Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if this game weren't Free, what game would you play?

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I can't honestly answer if I'd be playing GW2 or not. The thing is... if they designed GW2 with a subscription in mind it would be a different game most likely. You'd have the treadmills and grinds required to hook people into being willing to continue paying so they can crawl towards that next highly necessary tier of power. By keeping the subs out of it, they've avoided the unending power treadmill and with it the fear of falling behind.

Who knows... maybe they'd have come up with some incredible way of doing that, we can't say. But they didn't, and as a result produced the only MMO I play right now and into the foreseeable future.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Aviggin
    GW2 IS free, and I STILL don't play it and prefer to pay a monthly fee for WoW. GW2 wasn't bad for 3 weeks or so, and while other games in the genre currently aren't much better, they still feel like they have more going for them currently that actually drives me to play.

See above... they've hooked you on to the power treadmill, making you feel like you must keep playing (and paying) to keep up. WoW is horrendous for that... the next tier completely obsoletes the prior and will act as a barrier to raids etc. until you grind your way up to everyone else. What I like with GW2 is the freedom to do what I want, not what I need to do. No gear score to get me kicked from a raid, no meters judging my ability to stand there and go through the same rotation ad nauseum... if WoW is what you like, I hope you continue to have a blast there. But I did that for long enough, right up until just before Cata launched. The thought of having to toss my gear due to absolute obsoletion... enough was enough. I walked away, did Eve for a bit, even some Wizard 101 with the kids, and waited on GW2.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by 3-4thElf
    [mod edit]

Just got my nine year old son a sub for that, he's having a blast. Pirates and Wizard are both great games for what they are, I agree. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

I dont understand the question. The game was not free, we paid for it.

Besides that, most players would pay for a good game so why should someone play this game just because it is free. Free gaming should not be an arguement when it comes to judge the quality and content of a game.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Guild Wars 2.

I've tried to play some WoW and LOTRO, but the quest hubs and slower combat makes those games boring as hell.

Dude, totally.

I could never play one of those quest hub games again.  They are just so old school.  DEs are like where it's at, bud.  I'll definitely be playing this game and ONLY THIS GAME for the rest of my life.

GW2 TO THE END BRO!!!

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by Kinchyle

Whoa since when is Guild Wars 2 free?

I feel like a fool for buying it.  Unrelated as that may be.

Not free...who ever said so is a dumbass. 

Yer a fool for buying it? What has the gaming industry come to? A fun game for  $40-$60...what a shame.

That'd be the OP.

See there's the problem.  To me it isn't fun.  So yes I feel disappointed with my entertainment purchase due to my own personal experience with it.

It'd be like going to a movie that many people love.  You pay your ticket, and watch, and find it to be incredibly boring.  Should you be extremely happy that you paid 10 dollars to see a movie because other people enjoy it?

No you should be silly enough to pay and watch a movie that didn't fit your style.  You'll never see me go watch say a chick flick or a comedy at the theatre because I don't like those types of movies.  Same for MMO's, Id never pay to play something like Eve, FFXIV, or PS2 because none of those types of games interest me.  Sounds liek you live your life basing what others tell you what you might like and that is pretty damned sad.

Or I like to expand my interests and horizons by trying new things.  I might not normally eat a certain kind of food, or see a genre of movie, or play a style of game, or read a certain author's book, but I have found that sometimes you can discover you do enjoy something new.

If you only stick to doing the same things you enjoy and never try anything else, you could be missing out.

And perhaps the movie is my style, but I didn't enjoy this particular one.  Did you consider that?

I'd say you should try and keep an open mind, but that would require you trying something new :P

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

Originally posted by Kinchyle

Originally posted by grimalThird, I am playing SWTOR and having a lot of fun.
    That makes one of you

I lol'd so hard in class when I read this now everyone is looking at me like a freak. Thanks.

I tried to warn you all. But nobody would listen. They just keep supporting the business model of, "Recouperate costs and profit in first 3 months...then who cares how good the game is after that."

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by grimal

First, this game isn't free.

Second, I am no longer playing the game.

Third, I am playing SWTOR and having a lot of fun.

^ this right here for me as well.

Joined - July 2004

Guild Wars 2.

I've tried to play some WoW and LOTRO, but the quest hubs and slower combat makes those games boring as hell.

Dude, totally.

I could never play one of those quest hub games again.  They are just so old school.  DEs are like where it's at, bud.  I'll definitely be playing this game and ONLY THIS GAME for the rest of my life.

GW2 TO THE END BRO!!!

You just said you were playing SWTOR. There really isnt more a hub friendly game than that. 

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Subscribed to Rift. Would rather pay there, than 'enjoy' the free but oh so shallow GW2.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

1) It's not free

2) I'm not playing it anymore

3) I'm not playing any MMOs right now

This.

