playin a game for just newer graphics.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• VindvalyaVindvalya New Haven, CTPosts: 115Member

for a newbie DAOC is much much much more user friendly then EQ.  It has more content then most give it credit for, and it is expanding all the time.  It is also centered around RvR(PvP).

The RvR adds a much different kind of content then anything in EQ. 

Problems with DAOC are that levelling 35+ sucks.  It gets really boring and takes forever.  You will need SI and probably TOA when it comes out to find a group consistantly.(you need a group 35+) This means a better graphics card then needed for the original. (with my old graphics card I could play original but not SI and TOA includes another graphics upgrade.)

It also means an investment in three games.  I am personally waiting for a new MMORPG, and looking in the bargain bin in the meantime.

no, you misunderstand me.

"Boo! AC hater! AC1 was a great game. Dont bash AC1 when an ex-ACer is around"

that is what I was reffering to, whether or not you were merely joking, I do not know.

I've never played AC1 nor Everquest so obviously i can not comment on the originality of DAoC. But i would venture to guess that i probably in fact enjoyed DAoC so much because i had not tried any of the other mmorpgs in the market at that time.

Originally posted by Vindvalya

It is also centered around RvR(PvP).

Well, for being centered around RvR it was a pretty foolish decision on Mythics part to hold off on the major RvR expansion (which was suppose to majorly fix class balances and the messed up resist system) until 2004 just so they can get ToA out the door quick. They fail to realise how highly people value RvR and PvP, many of the old timers had left after that decision was made.

• VindvalyaVindvalya New Haven, CTPosts: 115Member

Clown said

"Well, for being centered around RvR it was a pretty foolish decision on Mythics part to hold off on the major RvR expansion "

I agree that they should have done the RvR expansion first but I understand that they would want to get the expansion out the door before Christmas. 

but why? ToA will add some new zone and a new race for each realm, and an improved engine, adds nothing to gameplay. I just don't see why they continue to work on new content when the basic stuff is still out of sync image

• livelyclivelyc roswell, GAPosts: 110Member

Originally posted by Vindvalya

for a newbie DAOC is much much much more user friendly then EQ.  It has more content then most give it credit for, and it is expanding all the time.  It is also centered around RvR(PvP).
    The RvR adds a much different kind of content then anything in EQ. 
    Problems with DAOC are that levelling 35+ sucks.  It gets really boring and takes forever.  You will need SI and probably TOA when it comes out to find a group consistantly.(you need a group 35+) This means a better graphics card then needed for the original. (with my old graphics card I could play original but not SI and TOA includes another graphics upgrade.)
    It also means an investment in three games.  I am personally waiting for a new MMORPG, and looking in the bargain bin in the meantime.

yea eq isnt user friendly like daoc , but there is more to do i found . eq held my attention for 2 and a half years , daoc only held it for 2 months , i have horrible add so 2 and a half years is just ...well incredible , id recommend that or a new game like horizons comming out soon

This message has been brought to u by Death, the fulltime sponsor of the lively cadaver

This message has been brought to u by Death, the fulltime sponsor of the lively cadaver

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Eau Claire, WIPosts: 1,694Member

EverQuest is do for props yes.. but IT IS NO LONGER NEWB FRIENDLY.  All the new zones added took away the help that the newbs needed.  You dont find too many new people playing, the game actually looks deserted.

DAoC is friendly in that perspective as seeing that they still have the community flourising all over the game.

If you don't go for DAoC wait for one of the newer games to come out, that way your on the same par as the others.

Here are a list of games.

Anarchy Online
    DAoC
    EverQuest (No longer Newb Friendly)

and many... many.. more.

---------------------------------------
    You can't stop the bum rush
    www.mmorpg.com - staff

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• ShindouShindou alexandria, VAPosts: 23Member
    Get it right guys it EverCrack, cuz once you start it doesnt stop.  If you havent played EverCrack I recommend you dont start now, not to mention EQ II coming out soon, but knowing SOE it will still be a beta game not rdy for release but hey why not make us pay to play cuz you know you will, dam them and their corporate tactics.

• GunharpGunharp Woodinville, WAPosts: 2,890Member

• herculeshercules lancashire,blackpoolPosts: 4,788Member Uncommon

1)multiple races- everquest has more races then any other mmrpg out there.DAoC comes second.AO does not really have any really definded race just a variety of humans really.SWG joint second  for number of races to DAoC.

2)multiple class-SWG has probabaly atm the most classes.Second would be everquest.third DAoC.There is a game called rubies of eventide that is suppose to have about 30 classes but it has like 100 ppl at peak time on it and half the classes are bugged.

3)fanatasy-EQ,DAoC recommended.sci fi=AO or SWG

4)3D- all pay to play are 3D

5)lots of people- SWG if you can get in  and live with actually overcrowding.EQ has always a good crowd on and no server overpopulation  to the point you can't log on.DAoC always has a lot of people on too

6)Big world- key word should be big world with content.Shadowbane for example has a relatively large world that is barren and empty.EQ world is HUGE and each zone is filled with quest and content  and different landscape with different type of monsters.So EQ is the champ here for sure.

7)good suport.welcome to the world of pay to play mmrpg.They make millions and hire a few underpaid game masters.So all seems to be crappy here.Few like rubies of eventide have good support because they never have more then 100 players at a time to deal with at a time on their only 1 server.

So once they get to DAoC or EQ size in number of customers they all turn to crap.AO probabaly best in terms of customers number to service ratio.

Overall I would say everquest or DAoC is for you.EQ if you got loads of time,DAoC if you got less of it.

• EmedeaEmedea Sparta, TNPosts: 14Member
    Gunblade, I love Hellsing.  I have the whole series and am eagerly awaiting December when Dark Horse Comics is going to pick up the comic.  Alucard is  THE MAN. image  That has to be the coolest vampire show of any kind that I have ever seen!

• sectonsecton New york, NYPosts: 80Member
    Originally posted by Challenge

Hey guys,
    I am looking for an MMORPG to play. I recently bought Asheron's Call 2, and was not impresssed. Basically, I will lay out everything I want in this RPG, and you can tell me which one(s) are right for me.

5.) I want it ti have A LOT of people playing it online. Asheron's Call 2 barley hit over 400 people in the most populated server.
    6.) I want it to be a nice big world, lot's to do, people to interact with, a huge population, PvP zones (or whatever kind is in the game).
    7.) I want good support, and not too pricy of a monthly fee ($12.95 is maximum).

I was leaning towards these: SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) Asherons Call 1 (AC2) Lineage 2 (L2), or Horizons (H?).

Thanks,
    -Challenge

SWG was shut down idiot.

mmm pizza

• StonesDKStonesDK SomewherePosts: 1,805Member
  • DraronDraron A town in, KYPosts: 993Member
    Originally posted by secton
    Originally posted by Challenge IN 2003

Hey guys,

Thanks,
    -Challenge

SWG was shut down idiot.

lol