Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World or The Secret Rip-Off?

Comments

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Asuran24
    Originally posted by Thillian

I believe TSW has the best combat system. All the critique about the combat in TSW comes from early beta players. The combat is extremely fast if your build is fast, or extremely slow, if your build is about survivabiltiy, or anything in between those two extremes. That's the beauty of it.

It is not really for me or many i play with that the speed is the issue, but the fact of how generic the combatabilties feel at large. Thoughh in truth tsw was not really made a a combat focused game, but more of a story game, and lore exploration game with combat being more secondary. The idea, and concept are great, but i think many of the aspect implimented were not as fleshed out, and many of the abilties lacked a uniqueness that would have made the combat much better an less bland.

I respect your opinion, but I totally disagree with it. I think the abilities are well designed, there are a lot of unique abilities and picking up the right synergies between them is like a deck-building game. For instance, there are three types of healers, fist healers, which rely on critical hits of their dots multiplying by passive abilities, leech-healers that heal others by hitting enemies + giving life-leech buffs on others that can then acts as healer by themselves for a short time, or blood-healers that heal by adding barriers and prevention-bubbles.

Plus don't forget, you can use 2 weapons simultaneously, so as a healer you can mix those healing-specs any way you want, or even add some DPS specs (Assault Rifles + Shotguns) or buffing specs (Fists+Pistols) or even being a tank-healer (Sword/Hammer + Blood) or whatever you like. 

Yes but you  are talking about the function of the ability, which alot of speccs have an interesting way of working, but also many times within the same school of abilties (blood, chaos, what have you.) they do not diviate vary much. Also the look of the abiltiy can be quite bland looking and sometimes even very minor diferences in appeanrce to other abilties in the game wheel.  They kinda took the idea of focusing the areas of the wheel on one or maybe two facts too far, as if they had two or more ways of healing that were unique per school, such as a blood mage that could shield, or could redirect the damage being taken by the group around diffently or even funnel it to a certain person it would have gave more veriety to the wheel as well. Also the limited bar space lead to alot of feeling the abilties were confining as well as copied, i mean you do nnot need 20 active abilties, but having 10 to 15 would not have been bad an added more to the veiriety of the combat too.

I loved the idea of abilties having differing effects based on the status of the target when they are used, yet they kept the number of statuses rather limited as well, which seemed odd to me as you could have six types of statuses that would have lead to mroe abilties having alt effects based on the status of the target being target or casting it.  One of the killers for me was the lack of a true pet-based or partical pet-based school, as really in myths an legends summoner style character that use minions or such are quite common, an for me one of those styles of combat i like for the micro-management side of the aspect.

Please be more specific. I don't see any overlapping abilities. Each keyword (penetration, hit, glance, block, defense, evade, leech, heal, critical chance, critical power, health, hinder, impair, affliction.. did I forgot any), has about 4-5 active and passive abilities, and all abilities are kinda different. 

REALITY CHECK

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

best MMO on the market for me, nicest and most communicative devs.

I like them a lot and spend a little extra on top of my lifetime B2P pack every now and then, to fund the monthly updates.

Most of the stuff there is standard like name change, dimension transfer, barbershop coupons and special pets.

Nothing else like the WoW shop.

But, NO DAMN F2P GAMBLING BOXES, and NO Pay2win, THEREFORE <3 FC FTW

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

I believe TSW has the best combat system. All the critique about the combat in TSW comes from early beta players. The combat is extremely fast if your build is fast, or extremely slow, if your build is about survivabiltiy, or anything in between those two extremes. That's the beauty of it.

It is not really for me or many i play with that the speed is the issue, but the fact of how generic the combatabilties feel at large. Thoughh in truth tsw was not really made a a combat focused game, but more of a story game, and lore exploration game with combat being more secondary. The idea, and concept are great, but i think many of the aspect implimented were not as fleshed out, and many of the abilties lacked a uniqueness that would have made the combat much better an less bland.

I respect your opinion, but I totally disagree with it. I think the abilities are well designed, there are a lot of unique abilities and picking up the right synergies between them is like a deck-building game. For instance, there are three types of healers, fist healers, which rely on critical hits of their dots multiplying by passive abilities, leech-healers that heal others by hitting enemies + giving life-leech buffs on others that can then acts as healer by themselves for a short time, or blood-healers that heal by adding barriers and prevention-bubbles.

