Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open world pvp?

Comments

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by elitero

Originally posted by Masa1
    They could start with PvP servers, that way carebears can stay in their PvE servers. Real men would happily move into PvP servers.

First off Urban Dictionary

Back in the day, Carebear referred to a person or a game mechanic which eliminated or reduced all risk and challenge and realism from the game.

These days people throw the term carebear around to mean ANYTHING derotagory. Want to craft? You're a carebear! Don't want to play an mmorpg like a first person shooter? You're a carebear! Don't like to play the game like I play the game? You're a carebear!

The term carebear has become mangled and meaningless. But it used to mean something important to hardcore gamers.

Examples of the ORIGINAL term are:
    No full loot was "carebear"
    Safe zones were "carebear"
    Limits on who you can attack and where you can attack them were "carebear."
    Limits on freedom in general were "carebear."
    Instances were "carebear."

Carebears were people who wanted devs to develop/change games to make their gaming experience easy, safe, and cozy. No risk, no challenge, no realism. Cozy like a carebear.

Secondly, world pvp is usually a gankfest but sometimes and VERY RARELY you get epic battles. Spvp and WvW are just fine (in my personal opinion).

The term carebear, under the old definition, works to describe poeple who want to stay in a riskless environment as the OP suggested.

Also, it's always been derogatory, and has never been an 'important' term used only by hardcore gamers, or I should say no more important than any other derogatory insult ever invented.

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by elitero

Examples of the ORIGINAL term are:
    No full loot was "carebear"
    Safe zones were "carebear"
    Limits on who you can attack and where you can attack them were "carebear."
    Limits on freedom in general were "carebear."
    Instances were "carebear."

Carebears were people who wanted devs to develop/change games to make their gaming experience easy, safe, and cozy. No risk, no challenge, no realism. Cozy like a carebear.

Actually all of those "carebear" meanings are fine with me. You might as well throw PvP avoiding to the list.

Not really related to GW2, but Conquer Online >was< close to perfect, until devs decided to throw in "carebear" safezone (1-20lvl area, which was previosly free zone). Don't bother with that game though... Bots put the final nail in the coffin: nowdays it's more rewarding to kill bots than other players.

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Murdus
    Originally posted by adderVXI

Why does this always turn into a macho thing?  Whether you like Pvp or Pve, you still "playing" a game.  Yes, PLAYING!  Were all playing :)

To the OP, i would love a flagging system that the player intitates.  Flag if you want any kill other people flagged.  If your not flagged and see someone that is, go ahead and atk but know it will flag you for like a hour or something.  Why would that matter to anyone that doesnt PvP?  To me it would being a new level of immersion.

In the context of GW2? More immersion?

All the playable races are working together to overthrow threats to their respective homelands. How would killing heroes of your own world add immersion?

Open world PvP can be very necessary for all-inclusive immersion in games like vanilla WoW where you had two armies fighting eachother. When everyone is on the same team, it takes away from immersion because it's basically you killing your future teamates.

Also. How would anyone expect tasks and events to make sense with PvP happening all the time?

"Hey man, we need help killing this boss."

"Okay I need to kill him too, but I don't want you to help so I'm going to kill you."

"Oh... but we're from the same home city, work for the same people, and we grouped together yesterday."

"Whatever, I'm just gonna kill everyone during the fight."

There is literally no place where open world PvP would make sense in this game.

The stories I played had me fighting against my own race.  Every race seemed to have a different faction within their own who I fought against. It would have been built from the start to add opvp but the lore does support fighting each other and in some caases fighting your own race.

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by SQTO

There is literally no place where open world PvP would make sense in this game.

The stories I played had me fighting against my own race.  Every race seemed to have a different faction within their own who I fought against. It would have been built from the start to add opvp but the lore does support fighting each other and in some caases fighting your own race.

In order for that to work they would have to add more soft factions... like how the sylvari have the chaos faction and carebear faction.... it would be pointless for any and everyone to fight for no reason..

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264

Originally posted by elitero Examples of the ORIGINAL term are: No full loot was "carebear" Safe zones were "carebear" Limits on who you can attack and where you can attack them were "carebear." Limits on freedom in general were "carebear." Instances were "carebear." Carebears were people who wanted devs to develop/change games to make their gaming experience easy, safe, and cozy. No risk, no challenge, no realism. Cozy like a carebear.
    Actually all of those "carebear" meanings are fine with me. You might as well throw PvP avoiding to the list.

