Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Level 80, Now What?

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

If though this is a "Critical" column the amount of sugar coating makes my stomach hurt. This reminds of when people felt like they had to say "GW2 is  a good game" at the begining of every critical thread.

"The strongest type of character progression in Guild Wars 2 is visual.  This is where ArenaNet really hit a home run.  As your character becomes stronger they will need better armor and weapons." 

I feel they completely missed the mark her for the first 79 levels. I made a thread awhile back showing my toon looking exactly the same at level 50 as it did at level 14. The variation in armor sub 80 is a bismal. It was a corner cut, and it's a real sore point.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I have level 80 guardian who is currently persueing exotics. I also started an ele who is only level 17. Content is not GW2 problem. In fact there is a rediculous amount of things to do. However this game is not for the I play 40+ hours a week gamer. ANdr can't keep them happy without imposing gear treadmills and grind of more traditional MMOs on the rest of us. I will be playing far into the future because.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

Why do people need to get on a gear treadmill to play a game? When did video games become about gear and not fun? Im having a blast with my level 80, doing dungeons, fractial runs, crafting. Great thing is because there is no gear tiers I can access all contant with green and rare yellow con gear. I have more to do at 80 then most MMOs I have played over the past 15 years of MMOing I have done, just because I am not locked out of content. 

This is before you even get into polishing your crafting, exploring (big world) meta events like killing Dragons. Large chain events that the community is always going to play because they are fun with great rewards. This is even before you get into sPvP and WvW and I am having a blast playing them even with the tweeking it needs. This game is fun. 

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by grimal

Got my warrior to 80.  Immediately created an ele alt.  Got to about 65 with her.  Stopped playing.  Became extremely bored doing the same thing over and over for a story I could give two poops about.

Back to playing SWTOR.  Back to playing with the trinity.....and loving it. :)

While I wouldn't tout SWTOR as being worth going back to over any other game(extreme lack of diversity in leveling) you have a point about the trinity.  I thought I would enjoy the gameplay GW2 brought to the table with parties and no true tank/healers but quickly found I hated it and wanted trinity gameplay asap, especially in dungeons.  Trinity gameplay just allows one to focus build characters more and feel like they are contributing to the group.  In GW2's current form I feel lost half the time and useless the other half, mostly as I'm running back mid fight 5 times on 1 boss along with other members of the party just to take the next party members spot as he dies to the that same boss and does the death run back to us and repeats ad nauseum until the boss is dead.  Yeah, it's just dumb and doesn't really work.

Game tastes are subjective.

But the removing of the trinity without replacing it with something else was a huge mistake on ANET's part.  A clear example of simply changing a mechanic for the sake of changing it with zero afterthough afterwards.  Combat is confused and utterly without any strategy.  I absolutely hated the dungeon experience. 

If you are going to remove something that has worked, provide an alternative.  Removing for the sake of removing is lazy and uttetly poor planning.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Got my warrior to 80.  Immediately created an ele alt.  Got to about 65 with her.  Stopped playing.  Became extremely bored doing the same thing over and over for a story I could give two poops about.

While I wouldn't tout SWTOR as being worth going back to over any other game(extreme lack of diversity in leveling) you have a point about the trinity.  I thought I would enjoy the gameplay GW2 brought to the table with parties and no true tank/healers but quickly found I hated it and wanted trinity gameplay asap, especially in dungeons.  Trinity gameplay just allows one to focus build characters more and feel like they are contributing to the group.  In GW2's current form I feel lost half the time and useless the other half, mostly as I'm running back mid fight 5 times on 1 boss along with other members of the party just to take the next party members spot as he dies to the that same boss and does the death run back to us and repeats ad nauseum until the boss is dead.  Yeah, it's just dumb and doesn't really work.

But the removing of the trinity without replacing it with something else was a huge mistake on ANET's part.  A clear example of simply changing a mechanic for the sake of changing it with zero afterthough afterwards.  Combat is confused and utterly without any strategy.  I absolutely hated the dungeon experience. 

If you are going to remove something that has worked, provide an alternative.  Removing for the sake of removing is lazy and uttetly poor planning.

Why do you need to replace the trinity? The idea is not to use any mechanic like that. Each individual has to heal themselves as well as protect. It makes the game less - pew, pew, pew - like RIft, WoW, etc.

The evade mechanics in GW2, also make it play more like PvP, which you do have to move otherwise die.

Originally posted by bcbully

If though this is a "Critical" column the amount of sugar coating makes my stomach hurt. This reminds of when people felt like they had to say "GW2 is  a good game" at the begining of every critical thread.

"The strongest type of character progression in Guild Wars 2 is visual.  This is where ArenaNet really hit a home run.  As your character becomes stronger they will need better armor and weapons." 