Plus don't forget, you can use 2 weapons simultaneously, so as a healer you can mix those healing-specs any way you want, or even add some DPS specs (Assault Rifles + Shotguns) or buffing specs (Fists+Pistols) or even being a tank-healer (Sword/Hammer + Blood) or whatever you like. 

Yes but you  are talking about the function of the ability, which alot of speccs have an interesting way of working, but also many times within the same school of abilties (blood, chaos, what have you.) they do not diviate vary much. Also the look of the abiltiy can be quite bland looking and sometimes even very minor diferences in appeanrce to other abilties in the game wheel.  They kinda took the idea of focusing the areas of the wheel on one or maybe two facts too far, as if they had two or more ways of healing that were unique per school, such as a blood mage that could shield, or could redirect the damage being taken by the group around diffently or even funnel it to a certain person it would have gave more veriety to the wheel as well. Also the limited bar space lead to alot of feeling the abilties were confining as well as copied, i mean you do nnot need 20 active abilties, but having 10 to 15 would not have been bad an added more to the veiriety of the combat too.

I loved the idea of abilties having differing effects based on the status of the target when they are used, yet they kept the number of statuses rather limited as well, which seemed odd to me as you could have six types of statuses that would have lead to mroe abilties having alt effects based on the status of the target being target or casting it.  One of the killers for me was the lack of a true pet-based or partical pet-based school, as really in myths an legends summoner style character that use minions or such are quite common, an for me one of those styles of combat i like for the micro-management side of the aspect.

Please be more specific. I don't see any overlapping abilities. Each keyword (penetration, hit, glance, block, defense, evade, leech, heal, critical chance, critical power, health, hinder, impair, affliction.. did I forgot any), has about 4-5 active and passive abilities, and all abilities are kinda different. 

That is the fact you are talking about how the abilties fuction, while i am talking on how they look an feel while in combat. For me playing either a blood or choas dps-mage felt too similar as both apply a condition an than gain a buff or aguement to their abilties. But as i said above a blood mage-healer would largely shield their target an heal an that is well the sole focus of the blood healing. I think they could have added more depth an veriety to differing schools to make them have more ways of proforming thier duties. Also many fo the elmentalist attacks look much like they were re-skinned from other attacks in the other parts fo the wheel or even school. Like the thor hammer spell (might be wrong ont he name it is an elite skill.) looks rather uniue but feels somewhat similar to the fireball spell look.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I won't play the game with a sub. I can't say that's because the game isn't worth it though. I think they've done a really good job, and the game is pretty close to what they said they were going to do. I'm just (a) tired of subs and (b) tired of quest hub driven MMORPG progression.

I think they did a great job with the quests, but it just felt too much like running between quest hubs, doing the same old stuff I did with every other quest hub game.

This is pretty much where I was at, though I don't even mind quest hubs that much.  I played shortly after launch, played my free month and quit. 

The quests just might be among the best I've experienced in MMO's.  Great atmosphere, great story, some pretty good puzzle concepts... the single player aspects were pretty much on par for a good single player game.  If they had gone the GW2 B2P w/mt model, I might be playing, these days.

I quit due to lack of content, the non-lack of bugs, and basically just a short playtime for an MMO.  While the zones are good sized, the world is tiny, tiny, tiny.  There's just not enough of anything to justify a monthly subscription.  And finally, the combat was often just annoying, as the game world was mob-populated for a stand and attack game, so you'd keep getting adds as you dodged and moved.

Lastly, there's almost no replayability; certainly no reason to roll a new toon since the story differences are just cosmetic and no faction has any exclusive playability.  The moment in beta when I realized that almost every mission is repeatable I should have known what was coming:  A non-linear Diablo-esque replay experience but without the loot.  Rerun the missions over and over, fill out the wheel and get your purples.

Still, I hesistate to call it a ripoff, as I paid 50 bucks for it like I would any SPG, played it til' "the end" and quit.  I supposed I could say it's a rip since I could still play that game now if it were an SPG...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

There is no such thing as a rip-off in gaming because you can always choose NOT to play.

For me, i am waiting for TSW to turn F2P. it is not ripping me off because i don't pay funcom a cent.

• itstheclimaxitstheclimax Member Posts: 22
    based on current subs, some 150K of the 200K buyers thought it was not worth the continued investment.

