Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open world pvp?

Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
Anyone else thinks that open world pvp would make GW2 the greatest game ever?

Comments

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I do. I get bored of pve without pvp. However it is much to late for them to put real open world pvp into the game.
  • Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    They could start with PvP servers, that way carebears can stay in their PvE servers. Real men would happily move into PvP servers.
  • SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Masa1
    They could start with PvP servers, that way carebears can stay in their PvE servers. Real men would happily move into PvP servers.

When talking about pvp, you should stay away from stupid comments such as "real men" because it makes everyone who likes pvp look stupid.  Also do you think the term  "real men " should belong in a videogame topic ?

• eliteroelitero Member UncommonPosts: 264

First off Urban Dictionary

Back in the day, Carebear referred to a person or a game mechanic which eliminated or reduced all risk and challenge and realism from the game.

These days people throw the term carebear around to mean ANYTHING derotagory. Want to craft? You're a carebear! Don't want to play an mmorpg like a first person shooter? You're a carebear! Don't like to play the game like I play the game? You're a carebear!

The term carebear has become mangled and meaningless. But it used to mean something important to hardcore gamers.

Examples of the ORIGINAL term are:
    No full loot was "carebear"
    Safe zones were "carebear"
    Limits on who you can attack and where you can attack them were "carebear."
    Limits on freedom in general were "carebear."
    Instances were "carebear."

Carebears were people who wanted devs to develop/change games to make their gaming experience easy, safe, and cozy. No risk, no challenge, no realism. Cozy like a carebear.

Secondly, world pvp is usually a gankfest but sometimes and VERY RARELY you get epic battles. Spvp and WvW are just fine (in my personal opinion).

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    There is no open world pvp in themeparks, theres no place for it, theres a place for it in sandbox MMO's IMO.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I don't. I think more PvP would be good, just not OWPvP in the already PvE areas.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107

Comming from someone whos probably just as "carebear" as the people he/she putting down. Always get a kick out of people who talk like you do.  Your type are always the ones doing the real "carebearing" and  slinging petty insults. You make the pvp community look bad.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

A.Net already stated that the game was NOT designed for open world PvP.

Not going to happen - not even PvP servers.

Originally posted by elitero

These days people throw the term carebear around to mean ANYTHING derotagory. Want to craft? You're a carebear! Don't want to play an mmorpg like a first person shooter? You're a carebear! Don't like to play the game like I play the game? You're a carebear!

I agree that now its like a mmo curse word. If somebody doesn't like what you like, you'd call the person a carebear.

"What you don't play sandbox MMOs? CAREBEAR!"

Yup.........

Easy easy, I didn't mean to insult anyone with the word "carebear". If you're a carebear, that's fine with me, no one minds that you enjoy PvE more than PvP.

Easy easy, I didn't mean to insult anyone with the word "carebear". If you're a carebear, that's fine with me, no one minds that you enjoy PvE more than PvP.

You don't still understand do you? Carebear term is not for people who enjoy more PvE than PVP its used in both sides, you clearly are new to the online gaming, hence you do not even know what hell carebear means.

Just adding OPvP to guild wars 2 will change the whole game and ruin it because GW2 is themepark...no place for OPvP. I know I'm being biased but ya.....

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

Why does this always turn into a macho thing?  Whether you like Pvp or Pve, you still "playing" a game.  Yes, PLAYING!  Were all playing :)

To the OP, i would love a flagging system that the player intitates.  Flag if you want any kill other people flagged.  If your not flagged and see someone that is, go ahead and atk but know it will flag you for like a hour or something.  Why would that matter to anyone that doesnt PvP?  To me it would being a new level of immersion.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437

I wouldn't mind it.... but i don't see how it would add to the game... someone said it would add to immersion.... but there really isn't any lore ( that i know of) that allows for pvp.. humans and char hate each other.... sylvari loves everyone... asura hates everyone... and i have no idea about the norn... how would that work?

not to mention... there aren't any castles/ building for guilds or individuals to take control over.. and most areas.. are race oriented.. so no open areas to control...

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698
    Originally posted by adderVXI

Why does this always turn into a macho thing?  Whether you like Pvp or Pve, you still "playing" a game.  Yes, PLAYING!  Were all playing :)

To the OP, i would love a flagging system that the player intitates.  Flag if you want any kill other people flagged.  If your not flagged and see someone that is, go ahead and atk but know it will flag you for like a hour or something.  Why would that matter to anyone that doesnt PvP?  To me it would being a new level of immersion.

In the context of GW2? More immersion?

All the playable races are working together to overthrow threats to their respective homelands. How would killing heroes of your own world add immersion?

Open world PvP can be very necessary for all-inclusive immersion in games like vanilla WoW where you had two armies fighting eachother. When everyone is on the same team, it takes away from immersion because it's basically you killing your future teamates.

Also. How would anyone expect tasks and events to make sense with PvP happening all the time?

"Hey man, we need help killing this boss."

"Okay I need to kill him too, but I don't want you to help so I'm going to kill you."

"Oh... but we're from the same home city, work for the same people, and we grouped together yesterday."

"Whatever, I'm just gonna kill everyone during the fight."

There is literally no place where open world PvP would make sense in this game.

