Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Level 80, Now What?

Comments

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

I am having fun at 80.   I havn't finished the main story yet.  Plan on doing all of the story modes for the dungeons, followed by the explorable modes.

It's great to be able to get a lvl 1 character, hop into Spvp and see if it's something you would take to 80.  I enjoy the fact that relic drops, used to buy gear from dungeon vendors are account bound.  If I go dungeon hopping on my main, Engineer... all of those tokens can be used to gear out another class I take to 80.

I really think people don't know what they want in an MMO.  When you have the WoW approach, people complain that they're getting one shotted by people with the best raid gear and they can never catch up.  When GW2 creates a system where everyone is equal, gear wise in pvp, and your skill gets you the best looking armor, people complain there is no progression.

Guess what, When i get my full dungeon set from Citadel of Fire, I looked bad ass even though my stats were only marginally better.  But, I looked bad ass and that made it worth it.  The content remained challanging but I looked better in the process.

If you take what GW2 is offering, I think most will enjoy it.  Some people are too used to the carrot on a stick approach with constant raiding following by constant raiding just ot feel validated.  As someone with a family and a career, GW2 is a no hassle and no regrets type of mmo that fits nicely into my life.  

I can play for 3 months then stop for another 3.  When I come back, I know it won't take me months to catch up.  I can hop on and feel "equal" in skill, but not look as cool.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Back to the she old question.. What is too fast or too slow level progression.. My personal take on GW2 leveling is that it's fast almost as fast as wow BUT as i'm sure most know you can go back and do past stuff you miss.

The thing is make leveling too slow the greater portion complains, make it too fast the person who had more free time reaches level cap fastest and then some from the greater portion still complains, how is it they can't reach cap as fast, so it must be made faster..
    Also the trend in todays mmo market is not to make it slow because person a quick to move on if leveling is dragged out..
    I got three 80's and accomplish all I set out to do, so its $60 well spent.. But the feeling to log in isn't there, maybe because there is no sub where I would feel the need to justify paying $15 a month, whatever the case i'm waiting for the next big mmo to try out..
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

When you exclude pvp:

GW2.SinglePlayerRPG=True

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by AI724

"After max level in Guild Wars, skills helped you progress your characters abilities, but for Guild Wars 2 there's nothing in place for this feeling of progression."

Totally agree!

I really miss the skills progression in GW1, after all... this was what kept me playing the game thru out the years. When I finished and maxed out everything with one character, I created new characters just to explore the skills for each one of them and man, there were lots and lots to explore and it was very interesting. I often find myself spending hours trying to learn the skills and builds and test them out for each professions. But in GW2, this part is misising...why..oh why...? 

Arenanet, please do something about this.

I would agree too but to a certain extend. Sure the skill progression of GW1 was pretty cool but it also became boring really quickly IMO. It was fun to chase certain mobs to get their elite skills and unlock some new normal ones, but out of the thousands of skills that you could unlock, only a few were good/interesting. A good number of skills in GW1 were never used whatsoever. A lot of the skills were also just plain bad and useless. So yeah its cool to have access to thousands of skills but when the balance between all those wasn't really good and that a good number of skills were never used, I don't see the point of having so many skills to choose from.

• DarkOmegaDarkOmega Member Posts: 28
    At level 80 you beat the game and if you like repeating most of what you did the first time then you can roll another class otherwise go play something else. There is meaningless pvp though if your into that sort of thing.
  • zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Are the few that remain in Guild Wars 2 still in denial about the whole 'Get to max level in a couple weeks, then PvP forever and ever" as the summary of the game...?

It is pretty fun to see people go from "Best game ever, going to revolutionize everything!!!"  to "Oh yeah, guild wars 2...well......PvP got old fast and there isn't much anything to do..."

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

When people ask what there is to do at the level cap, what they usually mean is more like.. What can I do that will still be rewarding?  What kind of goals can I set, that will help motivate me to keep playing?  How can I keep my character progressing, in some way?

This does not just have to be a gear grind.  There are all sorts of ways to go, if devs just put a little creativity into it, but it needs to be something.  Something worthwhile, even to people that aren't completionists.

This is where so many MMOs get it wrong.  Most players aren't happy just screwing around, grinding their asses off for achievements and cosmetic items.  Those are just nice little side bonuses, when playing for bigger reasons.  but when you get to endgame, and that's all that's left?  People are going to say there is no endgame.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Paulolino34Paulolino34 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    If everyone here had played the first Guild Wars, the posts would be completly different.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Wow, break your own manifesto, create a gap and fill it with the very gear treadmill you say won't be in there ever, and make almost all the drops of worth come out of the same dungeon and they STILL all say the same thing.