I feel they completely missed the mark her for the first 79 levels. I made a thread awhile back showing my toon looking exactly the same at level 50 as it did at level 14. The variation in armor sub 80 is a bismal. It was a corner cut, and it's a real sore point.

Totally agree here.  I had about four different choices of armor looks on both my toons sub 80.  Really emphasized the repetitiveness of this game when I basically looked the same the whole way through.

Totally agree here.  I had about four different choices of armor looks on both my toons sub 80.  Really emphasized the repetitiveness of this game when I basically looked the same the whole way through.

But did you have fun playing the content? Remember playing Mario Brothers for fun? Looking the same all the way through the game and not caring.  End game are you having fun in GW2? Is the content well done? What does it matter if you get better gear that makes you DDs 5% more powerful when the mobs have 5% more health? Thats a false progression to keep you on a gean treadmill. I agree more new styles would be nice but more powerful, no. Its time to get beck to the roots of why we played video games... fun!!!! Its the content that matters not the gear.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by BurninatorX
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    Originally posted by orbitxo
    Originally posted by NBlitz

So basically, same shiitake mushrooms you can do in any other MMO.

..but better graphics

Highly subjective.

Not at all subjective. Graphic quality is based on technical limits and power of processing the visuals. You're mistaking graphic quality with aesthetic or art-style, which is as you said highly subjective. How good the graphics are, on the other hand, is based on facts and numbers. I doubt you are going to argue that math is based on opinion as well.

I beg to differ. I'm aware of the differences between graphics and aesthetics but many aren't. So when I see someone talking about "better graphics" almost always they mean aesthetics. Right or wrong?

Going off on that is why I said "highly subjective." Aesthetics, subjective. Right or wrong?

Talking about the technical aspects, it is better than what? Pretty vague and open to interpretation. Better graphics than WoW, yes. Better graphics than say...Final Fantasy XIV, The Secret World, etc.? Nope. Right or wrong?

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

But did you have fun playing the content? Remember playing Mario Brothers for fun? Looking the same all the way through the game and not caring.  End game are you having fun in GW2? Is the content well done? What does it matter if you get better gear that makes you DDs 5% more powerful when the mobs have 5% more health? Thats a false progression to keep you on a gean treadmill. I agree more new styles would be nice but more powerful, no. Its time to get beck to the roots of why we played video games... fun!!!! Its the content that matters not the gear.

Yes I had fun.  But it would have been even more fun with more looks to choose from.  I don't play for endgame.  I play these games for character progression.  Gear is tied to that.

Also, I don't remember everyone playing "Super Mario" for "fun" past the first few times.  After that it was how far you could get.

It is getting really old when people keep using that as some sort of deflection.

And for the record, yes, Galaga was fun, Space Invaders was fun.  But the drive to keep playing them was to see how far you could progress.  Fun is something that happens along the way.  It is a by-product, not the goal in itself.

Yes I had fun.  But it would have been even more fun with more looks to choose from.  I don't play for endgame.  I play these games for character progression.  Gear is tied to that.

Also, I don't remember everyone playing "Super Mario" for "fun" past the first few times.  After that it was how far you could get.

It is getting really old when people keep using that as some sort of deflection.

And for the record, yes, Galaga was fun, Space Invaders was fun.  But the drive to keep playing them was to see how far you could progress.  Fun is something that happens along the way.  It is a by-product, not the goal in itself.

Guess this is an area we disagree on. Only reason to play any video game for me is fun. For me, progression is the bonus. IMO if a game ever becomes mostly about progression and not fun, is the day I stop playing video games. 

Everquest was like that for me. When it started it had no raids and was all about exploring the land and dungeons. 6 years into the game I realized I was playing to get more powerful gear to be able to get access to more powerful bosses to get more powerful gear to get access to more powerful bosses. ((((hits loop button)))) Thats when I quit and DAoC saved MMOs for me, as again the goal of the game was fun. GW2 has done that for me with MMOs again. Progression is a side note, fun is the focus. IMO its the first MMO in a long time to come out with substance!!!!

Originally posted by botrytis

Why do you need to replace the trinity? The idea is not to use any mechanic like that. Each individual has to heal themselves as well as protect. It makes the game less - pew, pew, pew - like RIft, WoW, etc.

The evade mechanics in GW2, also make it play more like PvP, which you do have to move otherwise die.

I understand that was their idea.  I'm simply agreeing with the many, many others that felt it was a bad choice and only made the combat confusing.

Guess this is an area we disagree on. Only reason to play any video game for me is fun. For me, progression is the bonus. IMO if a game ever becomes mostly about progression and not fun, is the day I stop playing video games. 

Everquest was like that for me. When it started it had no raids and was all about exploring the land and dungeons. 6 years into the game I realized I was playing to get more powerful gear to be able to get access to more powerful bosses to get more powerful gear to get access to more powerful bosses. ((((hits loop button)))) Thats when I quit and DAoC saved MMOs for me, as again the goal of the game was fun. GW2 has done that for me with MMOs again. Progression is a side note, fun is the focus. IMO its the first MMO in a long time to come out with substance!!!!

Of course I play these games for fun.  Progression is fun for me.  It goes without saying that once I stop having fun, I stop playing.

• vipermanorvipermanor Member UncommonPosts: 6

For those who are lack of memory. The objectives of this game:

1. - This game is focused on casual gamers, people who have social life. The population of causal players will always be greater than the population of "Hardcore gamer".

2. - Only pay $ 60 and no subscription.

3. - The cash shop only sells items like appearance,  dyes, inventory expansion, etc.

4. -It Just has 3 months that came out to market, by which has much potential in the future. It seems to me absurd to compare it to other games that have long been on the market, for example WoW. If that's the case, WoW has a lot of content, but it's an old game, you have to pay subscription, in addition to having good equipment is necessary to spend much time stuck in your pc.

5. - The lack of trinity immediate results in each player depends on himself for protection and healing. If you die is because of you. Makes it easier to find players to enter a dungeon. There is no discrimination.

6. - If you do not move or dodge, you die. It is not a static game.

7. - The sPVP, is the most balanced and fun I've seen in my life, which depends on your ability and become very familiar with your character. Unlike other games, where depends on your equipment. The world of "sPVP" is separated from the world of "PVE". The "WvW" is very complex and can get benefits for your server, like more experience by killing, craft, etc..

Well for my part, I have a job and family, so for me it is a game that falls like a glove. I have 10 years of playing online games. I do not wanna waste my life sitting in front of a pc.

[mod edit]

PD: Sorry for my english. ;D

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

Like most mmo's there is really no point to bothering when your at cap, why bother raiding for items that serve no more purpose anymore? (world of warcraft to name one) If you could at least take the items and go pvp with them or something it might make raiding worth it, but otherwise its not. The problem is how mmo's are made today, they are made so you hit cap in a few days even as a casual, but then the game lacks really anything to do once your at cap. Older mmo's like eq1/2, dark age of camelot and a few others negate this problem somewhat by allowing raid gear to be the best gear for pvp and such. EQ2 has alternative advancement which are like talent points in a way that you get for doing various things, like killing named monsters, clearning dungeons, pvp battles, item collection, there are many other categorys for this, you can hit over 330 AA levels which takes quite a bit of time once your at keep, bascally it gives players something other than raiding (for pointless items like world of warcraft as an example) to do.

Why other devs haven't taken a clue from eq2 is beyond me, eq2 looks a bit dated (but not nearly as dated as wow, wow was way behind the times graphically even at its launch) I think they need to look more at qhat you can do in eq2 insted of wow, wow may have the most subs but thats because alot of its playerbase are mindless cattle that have fallen prey to blizzards carrot on a stick tactic, I mean why keep your sub open only to raid once a week? Many wow players do this, they don't even login till raid day then after raid you never see them for 6 days, I mean whats the point? The raid gear has no uses in wow. Might as well sub to something else instead, or quit entirely. But again I have to give blizzard props for tricking so many morons into falling for this scheme, I don't know how they did it, but it seems to work.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I understand that was their idea.  I'm simply agreeing with the many, many others that felt it was a bad choice and only made the combat confusing.

If you understand it, then why do you say "changing a mechanic for the sake of changing it"? It's pretty obvious why the change was made, I respect that many don't like it and that's fine as well.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Originally posted by vipermanor

For those who are lack of memory. The objectives of this game:

1. - This game is focused on casual gamers, people who have social life. The population of causal players will always be greater than the population of "Hardcore gamer".

2. - Only pay $ 60 and no subscription.

3. - The cash shop only sells items like appearance,  dyes, inventory expansion, etc.

4. -It Just has 3 months that came out to market, by which has much potential in the future. It seems to me absurd to compare it to other games that have long been on the market, for example WoW. If that's the case, WoW has a lot of content, but it's an old game, you have to pay subscription, in addition to having good equipment is necessary to spend much time stuck in your pc.

5. - The lack of trinity immediate results in each player depends on himself for protection and healing. If you die is because of you. Makes it easier to find players to enter a dungeon. There is no discrimination.

6. - If you do not move or dodge, you die. It is not a static game.