Picked up the Mass Effect Trilogy, Jet Set Radio, Lego Batman 2, Saints Row The Third, The Sims 3, Dead Island GOTY, and Serious Sam 3 Jewl of the Nile all in the last week or so. So I've got plenty of gaming to do, and don't really feel the need to have an MMO at the moment. Christmas is coming up with plenty of deals from Steam, Green Man Gaming, Get Games Go, Gamersgate, etc. so I'll have an even bigger backlog to play through. 

Maybe in a few months something will be out that fits my style, but until then, I'm good.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864
    Uhm, is this poll only for people who have an illegal copy of the game? Last I checked GW2 wasn't free. No sub != free. It's amazing how many people consider this a "free" game after shelling out $60.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by ZigZags

Guild Wars 2.

Dude, totally.

GW2 TO THE END BRO!!!

You just said you were playing SWTOR. There really isnt more a hub friendly game than that. 

Your sarcasm detector must be broken.image

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by ZigZags

I tried to warn you all. But nobody would listen. They just keep supporting the business model of, "Recouperate costs and profit in first 3 months...then who cares how good the game is after that."

Says the guy who loves to MMO hop on nearly every single title. Sorry but I find it hard to believe someone who play/tried every single AAA mmo out there. GW2 is one of the only MMO that is not going that route and yet you played most titles that went that way. I guess you can't even follow your own advise and fail to realise that GW2 is doing better than all the titles you played in the last couple of years.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    LIFE, the boardgame I mean... or this
  • sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

i play GW2 because i like it.. not becasue its free... sometimes i wish it had a sub instead of store...cause the economy of the game is crippled and limited to favor the Gem Store..

Nevertheless if i werent play GW2 I propably wouldnt play anything... maybe planeside2 for 1-2 hours a day or even TSW that i feel i should have try but that boat sailed now.. but only IF the new Darkfall werent on the orizon! ;) so basicaly if it wasnt For Gw2 i would wait for Darkfall. I might even take a brake from Gw2 to play for a couple of months DF...

and im not the guy that play many mmos at the same time... i like to focus at one at a time and dive in completely..rather than be on more than one and feel that i dont belong anywhere...

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    GW2 IS free, and I STILL don't play it and prefer to pay a monthly fee for WoW. GW2 wasn't bad for 3 weeks or so, and while other games in the genre currently aren't much better, they still feel like they have more going for them currently that actually drives me to play.

See above... they've hooked you on to the power treadmill, making you feel like you must keep playing (and paying) to keep up. WoW is horrendous for that... the next tier completely obsoletes the prior and will act as a barrier to raids etc. until you grind your way up to everyone else. What I like with GW2 is the freedom to do what I want, not what I need to do. No gear score to get me kicked from a raid, no meters judging my ability to stand there and go through the same rotation ad nauseum... if WoW is what you like, I hope you continue to have a blast there. But I did that for long enough, right up until just before Cata launched. The thought of having to toss my gear due to absolute obsoletion... enough was enough. I walked away, did Eve for a bit, even some Wizard 101 with the kids, and waited on GW2.

I played WoW since the Open Beta before launch in 2004. It's still by far above and beyond anything else currently available. That "power treadmill" might be a hassle for you, but it's what has kept me coming back no matter how many times I've quite in the past.

If there's nothing keeping you going, as is the case in GW2, at least for me, then there's no point playing. Period. There's nothing else that needs to be said.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by spizz

I dont understand the question. The game was not free, we paid for it.

Besides that, most players would pay for a good game so why should someone play this game just because it is free. Free gaming should not be an arguement when it comes to judge the quality and content of a game.

Seems like a simple question.  What aspect of this game is free when compared to the non-free aspects of the industry.  You know, subscription fee. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Terranah
    none of the above.  Money is not a factor in what games I play.

Agreed. It could have been a factor if there really was a game like Sword arts online that demanded a VR helmet to play or other high cost stuff but anything less than $30 a month and which you can run on a normal computer is cheap.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    This game is not free. Planetside 2 or swtor are free but for gw2 you must pay
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter
    Originally posted by lucasdeis

Football Manager.

Which I'm actually playing atm since GW2 kinda sucks once you're max level.

So much this.

Played a couple of hours after turing 80, logged off and never looked back.

May I question you on the highlighted part? If you had never looked back, why would you be posting here? Just curious...

Just because you do not play a game anymore, you can still look at the forums.

I'm hoping some day, some refreshing arrives to GW2 that makes me want to play it again.

I still read WoW forums, because I had so many great times in World of Warcraft. But I do not play it anymore.

So you are actually looking back. Thanks for confirming that.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by lucasdeis

FREE????

Where did you get it?

I had to pay $60. I didn't Know it was Free.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by zomard100
    This game is not free. Planetside 2 or swtor are free but for gw2 you must pay

None of those games are free. SWTOR - it is so limited in free mode, it is not worth playing. ANd with PS2, you buy the 'UBER' guns. Nothing is really free.