Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long...

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Worfi
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    Playing SWTOR F2P version is almost unplayable even casually playing it......

This is maybe truth but look at that this way: You pay 15$, you get unlimited access for 1 month, cartel points and prefered status. IMHO that is a lot of solid game content for that price. Read GW 2 forums. The biggest argument for GW2 was - "I don't play it annymore but it was worth 60$" (i actually never get that point because you get free month with every sub MMO too and most people played GW2 less than that). 

At the end you get to try the game for free and if you don't like it don't play it. If you like it you'll get game without box price.

STO is probably the most free-est F2P ever. I have a LT account and a free account (after being subbed for few months), and can not tell the difference between them much. Both accounts can access a lot of the same stuff. The only thing that highlights the free account being free is the limted char slots and inventory/bank space.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by TeknoBug   Originally posted by Sevenstar61 Originally posted by superniceguy Originally posted by Sevenstar61  
    Majority of people who sub are not even considering moving to F2P. Like somebody said, the population that is right now in SWTOR are people who like/love the game and are going to continue to play.  
    Those statments will only be true after a few months. Those who started with F2P, the shine has not wore off yet, it has only been a couple of weeks If the game had just launched that would be a cocky thing for me to say, but considering that is exactly what happened a few months after launch, and nothing has been added to the game to keep players playing, then the same will happen again. Although there may be more people playing but they will move to F2P. If they do not move to F2P then they will just simply quit. History has proven this to be the case. F2P will only temporarily boost population, but plenty of new content will boost population long term, and it is not getting enough content.
    Subs are up. There is no question about it. Just go to the SWTOR forum and look at skyrocket increase of troll threads comparing to before F2P. You can only post if you are subbed, and increase is like 20x maybe more.... I think it's the most reliable proof of increase in subs LMAO
    In order to obtain the "earned" Cartel coins, you have to sub. I think that's what most of the people did.  
    Also changes to the game make people post. Until the NGE I hardly posted on the SWG forums

If not enough people post on forums = "People too busy enjoying game to post". If an increasie in posts = "it's the most reliable proof of increase in subs " Not really!

I rarely posted ont he SWG forums before the NGE, if I remember correctly I only had 28 posts prior to NGE, after the NGE I posted an awful lot, somewhere around 8K posts?

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

This is maybe truth but look at that this way: You pay 15$, you get unlimited access for 1 month, cartel points and prefered status. IMHO that is a lot of solid game content for that price. Read GW 2 forums. The biggest argument for GW2 was - "I don't play it annymore but it was worth 60$" (i actually never get that point because you get free month with every sub MMO too and most people played GW2 less than that). 

At the end you get to try the game for free and if you don't like it don't play it. If you like it you'll get game without box price.

$60 = GW2 or four months sub of TOR.

The latter is a much better deal. 

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

[quote]Originally posted by Worfi
    [b]

Originally posted by Jonoku The biggest argument for GW2 was - "I don't play it annymore but it was worth 60$" (i actually never get that point because you get free month with every sub MMO too and most people played GW2 less than that). 

GW2 is still packed as ever, everytime I log into Lion's Arch or some zones, I get booted to overflow.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by Xirik

Do people Really believe when a guy says "my friend who works there says"  that he is telling the truth? How many times have people used that on this website.

I won't debate anymore on how big the sub base is as none of us will really know how small or large the sub base is till they feel like releasing some numbers.

What I will say is that There are lots of people ingame that I know that spent $100 to $200 on cartel packs and items. and there were people on the swtor forums saying the same thing. I don't know how anyone could say that the ftp/cartel shop is a failure like the poster above.

I will now give you HATORZ a knock out punch.

Warhammer online is still running which I believe we can all agree has a smaller player base. Until that game is shutdown SWTOR is safe.

Masonic1 also sent me a private message accusing me for marketing for money for EA LOL.

In his opinion any positive comments about SWTOR comes from EA employee.