7. - The sPVP, is the most balanced and fun I've seen in my life, which depends on your ability and become very familiar with your character. Unlike other games, where depends on your equipment. The world of "sPVP" is separated from the world of "PVE". The "WvW" is very complex and can get benefits for your server, like more experience by killing, craft, etc..

Well for my part, I have a job and family, so for me it is a game that falls like a glove. I have 10 years of playing online games. I do not wanna waste my life sitting in front of a pc.

One last thing, hardcore-gamer  GET A LIFE!!! XD

PD: Sorry for my english. ;D

GW2 is like the perfect game for casuals imo, Buy it and then you can play as much or as little as you like, no need to worry about subs, you can come and go as you please. I haven't bought it yet but I just might soonishj because I am looking for something to play and most of the mmo's on the market do not interest me since they all feel and play the same. I was thinking of eq2, but I don't feel like dropping 80 bucks down on 2 expansions to get current in a game where its supposed to be f2p. So that is stopping me from just playing eq2.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Now what?? pvp!!! image

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

To the endgamers: i would say a lot of things here but i wont :P

You kept telling that GW2 dont have endgame and you actually succeeded in talking-in developers to implement one. Just dont say "GW2 dont have an endgame" anymore, you just got one now. Go and check it out.

As for developers, hundred of people told them that "endgamers" wont care at all if they continue to focus on endgame, but they wouldnt listen. This is like when you got attracted to some girl at high school but she wont notice you. And you continue to make a fool out of yourself because of her and chase her 24 hours a day, but she doesnt and will not give a f*ck about you.

And here it is. This topic. On the other side thank you guys anyway, i will use this one as a refference when someone tells me "hurr durr, they need to get players out of WoW somehow".

EDIT: I changed my second sentence because of false logic with the rest of the text

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• shawn19606shawn19606 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I stopped playing GW2 and went back to WOW. WOW is still far superior and a ton more fun. At least GW2 has no sub so I can try to pick it up again months down the road when I'm sick of WOW again.
    Originally posted by Kuppa

If you understand it, then why do you say "changing a mechanic for the sake of changing it"? It's pretty obvious why the change was made, I respect that many don't like it and that's fine as well.

In the end, I think that's what they did.  I don't think it works very well.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I think it works fine - we all have opinions and no is right or wrong. We can sit here saying the same things over and over and it won't change what happened or what it is.

Don't like the game, just don't play.

I think it works fine - we all have opinions and no is right or wrong. We can sit here saying the same things over and over and it won't change what happened or what it is.

Don't like the game, just don't play.

I love the game but there is some tweeking that needs to take place. Like in dungeons melee is not a viable option way to often and not all classes do ranged well enough to make it fun. My Guardian at ranged is gimp damage at best. Bosses need better tells for spike DPS and the partical effects need better scaling so we can see them and... all classes need a better balance with range DPS. Right now I say ANet no holy trinity is only working at 70% efficancy. Right now I see its potential but I can see why some are fustrated. I think GW2 could use with Wildstars telegraph system. Not only red circles where damanage is happening but red circles where its going to happen next as well.

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

I'm still testing this but I may have found a new best practice for playing GW2 (works for toons of all levels, too): 

• Monitor 1: Set up a cannon in a calm corner of the WvWvW map (Anza worked for me last night), take occasional potshots of passing rabbits and enemies and call out bigger attacks and nearby enemy movements. 
    • Monitor 2 (primary): Watch re-runs of your favorite TV shows/movies.

I am enjoying myself  and  I am useful to my server at the same time

Tonight I think it'll be Dune and Greenbriar (or whatever happens to be a good spot tonight although I do like Anza a lot).

Originally posted by Chingo

I'm still testing this but I may have found a new best practice for playing GW2 (works for toons of all levels, too): 

• Monitor 1: Set up a cannon in a calm corner of the WvWvW map (Anza worked for me last night), take occasional potshots of passing rabbits and enemies and call out bigger attacks and nearby enemy movements. 
    • Monitor 2 (primary): Watch re-runs of your favorite TV shows/movies.

I am enjoying myself  and  I am useful to my server at the same time

Tonight I think it'll be Dune and Greenbriar (or whatever happens to be a good spot tonight although I do like Anza a lot).

The enjoyment comes from.....monitor 1 or 2?  Because if it comes from 2, your description sounds like work.

• wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127

rather you put in 20 hours or 600 hours and asking "what to do next in GW2" the answer is...

PLAY ANOTHER GAME!

at 60 bucks you can't beat that. Halo 4 campaign isn't even 20 hours. at least GW2 doesnt have a monthly fee. play something else till more content is available. IDK what you all expect, a never ending game, even WOW ends eventually? the demands from the mmo players just get more and more ridiculous, the game has a level cap what did you expect?