Well hope they learned their lesson when it comes to listening to the dungeoneer gear treadmill elitist jerks, meanwhile, I'll be expecting the new content where they return us back to the original design and enjoying it all the way. Thanks Chris for taking us back to horizontal progression and ignoring this minority.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle
    Originally posted by botrytis

i would love for GW2 to have a housing system in place. being able to craft up items for housing would make crafting worth while, while at the same time giving us something to do. making large scale guild housing would be amazing as well.

i put in about 600 hours over 8 toons and have a hard time logging in now. there just isn't enough content to keep me playing like i would in other mmos. i'm not saying i wasted the 60$ i spent on the game (great price for that much quality gametime), but i do wish they would add more content to the game and soon.

once you hit cap, hit 100% map, get your gear sets and legendary, all we can really do now is sPvP, WvW, and fractal and achiev farming (lame). the thing that really sucks for me is i'm having a really hard time playing other games from being spoiled in GW2. the quality of life and normal features in the game have made is so i'm not enjoying my time in my normal games i've been playing. every game i normally play just feels very old and out dated to me now and that's really frusterating. i almost wish i had never played GW2 because of this.

600 hours in 3 months? that is 6-7 hours a day every day. No wonder why you are burned out.

didn't say i was burned out, just nothin to do in game. i have zero reason to run 5 mans as i don't need the gear. the fractals were cool, but not something fun to farm over and over and over. can only do so much WvW and sPvP.

i was blown up in iraq. spine is jacked up and prevents me from moving so i tend to play a lot of mmos. during those 600 hours i split my time up between a few different games (console and online), tv/movies. it wasn't like i rocked 600 hours strait with no sleep or anything.

900+ hours here :D Yes, i have no life. Stay at home dad, babies dont do much, and t.v. makes me feel more stupid with each channel of stupid i flip through.

some of it was standing either in LA overnight so i didnt get overflowed when i wanted to craft (WvW bonuses) or standing two feet from arah's gate overnight so i could form a party and head in whenever i wanted. 7 level 80's and one gift short of a legendary to show for it :D

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• zephyr88zephyr88 Member Posts: 9

it is way too delightful to see gw2 fanboys great expectations falling apart when reaching max level and discovering the awful truth about a game that even old gw fans were doubtful about: this game is a hybrid a mixture of everything and nothing.

it has almost no vertical progression but in the end..you have some...but its not enough to keep ex wow players there;on the other hand the same bit of vertical progression along with the lack of skill progression its what is scaring off old gw fans,then you have 80 levels  to gain instead of 20 as the old gw1 : now please dont even try saying that those 80 levels are needed for developing some very predictable and boring stories which are a bad impression of swtor stories.

im not a hater of gw2 but honestly i laughed when i've read ppl on the forums talking about  "revolution in questing! there wont be a system where you bring x apples to y guy and get a reward" cause let's face it,you have to get those 80 levels as much as wow by what? the very poor number of quests consist in bring x apples to y guy but wait a moment you have dynamic events..which are 3-4 per zone and you have to repeat them all forever to ding,so we actually got LESS stuff to do and more repetitive!and you can bring 6 toons to 80 without saying a word to anyone as you'd do in a single player rpg because they didnt think of that aspect when mixing all that bunch of stuff together! what a brilliant piece of revolution we have here!

this game is a mixture of ideas,features and mechanics copied from other games with a pale and poor memory of the old gw.this bunch of unrefined ideas was thrown into a game that in the end,is so full of  confused stuff that feels empty. examples are there for everyone to see.

i'd close this post by linking the video of  the black woman in hindsight from the family guy,but it would feel too shaming for the first line of  gw2 enthusiasts

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

First off...I'd like to point to the morons calling "fanboys". STFU and stop posting if you feel that calling people "fanboy", "carebear". or any other ass hat term you small minded people can come up with.

Second....Level 80 and "now what"?

get a life and/or a tan

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Got my warrior to 80.  Immediately created an ele alt.  Got to about 65 with her.  Stopped playing.  Became extremely bored doing the same thing over and over for a story I could give two poops about.

Back to playing SWTOR.  Back to playing with the trinity.....and loving it. :)

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

lol, im surprised it took 3 months for the author to make this article

i started asking "what now?" since the first 2 week of release

So What Now?

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Nevulus

As usual, another MMO company caters to the "ez-mode" crowd and make the game too easy to level up. Even the casual player hit max way too soon. 