Yesterday on The Ebon Hawk at 2 AM at night EST there were still 2 fleet instances. Server is packed with people. Judging from general chat F2P enjoy the game. The only negative comments I saw were about F2P restrictions, not about quality of game.  Not sure how many subs moved to F2P status, but not many. I am getting 800 CC every month and that is lowering my sub cost to 5 bucks a month. Why would I want to move to restricted F2P. Majority of people who sub are not even considering moving to F2P.

Like somebody said, the population that is right now in SWTOR are people who like/love the game and are going to continue to play.

I must ask, how are you subbing for 5 bucks a month.  That seems like a great price if you like the game. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by MMOman101
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Do people Really believe when a guy says "my friend who works there says"  that he is telling the truth? How many times have people used that on this website.

I won't debate anymore on how big the sub base is as none of us will really know how small or large the sub base is till they feel like releasing some numbers.

What I will say is that There are lots of people ingame that I know that spent $100 to $200 on cartel packs and items. and there were people on the swtor forums saying the same thing. I don't know how anyone could say that the ftp/cartel shop is a failure like the poster above.

I will now give you HATORZ a knock out punch.

Warhammer online is still running which I believe we can all agree has a smaller player base. Until that game is shutdown SWTOR is safe.

Masonic1 also sent me a private message accusing me for marketing for money for EA LOL.

In his opinion any positive comments about SWTOR comes from EA employee.

Yesterday on The Ebon Hawk at 2 AM at night EST there were still 2 fleet instances. Server is packed with people. Judging from general chat F2P enjoy the game. The only negative comments I saw were about F2P restrictions, not about quality of game.  Not sure how many subs moved to F2P status, but not many. I am getting 800 CC every month and that is lowering my sub cost to 5 bucks a month. Why would I want to move to restricted F2P. Majority of people who sub are not even considering moving to F2P.

Like somebody said, the population that is right now in SWTOR are people who like/love the game and are going to continue to play.

I must ask, how are you subbing for 5 bucks a month.  That seems like a great price if you like the game. 

It's not really sub for 5 bucks but it's equivalent considering CC. That's why the sub is a really good deal for me.

Here is calcilation:

Subsctiption: $12.99 a month (6-month reoccuring)

600 CC for 6-month sub

100 CC for security key (got it with CE edition - it is available for $4.99)

100 CC for Invite a friend reward

In all - I am getting 800 CC which is equivalent of roughly $8.

$12.99 - 8 = ~ $5

Things that I got for my CC (excluding cartel packs - these are evil): rocket boots, HK-51 unlock for all my companions, operation training dummy, field respec, field repair, crafting skills) etc... these cost a lot of credits and I am always short as alts are very demanding on cash LOL.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by grimal

$60 = GW2 or four months sub of TOR or infinite play time of STO and $60 still in the bank

The latter is a much better deal

$60 = GW2 or four months sub of TOR or infinite play time of STO and $60 still in the bank

I tried STO, as I love the movies, but could not stand if for more than 5 minutes LOL. Sorry, no more reading quests for me and character manimation was blah. I guess I am spoiled. Uninstalled.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Since its the second largest Sub based MMO probably a very long time. Meridian is still alive so is EQ. I really don't understand how people think Swtor is going to die.  They aren't bleeding out subs anymore and are stable around 500k-750k subs.  They found a base that likes this game.

just because its not the game you wanted it to be doesn't mean it should die. Thats a VERY childlike mindset.

Since 500-799k would be well above their quoted 300-500k required they wouldn't have need to go f2p.  Before going f2p torstatus had roughly the same server stats as rift probably putting it much closer to 100k.  Only question really is wether or not they were below their operating costs before or after the 6 month bundles ended.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Devvholic
    How long do you expect this game to last for? Does it have a bright future or will it die in the next year?

Will probably keep it going for as lng as possible to recoup as much of the losses sustained as they can.

Originally posted by Karahandras

Since its the second largest Sub based MMO probably a very long time. Meridian is still alive so is EQ. I really don't understand how people think Swtor is going to die.  They aren't bleeding out subs anymore and are stable around 500k-750k subs.  They found a base that likes this game.

just because its not the game you wanted it to be doesn't mean it should die. Thats a VERY childlike mindset.

