Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is not a "new" game....

2»

Comments

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Let's state this right - HARDCORE PvP'ers (gankmeisters) are tired of the same ol'/ WHy? because games recently try to balance PvE and PvP rather than just PvP.  Played the original DF and it was such a poorly thoughtout and designed game that nothing but totally redoing the game could fix.  I doubt they spent the time on that.

Those people bored of the current "same ol'", well they come from a cross spectrum of play styles. As do the people quite happy with the current mainstream games.

The people interested in the DF concept, well no they are not all "gankmeisters".

People are clearly interested in the concept and are clearly interested in the mechanical changes being made. Whether the product actually manages to meet expectations is another matter.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

If they plan to aim for the general gaming audience and not just the niche, they will really need to do two things:

* crack down early on cheaters

Nothing kills a competitive game more than the perception it is overrun with hackers, exploiters and cheaters.  Like it or not, DF got a reputation as a game that didn't police itself.

* start modding their game forums better  

A lot of people when they start a new game go to the forums for first questions.  And that is where first impressions are often made of the game community they are about to join.

The old DF forums were a cesspool.  I am sure it was a minority of the players, but they ran rampant and made it their playpen with all sorts of profanity, slurs and nonsense.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Well we will see the outcome and the direction they are taking the game in a little over a week.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

I'm a big PvP'er, I have many games on my desktop that I just play for PvP alone. DF was one of them. I'm not saying I played it all the time for a year, but I did have it installed for a year.

I just don't get the hype being so high for this game. DF didn't have that much hype. Just very shocked that this game outhypes every other new game coming. I just don't understand where it's all coming from. What is getting peoples attention this time around?

Have you seen the design/quality of recent MMO's delivered to us for the past 8 years or so?  People are just so very tired of playing the "same ole thing" they're desperate to try anything else, in the hopes of a new/more interesting experience.

I'm a great example, I suck at PVP, dislike full loot PVP yet I'll be playing DF:UW because even with those two issues I mentioned it still might provide more entertainment than I got from 3 other titles in the past year.

Good enough for me.......

Let's state this right - HARDCORE PvP'ers (gankmeisters) are tired of the same ol'/ WHy? because games recently try to balance PvE and PvP rather than just PvP.  Played the original DF and it was such a poorly thoughtout and designed game that nothing but totally redoing the game could fix.  I doubt they spent the time on that.

they did  redo the game

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

It is at best an expansion.

They aren't selling it again to people who bought Darkfall.  So it is an expansion not a seperate game.

They are, however, marketing it as a new game for purchase to people who have never played Darkfall.  This is misleading.

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

They aren't selling it again to people who bought Darkfall.  So it is an expansion not a seperate game.

They are, however, marketing it as a new game for purchase to people who have never played Darkfall.  This is misleading.

Will people from Darkfall be able to carry over their toons to UW? No.

Do people need the original to play UW without losing any other content? No.

Will everyone start on an even playfield on launch day? Yes.

I never played Darkfall and consider it a new game, it looks, acts, sounds different. Nothing misleading about it.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

They did a very brave thing taking their game offline to put some hard work into it. I applaud them for it.

The videos they have made make the game seem to look much better aswell and more appealing to a wider audience.

And yes imo it is a relaunch as the guy up says... full character wipe.

Originally posted by D_TOX

I never played Darkfall and consider it a new game, it looks, acts, sounds different. Nothing misleading about it.

I'm reminded of a few other games that had a relaunch.  You know the whole wipe the characters, change the name, fix bugs, start fresh kind.  They were the same game really, and their failed attempt at financial success didn't lead to dev riches through the magic of a do-over.

Maybe some form of Darkfall will break the trend though.

Originally posted by D_TOX

I'm reminded of a few other games that had a relaunch.  You know the whole wipe the characters, change the name, fix bugs, start fresh kind.  They were the same game really, and their failed attempt at financial success didn't lead to dev riches through the magic of a do-over.

Maybe some form of Darkfall will break the trend though.

