Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long...

Comments

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by grimal

This whole thread reminds me of when LOTRO first came out.

I was and still am a supporter of that game.  To me, if offered the near perfect themepark design at the time.

Yet, people all over these boards in particular were calling it a boring WoW clone, lackluster, boring combat mechanics, soulless, etc (basically the exact same arguments people are using here).

It's funny how that tune has changed.

I'll go on record and say it now.  SWTOR, for me, offers the best themepark experience out there right now,  It uses the standard themepark model (some can't get past this), adds a great story, modern graphics, top production values and is set in the Star Wars universe.

I never expected it to be anything other than a story-driven themepark MMO.

If it lasts as long as LOTRO does (and I think it will), it will be funny to revisit this thread.

The difference with LOTRO is that they updated the game with extra content, and added in player housing, skirmishes to recently mounted combat.

They have also released many FULL expansions

EA/Bioware have done virtually NOTHING to SWTOR. SWTOR has been left to go stale, LOTRO was not.

How are you comparing a game with years under it's belt to one that isn't even a year old?!?!?

Especially when talking about the processes to f2p.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by raistlinm

I was and still am a supporter of that game.  To me, if offered the near perfect themepark design at the time.

Yet, people all over these boards in particular were calling it a boring WoW clone, lackluster, boring combat mechanics, soulless, etc (basically the exact same arguments people are using here).

I'll go on record and say it now.  SWTOR, for me, offers the best themepark experience out there right now,  It uses the standard themepark model (some can't get past this), adds a great story, modern graphics, top production values and is set in the Star Wars universe.

If it lasts as long as LOTRO does (and I think it will), it will be funny to revisit this thread.

The difference with LOTRO is that they updated the game with extra content, and added in player housing, skirmishes to recently mounted combat.

EA/Bioware have done virtually NOTHING to SWTOR. SWTOR has been left to go stale, LOTRO was not.

How are you comparing a game with years under it's belt to one that isn't even a year old?!?!?

A lot of content was added within LOTRO first year, including housing, and an expansion was known. Same with SWG - they added player cities, mounts, vehicles and JTL was known from release.

Originally posted by OgreRaper
    Considering that games like Warhammer Online are still around, I think SW:TOR will last a long time

(time to post it again then) That does not require 500k subs to break even.

Aug 1st 2012

The President of EA Labels Frank Gibeau said the Star Wars game would still break even so long as it maintained 500,000 subscribers, but admitted that its current performance was "not good enough".

If SWTOR can get 500K subs (which includes what people spend in the cash shop) then it will most certainly survive. SWTOR is unique and cost loads to make, and costs loads to run, more so than any other MMO, so who knows how long it will last, but EA/Bioware are certainly not doing or saying much to encourage confidence in its survival.

If I was to say WOW or Rift or TSW will be shut down in the next year or two, or even Vanguard, then that would be hateful, as none are showing any signs of shutting down. However SWTOR has plenty of signs suggesting it might, and those signs are coming from EA/Bioware, and letting the game go stale, plus what they keep saying.

I bet even you will not worry if it shuts down next year, as that is plenty of time to get 500% out of the game.

Other MMOs evolve and expand so there is always something new to do, and even when COH and SWG shut down I still did not get to do everything I wanted to do that SWG offered.

A lot of content was added within LOTRO first year, including housing, and an expansion was known. Same with SWG - they added player cities, mounts, vehicles and JTL was known from release.

Do you even play SWTOR because if you did you would be aware they are constantly launching new content in the forms of instances etc plans for a new race in the pipe as well.

now if you want to make this point do us a favor and show us the list of what LOTRO released in it's first year and compare it to what SWTOR has released in it's first year.

As a player of both games from launch I certainly have not gotten the feeling that SWTOR is behind the pace that Turbine set.

And SWG had many of those features released in year one because many of them should have been/were thought to be there at launch but of course SOE crafted a game they had no control of the code on so I'm not giving them points for that.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

As LOTRO Founder with lifetime sub and SWTOR current player I agree with you.

I wish LOTRO changed character customization and animation I would probably play it as my second MMO, but after playing SWTOR, no game really can draw me... SWTOR spoils you...

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I wish LOTRO changed character customization and animation I would probably play it as my second MMO, but after playing SWTOR, no game really can draw me... SWTOR spoils you...

Agreed 100% with both of you and glad to see I'm not alone lol

Do you even play SWTOR because if you did you would be aware they are constantly launching new content in the forms of instances etc plans for a new race in the pipe as well.

now if you want to make this point do us a favor and show us the list of what LOTRO released in it's first year and compare it to what SWTOR has released in it's first year.

As a player of both games from launch I certainly have not gotten the feeling that SWTOR is behind the pace that Turbine set.

And SWG had many of those features released in year one because many of them should have been/were thought to be there at launch but of course SOE crafted a game they had no control of the code on so I'm not giving them points for that.

