Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

gw2 account nearly hacked

evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131

does anyone here been into this circumstances where you suddenly received an email from arenanet whereby there is a link for you to approve a login from china? Lol, for once, im 100% sure im not from china. I have played diablo3/wow but have never encountered an incident where my account is nearly compromised. Have done a scan using malwarebytes.. turns out theres nothing suspicious program running on my pc.

I changed my password without hesitation lol, is this the reason why i receive mail/saw gold spammers ingame ? like people somewhat using same password for their email and also gw2 account? lol

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    word of advice..change your email adress..create a new one and although you have done a new pw do another..use an email that you have never used before or create one specifically for the game..thats what i had to do..just dont use the email to surf or anything..just to play gw2
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

That definitely was not an email from Anet I don't think, the one i got said did you want to change your password? If not then go to the website @ (no clickable link just the website name) and change it now for your security. And "someone tried to change the password on your account from this IP in .blah blah country)

Those are the only valid ones I know of from Anet.

Also, they don't allow anyone to change the email address anymore to my knowledge (which was the way they hacked people in the beginning).

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

That was a phishing attempt.

Game accounts are almost never 'hacked'.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by itgrowls

That definitely was not an email from Anet I don't think, the one i got said did you want to change your password? If not then go to the website @ (no clickable link just the website name) and change it now for your security. And "someone tried to change the password on your account from this IP in .blah blah country)

Those are the only valid ones I know of from Anet.

Also, they don't allow anyone to change the email address anymore to my knowledge (which was the way they hacked people in the beginning).

but thats what his problem is..they have is email..i,m suprised they dont allow it anymore..but i suppose i understand

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

my wife received a ton of emails saying the same. she ignored them and a few days later, her account was hacked. after they fixed it, it started to happen again. this time anet just gave her a refund without her even asking.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by silverreign

my wife received a ton of emails saying the same. she ignored them and a few days later, her account was hacked. after they fixed it, it started to happen again. this time anet just gave her a refund without her even asking.

As mentioned above, I have an email address I created solely for GW2, and that's all it'll ever be used for. That pretty well prevents people from phishing things up. On the original email I was using I started getting account notifications on my diablo II account... which doesn't exist, since I never bought or played it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• evdaezevdaez Member UncommonPosts: 131

thx for the word of advice guys, anyways this time im gonna change my password regularly, btw i think the email was definitely from arenanet cause i did a check/whois on the ip address/email header for the email that was sent to me.

Got no problems with gw2 so far(enjoying my dual dagger ele so far lol), jst that this incident gave me a scare XD

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q649/Mizterz_Harry/heyz.gif

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Unless you turn off email authentication for log in attempts from a new i.p. address, you will indeed get an email from Arenanet. That people still get hacked points to either being the victim of a keylogger or phishing attempt, or, more likely, using the same password for GW2 as used for the associated email account. (Usually, the same combo has also been used for numerous other sites as well, which is usually where the compromise occurs).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

with the ip check -- i dont think they can access your acct from a different location

I was trying to help my nephew in a different state and needed to log into his acct to assist w a server transfer

even tho i had my nephews ID / password

game client would not let me in until my sister authorized the "different ip" from the email that anet sent her

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I have received 10 emails from phishers for my D3 account in the last week. I always look at the source code of the email. They are getting good at making emails look like they are from the original company.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Like someone said, create one e-mail address to use only and only for GW2 and you will not have problems, create a original weird one like [email protected] or yahoo.com etc etc

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY