Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if this game weren't Free, what game would you play?

Comments

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by Kinchyle
    Originally posted by Terranah
    none of the above.  Money is not a factor in what games I play.

^This

WTF is wrong with most of this community? The game is fun...hell it's great! I didn't think it would be either. Do some of you just feel you HAVE to post crap here? The more I read here, the more I think that most have no brain.

(not posting against you as the OP...just this place in general)

Congratulations on telling people they have no brain because their opinion does not match your own, your a true model human being.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Need to add OTHER.  I play LOTRO(lifetime sub).  Even when it's Free I haven't logged in since the Lost Shores event and that was for about 15 minutes of realizing the game still has no longevity to keep me playing.
  • KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

In other words you would play gw2 (or anything you are currently playing) :D

And yeah I feel the same. On the other hand from the list of games, I would play gw2 anyway even if all of them were free. Well, maybe alongside with Eve.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    I wouldn't be playing any MMORPG/MMOFPS.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by dageeza

Still playing GW2 for me personally there simply isnt another game out there right now that is better than GW2..

Im still playing quite a bit and having loads of fun and thats what counts more than anything else..

When i do eventually burn out on GW2 my gaming days are probably over unless the unthinkable should happen and something really awesome thats not currently on the radar pops up along the way..

Same here. 

I have high hopes for Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls Online.  Only other games I am following right now because eveything else is either drek, indie, or Gankfest PvP games.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Whoa since when is Guild Wars 2 free?

I feel like a fool for buying it.  Unrelated as that may be.

Not free...who ever said so is a dumbass. 

Yer a fool for buying it? What has the gaming industry come to? A fun game for  $40-$60...what a shame.

That'd be the OP.

See there's the problem.  To me it isn't fun.  So yes I feel disappointed with my entertainment purchase due to my own personal experience with it.

It'd be like going to a movie that many people love.  You pay your ticket, and watch, and find it to be incredibly boring.  Should you be extremely happy that you paid 10 dollars to see a movie because other people enjoy it?

No you should be silly enough to pay and watch a movie that didn't fit your style.  You'll never see me go watch say a chick flick or a comedy at the theatre because I don't like those types of movies.  Same for MMO's, Id never pay to play something like Eve, FFXIV, or PS2 because none of those types of games interest me.  Sounds liek you live your life basing what others tell you what you might like and that is pretty damned sad.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i dont like how the OP question is planted so ill answer my own way. Im currently playing Planetside2. took a small break from GW2 and will come back soon. Also a friend of mine wants me to play WoW with her so ill play WoW as well (i do like wow just dont like the sub). I dont want to spend too much time gaming so PS2 will have to wait once i go back to both GW2 and WoW. Im a casual so i might end up playing small bits of all three of them here and there.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Don't feel like reading the entire thread, but I was curious if anyone has pointed out to the OP that the game is not free?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Yeah I dont understand these threads either. Is 15 dollars such a big deal to these players that they would play something they hate to avoid it?

It literally costs more to see 1 movie at the cinema where I live.

Also GW2 isnt free. You all paid for it, they just have a different financial model.   

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Guild Wars 2.

I've tried to play some WoW and LOTRO, but the quest hubs and slower combat makes those games boring as hell.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by lucasdeis

Football Manager.

Which I'm actually playing atm since GW2 kinda sucks once you're max level.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

Football Manager.

So much this.

Played a couple of hours after turing 80, logged off and never looked back.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Whoa since when is Guild Wars 2 free?

I feel like a fool for buying it.  Unrelated as that may be.

Not free...who ever said so is a dumbass. 

Yer a fool for buying it? What has the gaming industry come to? A fun game for  $40-$60...what a shame.

That'd be the OP.

See there's the problem.  To me it isn't fun.  So yes I feel disappointed with my entertainment purchase due to my own personal experience with it.

It'd be like going to a movie that many people love.  You pay your ticket, and watch, and find it to be incredibly boring.  Should you be extremely happy that you paid 10 dollars to see a movie because other people enjoy it?

No you should be silly enough to pay and watch a movie that didn't fit your style.  You'll never see me go watch say a chick flick or a comedy at the theatre because I don't like those types of movies.  Same for MMO's, Id never pay to play something like Eve, FFXIV, or PS2 because none of those types of games interest me.  Sounds liek you live your life basing what others tell you what you might like and that is pretty damned sad.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Draron
    Better question would be what game are you playing alongside GW2 since it has no subscription...

Not for me, many like me have seen just how crooked of a setup a monthly fee actually is. Take Blizzard for example. They keep doing things to their game to get more kids involved because they use the profits for this game for other things. That's right, none of the money actually poors back into WoW, it goes into D3, SC, Titan and the pockets of the execs.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Better question would be what game are you playing alongside GW2 since it has no subscription...

Not for me, many like me have seen just how crooked of a setup a monthly fee actually is. Take Blizzard for example. They keep doing things to their game to get more kids involved because they use the profits for this game for other things. That's right, none of the money actually poors back into WoW, it goes into D3, SC, Titan and the pockets of the execs.

Remember, this is how business works.  Do you think that the profits on any product or service that you purchase are flipped right back into making said product or service better?  The fact that work is being done on an MMORPG as seen through patches shows that some amount of revenue that would otherwise be profit is being spent on the game.  However, if it was expected that all profit be flipped back into making the game better, an MMORPG would be one of the worst investments one could make.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by itgrowls

How is this any different than every other company in the world? Profits are used as the company sees fit. R&D is almost always funded by profits from existing products.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    lantern and killion beat me to it.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Football Manager.

So much this.

May I question you on the highlighted part? If you had never looked back, why would you be posting here? Just curious...

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Since I stopped playing GW2..I'm not playing anything.
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Football Manager.

So much this.

May I question you on the highlighted part? If you had never looked back, why would you be posting here? Just curious...

100 bucks he either hasnt played it, or quit way before 80.  Troll post or dumb post, take your pick.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Football Manager.

So much this.

Just because you do not play a game anymore, you can still look at the forums.

I'm hoping some day, some refreshing arrives to GW2 that makes me want to play it again.

I still read WoW forums, because I had so many great times in World of Warcraft. But I do not play it anymore.

Originally posted by azzamasin

Football Manager.

So much this.

100 bucks he either hasnt played it, or quit way before 80.  Troll post or dumb post, take your pick.

http://imageshack.dk/imagesfree/5VT50386.jpg

Hey dumb troll, you owe me 100 bucks.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

For me the answer would be... "it's complicated".. :)

A little background... I'm in Venezuela, which means that because of some stupid currency exchange control laws, the government doesn't allow us to spend more than $400 a year online, if I were to try spend more than that, the credit card is automatically rejected (google CADIVI if you want more information)... and I just spent the last $30 of that allowance on some toys for my toddler, the rest of it went to computer parts to upgrade my PC, GW2 and TSW + a couple months of sub.

So, the first thing that picked my interest about GW2 was the lack of a monthly fee, but the more I read about it the more I started to think it was going to be a great game for me, and now a few months after release, I still think so. Thing is, if it had a sub fee, it might not have picked up my interest in the first place and might not be playing it. Assuming it had a sub fee and I had picked it:

If I had still money left from my allowance (which could be possible, if I planned on getting a sub game, I might have not spent the money for the sub from it), I'd definitively still be playing GW2. I don't have that much gaming time these days, and my highest character is level 73 with a couple others in the 30's and 40's, so still lots to do and lots of places to go to, and still having a blast, specially considering that there are whole aspects of the game (like WvW) that I loved in the betas and haven't done too much after release.

If I was in the same situation I'm now, no money left, and GW2 had a sub, well, of course I wouldn't be playing it. I'd probably be trying out SWTOR or Vanguard to see how much fun and how far I could go without paying anything, or maybe RaiderZ or Aion (or a bit of all of them).

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• manakanamanakana Member Posts: 75
    I'm not playing the game :)
  • CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    IMO there is not a single mmo worth playing now or in the near future and if GW2 keeps it up with the bugs and nurfing drops and ways of making money I will just quit mmos all together
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    GW2 IS free, and I STILL don't play it and prefer to pay a monthly fee for WoW. GW2 wasn't bad for 3 weeks or so, and while other games in the genre currently aren't much better, they still feel like they have more going for them currently that actually drives me to play.