Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confused by the hype

Comments

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Onomas

Hope I am wrong, anyone that knows me knows I LOVE SANDBOXES. But just not enough details yet.

Do you prefer sandboxes or PvP games? Because DF1 was much closer to the latter and given the lack of coverage I fear the same will be true for DFUW. Not to say that PvP games are bad (as I did play DF for a little under 2 years) but by the way things were implemented, it surely didn't play like a sandbox for me (and I love sandboxes as well).

• mikethkmikethk Member Posts: 105

I followed all the making of DFUW.

Its a new game... Its literally DF 2.0 a recreation of DF 1.0

If you like the idea about mass combat, ships, fishing with boats, sieges, PVP, PVE, no instanced world, then you should gief it a try. Cause im pretty sure, it will be damn hard to find something that will do the job better than DFUW.

We know there system worked..... Now its polished. The combat is simplyfied, the map is made more perfect to fit PVP and PVE. Hamlets gief more reasons now......

Dont be so afraid. Try believe...... You cant reargue that DF have a nice engine going.... The system is working. DF 1.0 worked, but missed simplicity. We have that now. It is DF 1.0 but in a VERY polished version. A recreation.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Will it be everyones cup of tea and the saviour of MMO's as whole? No.

Will it still be a good game for those into the PvP focused sandbox genre? Yes.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Callidor

As a huge fan of Shadowbane, Im dying for a good team based pvp game, however Im hesitant to invest in DFUW. I unfortunately listened to some of the hardcore fans and tried DF shortly after release in NA, and it was crushingly disappointing to me. There was so much hype and it they ended up delivering maybe half of what was listed on their webiste. So here we are again, only now the economy is worse, the MMO genre seems stagnant and now they want a second chance on a niche game? I just dont see it.

Even its most staunch defenders, like DarthRaiden have turned, and that makes me even more suspicious on whether or not this is going to be worth the purchase price. Im certainly not going to be fooled a second time with the bait and switch routine, and im curious given all the hate about DF why everyones so quick to jump on board again.

Seriously, give me some guarantee its not going to be as disasterous as DF1

Well if you brought DF1 then you dont need to buy DF:UW all you need to do is pay a months sub to get access so not the end of the world.

I realyl enjoyed the origional Darkfall and in truth I think DF:UW is gonig to be basically the same game just with a few changes here and there.

What where the main things you didnt like about DF 1.0?

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Uhh, Darkfall launched with just about everything they said it would. Only thing I can think of that it didn't have was the skill cap.
  • DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by corpusc

you are gonna let DarthRaiden influence you?

its not obvious he was one of the most unbalanced posters both before AND after his flipflop stance on DF?

It isn't me who doing flip flops.

Who did declare war on Ed Zitron back in 2009  but now accept all the unneeded stuff eddi boy complained about and Tasos and AV rushed to add to game pleasing him and hislikes despite there have been more important things and better solutions and direction to take for all the  potential  original DF  had?

Its clearly not me ...

I am not the one who claims how different the game is from DF1 and how "new" it is and applaud it in the same time...

The good thing is this time Eddi boy will find his greatsword and will equip it and connect  hits on you and own you in UW if you got the wrong role and he choose the right one by accident...

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

you are gonna let DarthRaiden influence you?

its not obvious he was one of the most unbalanced posters both before AND after his flipflop stance on DF?

Who did declare war on Ed Zitron back in 2009  but now accept all the unneeded stuff eddi boy complained about and Tasos and AV rushed to add to game pleasing him and hislikes despite there have been more important things and better solutions and direction to take for all the  potential  original DF  had?

Its clearly not me ...

I am not the one who claims how different the game is from DF1 and how "new" it is and applaud it in the same time...

The good thing is this time Eddi boy will find his greatsword and will equip it and connect  hits on you and own you in UW if you got the wrong role and he choose the right one by accident...

Are you saying the PvP in DFUW is basically paper rock scissors?

