Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any FTP titles worth checking out?

surfer88surfer88 Member Posts: 33
just tried DDO but i couldnt get back into it. looking for something i wont have to put a lot of money into(max i can spend is about $40) want to have the traditional MMO feel as i have played GW2 and it doesnt suite me anymore. Heard LOTRO was getting quality of life changes. how are those? any game that has a good community with a major in english language preferred. i dont mind soloing but i do like to dungeon crawl with groups or raid. thanks :)

Comments

• joonkp1976joonkp1976 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by surfer88
    just tried DDO but i couldnt get back into it. looking for something i wont have to put a lot of money into(max i can spend is about $40) want to have the traditional MMO feel as i have played GW2 and it doesnt suite me anymore. Heard LOTRO was getting quality of life changes. how are those? any game that has a good community with a major in english language preferred. i dont mind soloing but i do like to dungeon crawl with groups or raid. thanks :)

AION, AION, AION, you need AION in your life if you are looking for free to play MMORPG...

• surfer88surfer88 Member Posts: 33
    are you trolling me? heard Aion was korean based and not very westernized...
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Only F2P's that held my interest (besides Glitch which is shutting down) was Mabinogi and Vindictus. devCat can make some nice games. Neither is the traditional MMO though, far from it. Can't really reccomend one of those as it seems the typical themepark model + f2p = cash grab for endgame.

Since they're free, go ahead and try them. I've heard good things about LoTRO and it's community, but haven't played it myself.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Check SWTOR, F2P for new players is restrictive, but if you purchase one little thing for 4.99 you get preferred status which makes life much easier.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I am waiting for Marvel Heroes. You can play marvel super heroes, in diablo style combats. A super fun idea to me. And better yet, it is f2p so i don't even need to commit money to it.
  • NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

EQ2 and LoTRO both have nice f2p models, there is always AoC also.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I'll second Aion, though I haven't played it recently.

Vanguard is also worth giving a shot, and Planetside 2 just came out if you like shooters.

• Consti2tionConsti2tion Member UncommonPosts: 20

I'd have To say out of the current suggestions, LoTRO is going to be your best bet. The game may not be 100% F2P ( as you still have to pay for expansion content and certain quest packs) If you get at least 1 month of VIP you Remove quite a lot of restrictions. ( Gold Cap removed, 5 character slots per server,( 3 slots once your VIP ends) 6 bags (inventory bags)  you can do a quest at lvl 18 to unlock the riding skill, and a few other things i'm probably forgetting. Each of those bonuses gets unlocked for every character you make during your VIP time as well. For the month you'll also get 500 TP.

As VIP you'll have access to all Zones/quests but 1 month is insiginificant as you'll still be doing the Shadows of Angmar story during that time, which is why i recommend spending your money on the Mines of Moria Expansion ( If you do it via Turbine points you'll permanently unlock 2 more character slots thus giving you 5 permanent character slots).

As you play the game and complete ' Achievements' you will earn Turbine points as well. So In theory you can technically play the game and never pay for any of the content your self and just earn the free TP ( which you will earn the same points over again on each character so if you are an Altaholic you can make free TP pretty fast for basic stuff)

Most players ( like my self) don't wait till lvl 18 to get the riding skill when on VIP status because its only 95TP which is super easy to earn in the first day of playing.

And if you like the game by the time your character/s are ready for the content after Mines of Moria ( provided you purchase that expansion ) you'll probably want and be able to purchase The Rise of Isenguard expansion and then the Riders of Rohan.

• Darklotus79Darklotus79 Member Posts: 61

Aion is currently the best in the f2p market atm.  You get a AAA title game that is pretty much completly free to play. Anything you need you can get in game without paying actual money. The cash shop is full of cosmetics and other crap that you dont really need to enjoy the game. Yes it is an asian game with a western style theme. I actually played It for a long time and normally I hate asian style games.

RaiderZ is what I am currently playing and I got to say Its quite fun. Its more of a casual style game but It will entertain you for a few weeks anyway.

Alot of people enjoy LOTRO ,but i find it quite dull and boring. Same with DDO.

You want a AAA game with lots of content that you dont want to spend alot of money on then Aion is it.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Ones to try:

• LOTRO (lots of content, beautiful world, good community)
    • AOC (many improvements since launch and great storyline)
    • Vanguard (old school feel, and lots to do)

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I also have to go wtih Aion if you looking for a themepark type mmo. Game is totally Free To Play with no restrictions on anything and it also gets more content updates then any other Free To Play game out there. If you looking for something a little different then try my favorite Free To Play which is Lineage 2. Also totally free to play like Aion and gets a major content update about every 6 months.
  • dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

You can try SWTOR (which i am playing cassually atm, and i am actually having a nice time with story and all), Vanguard or Everquest.