First poster is correct.

When levelling isn't the point of the game (at least not as much important as in other games of its kind), you guys are looking at it the wrong way.

Getting to 80 isn't really a benchmark in this game. Anyone should have seen it the moment they realize they can do lots of stuff at level 2 than a same leveled player in WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera, Rift, etc.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by nuttob
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase!  If a sense of progression is the only thing that lets you enjoy a game, then you should be playing WOW and not GW2...

That's just not accurate.  It's an MMORPG, therefore Progression is one of the MAIN game systems/designs that makes an MMORPG.  It also is the main avenue of having LONGEVITY in any MMORPG.  This game is lacking Longevity in massive doses.  There is no Meta-Game with GW2.  While GW1 annoyed me with the lobby based mission hubs and instanced zones they at least got the longevity part down right and there was a ton of Meta-gaming to be done on skill builds alone.

• BlueSage13BlueSage13 Member Posts: 22

i would love for GW2 to have a housing system in place. being able to craft up items for housing would make crafting worth while, while at the same time giving us something to do. making large scale guild housing would be amazing as well.

i put in about 600 hours over 8 toons and have a hard time logging in now. there just isn't enough content to keep me playing like i would in other mmos. i'm not saying i wasted the 60$ i spent on the game (great price for that much quality gametime), but i do wish they would add more content to the game and soon.

once you hit cap, hit 100% map, get your gear sets and legendary, all we can really do now is sPvP, WvW, and fractal and achiev farming (lame). the thing that really sucks for me is i'm having a really hard time playing other games from being spoiled in GW2. the quality of life and normal features in the game have made is so i'm not enjoying my time in my normal games i've been playing. every game i normally play just feels very old and out dated to me now and that's really frusterating. i almost wish i had never played GW2 because of this.

600 hours in 3 months? that is 6-7 hours a day every day. No wonder why you are burned out.

didn't say i was burned out, just nothin to do in game. i have zero reason to run 5 mans as i don't need the gear. the fractals were cool, but not something fun to farm over and over and over. can only do so much WvW and sPvP.

i was blown up in iraq. spine is jacked up and prevents me from moving so i tend to play a lot of mmos. during those 600 hours i split my time up between a few different games (console and online), tv/movies. it wasn't like i rocked 600 hours strait with no sleep or anything.

My god that would suck. I have casual outings 2 or 3 times a week. I couldn't imagine no life but MMOs. I get an MMO to escape the boredom that is the DoD. I couldn't imagine...sitting in front of the laptop all day sunday or saturday. Too many other lucrative options.

Sorry you got blown up. I couldn't live with myself. I have to get out and have some casual outings every once in a while...experience life...not tech.

www.thedragon13.com - Become a Dragon. What have you done to change our world?

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by grimal

Got my warrior to 80.  Immediately created an ele alt.  Got to about 65 with her.  Stopped playing.  Became extremely bored doing the same thing over and over for a story I could give two poops about.

Back to playing SWTOR.  Back to playing with the trinity.....and loving it. :)

While I wouldn't tout SWTOR as being worth going back to over any other game(extreme lack of diversity in leveling) you have a point about the trinity.  I thought I would enjoy the gameplay GW2 brought to the table with parties and no true tank/healers but quickly found I hated it and wanted trinity gameplay asap, especially in dungeons.  Trinity gameplay just allows one to focus build characters more and feel like they are contributing to the group.  In GW2's current form I feel lost half the time and useless the other half, mostly as I'm running back mid fight 5 times on 1 boss along with other members of the party just to take the next party members spot as he dies to the that same boss and does the death run back to us and repeats ad nauseum until the boss is dead.  Yeah, it's just dumb and doesn't really work.

• skeezixsskeezixs Member Posts: 66
    This is the flaw of every mmo since wow. It is all so fast paced it is ridiculous. I miss spending hours on low level content. Having a single fight last more then a couple seconds. Nice long epic fights where you just barely survive gave the game a epic feel. More newby zones with rich story developement. Also another thing that most games just cannot figure out is people hate cookie cutter games. More character options the better. The more choices we can take with our characters the more they will mean to us than just an other X class and class with the best gear for that level. Why do they think that we want to play a characters that all seem to be the same. Just saying if they dont start listening and stop trying to copy wow's success the industry will end up dieing. 
  • BurninatorXBurninatorX Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by nuttob
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase!  If a sense of progression is the only thing that lets you enjoy a game, then you should be playing WOW and not GW2...