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    I played Darkfall from NA launch until a few months prior to its shtdown for UW, and even with all the issue's from the beginning it was still the best MMO imo to date.

Free aim, Full loot...player skill based pvp instead of Tab target, player cities/hamlets, player/small clan housing (keeps), Massive siege battles, asset destruction, mounted combat, decent crafting, resource gathering and so on.

Now if any of the above doesn't interest you then stay away from Darkfall UW :P, i mean people play darkfall because it offers what no other MMO offers or has done well, most of the vets from 1.0 put up with the issue's because of how fun the game was, nothing can compare to Darkfall's high and low moments, the pvp is always a rush.

I feel a majority of gamers that dislike Darkfall are the ones who care too much about their in game bank status, people that love to horde items and never risk losing them, but thats the fun in Darkfall, you take a risk.

BTW TS, please elaborate on what issues made you choose to quit, many of them were fixed in 1.0, and im not sure what they didn't deliver on, please be specific if you can, i will offer and advice i can. Would hate to see a pvp fan miss out on DFUW due to bad impressions from 1.0 Launch.
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

you are gonna let DarthRaiden influence you? its not obvious he was one of the most unbalanced posters both before AND after his flipflop stance on DF?  

Its clearly not me ...

Im clearly missing your point lol.
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Uhh, Darkfall launched with just about everything they said it would. Only thing I can think of that it didn't have was the skill cap.

There was alot missing, but they added it in shortly after, (3-6months), many features AV has described during the development and beta never made it in.

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Just like swotor, tsw and gw2, darkfall is going to fix everything!
  • king0fmarsking0fmars Member Posts: 43
    Darkfall 1 wasn't the best game but if you were looking for something specific it had the potential to be someones favorite game. It was certainly worth the purchase price to try darkfall and see if it was for you. The same is obviously true for darkfall unholy wars but if you bought darkfall 1 you get UW for free.
    Originally posted by kikoodutroa8

one of these games, is not like the others

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Loke666

I also find the hype somewhat odd. Not that DF was that bad but the game was hyped before release and still only managed to get a rather small but faithfull playerbase.

Even if they manage to get 5 times the original players it would still be a rather small nichegame compared to most other MMOs so the level of the hype seems strangely high to me.

I understand why DFs hype was so large before, they had an rather impressive list of features they planned to add when they first showed us the game but most of those features got scrapped during development, sometimes are stuff impossible to implement no matter how cool the sound on paper, and sometimes do some things sound really fun but isnt. Most people here quit the game pretty fast as I remember even if the hardcore fans were really hardcore.

So nothing against DF:UW but I just dont see it reaching 100K players no matter what they do, it seems just too niched.

Or maybe you guys just know something I missed...

The game sold enough for them to hire more devs, upgrade offices, pay down loans, get investors, and relanch the game with completely new systems, better graphics, and upgraded technology. I'm pretty sure DFO sold at least 100k. Hell, EU launch had at least 50k people. 

The reason there is hype is because there isn't anything good coming out any time soon, DF:UW offers the only viable full loot FFA PvP game, its the only sandbox game being launched, and it LOOKS GOOD!

Note to the people who think DFO is paper rock sisscors: its not really. Looking at the roles, each role has its strength and weaknesses, and each role has a way to counter the strengths of every other role (from the looks of it). For it to be rock paper sisscors, you wouldn't be able to counter paper with rock.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• KaminaxiusKaminaxius Member UncommonPosts: 104

darkfall has nothing in common with the 3 games above.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by Kaminaxius

liar, they are all 3d-games

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Well I actually really enjoyed DF.  At first it was off putting, and the company was horrible in terms of communication, but if you let yourself fall into the experience it had a lot to offer.

MMORPG's these days are all the same.  They are flat out boring, old, and uninspired.  If you don't agree with this opinion then you are probably better off in one of those highly polished, hundred million plus dollar games.  If you do agree then you want something different, a different take, a non instanced world where players aren't seperated by thousands and thousands of instances, a more harsh world, one you can explore and make your own adventures in.

