Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lucas Arts knew SWTOR would bomb

1235»

Comments

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Would there be anything preventing me from writing a blog claiming to be a former EA employee and posting it on this website? 

Is there any proof, that if, in fact this guy worked for EA, that he was 'in the know'?

A janitor who works on the the Washington D.C. mall is technically a part of the Executive branch of government. Does that mean he knows insider information about the president's political agenda?

Do we know his job in the game? Do we know his exposure to high level meetings with LucasArts? Do we have any of this info? If this guy is for real, why would he use this avenue to tell his story? A true 'scoop' would be taken up by a gaming journalist; but only if the guy is legit. He very well could be a lowly 3 month contract employee  - his guess on why he lost his job may be as good as ours. IF he isn't completely fabricating the story. But, although many seem to have personal loss clouding your judgement about this game, what kind of bias would someone have if they lost their job?

The amount of folks giving credence to this guy astonishes me. 

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by mnwild1998
    Well I disagree with you. But history shows you look for TOR post to bash the game and think its a fun game and we wont be on the same page when it comes to this game anytime soon.

I actually rarely bash the game itself, nor its playerbase. I mostly observe EA's handling of the game, and admittedly find it lacking.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

I knew TOR would bomb when the Bioware co-founder stated WoW is the 'touchstone' of MMOs and Wow has "...established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb."

That combined with the on rails tunnel shooter for space combat.

Don't think you had to be Nostradamus to see that failure coming.

Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Chieftan

GW2 only sold 2 million copies.  If it sold more Anet would have told us by now.  That's really not very good for a game relying so heavily on box sales.

Retailers are now slashing the price on GW2...what exactly does that tell you? 

3 months later -- GW2 is *still* in Amazons Top 10 PC games

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011?tag=vglnk-c864-20#2

Well, interestingly;

GW2 download is #22

just ahead of cataclysm at #23 

which amazingly is outselling

Pandaria at #29.

But ToR is still #25 after almost a year.......

(still outselling WoW's latest expansion to boot.)

And, to show what all of this is worth.

The #34 selling game out of hundreds and hundres on Amazon = Farming Simulator 2013.

so what's your theory again?

P.S. 3 months after release; ToR was still in the top 10 as well.

• citan79citan79 Member UncommonPosts: 86

TOR is a good 1 player game.   I have no clue how they justified making it a mmo.  It just is not up to snuff to be an mmo.

Some people like it... some people also like bieber, it doesn't meant its good.  Let them enjoy like a pig enjoys to wallow in  crap. 

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by citan79

TOR is a good 1 player game.  

TOR to me is one of the best co-op experiences I've had. NWN2 was my favorite before, but I think TOR took the top spot.

But I agree, it would have been better received as a single player game with co-op included. But there'd be no content updates, so it's a win/lose either way for me.

Originally posted by Draron

TOR to me is one of the best co-op experiences I've had. NWN2 was my favorite before, but I think TOR took the top spot.

But I agree, it would have been better received as a single player game with co-op included. But there'd be no content updates, so it's a win/lose either way for me.

You must not play many non-MMOs. It's actually unusual for games not to have DLC this days.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by Zorgo

GW2 only sold 2 million copies.  If it sold more Anet would have told us by now.  That's really not very good for a game relying so heavily on box sales.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011?tag=vglnk-c864-20#2

Well, interestingly;

GW2 download is #22

Pandaria at #29.

The #34 selling game out of hundreds and hundres on Amazon = Farming Simulator 2013.

Although to a certain extent, I appreciate your point, you are leaving out the part that GW2 is #4 physical, #22 download, and even their stupid gem card is #33. (That and ToR began reduing in price in March till it was $19.99 in July, $15 in August, and the $13 it is now.)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

TOR is a good 1 player game.   I have no clue how they justified making it a mmo.  It just is not up to snuff to be an mmo.

Some people like it... some people also like bieber, it doesn't meant its good.  Let them enjoy like a pig enjoys to wallow in  crap. 

now you are just being a troll. Ironically someone might turn their own microscope on your own little microcosm and find the same about you.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428
    As mediocre as swtor is, it is way better than gw2. Gw2 sold a ton of boxes, fortunately for them there is no subscription data to track or you'd realize that thing is sinking too. Combat was too simple and wackamole like and it had none of the depth a real mmorpg should have, much like swtor in that way really.
    Originally posted by SlothnChunk

You must not play many non-MMOs. It's actually unusual for games not to have DLC this days.