That is the fact you are talking about how the abilties fuction, while i am talking on how they look an feel while in combat. For me playing either a blood or choas dps-mage felt too similar as both apply a condition an than gain a buff or aguement to their abilties. But as i said above a blood mage-healer would largely shield their target an heal an that is well the sole focus of the blood healing. I think they could have added more depth an veriety to differing schools to make them have more ways of proforming thier duties. Also many fo the elmentalist attacks look much like they were re-skinned from other attacks in the other parts fo the wheel or even school. Like the thor hammer spell (might be wrong ont he name it is an elite skill.) looks rather uniue but feels somewhat similar to the fireball spell look.

There is no difference between Chaos and Blood Mage as a dps-er?

Now I doubt you played it longer than a few hours. 

There is a huge diffference between Chaos and Blood in feel and mechanics. Chaos is almost totally melee-based focused on impairs and high burst instant damage and defense abilities (evade), whereas blood dps is based on ranged - slow affliction (dot) damage and penetration hits. Lots of blood abilities may also be paid by your health-pool instead of the usual resources, whereas chaos is strickly based on resources. Those are two opposing 'schools' in fact in mechanics and in overall feel.

REALITY CHECK

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
         I played TSW for a few hours in beta and hated it....I thought it was one of the worst games I had ever played (and I have nothing against FUncom as I still play AO).....TSW was so bad I wouldn't even bother downloading it if it was free.....SOme people really love this game for some reason and even went as far as paying 200 bucks to a company that many knew was probably on the way out.
  • KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

TSW has a lot to not like for me it was combat, but I never had an issue with the cash shop.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Appearance changes -- there are hundreds of different clothes obtainable ingame without paying anything.

Haircuts - you get 2 free haircut tokens obtainable via missions.

There are a few pets and titles that are shop-exclusive, pretty much equal to WoW.

The shop apart from a few pets does not really offer anything. Most of the people do not use it.

People have been complaining of sub fees of late,so adding EXTRA cost onto sub fees is what the OP is not happy with and i agree 100%.

EVERY single piece of content/asset shoud lbe obtainable to the players who sub.

Where i accept cash shop is IF they are selling laziness but withotu affecting other players in any way.

Example,i don't care if they sell a red shirt for 5 bucks if yo ucan get the same shirt in game>>>>reasonably,so that the cash shop is not forced.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    I played TSW in Beta and while I loved the story and the atmosphere, the combat animations were awful to the point that I couldn't play it more than 20 minutes at a time.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by dannicus
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

What form of physical or mental torture have they used to make you spend more money then the subscription fee?

Nipple clamps?

Playing Rick Astley songs 24/7?

Forcing you to PvP in MO as F2P?

Or are you incapable of moderating yourself?

no but I see this as a bad direction for MMO's in general. It's like Cable TV at one time had no commercials, it was sold as commercial-free tv for a fee but now it's loaded wth commercials and you still pay a fee.

And once again, nobody is forcing anybody to open up their wallets and pay for it.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    YOu think its unethical to allow players to buy GASP cosmetic items? Good lord I guess all f2p games are unethical.  Tsw is IMO one of the best mmos on todays market, a unique setting, skill wheel, actually difficult, good rp features, open world conent, and a fantastic story. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

There is a huge diffference between Chaos and Blood in feel and mechanics. Chaos is almost totally melee-based focused on impairs and high burst instant damage and defense abilities (evade), whereas blood dps is based on ranged - slow affliction (dot) damage and penetration hits. Lots of blood abilities may also be paid by your health-pool instead of the usual resources, whereas chaos is strickly based on resources. Those are two opposing 'schools' in fact in mechanics and in overall feel.

Nice call. So much has been said about this game that isn't even a little true.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by RandomDown

Do we need more people complaining about prices and such? The 15 dollars haven't risen with inflation like everything else so its an understandable way of doing things. 

Do we really need a subscription fee for anything in game? Nope, it's been proven time and time again by two other companies that subscriptions are not only not necessary to run a game and put out content for it and support it, it's not even used for bandwidth costs or server upkeep. So yeah people need to complain about it more.