I can not renmember that long ago, for LOTRO but without updates would not have kept playing it, and nor would any one else

I do remeber they kept adding in the book updates, and had to download them and patch them weirdly, but SWTOR has had no improvements, like player housing.

SWTOR had one little tiny smll miniscule content patch 1 month after launch, then nothing until about Sep which was tiny too, and a lot of it should have been there from the start too, so if you are not taking points for stuff that should have been there at launch, then SWTOR has had nothing

Do you want keeps players playing more so? Extra content or F2P or merges? Answer is more content. But EA went for merges and then F2P, as they had nothing.

If the SWTOR had plenty of content then it would not have lost 75% of its playerbase.  LOTRO did not lose that many that fast

Lets compare "State of the game" reports between SWTOR and STO

SWTOR: http://www.swtor.com/blog/star-wars-old-republic-%E2%80%93-state-game

STO: http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=739981

Cryptic shows plenty of stuff coming with STO, but EA show virtually nothing with SWTOR

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Without making another wall of quotes within quotes:

It's one thing to say that hopefully the cash shop will give Bioware enough new revenue to start producing content again.

It's entirely another thing to start listing off a litany of games that are either in maintenance mode and/or contractually obligated to stay open as proof that SWTOR will be around, producing new content, for years.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I wonder if Disney has considered buying out EA? I am aware that EA is not a perfect fit for their typical acquisition portfolio but there is some common market interest there.

I honestly don’t know what SWTOR’s future holds and in my mind Disney is now in the driver’s seat. I think a lot has to do with how they want to re-launch the SW franchise with the coming movies. I am waiting to see how SWTOR adapts to the new movies and other upcoming franchise media as it could be seen as a market clone or unwanted distraction from the real product. Will it sell out (or be forced to) on the Old Republic setting in order to be used as a marketing tool for the new era materials? It's going to be an oddball game in Disney's typical multilayered marketing strategy for an IP in that they do not like to divide focus. You can see it in how they handle the Marvel Comics movies just for example and are linking them together into one franchise.

Or will they just make a new game leaving SWTOR on the back burner as an unsupported money grab until it dries up? Success now, this month, with F2P doesn't mean the future is bright any more than the huge launch numbers did. Doesn't mean it's dark either but you can bet changes are brewing long term (ie the next 2 years.)

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Agreed 100% with both of you and glad to see I'm not alone lol

Yep. My two favorite themeparks.  I'm a LOTRO founder and lifer as well.

If TOR offered a lifetime sub, I'd grab it immediately.  As it is, I've already been playing for a full year now and am still enjoying it.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

SWTOR doesn't have great character customization options IMO, it lacks farther variety, at least it isn't like PS2 character creation though.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

I'd trade modern graphics in swtor for more variety options and freedom......

I think swtor's modern graphics restrict the freedom.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Jonoku

SWTOR doesn't have great character customization options IMO, it lacks farther variety, at least it isn't like PS2 character creation though.

I agree.  If they could add more customizations or overhaul it....

Originally posted by Jonoku

I agree.  If they could add more customizations or overhaul it....

I agree that character customization could be better, but... I was able to create characters which I absolutely adore and I love how they look.

Aion and AoC had great customization, and I spent hours on customization and I did not like it. LOTRO has horrible customization, Rift meh, tried STO - meh. So despite limitations, I much prefer limited options with characters that looks I love, than unlimited options that just give you seemingly unlimited choices but your final product is... just meh.

Edit: Ok I know what makes SWTOR customization different... EYES... especially males... they actually have these little movements of iris that make you feel that character is alive...

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Agreed.

Originally posted by Draron

Agreed.

Disagree because Bioware are not adding content in a professional manner like Turbine did.

Bioware have given up, and faffing around with the cash shop now, putting little trinkets up for sale as content.

When they start adding more class story, housing, mount/vehicle combat then it will start becoming progressive like LOTRO.

Content within Warzones / Operation / Flashpoints / Space mini game do not count.

Agreed.

Disagree because Bioware are not adding content in a professional manner like Turbine did.

Bioware have given up, and faffing around with the cash shop now, putting little trinkets up for sale as content.

When they start adding more class story, housing, mount/vehicle combat then it will start becoming progressive like LOTRO.

Content within Warzones / Operation / Flashpoints / Space mini game do not count.

One Flashpoint in SWTOR is equivalent of plenty in other games. Same with operations. They are huge, story based and nothing like dungeons in other games... at least not the ones I played. 

So it's not comparing apples to apples.

Agreed.

One Flashpoint in SWTOR is equivalent of plenty in other games. Same with operations. They are huge, story based and nothing like dungeons in other games... at least not the ones I played. 