The extent of DLC =/= MMO content updates. Saying otherwise is fooling yourself.

It's ironic you mention me not playing MMO's, because atm I'm kinda in a drought for them. Just cancelled my XI sub after renewing it a few days ago and it was the only one I had active. I'm taking a break from them and going to play through the backlog of single player games I have - The Walking Dead, Skyrim Dawnguard (and most of the vanilla content), Legend of Grimrock, Dark Souls...lot's of things.

Originally posted by tiefighter25
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Well, interestingly;

GW2 download is #22

Pandaria at #29.

Although to a certain extent, I appreciate your point, you are leaving out the part that GW2 is #4 physical, #22 download, and even their stupid gem card is #33. (That and ToR began reduing in price in March till it was $19.99 in July, $15 in August, and the $13 it is now.)

Pretty sure his point still stands - a game that gets the critique SWTOR does on this site to still be in the top sellers a year after it's launch is a feat of it's own.

The extent of DLC =/= MMO content updates. Saying otherwise is fooling yourself.

TOR has been out for over a year. The average game with DLC has come out with more additional content than TOR for the same duration.

TOR has been out for over a year. The average game with DLC has come out with more additional content than TOR for the same duration.

Guess we can agree to disagree. I'd say otherwise. Unless your counting other EA games - that's another matter. Pricing for features on the disc I wouldn't count.

Guess we can agree to disagree. I'd say otherwise.

Well...just look at Skyrim for example. Came out the same time as TOR and is on it's third DLC as of today. More content added than TOR in the same period.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

That is why TOR would be most suited for being a single player game, as the content that has been added, is like DLC and not MMO content.

Now if they were to update the game with stuff like Beast Master, instanced player housing, story/mission creator etc then it deserves to be a $15 MMO, but the game seems not be able to be enhanced with things like that

Looking at Sleeping Dogs released in August, after 4 months it has all these things:

Sleeping Dogs: Gangland Style Pack

Sleeping Dogs: Drunken Fist Pack

Sleeping Dogs: Ghost Pig

Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare in North Point

Sleeping Dogs: Screen Legends Pack

Sleeping Dogs: The SWAT Pack

Sleeping Dogs - Tactical Soldier Pack

Sleeping Dogs - Street Racer Pack

Sleeping Dogs - High Resolution Texture Pack

Sleeping Dogs: Top Dog Gold Pack

Sleeping Dogs: The Red Envelope Pack

Sleeping Dogs: The High Roller Pack

Sleeping Dogs: Top Dog Silver Pack

Sleeping Dogs: Retro Triad Pack

Sleeping Dogs: Police Protection Pack

Sleeping Dogs: Martial Arts Pack

Sleeping Dogs: GSP Pack

Sleeping Dogs: Deep Undercover Pack

Sleeping Dogs - Triad Enforcer Pack

Sleeping Dogs: Square Enix Character Pack

which all costs the equivalent of about 3 months subs, and you can choose to buy it or not

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by mikahr
    Originally posted by mikahr

ANet closed their shop at launch for some period of time due to high sales, that would indicate they sold way more than they anticipated.

OTOH SWTOR opened enough servers for 3-4 times of what they sold, that would indicate they sold way less than they anticipated (which also reflects on sub money and GW2 doesnt really have that problem since their financial play relies mostly on box sales).

From that PoV, number of active GW2 players is pretty irrelevant as it only influences extra profit from cash shop, while that sam number is very relevant for SWTOR since it relies on subs (and when it failed on cash shop).

You're trying to tell me the GW2 cash shop is a huge success and SWTOR's isn't?  What evidence do you have to back that up??

Anet is in hot water right now.  Without revenue from box sales and a dying population to buy from the cash shop they're looking at NO INCOME to recoup development costs, host servers and fund development for future expansions.

The author was trying to say GW2 has triumphed when it's actually heading for the MMO dumpster.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

A game with a 5 year development cycle needs alot more than 2 million box sales to break even.  I don't know how to spell it out any more clearly than that.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71
    My god are you delusional Cheiftan.

[mod edit]

A game with a 5 year development cycle needs alot more than 2 million box sales to break even.  I don't know how to spell it out any more clearly than that.

Where to start...... with the math? with history? with evidence? with common sense?

No I've got it.

Chieftan, you are dead wrong. I don't know how to spell it out any more clearly than that.