Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game deserves more love

GenadiGenadi Member UncommonPosts: 110

I played years back but wasn't really active in any mmo's at the time and drifted away while trying to hang onto what was the greatness of DAOC. After a year or two of playing mainly Mortal Online I returned to VG recently and was greatly surprised. Great systems, great World, great crafting, great combat (looks like clickfest at first but is much deeper than WoW or other hotbar mmos when you realise combo effects etc, great new things being attempted (diplomacy), great exploration, great house & boat building system, great massive sprawling castles and above all else one of the best community's I've seen in a long long time.

No PvP was a turn off for me at first but once I accepted VG as PvE game it hasn't bothered me since.

I write this post mainly because I've seen so many games going f2p lately and in turn people giving them a chance. If people are giving broken games like Mortal Online a shot they should definitely give this a chance also. It pleasantly surprised me and I hope it does others. With a higher pop the game would really hit it's strides as unlike most other current mmo's it greatly encourages group play.

I hope alot more people try it out now it's f2p and on steam.

New VG fanboi - Genadi

Comments

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Totally agreed, VG is a gem of a game in many ways. Still needs a lot of love though, particularily when it comes to polish, bug fixing and char models.

With the ftp convertion and a new dev team working on it, the future does look bright however. Even though I sometimes get bored with the combat system and questing, I will probably keep returning to VG for a long time. I just love the world, the atmosphere, and the great classes, plus the fact that it's so damn huge that you never run out of content.

Also, it's one of the last true MMOs - it actually rewards grouping and socialization, and it's not designed for easy solo play.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Biskop
    Totally agreed, VG is a gem of a game in many ways. Still needs a lot of love though, particularily when it comes to polish, bug fixing and char models.

With the ftp convertion and a new dev team working on it, the future does look bright however. Even though I sometimes get bored with the combat system and questing, I will probably keep returning to VG for a long time. I just love the world, the atmosphere, and the great classes, plus the fact that it's so damn huge that you never run out of content.

Also, it's one of the last true MMOs - it actually rewards grouping and socialization, and it's not designed for easy solo play.

I tried VG when I had Station Sony Account. The world is stunningly beautiful and huge. It has some unique features which I really liked.  I wish though they had improved character hair, they really suck and it's a big deal for me  /grin. 

The problem is that as you said - the game is not easy to solo, you would have to convince your friends to try it with you  and stick to it to have fun, and it might not be easy. The game definitely has potential, there's just no enough interest.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    You can still solo to some extent ofc, but group content is where the game really shines and you'll miss a lot if you only tun solo - not to mention that some classes are designed for group play.

And lately there has actually been easy to find groups, both for dungeons and other stuff like harvesting (VG rewards you for group harvesting which is great imo).
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

I just got my all access pass for SOE, so i will pick this back up and play. Its been awhile, but enjoyed it. If you guys want to group up just let me know what server and time zone.

$19.99 is a good buy for all these games. Reason i did that is so i could go back to some of these older games like VG, EQ2, etc....I would have to recreate a new character from the begining.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    tried to get my brother and nephew to play VG but they thought that it took too long to get anywhere..no taste at all...it would be great if someone came up with an identical copy of this game minus the bugs and char models..by far the  best mmo i ever played.
  • EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244
    I really wish we Europeans had access to soe all access pass, its such a good deal.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I disagree.  I think it is time that this game finally dies.  To preserve the few fond memories that I have of Vanguard, this game should humanely be put down.  I say this out of love.  It is time.
  • KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

Originally posted by Badaboom
    I disagree.  I think it is time that this game finally dies.  To preserve the few fond memories that I have of Vanguard, this game should humanely be put down.  I say this out of love.  It is time.
    I agree. Vanguard just needs to die with a little of its dignity intact. I mean look at some of the stuff SOE's cash shop is adding to the world....such tacky, gaudy crap like this

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Kenze

I agree. Vanguard just needs to die with a little of its dignity intact. I mean look at some of the stuff SOE's cash shop is adding to the world....such tacky, gaudy crap like this

uhm if i remember correctly the rainbow brite pegasus has been in game for a while longer than f2p and the cash shop.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

What the hell?  I'm not overly familiar with Vanguard lore but that can't be part of it...

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22

What the hell?  I'm not overly familiar with Vanguard lore but that can't be part of it...

i am not sure where it came from, but i do know it did not come with f2p.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

What it really needs is a reboot.

Use the world, races, classes and ideas. But give it a new graphics engine.

It isnt just about the engine being old, its very poorly put together. If this game got a graphics / engine overhaul it would be the new Everquest 1.

Originally posted by chelan

That's almost worse...  

You make me like charity

Originally posted by evilastro

What it really needs is a reboot.

Use the world, races, classes and ideas. But give it a new graphics engine.

It isnt just about the engine being old, its very poorly put together. If this game got a graphics / engine overhaul it would be the new Everquest 1.

i think the graphics engine would work fine as it is.  Maybe have some higher poly models but that's mostly it.  What really needs to be replaced are the animations.  Those pretty much killed it for me within about 30 minutes.  20 of which were spent downloading the trial.

You make me like charity

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Agreed +1

Soe isn't supporting just using it as a last ditch money grab before it swirls around the drain for the last time.

time to nove on and stop clinging to the dead remains of what once was.

• NhyxNhyx Member Posts: 18
    @Badaboom and winter
    So, what you guys are saying is because you don't enjoy the game anymore they should shut it down. Very altruistic of you.

Also, the Pegasus is the reward for an endgame dungeon "Pantheon of the Ancients" where you choose a God as a patron. This is the reward for pledging to the good side. There is also a mount that leaves a trail of fire if you decide for an evil God.

Originally posted by Nhyx
    @Badaboom and winter
    So, what you guys are saying is because you don't enjoy the game anymore they should shut it down. Very altruistic of you.

exactly. if you don't like it that's fine. there are plenty of reasons to want a game shut down.  but there are a growing number of people who continue to enjoy the game.

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249

couldnt agree more with the guy who said this game would be the new eq1 if this game had a graphic engine overhaul.

The graphics are pretty dont get me wrong. But the whole engine is clunky, old and realy worst coding you could imagine.

the game itself is a gem but just because of that the game never came close to reach it potential

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    @Badaboom and winter

exactly. if you don't like it that's fine. there are plenty of reasons to want a game shut down.  but there are a growing number of people who continue to enjoy the game.

If that were true then you wouldn't need these call to arms and Vanguard needs more love posts

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Genadi

I played years back but wasn't really active in any mmo's at the time and drifted away while trying to hang onto what was the greatness of DAOC. After a year or two of playing mainly Mortal Online I returned to VG recently and was greatly surprised. Great systems, great World, great crafting, great combat (looks like clickfest at first but is much deeper than WoW or other hotbar mmos when you realise combo effects etc, great new things being attempted (diplomacy), great exploration, great house & boat building system, great massive sprawling castles and above all else one of the best community's I've seen in a long long time.

No PvP was a turn off for me at first but once I accepted VG as PvE game it hasn't bothered me since.

I write this post mainly because I've seen so many games going f2p lately and in turn people giving them a chance. If people are giving broken games like Mortal Online a shot they should definitely give this a chance also. It pleasantly surprised me and I hope it does others. With a higher pop the game would really hit it's strides as unlike most other current mmo's it greatly encourages group play.

I hope alot more people try it out now it's f2p and on steam.

New VG fanboi - Genadi

I agree!  I'm waiting for the 2 faction server to return first, however.  Some glorious pvp days then - nothing as complex as the DAoC siege - 3 realm system - but no one knows how to do that in an mmorpg these days (so I don't get to be so picky).  VGSoH had a ton of promise, they just need some creative inspiration and $$$$.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Starpower
    @Badaboom and winter

If that were true then you wouldn't need these call to arms and Vanguard needs more love posts

I have no idea whether the game is growing or not, but a thread saying it needs more love is no indication that it isn't. It could be growing, and the OP is just riding the momentum and hoping to help things further.

I've logged into the game recently for the first time in a long ass time, and I'm actually seeing people around talking, and in the starter areas (not the Isle of Dawn or whatever) where like a year ago I would have seen no activity whatsoever. I can't say whether that means anything, but it already seems much more active because of this than it did a year or more ago.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

That's almost worse...  

THAT is NOT one of the mounts you can buy with the cash shop.

This is the level 55 Order reward of the Pantheon of Ancients. There is also a Chaos reward, which is some burning mount.

The cash shop sells the ice dragon (I got one, since as a regular I get free points for the cash shop every month) and a griffon. Both are much more conventional looking.

• ViperHoundzViperHoundz Member Posts: 46
    Vanguard is a great Vacation MMO, take your time coast and enjoy the beautiful world Lord Moonguard and Co. is working on
    Vanguard: Saga of the old school Gamer---

I'm on Telon Floatz is my highest character bard ADD me!!