They had it in Rift beta - but then other players could turn it on for you (it was a bug and I don't know if they fised it - I never played on a PvP other than in beta)

• DragoshanDragoshan Member UncommonPosts: 36

First off Urban Dictionary

Back in the day, Carebear referred to a person or a game mechanic which eliminated or reduced all risk and challenge and realism from the game.

The term carebear has become mangled and meaningless. But it used to mean something important to hardcore gamers.

Examples of the ORIGINAL term are:
    No full loot was "carebear"
    Safe zones were "carebear"
    Limits on who you can attack and where you can attack them were "carebear."
    Limits on freedom in general were "carebear."
    Instances were "carebear."

Carebears were people who wanted devs to develop/change games to make their gaming experience easy, safe, and cozy. No risk, no challenge, no realism. Cozy like a carebear.

Secondly, world pvp is usually a gankfest but sometimes and VERY RARELY you get epic battles. Spvp and WvW are just fine (in my personal opinion).

I don't know what the fuck is derotagory, but seeing as you took this snippet from the urban dictionary, I'm betting you don't know either. Derogatory is the term you're looking for.

Real Men don't have to show in games they are Real Men - they do that in RL. I certainly don't have to. Being good in PvP doesn't prove anything except you are good at PvP.

What a ridiculous comment OP.

Originally posted by Dragoshan

Originally posted by Masa1 They could start with PvP servers, that way carebears can stay in their PvE servers. Real men would happily move into PvP servers.
      First off Urban Dictionary Back in the day, Carebear referred to a person or a game mechanic which eliminated or reduced all risk and challenge and realism from the game. These days people throw the term carebear around to mean ANYTHING derotagory. Want to craft? You're a carebear! Don't want to play an mmorpg like a first person shooter? You're a carebear! Don't like to play the game like I play the game? You're a carebear! The term carebear has become mangled and meaningless. But it used to mean something important to hardcore gamers. Examples of the ORIGINAL term are: No full loot was "carebear" Safe zones were "carebear" Limits on who you can attack and where you can attack them were "carebear." Limits on freedom in general were "carebear." Instances were "carebear." Carebears were people who wanted devs to develop/change games to make their gaming experience easy, safe, and cozy. No risk, no challenge, no realism. Cozy like a carebear.   Secondly, world pvp is usually a gankfest but sometimes and VERY RARELY you get epic battles. Spvp and WvW are just fine (in my personal opinion).

I don't know what the fuck is derotagory, but seeing as you took this snippet from the urban dictionary, I'm betting you don't know either. Derogatory is the term you're looking for.

I think you missed school or something, it just means that the term losses value. and yea I took it from urban dictionary, I guess people cant make mistakes in the real world. and I think it would be better if you corrected the person who posted it on UD right? instead of lashing on me. But then again who am I kidding its the interwebz

• LordDmasterLordDmaster Member UncommonPosts: 130

First of all, most MMOs these days you do not have the same ability like in EverQuest. In today’s MMOs two or three low levels can not even start to hurt a high level. Ie. three 10th level characters fighting a 30th or 40th character. So the first thing that a MMO needs to do is get the programming in place for this type of PVP combats. Next on ALL servers, all players that hit level cap are put in a open PVP stat. Meaning if you are 80th lvl. (level cap) you are put in PVP mod and can be attacked by anyone at anytime. Anyone looking at you, even those 10th levels can see that you are in PVP mod and can attack you, level cap PVP can not be turned off. This give a safety to low levels, and gives high levels something to do. Next “Death” for High levels need some meaning. So if a high level character gets killed, just like EQ, Death means loss of items, and lowering of levels…

…..it’s a guideline, not a rule, as players we must remember: “It’s a Game”.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Open world pvp wouldn't be in the spirit of the game, which is co-operation to take on the threats of what is around you and not see who can be the biggest asshat is.
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty

I wouldn't mind it.... but i don't see how it would add to the game... someone said it would add to immersion.... but there really isn't any lore ( that i know of) that allows for pvp.. humans and char hate each other.... sylvari loves everyone... asura hates everyone... and i have no idea about the norn... how would that work?

not to mention... there aren't any castles/ building for guilds or individuals to take control over.. and most areas.. are race oriented.. so no open areas to control...

There's no need to be any lore. Each race has murderers who are just waiting to kill lonely travellers or those who hate other races or certain professions.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Nope would force me to quit in a new york minute.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by Murdus

In the context of GW2? More immersion?

All the playable races are working together to overthrow threats to their respective homelands. How would killing heroes of your own world add immersion?

Open world PvP can be very necessary for all-inclusive immersion in games like vanilla WoW where you had two armies fighting eachother. When everyone is on the same team, it takes away from immersion because it's basically you killing your future teamates.

Also. How would anyone expect tasks and events to make sense with PvP happening all the time?

"Hey man, we need help killing this boss."

"Okay I need to kill him too, but I don't want you to help so I'm going to kill you."

"Oh... but we're from the same home city, work for the same people, and we grouped together yesterday."

"Whatever, I'm just gonna kill everyone during the fight."

There is literally no place where open world PvP would make sense in this game.

Makes sense if that character is a murderer.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Sounds just as stupid as asking for PvE servers in DF.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!