Darkfall offers a lot of this.  All this is, is a huge bug fix, and what they wanted Darkfall to be in the first place.  They launched because they had to for funding, they barely made it, they had to rush to add features that compounded a faulty client.  Now they are in a place where they can do it right and I won't hold that against them. 

Bottom line is if you hated Darkfall you aren't going to like this.  It is the same game with some game system tweaks, a few graphics upgrades, a new UI, and a number of game system updates to address the negative things from the first go around.  If you hated the first week you will still hate it. 

If you give it time and you aren't already so infected with the crap formula that is MMO's these days then you might find a gem of a gaming experience.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Niburu

They only had hype in common anyway, and none of them were the 'fix' that people were looking for, somehow i doubt DFUW is either, but its still early days and while the 'world' of DF looks pretty good, i havent seen enough gameplay yet to say whether or not the game is actually going to be an improvement on DF1 or not, and im certianly not going to be falling for the hype surrounding the game anytime soon. btw, calling him a liar because their 3d games, puerile, their all MMO's however, although giving SW;TOR and GW2 the benefit of the doubt on that, come to think of it, TSW too, maybe they have something in common after all image

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by Callidor

As a huge fan of Shadowbane, Im dying for a good team based pvp game, however Im hesitant to invest in DFUW. I unfortunately listened to some of the hardcore fans and tried DF shortly after release in NA, and it was crushingly disappointing to me. There was so much hype and it they ended up delivering maybe half of what was listed on their webiste. So here we are again, only now the economy is worse, the MMO genre seems stagnant and now they want a second chance on a niche game? I just dont see it.

Even its most staunch defenders, like DarthRaiden have turned, and that makes me even more suspicious on whether or not this is going to be worth the purchase price. Im certainly not going to be fooled a second time with the bait and switch routine, and im curious given all the hate about DF why everyones so quick to jump on board again.

Seriously, give me some guarantee its not going to be as disasterous as DF1

No guarantee's here... either u gonna try it...or u gonna pass it...simple as that... u are not more special than any other so u gonna try it.pass or wait to see from others. noone can tell either way since the game is not even released...

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281

DFUW has the priviledge of being pretty much the only recent open-PvP, full-loot, twitch based sandbox game out there.

If that is what you want, you will play DFUW.  Period.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• stonyleinstonylein Member UncommonPosts: 88
    id say if the first darkfall was rubbish to you, you wont get very exited about unholy wars either. hardcore team-based ffa pvp with full loot and friendly fire and massive siege warfare and ship battles is not everyones thing.
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Niburu

They only had hype in common anyway, and none of them were the 'fix' that people were looking for, somehow i doubt DFUW is either, but its still early days and while the 'world' of DF looks pretty good, i havent seen enough gameplay yet to say whether or not the game is actually going to be an improvement on DF1 or not, and im certianly not going to be falling for the hype surrounding the game anytime soon. btw, calling him a liar because their 3d games, puerile, their all MMO's however, although giving SW;TOR and GW2 the benefit of the doubt on that, come to think of it, TSW too, maybe they have something in common after all image

its called sarcasm

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

It's hyped because a lot of people want a game like DF1, only better in certain aspects. There are no other new games like that on the market currently. Not very strange.

Actually I don't see the problem here: you either buy the game or you don't. You'll either like it or you won't. It's only a game after all, so what do you have to lose?

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

If there is one given amongst the MMORPG.com crowd, it is that the only good game is the one that hasn't been released yet.

It is only in the state of in potentia that the nerdvana of the imagined perfect game can be found.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by stonylein
    id say if the first darkfall was rubbish to you, you wont get very exited about unholy wars either. hardcore team-based ffa pvp with full loot and friendly fire and massive siege warfare and ship battles is not everyones thing.

I agree.

And on top of that, DF was programmed VERY poorly.

So if this game is "niche" and ends up being very badly coded, I see very little reason to hype this game at all.