Not really related to GW2, but Conquer Online >was< close to perfect, until devs decided to throw in "carebear" safezone (1-20lvl area, which was previosly free zone). Don't bother with that game though... Bots put the final nail in the coffin: nowdays it's more rewarding to kill bots than other players.

I don't know why you still don't get it, yes avoiding pvp is carebear in pvp server, but you used it like if you pve more then you are a carebear which is not true. The term is also used in PvE, avoiding certain things in PvE that gives you an easier route to things is considered carebear. and others that were listed, so use the term properly.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by botrytis
    They could start with PvP servers, that way carebears can stay in their PvE servers. Real men would happily move into PvP servers.

Real Men don't have to show in games they are Real Men - they do that in RL.

LMAO ^^

Hillarious :D

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by botrytis

Real Men don't have to show in games they are Real Men - they do that in RL. I certainly don't have to. Being good in PvP doesn't prove anything except you are good at PvP.

What a ridiculous comment OP.

You are actually terribly wrong, your version of a "real man" in real life is probably what guy means in a "video game".. If you are strong, a bully or watever in real life that makes you a "real men"..

Then his version of "real men" is the same in video game..But this time you are on a video game forum.. so Yea, real man applies more to someone who would Love real pvp and fights rather than walking next to an ennemy that can't be attacked because the "game doesnt want to"..

I personally see nothing in being a "real man" in real life just because you have bigger muscle or everything. You CAN ( are not necessarely ) be a dumbass anyways.. And humans are stronger than animals and it's not due to physical strength but what we did with our brain.. So... Even going that way i would say if someone CAN beat you in a video game , it is because he thinks better than you. And, probably soon enough that will cause him to be more of a "real man" than you are...

Back on topic, I would love open pvp on gw2 as long as it's separate server and that pve only exists. Cause my girlfriend hates gankings and I still wanna play with her. I would probably have a character on each server

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

If they did introduce this, would it be along the lines of world invasion? As in you and your party would transer into another server and fight there. I don't see it working in a single server with the 5 races fighting each other. The personal story and the three Orders directly oppose that, they are all about uniting and defeating the dragon. OWpvp doesn't fit into the story at all.

Or they could implement an option where Guilds can activate OWpvp for all their members. This could also work with guilds crossing servers.

OWpvp seems to be better off in more sandbox like games.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Anyone else thinks that open world pvp would make GW2 the greatest game ever?

Nope. You'd break it. Completely. The closest you'll get is WvW, and that happens to be an absolute blast. But think about event scaling, cross-profession combos, anything in GW2 in PvE that is currently built on the assumption that all the other players around you are allies. During one of the Reddit things awhile back someone brought this up and the Dev flatly stated that it's simply not possible for open world PvP in GW2 by design.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    Trully well done open world pvp that has rules, and penalities that come from actions being taken, such as how in real life you can do alot yet if you do many times you will be penalized for that action taken would work fine in any mmo. As well as giving good meaning behind why you should pvp from objectives, resources, domains, rewards (both monatary, title, and gear-wise.), ways of gaining pride, and just also affecting the game world an setting.  Many times you will not get this though as players will feel the penality or rewards for such action don't warrent it, and so rebel an you have an issue in the game world. Open world pvp needs to be done in a very well done and complex way to be good an so from launch, which is why inn many games you will not see it unless that is how the game was focused to be.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Not me, mainly because open world PvP goes against most of the things I like of the game, and I don't see open world PvP working without a more or less complete redesign of the game.

From a lore point of view, wouldn't really make sense. As it is, at the beggining of the game the humans and charr have declared a truce for a year already, and the sylvari, norn and asura have always been neutral to that war, so there wouldn't be factions so it would be FFAPvP.

I like open world events and boss fights. Some of them are chaotic enough as it is, I doubt they would work at all if you had to be careful not to hit other players as well, specially since almost all auto-attacks will hit whatever is in the weapon's way and not just the target, not to mention AoE attacks. Making the world open PvP would need a rewrite or removal of most dynamic events and bosses, IMHO, and since they're the backbone of PvE, it would be a massive work to do.

