Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] General: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition: Isometric Filled Charms

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Many RPG fans are fondly revisiting an old friend thanks to the recent release of the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. We take a look at it with new, 2012 eyes and offer our thoughts about it. See what we think and then add your voice to the comments.

There's a timeless quality to the visual styling's of the popular 90's powerhouse. The isometric view, while limiting, allows for the game to be laid out with crystal clear clarity. The hand drawn scenery, the structures, the foreboding ruins, they all transport the player back to a time when game playing came hand in hand with a dollop of imagination. Putting it simply: Baldur's Gate looks a treat.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition: Isometric Filled Charms.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    I just still don't see this as being worth $20 for a 15 yr old game with a very slight enhancement to graphics.
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

Very much worth the money imo. It had been about 7 years since my last play-through of Baldur's Gate so to revisit it as an 'Enhanced Edition' was very much worth while. The graphics look nice, the UI redone and the journal much easier to navigate. In addition there are some tweaks to the inventory and stacking systems. There are new party members with their own quests which adds additional content, very much enjoying Neera at the moment with here chaotic abilities adding a nice random element to combat.

We finally get a masterful introduction video to the game and remasters of all the other cinematics with a nice art style. There is also the Black Pits as additional 'challenge' content to be done.

Myself personally I have played the Enhanced Edition for around 40 hours and I have yet to experience a single crash or bug, but I understand others have and have reported as such on the forums. it seems I am lucky enough to not of been effected.

If your an RPG fan that likes 'adventures' then this is worth trying out if your not a 'it's all about the graphics' kinda person. If you initially bought and played the game in the late 90's as I did and you thoroughly enjoyed it back then, then this little gem is worth purchasing for the revisit.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    This is the main representative of the golden era of isometric RPGs. Not only, Baldur's Gate 1 but also Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale 1, Fallout 1 and Arcanum should get this kind of  'remastered' version.

REALITY CHECK

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Planescape: Torment still remains one of the best written RPG games of all time.  It actually paid dividends learning more about the characters in the game, getting EXP as well as side quests.  IMO it is a totally superior game to any of the Baldur's Gate games, which are basic fantasy cliche stuff.  Torment is a MUCH deeper experience.

The other game that suprised people back then was Icewind Dale.  It didn't have the hype that any of the BG games did, but it was actually really well done.  I remember that game having excellent music.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

These kind of game will always be my favorites, i was not supposed to buy it now cause i have too many games to play but hell i just bought it minute ago. Now i cant wait to play this great adventure.

I want more game like that and less game like dragon age 2... Im talking gameplay there.

Edit: The wait will be infernal.. i need to go to work so cant play before i come back
  • KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

so does BG:EE offer anything for that $20 that hasnt been done by the modding community for free?

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Not sure how I feel about the gameplay changes, such as increasing the level cap.  I know the second edition rules set was pretty slow to level (focus on rp, not stats) but the game didn't need constant levels to be fun.  That said, it was a great game and if this means more people getting a chance to play it, then it's a good thing.

You make me like charity

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    I loved LOVED these games back in the day.  I played BG I, BG II, Torment, and Icewind Dale and couldn't get enough.  Baldur's Gate II was my absolute favorite RPG all the way up until Dragon Age and then Mass Effect.  Even so, times have changed and for me to really be psyched up about these games again, it would have to be Bioware remaking them in the style of Dragon Age or Mass Effect.  Minor tweaks to the ancient engine just doesn't cut it.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I'd maybe pay $20 for a bundle with all the BG titles upgraded, but $20 for just the BG1 is a bit much.

I don't mind the wait.

And yeah, there have been a number of decent mods over the years to choose from, so there better be something in there worth the money.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

They should have reworked the graphics more as the gulf between some of the really great rpgs today and this game is too large, despite it being a good game. 

Of course...graphics are not EVERYTHING.  But they are SOMETHING.  And I just bought Far Cry 2, Batman Arkham City Game of the Year Edition and The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition with DLC for about 7 bucks apiece.  I also bought the two dlc's for Skyrim for dirt cheap.  So comparing the value of this offering to my recent purchases of $7 or less, this game loses.  It's a competition for my gaming time after all.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Kenze

so does BG:EE offer anything for that $20 that hasnt been done by the modding community for free?

The modding was not bad but full of bug and a pain to install all these patch and mods and all.

So 20$ for me its cheap considering i can play one of my favorite rpg  free of all those incompatibility issues and bugs. The new features are just a + for me.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Nope

Maybe for BG+BG2 the pricetag may be worth it but still not sure. Like it was previously said I just spent the same price and got a lot more the 1 15 year old game. Steam sales are great.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Yizle

Nope

Maybe for BG+BG2 the pricetag may be worth it but still not sure. Like it was previously said I just spent the same price and got a lot more the 1 15 year old game. Steam sales are great.

It has been stated that if this reissue is a financial success for the Overhaul plan on making original games in the same style, which sounds good enough to support in my eyes. I love this type of game and want to see more made, and that is done by proving that there is a market for them, and that means putting my money where my mouth is.

The tweaks and additions are just icing on the cake.

A must buy IMO

• ArbedeArbede Member UncommonPosts: 19

I wish they were making games like these again like Arcanum, Nox, Fallout, BG and Icewind Dale.

Damn good o'days.

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Good games will always be good games. I played BG2 2 years ago and and still love it. ANd now I will be getting this gem and enjoy it.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

• JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I was hesistant to buy it, but I wanted to support a company that was trying to bring back the games that made RPGs what they are today. I pre-purchased for $17 and man was I surprised at how much I still enjoy a well made game. I hope they overhaul more games like others have mentioned.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    They are also working on BG2, set to be released next year. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    BG 2 is a lot worse game than BG 1. I would be much more happier with the remake of Planescape Torment or Icewind Dale 1.

REALITY CHECK

• Iced0verIced0ver Member Posts: 49

I loved the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series, so much in fact I go by the name "King Icewind' at every forum, game, etc. I go. You never played these games for the graphics, you played because of the story(ies).

However, stories aside, they need to show some before and after pictures because the graphics look pretty much the same to me (ie pixelated). And with people today, it's more about show than game.

• k44mosk44mos Member Posts: 22

This is not worth 20 bucks.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

I hear good things, but $20 for just a few new quests, and a reshaping of the game... eh.. it's a tough decision.

I am not sure this will be a lucrative market enough to continue remaking games... there are dozens of games out there that need fixing that were epic beyond belief, but unfinished, buggy as hell, and does not work well on current PCs...oh wait, that is KoTOR II... my bad.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by WolfClaws

I hear good things, but $20 for just a few new quests, and a reshaping of the game... eh.. it's a tough decision.

I am not sure this will be a lucrative market enough to continue remaking games... there are dozens of games out there that need fixing that were epic beyond belief, but unfinished, buggy as hell, and does not work well on current PCs...oh wait, that is KoTOR II... my bad.

It was buggy but its been fixed, and in my opinion is a better game than the original.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Awesome will be downloading this ASAP!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford
    They are also working on BG2, set to be released next year. :)

I'm enjoying BG(EE) agian a lot, but I won't buy BG2EE. I'll stick with the original of that. I picked up BGEE because of the better graphics handling on higher resolution (I have the original discs of both still lying around ;)

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Arbede

I wish they were making games like these again like Arcanum, Nox, Fallout, BG and Icewind Dale.

Damn good o'days.

and the next gen will talk about todays games being classics, etc etc.