Since 500-799k would be well above their quoted 300-500k required they wouldn't have need to go f2p.  Before going f2p torstatus had roughly the same server stats as rift probably putting it much closer to 100k.  Only question really is wether or not they were below their operating costs before or after the 6 month bundles ended.

I don't think this statement is correct.  I looked lately at rift population on servers and there are only 3 servers in US and 3 in EU that have decent population after SoL was launched.  SWTOR before F2P had heavy or very heavy on most of servers with exception of  PvP servers and Oceanic.

But, you see, SW > ST.

• Darklotus79Darklotus79 Member Posts: 61

Look at WAR....That game is so dead I dont even know why Its still around. Its like kcking a dead horse.

SWTOR will be around for years.

How long do you expect this game to last for? Does it have a bright future or will it die in the next year?

Will probably keep it going for as lng as possible to recoup as much of the losses sustained as they can.

Not if the losses keep escalating due to not enough subs and not enough shop spending. i do not see how they will make a profit if they can not get their 500K subs

Not if the losses keep escalating due to not enough subs and not enough shop spending. i do not see how they will make a profit if they can not get their 500K subs

It's a long term investment at this point.  I don't see them just shutting down this game.

But, you see, SW > ST.

Maybe but STO space > SWTOR space

STO is worth the sub, SWTOR is not, SWG is worth 100s of subs

Playing KOTOR repeatedly is more enjoyable than SWTOR

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    At launch they said 200k is enough to be profitable.....

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

But, you see, SW > ST.

I haven't tried STO yet.

But I like SWTOR quite a bit.

I did not really care for SWG all that much.   I still played because it was Star Wars and I had friends playing, but after the friends left, the game became very very very boring.

SWTOR is not boring for me.  It is worth the sub.

At launch they said 200k is enough to be profitable.....

In Aug 2012, along with the details of F2P, they said:

The President of EA Labels Frank Gibeau said the Star Wars game would still break even so long as it maintained 500,000 subscribers, but admitted that its current performance was "not good enough".

With  F2P being succesful with other MMOs, they are hoping to get that with subs and F2P purchasing. It is the reason why it went F2P, the game was tanking hard and had no time left to add content, to try and attract players back, so called for drastic measures - F2P

Well I guess they exaggerated the numbers to be "profitable." Like they exaggerated everything else in their advertisements.

For example: "Oh yea, wait until you get to llum, great open world PvP." *Everyone gets there and laughs and unsubscribes*

Exaggeration must of played a role in false advertising some info or have no knowledge in gaming and just throwing out there whatever "positive" to say.

Well I guess they exaggerated the numbers to be "profitable." Like they exaggerated everything else in their advertisements.

For example: "Oh yea, wait until you get to llum, great open world PvP." *Everyone gets there and laughs and unsubscribes*

Exaggeration must of played a role in false advertising some info.

Every company exaggerates their numbers.  You have to take everything with a grain of salt.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

But, you see, SW > ST.

No it is not.  Both Swtor and STO are not even worth playing, not even talking about sub.

If it wasn't for the star wars skin, none of my friends nor I would buy the game at launch. So basically take star wars skin off and lucasarts.......SWTOR won't last.

Originally posted by fenistil

But, you see, SW > ST.

No it is not.  Both Swtor and STO are not even worth playing, not even talking about sub.

That is a matter of opinion of any MMO, but STO is more worthy to be called a MMO than SWTOR is, which is like a single player game (especially the space game), and you do not sub to single player games.

Originally posted by fenistil

But, you see, SW > ST.

That is a matter of opinion of any MMO, but STO is more worthy to be called a MMO than SWTOR is, which is like a single player game (especially the space game), and you do not sub to single player games.

space game is a minigame inside of SWTOR imo. SWTOR has all other aspects of MMo, unless you choose to play it solo. But that is your choice.

Edit: People who say SWTOR is a single player game, overlook it's MMO aspect. This is a great game to group, you just have to do it.