That's not to say it'll never happen. GW1 had the factions campaign, where at one point you could choose one faction to join (Luxons or Kurziks) and do PvP in their behalf, and you could even capture terrain for your faction. According to the story Cantha (the continent where Factions was based) was blocked off from the rest of tyria because the way to get to it was by boat, and Zaithan was preventing any boats from leaving Lion's Arch and into the open sea. Since Zaithan is (spoilers, though everyone knows by now) defeated at the end of the personal story, it makes sense that once they release the first big expansion, it'll feature Cantha as its setting.

Another way I might see it happening would be to continue the storyline and make the Inquest, Nightmare Court, Sons of Svanir, Flame Legion and I guess human bandits to ally themselves and form a new faction you could join (I'd say highly unlikely between nightmare court and inquest, at least), but that would also mean a big redesign of the world, since you'd need alternate cities and storylines for them, as well as outposts and maybe a separate waypoint system (since lots of waypoints are in the middle or near of cities and/or towns that would be hostile to them). This, if done correctly, could open some interesting posibilities, for example, there are dynamic events where you have to defend an outpost from invading enemies, which can be from one of the groups I mentioned, which, if failed, leads to another event where you must retake the outpost from the invaders. If there's a PvP mode, there could also be an event at the same time to help take the outpost, followed by another one to keep it from enemies.

Personally, PvP is something I might do on the side... I wouldn't be bothered by the adition of open world PvP, as long as the PvE gameplay isn't impacted at all, and it's completely optional.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104

Whe I was younger, I thought it was cool to play the murderer or drug lord in games. Then I experienced the affects of those things in real life and it is not cool anymore. Therefore, it is hard for me to fully enjoy a game where these things exist because I simply cannot seperate how I think about those personality types in a game versus real life.

So I recognize that the gamers who still think it is cool to be a murderer should have their fun too. You just can't be a part of the mainstream gamer society just like a murderer in real life cannot be allowed in society. You have to accept that OPvP needs to be seperate from mainstream (carebear in your world) games. The two do not mix.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

As pro open world pvp as I am, the answer would be no.

The game isn't designed with that mechanic or mind set in mind. Most of the players in said game will have little to no interest in such a type of pvp.

Moreover the act of simply whacking in a server with open pvp, well it would probably just suck total balls unless they spent time working on it.. and why the hell should the current playerbase want the devs wasting time on something that simply doesn't fit in with the game in the first place?

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    It's like asking a first born baby to talk.....they don't even understand the question, it doesn't go together, it ain't possible.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

Originally posted by Jalitan

You have to accept that OPvP needs to be seperate from mainstream (carebear in your world) games. The two do not mix.

SWG didn't need to seperate OPvP to their other content.......it was all in one.

just noticed this........even adding OPvP to GW2 wouldn't even come close to the greatest game ever. GW2 is themeparked, mmosandbox+OPvP>GW2 themepark+OPvP. GW2 is a good game but just adding OPvP will either ruin the game or won't be enough to be called the greatest game ever.

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Quite the opposite. If this game would have had open world pvp, I wouldn't have gone near it! Imo, TSW and GW2 have the right idea about pve and pvp. Keep them seperate. Everyone happy, hurray (well except ppl who like to prey on unsuspecting victims and basically commit the gaming equivalent of 'rape', but honestly that's not the kind of people I care about if they're happy or not).

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    I don't know if anyones said this but open world pvp can't work in this game no factions only races. How is open world pvp going to work when everyones on the same side?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

no no. never use the words "real men" in conjunction with video games as a test of "real men".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    No. Open world PvP does not work in ThemeParks. The content is too sliced up into zones and instances and death penalties are too weak, so it would be dificult to find something worthwhile to fight over.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Real men don't play pvp computer games ....they pvp for real

Originally posted by kabitoshin
    I don't know if anyones said this but open world pvp can't work in this game no factions only races. How is open world pvp going to work when everyones on the same side?

OPvP doesn't match the lore, another reason why it wont work. What do you ask for OP? free for all?

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by Jonoku

OPvP doesn't match the lore, another reason why it wont work. What do you ask for OP? free for all?

FFA pvp would ruin this game.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

You must not be familiar with Guild Wars if you think OWPvP wouldn't fit the lore...

Hell read the GW2 books.. people are still very much at each others throats. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Originally posted by Vunak23

You must not be familiar with Guild Wars if you think OWPvP wouldn't fit the lore...

Hell read the GW2 books.. people are still very much at each others throats. 

the Guilds/races teamed up to fight the dragon. What factions do you want? Alive vs Rising vs Ghost?