On the other hand, sign up for "Neverwinter" Beta which is about in couple of months and there is a huge chance you will get invited (i got invited about in 9 out of 10 beta tests of PW games). If you dont want to play beta, however, game will be released some time early next year and will be worth of waiting imo (unless PW screw things up in late game as they usually can).

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• tuneinwilltuneinwill Member UncommonPosts: 12

I like the Sony titles:

Everquest

Everquest II

Vanguard

All of them are good, but you must accept the old school feel of them. 

• joonkp1976joonkp1976 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by dzoni87

You can try SWTOR (which i am playing cassually atm, and i am actually having a nice time with story and all), Vanguard or Everquest.

On the other hand, sign up for "Neverwinter" Beta which is about in couple of months and there is a huge chance you will get invited (i got invited about in 9 out of 10 beta tests of PW games). If you dont want to play beta, however, game will be released some time early next year and will be worth of waiting imo (unless PW screw things up in late game as they usually can).

SWTOR has godlike movies, funny graphics and too much audio to make the whole 25 holy giga bytes of data a bunk title...  It is still good if you like audio, voice acting for quests infomation and dialogues but that is why I quit playing SWTOR and now playing Rift and AION...  Enjoy good gaming, foks~!

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    It is old now, but EQ1.  Best game I ever played.  Unfortunately, it will never be the same.  Still better than 99% of games out right now.

• VendettaDFAVendettaDFA Member Posts: 72

Aion is head and shoulders above the rest for content and gameplay.The character creation section is just amazing. You could spend a couple hours just designing your character.

I will say another worth a shot is Allods. Haven't played real deep into it and have heard a little grumbling on the cash shop, but it hasn't affected me yet.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Vanguard has the best non-instanced dungeons i have ever seen in an mmo.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

i think the best combat mmo on the market right now thats western is AOC but its a pretty shady f2p nickle and diming you .

Story i think would go to swtor free to play but you will have to pay money to unlock action bars past two and doing their dungeons or warfronts weekly so its kinda shady also but its a great story if you like star wars lore.

EQ2 and LOTR online are both also pretty decent free to play titles but they are very dated in terms of gameplay IMO though the next lotr online patch is really awesome quality of life improvements.

Aion is WAY to eastern for me and the combat is clunky and slow so i cannot agree that aion is a great title myself but thats just my opinion.

Vanguard is also f2p and a pretty old school game with forced grouping for some things and harsher combat systems and huge world. If you want a long term commitment game id say give vanguard a try , the free to play is just like EQ2 though as SOE runs it also.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

Clearly AION has the best ftp plan imo... Of course its not a game for all to love...I never loved it but i could be seeing myself paying a few bucks just to get the pvp going(since pvp xp gain is the only thing restricted when ftp)

On the other hand AOC is an amzing game with the WORST FTP PLAN IN HUMAN HISTORY

Dc Universe is not bad once you spend 5$ in it...

And for 26.95$ you could play MINECRAFT forever....   :)

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by pupurun

Clearly AION has the best ftp plan imo... Of course its not a game for all to love...I never loved it but i could be seeing myself paying a few bucks just to get the pvp going(since pvp xp gain is the only thing restricted when ftp)

On the other hand AOC is an amzing game with the WORST FTP PLAN IN HUMAN HISTORY

Dc Universe is not bad once you spend 5$ in it...

And for 26.95$ you could play MINECRAFT forever....   :)

this is how i feel as well about AOC , i think its an awesome title for part time playing , but ill be damned if im going to be nickle and dimes to death to play it . Its sad really as funcom is seriously idiots IMO they are already losing subs for TSW and AOC is just about dead , yet they still keep the most restrictive free to play of all time. Really REALLY stupid business decisions.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    I suggest you to give Lineage 2 a go. I would still play it, but for some reason that damn nc launcher won't patch te game...

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• surfer88surfer88 Member Posts: 33
    wow thanks for all the input guys i really wasnt expecting this much... and i loved EQ when i played it back in  the day but i feel i would be too behind to catch up... thats another thing im looking for. i would prefer to play a game with free expansions or too new to have expansion or maybe 1 or 2. i will be downloading Aion and Lineage 2 tonight while i sleep. :)
  • purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

Below are some of the best games I have played or still do play and all are worth a try.

MMORPG:

Star Wars: The Old Republic

DC Universe Online

RaiderZ

Star Trek Online

Champions Online

Lord of the Rings Online

Age of Conan

Firefall

Global Agenda

Aion

MMOFPS/TPS:

Team Fortress 2

Battlefield Heroes

Planetside 2 (If you can run it.)

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

Aion, best FTP policy going and an awesome game to boot.

There development has been FURIOUS since going FTP if you like an MMO with amazing fast pvp you cant go wrong.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Wizardry online, coming soon. SOE's dragging their feet and not communicating with Closed beta testers though. I'm actually here because I need something to play while I wait for it's release.