Just because it hasn't risen doesn't mean it wasn't originally a rip off in the first place, which it is btw. There are plenty of other non-pay to win non-DLC ways of charging people for mmo's that are proven already to be effective money makers.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

no but I see this as a bad direction for MMO's in general. It's like Cable TV at one time had no commercials, it was sold as commercial-free tv for a fee but now it's loaded wth commercials and you still pay a fee.

No. You can always decide NOT to subscribe to cable tv. It is not a necessity, nor a right to watch cable tv, you know.

I know we all want stuff for nothing. But don't you think the cable company has the right to charge whatever they want, and run their business anyway they want (say with commercial)? You can always decide not to do business with them.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    With the pace of monthly updates, they can put all the cosmetic items in the shop they want. They just added a Leet pet from AO too, was thinking on getting it.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

It comes down to choice. Some choose to play games with a sub and some don't.

All the "cheap I want to play for free" players need to just be content with what Perfect World has to offer. They have a whole stable of games you can play for free.

Mage means they do not use a weapion, like a sword or gun or such, but use a fetish or a a lighter or use another thing as a focus for thier magic. Second yes one is focused on using affliction, while the other is about well using imparment, but in the end they both are about applying a status (impairment or affliction both have a different effect, but are mandatory to the function of the build at large.), Yes you can use blood abilties at a cost of your own health, which is novel really for a game to do allowing you more room to play. Yet in the end it is the same concept for both you apply your status affect (affliction or impairment) an then spam your attacks gaining buffs an effects passives bassed on what happens with your abilties. You are still talking about how the abilties function not the fact that the combat is simplistic in that you move out of issue areas, or dodge attack, apply your status affects, and spam your abilties on the run (unless you have a channel or attack that needs you to stand still.). In many ways this is true of all the schools that you apply your status, spam your attack, and gain buffs from your attacks based on crit/pentrating with hits or applying more status effect. All this is also done with movement happening alot as a important factor, and so i am not surprized the system is pretty simple in what you do in combat.

Originally posted by itgrowls

Do we need more people complaining about prices and such? The 15 dollars haven't risen with inflation like everything else so its an understandable way of doing things. 

Do we really need a subscription fee for anything in game? Nope, it's been proven time and time again by two other companies that subscriptions are not only not necessary to run a game and put out content for it and support it, it's not even used for bandwidth costs or server upkeep. So yeah people need to complain about it more.

Just because it hasn't risen doesn't mean it wasn't originally a rip off in the first place, which it is btw. There are plenty of other non-pay to win non-DLC ways of charging people for mmo's that are proven already to be effective money makers.

Why is that? because they do not want to put forth the  money to play a game  that will cost them quite little per-day to play? That the sub cost denies them entry into the game, because they do not wish to pay for the sub? That they are okay with paying or haviing others pay in teh shop  to have them play the game? Someone is going to be paying money to keep the game running, and to pay bills, employees, equipment, and just profit for the company (i mean that is what they do is make profoit, not debt or atleast that is the idea.). Sub, F2P, B2P, or what not are all good options for the devs gain money to pay for the work they put intot he game you play, along with the cash-shop to reward the player for paying more than they already have for more products from them, but to say that one of those methods should not be used or is unethical or wrong is in itself wrong.

Also go find a deal for entertainment that is better than what you pay by day or hour of play you gain by paying 15 dallors a month for a game.  Which is mind you like paying 50 cents a day to watch any movie in a theater whenever you like, for largely how ever long you like (save for afew hours each week to do maitance on the game.). So no really it is not a rip off unless you play less than an certain amount per day or month, and at which point you can un-sub from it and save that money.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

I just started playing this game, it has some nice features but so far little to none group involvement and it's pretty boring. Anyway I'm sure the game becomes more interesting and group involvement as you play but the issue that bothers me is the combination of an item-mall and a pay to play subscription. 

Not only is the game about 15 dollars a month but many of the appearance changes, titles, pets, wardrobe and even a haircut cost extra real life cash. That to me is ridiculous and unethical capitalism. This game is definitely not worth it when it cost you over a dollar USD just to change your toons lipstick.

Shame on Funcom.

I'd like all the people complaining about TSW's cash shop to raise their hands if they play WoW.  Because TSW has EXACTLY the same model -- sub with all cosmetics, pets and no "pay to win" store.  Not even XP buffs.  Here's WoW's cash shop, if you don't believe they have one:  

http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=c:5,c:33

So, if you play WoW and complain about TSW's shop, you're a hypocrite.  You're allowed to bitch and moan about all cash shops (and be pure and holy) if you cancel your WoW sub immediately.  

As far as grouping goes, there's plenty of ways to find people -- cabals, the forums, group chat in Agartha, PvP.  It's the same as any other MMO, if you speak up, you'll find friends quickly.

...unless you have a channel or attack that needs you to stand still.). In many ways this is true of all the schools that you apply your status, spam your attack, and gain buffs from your attacks based on crit/pentrating with hits or applying more status effect. All this is also done with movement happening alot as a important factor, and so i am not surprized the system is pretty simple in what you do in combat.

Unfortunatly, you're wrong and it further proves you haven't really played the game apart from a few hours from the early beta. There is not a single ability in the entire game, during which you need to stand still. All channelling abilities -- and I mean all -- allow you to move around while you cast them.

No point talking about the other parts. If you think that Chaos Mage that is a melee based spec with high survivability and impairs (i.e. stuns) and high burst damage and Blood Mage that is a ranged based spec with slow dot afflictions and penetration effects are the same, just because they both apply some debuffing status, then there is hardly any open ground for further discussion.

REALITY CHECK

...unless you have a channel or attack that needs you to stand still.). In many ways this is true of all the schools that you apply your status, spam your attack, and gain buffs from your attacks based on crit/pentrating with hits or applying more status effect. All this is also done with movement happening alot as a important factor, and so i am not surprized the system is pretty simple in what you do in combat.

Unfortunatly, you're wrong and it further proves you haven't really played the game apart from a few hours from the early beta. There is not a single ability in the entire game, during which you need to stand still. All channelling abilities -- and I mean all -- allow you to move around while you cast them.

No point talking about the other parts. If you think that Chaos Mage that is a melee based spec with high survivability and impairs (i.e. stuns) and high burst damage and Blood Mage that is a ranged based spec with slow dot afflictions and penetration effects are the same, just because they both apply some debuffing status, then there is hardly any open ground for further discussion.

In 100% agreement with you about the combat itself -- lots of variety and chances to use different tactics as the situation requires.  Many never understood it with a short play during beta.

I think he really just doesn't like the animations -- which is fair; I think they're good and match the setting, but he's entitled to his opinion.

Originally posted by erictlewis

It was fine until I got to transilvania, at that point it became what kind of content to repeat every 3 days, while grinding out the wheel. 

Combat animations were boorking and half the time my toon with AR looked like his hands were empty and playing air guitar.  Then you load up fist weapons and it was the same 3 animations.  

So yes the game was good for a couple of months after that well it became a repeatable grind, and this so called stuff the added like the theater, did nothing to entice me to come back to play.  They honestly need a lot more content.   The rocket launcher mission only took 1 hour and boom done, then just more grind on the wheel, I am sure the chainsaw was the same.

If you like repeatable daily grinds then you will love this game otherwise stay away. 

If you're a content locust, then yes, stay away from TSW.  It's not a game to be rushed through.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by itgrowls

well, do the math.

given salaries. bonuses, rent, insurance, legeal fees, equipment, maintenance contracts, taxes, recruiting costs, and all the little fees that go into keeping a game business (or ANY business) afloat, charging "nothing" per month and expecting the company to thrive just might not do it. And I imagine there are still some bandwidth costs. Oh and employee benefits to boot.

So what do they do without a sub? they implement the cash shop which only a small amount of players will use regularly.

Even Aion is having a bad time of it because it's not bringing in the money that they hope it would with their cash shop.

And think of it this way, if you sell a game that is supposed to be around for a while and because the initial sales aren't great they can't cover costs, let alone initial investment then they are going to have to shut down and you essentially have a bunch of players who paid their box costs for not much longevity. So the monthly fee helps with keeping that game around.

In any event even GW2 has it's cash shop, so it's not all about box fees. The hope is that over time enough will use it. The hope. Not that i think GW2 will "go under" but I'm curious to see what they start offering over time.

And as I recall in an interview one of the reasons they didn't continue aggressivley putting out guild wars expansions was because, with all the changes to the game in each iteration, it was becoming too expensive to continue in the manner they were working. That was one of the things that started the whole "hey, we could make a sequel and make some changes that would make it more financially viable to develop."

But, in the end, there are only enough sunglasses and armor skins that players will buy.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo