Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xsyon: Prelude: Now Free to Play

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Xsyon team has announced that Xsyon: Prelude is now free to play for new and returning players. The move coincides with the launch of the Kickstarter campaign to fund the next part of the game, Xsyon: Apocalypse and to bring Prelude to a "gold" state.

All new and returning players are welcome to join the world of Xsyon on the Main Server for Free! Limitations on Free Play accounts are posted here.
We're looking forward to new phase of Xsyon. See you in game!            

Find out more at the link above!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• natonnnatonn Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Some have mixed feelings about this ;) I think it's great during the Kickstarter phase.  Go take the live server for a spin!
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

humm cant create tribes..

I dont think you can start building anything unless you claim the land as a tribe.. so basically you have to join an established tribe and ask if its ok for you to build on their land even tho you add nothing to their tribe size..

so you can walk around and harvest stuff :)

still it at lerast gives someone an idea of what the game will be like..

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I encourage anyone that is a sandbox fan to try this game out. In my opinion, this game is a great example of some of the best and worst of sandbox MMO design. There's plenty to love, some to be frustrated by, and a good bit to hate but there is certainly a good bit there to play around with.

At the price of FREE there's no excuse not to give this a try just to see what it's all about.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116
    I am a sandbox lover since 1997, I will try this out and see how it feels.
  • kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    It's still long ways from perfect but it'll be great when it'll be "finished" by 2030.
  • EyesgoodEyesgood Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I have premied this game and played on two separate occassions.  It is a great sandbox village builder at the moment, but not much more than that.  The last time I played, about two months ago, the game still lacked core game features, especially in the area of trade and commerce.  There is no ingame currency standard.  Also, there are no trader or merchant NPCs.  There is no mail system.  This means all trade is done player to player, with both having to meet face to face to trade on whatever terms agreed upon.  Some like that, but I think a mailbox system, player owned NPC merchants and a standard currency is a must for this game to move forward.  So as i see it, it's a fantastic village building game - no doubt about it.  But that's really about all it is at this point.  The restrictions listed on the free to play link are just ridiculous.  Being a village building game, free to play players will not be able to build anything - so why invite them?  They will just exist in the world and must join some existing village.  In my humble opinion, the kickstarter (set with an outragous goal that will never be reached) coupled with lame attempts to build the playerbase (weekly scrub of test server BUT FREE, free to play on live server BUT NOT TO BUILD)  is just another example of game developers who are out of touch with reality.  Don't bother telling people they can play for free and then kick them in the stomach.  And don't get greedy with the Kickstarter.  Better to aim low and exceed expectation than to aim too high and completely fail.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Cool news.  Looking forward to checking it out.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Skills locked at 30. What is max?
  • SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by Eyesgood
    I have premied this game and played on two separate occassions.  It is a great sandbox village builder at the moment, but not much more than that.  The last time I played, about two months ago, the game still lacked core game features, especially in the area of trade and commerce.  There is no ingame currency standard.  Also, there are no trader or merchant NPCs.  There is no mail system.  This means all trade is done player to player, with both having to meet face to face to trade on whatever terms agreed upon.  Some like that, but I think a mailbox system, player owned NPC merchants and a standard currency is a must for this game to move forward.  So as i see it, it's a fantastic village building game - no doubt about it.  But that's really about all it is at this point.  The restrictions listed on the free to play link are just ridiculous.  Being a village building game, free to play players will not be able to build anything - so why invite them?  They will just exist in the world and must join some existing village.  In my humble opinion, the kickstarter (set with an outragous goal that will never be reached) coupled with lame attempts to build the playerbase (weekly scrub of test server BUT FREE, free to play on live server BUT NOT TO BUILD)  is just another example of game developers who are out of touch with reality.  Don't bother telling people they can play for free and then kick them in the stomach.  And don't get greedy with the Kickstarter.  Better to aim low and exceed expectation than to aim too high and completely fail.

I understand what you're saying but this game is suppose to be the very start of re-building civilization.  If it were "The Postman Online" like the movie then yes. (actually The Postman world would make a good MMO ..i guess..lol)

In my opinion there should be no NPC vendors or mail system. That should be created by the playerbase. Maybe one player could be the Postman or a tribe dedicated to carrying communications through the harsh setting. Then maybe individual and tribes of merchants that set up the market economy. Likely it would be a barter economy until eventually a common currency would develop..maybe those useless bottle caps lol.

This is all hard..I know..until a decent population forms.

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116

Not a good sign, I began patching the client which is 2 gb ... it got about 75% done and I closed the window on accident and when I re-launched the client it started the download over again from the beginning :(

I take that back, after closer inspection it seems the download bar started over but the size of the download now shows a smaller size. Its an odd way of handling a resume but I'll take it.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554
    This F2P is more like a demo, seems they took the same path as MO and made the F2P w complete waste of time unless you plan on subbing, i mean skill cap of 30? thats horrible, you cant get anything done with a skill cap of 30 in this game.

So for any wanting to test it out, i suggest you move on.
    Originally posted by SalivalMundane
    This F2P is more like a demo, seems they took the same path as MO and made the F2P w complete waste of time unless you plan on subbing, i mean skill cap of 30? thats horrible, you cant get anything done with a skill cap of 30 in this game. So for any wanting to test it out, i suggest you move on.

The wonderful thing about the free trial is that it was in response to feedback provided. If you think  that 30 is too low, submit feedback :)  It's the best way to accomplish something... I'd also post it on the xsyon forums as I'm sure there's more likely hood that it'll be read by someone important there.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    No leveling up for free players? I don't know how the game works, but that seems kind of goofy. I assume leveling up doesn't do much? Or maybe this is a glorified free trial.
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    Skills locked at 30. What is max?

Sorry Lahuzer - I've been trying to reply to this for a while - 100 is the max.

Originally posted by jinxxed0
    No leveling up for free players? I don't know how the game works, but that seems kind of goofy. I assume leveling up doesn't do much? Or maybe this is a glorified free trial.

The only purpose levels serve is to get free skill points to assign to skills. So this means you don't get those. No big deal. Leveling serves no other purpose... it used to increase your HP. No more :)

• wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127
    Two years too late
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

• Released and sold two years ago

• Kickstarter two years later

• Becomes "free" to play

So much potential, so much fail.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• nkitznkitz Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by natonn
    Originally posted by jinxxed0

The only purpose levels serve is to get free skill points to assign to skills. So this means you don't get those. No big deal. Leveling serves no other purpose... it used to increase your HP. No more :)

Actually you get the xp but you just won't be able to use it unless you sub but you don't waste your time.

Eyesgood is a wurm player so I assume he is just trying to put this down so people don't try it and stick with wurm.

• EyesgoodEyesgood Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Originally posted by nkitz

Eyesgood is a wurm player so I assume he is just trying to put this down so people don't try it and stick with wurm.

I am a Wurm player and have never hidden that fact. :) However, I also try other games as any good sandboxer would.  My comments about Xsyon come from my own personal experience.  Hey, I purchased Xsyon.  I payed for two months of premium time, and I joined a village and tried to make a go of it.  The facts of my statements are verifyable and in no way are meant to demote one game to promote another.  Truth be told, when I first found Xsyon, I posted on the Wurm forums Woodscrap about it.  I was excited because I saw potential.  I still see potential.  I wish the game all success, I really do.  But as long as the Xsyon developers insist on leaving out core game features needed by every sandbox game, Xsyon will only ever have a tiny playerbase.

• nkitznkitz Member Posts: 69
    Farming, cooking, and the like are all coming probably next round. These should give you the basics you want to see.
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    @natonn Thx. But that was rly low. People complain that MOs 60 cap, outa 100 is low. 30 outa 100 is beyond bad. How on earth could you ever make anything usefull with that low skillcap? I sure hope they raise it to MOs lvls at least. Dunno if they av skillpoint pool as in MO as well? MO has 1100 SP. Or can you learn evrything on one character like in DF1? I hope they have a skillcap at least.