That's just not accurate.  It's an MMORPG, therefore Progression is one of the MAIN game systems/designs that makes an MMORPG.  It also is the main avenue of having LONGEVITY in any MMORPG.  This game is lacking Longevity in massive doses.  There is no Meta-Game with GW2.  While GW1 annoyed me with the lobby based mission hubs and instanced zones they at least got the longevity part down right and there was a ton of Meta-gaming to be done on skill builds alone.

Is that so? I always thought what makes it an MMORPG was it being an Online Role Playing Game that is Massively Multiplayer. Weird... its almost as if thats what the letters stand for too. The definition of an MMORPG is VERY broad, the elements that set it in that genre are minimal. If Borderlands were massively multiplayer and online-only, it would be an mmorpg. Camera view, linearity, combat, longevity, setting, controls, crafting, gear progression, etc. wouldn't change the fact that it would be an rpg that would be massively multiplayer online.

nuttob is right, if you don't like it don't play it. Just don't try to say there is a right way and a wrong way to make or play a game, as that is 100% based on opinion. In fact, your logic of "this is what it needs and what should be because that is the norm and what I'm used to." is a huge (if not the biggest) reason why there are so few games of the genre willing/trying to branch out, try new things, or innovate.

• BurninatorXBurninatorX Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    Originally posted by orbitxo
    Originally posted by NBlitz

So basically, same shiitake mushrooms you can do in any other MMO.

..but better graphics

Highly subjective.

Not at all subjective. Graphic quality is based on technical limits and power of processing the visuals. You're mistaking graphic quality with aesthetic or art-style, which is as you said highly subjective. How good the graphics are, on the other hand, is based on facts and numbers. I doubt you are going to argue that math is based on opinion as well.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Nowadays there are so many good games out there theat I as altholic have no problem to migrate to another game when leveled all my alts to max. Once enjoyed a lot 5man's in wotlk era. That joy was killed with cata and lost all interest. No need. After I'm done with all my 11 alts (+ few from horde side) will have just to select which one will be next, Rift, Gw2, swtor, ....
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Level 80 now what ? Um...... World of warcraft Mist of Pandaria that's what. Sad for some but true.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Nevulus

As usual, another MMO company caters to the "ez-mode" crowd and make the game too easy to level up. Even the casual player hit max way too soon. 

First poster is correct.

As usual, a person who has not played the game talking about things he knows not. I have one character at lvl 80 and that is at 200 hrs or so - that is NOT too soon. How long would you like it to take? A.Net just made leveling linear not logirthmic like most games.

Saying you put in 200 hours doesn't say much. 200 hours doing what? Were you focused on leveling, or were you doing other things? Did you spend time helping others out and such?

Certainly whatever way you played works for you so long as you enjoyed it. But saying "It took me 200 hours to hit level 80 therefor your argument is wrong" is kinda moot, considering not everyone plays the same way. Someone for whom progression is their favorite part of the game is going to level in less time than someone for whom more social or side activity is preferred.

People have this bad habit of comparing all other play styles against their own, as though it's some standard for all else to be held to. It's not.

If someone enjoys the sense of constant progression, and they're hitting level cap far more quickly (which, let's face it, many have), then that could very well be an issue for them.

And anyway, to have reached level cap in 200 hours is not a very long time for a MMO, which are ideally designed to last for years. Some people can knock out 200 hours in less than 1 to 1.5 months.

This is another problem with MMORPGs these days, they're not designed for longevity anymore. They're designed more like glorified single player games where you race through them, get through end game, get bored, and move on.

Worse, people seem to expect them to be that. When I see people saying things like, "You wouldn't get more than a couple weeks out of most single player games, so getting even a month from a MMO is already a good deal", I just shake my head. Comparing a game that is traditionally, by design, intended to last many months, or even years, against a game that might last 50 hours, if you're lucky, is the wrong way to look at it. MMOs are long-distance marathons to some remote landscape, not short-distance sprints to some finish line.

A MMO that you can "finish" in a month or two is shallow and incomplete.

And please, no one come back with the typical hyperbolic retort about "people living in their mothers' basement grinding every day for a year" as a counter-argument. That's not a valid retort and it's rarely (if ever) even close to accurate.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by BlueSage13

My god that would suck. I have casual outings 2 or 3 times a week. I couldn't imagine no life but MMOs. I get an MMO to escape the boredom that is the DoD. I couldn't imagine...sitting in front of the laptop all day sunday or saturday. Too many other lucrative options.

Sorry you got blown up. I couldn't live with myself. I have to get out and have some casual outings every once in a while...experience life...not tech.

Really?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/tact