I do not care about Flashpoints because you NEED others to play and there is never on when you want them to be on. If EA/Bioware cared about the game at all, they would updated all areas of the game, like every other MMO

In SWG I never bothered with the Heroics or the City Invasions etc, but did other things. In LOTRO I do not bother with the skirmishes. But there is always something to do for EVERYBODY, in virtually every MMO I have played except SWTOR. the one area I want them to add content is class professions, then you can play by yourself if no one around OR with others if there are.

SWTOR is just limited in what you can entrtain you, and they do not update / add anything to entertain all kinds of people.

Agreed.

I do not care about Flashpoints because you NEED others to play and there is never on when you want them to be on. If EA/Bioware cared about the game at all, they would updated all areas of the game, like every other MMO

In SWG I never bothered with the Heroics or the City Invasions etc, but did other things. In LOTRO I do not bother with the skirmishes. But there is always something to do for EVERYBODY, in virtually every MMO I have played except SWTOR. the one area I want them to add content is class professions, then you can play by yourself if no one around OR with others if there are.

SWTOR is just limited in what you can entrtain you, and they do not update / add anything to entertain all kinds of people.

LOL there are so many people asking for FPs - it's impossible to NOT get into group. This is not single player game. Or better find a guild :).

Here is a guide of massively through Lost Island FP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkcIIKDB7aw

Agreed.

LOL there are so many people asking for FPs - it's impossible to NOT get into group. This is not single player game. Or better find a guild :).

Here is a guide of massively through Lost Island FP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkcIIKDB7aw

No other MMO is a single player game either, but they still add content to cater to ALL

MMOs still need single player capable content (STO scales difficulty to group size so all content is soloable) so you can play. If you play, then you are online, when you are online, then you can play with your friends when they come on and make it more fun.

No single player cpable content + no one on to play with = log off. If logged off then when someone else comes on, they can not find you and so they log off = not many logged on at all.

SWTOR has so many problems it is not funny

No other MMO is a single player game either, but they still add content to cater to ALL

MMOs still need single player capable content (STO scales difficulty to group size so all content is soloable) so you can play. If you play, then you are online, when you are online, then you can play with your friends when they come on and make it more fun.

No single player cpable content + no one on to play with = log off. If logged off then when someone else comes on, they can not find you and so they log off = not many logged on at all.

In my opinion single player has plenty to do in SWTOR, there are dailies - now 4 zones with Section X added, you have space missions, warzones. Plenty to do in my opinion. And there is always option to roll another alt and enjoy exceptional storytelling :) Cheers :)

In my opinion single player has plenty to do in SWTOR, there are dailies - now 4 zones with Section X added, you have space missions, warzones. Plenty to do in my opinion. And there is always option to roll another alt and enjoy exceptional storytelling :) Cheers :)

Which all eventually gets boring. Rolling another alt would not be so bad if 90% of the missions were not the same. The game needs MORE

At the end of the day ALL MMOs, every single one, have WAY WAY, lot more variety of things to do in them, than SWTOR does.

Even Far Cry 3 and Red Dead Redemption which are single player games (with multiplayer option) without a monthly fee have more to do in them than SWTOR does.

I guess you just like banging your head against a brick wall each day doing mundane tasks day in day out. What is ones persons junk is another persons treasure. SWTOR is a lot, a lot of peoples junk, but there is bound to be one or two people who find it a treasure. Most people sleep in cosy beds, but there are some who sleep on a bed of nails

Which all eventually gets boring. Rolling another alt would not be so bad if 90% of the missions were not the same. The game needs MORE

At the end of the day ALL MMOs, every single one, have WAY WAY, lot more variety of things to do in them, than SWTOR does.

Even Far Cry 3 and Red Dead Redemption which are single player games (with multiplayer option) without a monthly fee have more to do in them than SWTOR does.

I guess you just like banging your head against a brick wall each day doing mundane tasks day in day out. What is ones persons junk is another persons treasure. SWTOR is a lot, a lot of peoples junk, but there is bound to be one or two people who find it a treasure. Most people sleep in cosy beds, but there are some who sleep on a bed of nails

When they are years on market they have variety... not in the first year after launch. Show me one MMO that has different ways to level in first year ...

We like different things..obviously SWTOR is not game for you... what amazes me is why you are so active on forum of game that you do not like /shrug.

I hope you will find the game to your liking. I love SWTOR, I love every minute I spend there... every time seeing something I've never notice before... but I am looking and not blinding myself in fear that I can actually see something.

Good Luck to you :)

Edit. Yesterday I finished IA story for my LS male Operative. At the final quest I was crying. It was amazing how this game could do it. Did you ever cry in any MMO because of your character actions?

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

every further year SWTOR is around will delay the production of a real Star Wars MMO for another year.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by FromHell

every further year SWTOR is around will delay the production of a real Star Wars MMO for another year.

Always knew that there is a reason why some hate this game so much... just so another game can be created. Wishful thinking imo. No company will ever attempt to create another SW game if SWTOR will fail. Mark my word.

The best case scenerio would be a low budget imperfect games that will be hated even more than SWTOR. Or ignored.