Thats the thing though they arent doing this for magical riches it was a niche game anyway and the company seem to be surviving nice enough. Infact tasos went against what the whole market seems to be running towards in his interview IE instancing.

Let me ask this.

If the developers needed to fix bugs, required character wipes, added a few features, and wanted a name change... do they need to call it a new game to do this?

Or could they just do that and call it a relaunch?

Is it just marketing?

In any event, based on the hype surrounding this... thing that's coming soon, I'd say their marketing team is the most competent part of the studio.

Let me ask this.

If the developers needed to fix bugs, required character wipes, added a few features, and wanted a name change... do they need to call it a new game to do this?

Or could they just do that and call it a relaunch?

Is it just marketing?

In any event, based on the hype surrounding this... thing that's coming soon, I'd say their marketing team is the most competent part of the studio.

Excuse me if you think I am wrong but I have yet to come across a piece of marketing hype for DF.  At best what I have done is talk to a friend who used to play the game and is about to again, I didnt even know it was relaunching next week.  Yes I watched Taso's interview as well but there was more content in what he was saying than any of the interviews leading up to the launch of planetside 2.

One last thing.

If I were making a new game, I wouldn't start making my game by looking at a different game and deciding to fix that other games bugs.

I'd make a new game instead.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

It's not really.

Square Enix are doing the same thing for FF:ARR (FFXIV 2.0). Because FFXIV 1.0 turned out to be quite disappointing, players who had already bought the game won't have to buy the new game (FF:ARR remade entirely from scratch using a new engine). It's a way to "apologize" to the players that purchased the game and ended up being badly disappointed, as well as to invite them to give the game another shot. It's still a completely new game that will be sold to future customers, but selling it to the people who supported them initially from the box sales as well as the subscriptions would be like shooting themselves in the foot.

I imagine DF2.0 is the same... without the apologizing part.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

One last thing.

If I were making a new game, I wouldn't start making my game by looking at a different game and deciding to fix that other games bugs.

I'd make a new game instead.

You would if you were making a sequel. Derp.

Virtually every aspect of the game has been changed. No expansion does that.

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148

No it's a separate game, reworked engine, reworked UI, reworked more or less how the entire game is played with introduced role systems, introduced momentum and other changes to combat, adding/changing a ton of new skills and spells and updated graphics along other features. More is new than what we see in most sequels these days.. AV giving it for free to all those who purchased the old DF is simply a very generous move on their part.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Serignuad
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Werent they overhauling that game or something a few months back? Or did that fall through? I tried playing it about a year ago and it was just horrible. I like the concept but the way they executed everything was just bad, almost to the point of unplayable. I couldnt get through the free trial the game was lacking in so many areas that I gave up.

And here AV is doing exactly what you hoped for when you wrote this in a post about Mortal Online.

Seems like a double-standard to me.

DF-1 might not have been the right game for a lot of people (but it was very playable, unlike MO) and DF-UW might in the end not be the right game for a lot of people... but I personally give AV hell-a-lot of credit for believing in their game and doing this no matter the eventual outcome.

I'm going to try out DF 2.0, I have no game atm so I'll give it a shot and see how they did remakeing it. I'm interested in the game but everything I said is true. They are delaying it already, they didnt get everything in the build and are releasing it unfinished, promising to add everything but who knows how long that  will take or if they will ever.

I'll give them credit if they can put out a good product that I feel is worth my money, not for just believing in it.

DF 1 was horrible, I could careless about the few hundred people that thought it was good and playable, to me it was not good enough to waste my time on. I would of liked to see Mortal Online reworked, to me they seemed to have a more balanced game instead of just focusing on PvP only. Maybe one of these Indie companies making some other sandbox games can get something like this out soon. You have your opinions and I have mine, taste is always going to be different. What, I can't like other games if you don't like them? I also played GW2 and am looking forward to ESO because I think they are going to do 3 faction pvp better than 3 server pvp, is that a double standard too?