Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Level 80, Now What?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the age-old questions in MMO-ville is what are we supposed to do when we hit the level cap? In today's Guild Wars 2 column, we offer a few suggestions that might keep people interested and coming back for more. Read on and then add your thoughts in the comments.

Are there enough choices?  Can we progress our characters story the way we want?  For some, the dialogue choices that are available aren't always what we want to say.  At times we wish we could act rather than talk.  It would also be nice to see some of my past choices come back to haunt me more, both in story and in the PvE world.   While we do see some decisions affect us, there needs to be more.  I want the NPCs to really react to my character.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Level 80, Now What?.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s always awesome to have a sweet sword that 3 times the size as my character. I just want new skills to use that sword in new ways.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Leveling is way way too fast for the amount of things they offer for you to do when you can't level any longer.

Joined - July 2004

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Leveling is way way too fast for the amount of things they offer for you to do when you can't level any longer.

I disagree. This is an antithesis of GW2. They want there to be a decent amount of vertical progression because people do like feeling their characters gettign stronger: this is why there's 80 levels. But a bunch of content should not be excluded to level 80's only as the game's primary goal is to have fun. Minimal gating and content exclusion. This is why SPvP, WvW, all implemented and planned activities, as well as holiday events and one time off events (Karka) are accessible at level 2. 

• i would love for GW2 to have a housing system in place. being able to craft up items for housing would make crafting worth while, while at the same time giving us something to do. making large scale guild housing would be amazing as well.

i put in about 600 hours over 8 toons and have a hard time logging in now. there just isn't enough content to keep me playing like i would in other mmos. i'm not saying i wasted the 60$ i spent on the game (great price for that much quality gametime), but i do wish they would add more content to the game and soon.

once you hit cap, hit 100% map, get your gear sets and legendary, all we can really do now is sPvP, WvW, and fractal and achiev farming (lame). the thing that really sucks for me is i'm having a really hard time playing other games from being spoiled in GW2. the quality of life and normal features in the game have made is so i'm not enjoying my time in my normal games i've been playing. every game i normally play just feels very old and out dated to me now and that's really frusterating. i almost wish i had never played GW2 because of this.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

As usual, another MMO company caters to the "ez-mode" crowd and make the game too easy to level up. Even the casual player hit max way too soon. 

First poster is correct.

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189
    What would happen if they made leveling longer ? redoing the same content over and over ? doesnt seem like a solution to me.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle

i would love for GW2 to have a housing system in place. being able to craft up items for housing would make crafting worth while, while at the same time giving us something to do. making large scale guild housing would be amazing as well.

i put in about 600 hours over 8 toons and have a hard time logging in now. there just isn't enough content to keep me playing like i would in other mmos. i'm not saying i wasted the 60$ i spent on the game (great price for that much quality gametime), but i do wish they would add more content to the game and soon.

once you hit cap, hit 100% map, get your gear sets and legendary, all we can really do now is sPvP, WvW, and fractal and achiev farming (lame). the thing that really sucks for me is i'm having a really hard time playing other games from being spoiled in GW2. the quality of life and normal features in the game have made is so i'm not enjoying my time in my normal games i've been playing. every game i normally play just feels very old and out dated to me now and that's really frusterating. i almost wish i had never played GW2 because of this.

600 hours in 3 months? that is 6-7 hours a day every day. No wonder why you are burned out.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

http://guildwars2hub.com/features/editorials/80-things-do-level-80

That's to get you started, if you can't come up with your own ideas :P heheheh

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle

i would love for GW2 to have a housing system in place. being able to craft up items for housing would make crafting worth while, while at the same time giving us something to do. making large scale guild housing would be amazing as well.

600 hours in 3 months? that is 6-7 hours a day every day. No wonder why you are burned out.

didn't say i was burned out, just nothin to do in game. i have zero reason to run 5 mans as i don't need the gear. the fractals were cool, but not something fun to farm over and over and over. can only do so much WvW and sPvP.

i was blown up in iraq. spine is jacked up and prevents me from moving so i tend to play a lot of mmos. during those 600 hours i split my time up between a few different games (console and online), tv/movies. it wasn't like i rocked 600 hours strait with no sleep or anything.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

I have a level 80 engineer which i do fractals + and explr dungeons with...

a level 51 mesmer todo holiday events and jumping puzzles with

a level 60 guardian todo spvp n wvwv

a level 46 necro for wvwv  fun & personal story

and a level 31 thief for personal story...

choices in this game are endless...

perhaps doing all these different classes were not intended for a level cap-but they are all so awsome u cant help mix it up a bit while playing GW2.
    -thats the beauty of it.

and my world map discovery is still about 57%...iam having a blast, theres always something for me to find and do at level 80 engi...always!

although iam hoping they will sell in the shop aditional house of order - personal quests expansions for level80' s -that would be sweet!

i will not count my hours ive spent in this awsome game- LOL!

• Originally posted by orbitxo

I have a level 80 engineer which i do fractals + and explr dungeons with...

a level 51 mesmer todo holiday events and jumping puzzles with

a level 60 guardian todo spvp n wvwv

a level 46 necro for wvwv  fun & personal story

and a level 31 thief for personal story...

choices in this game are endless...

perhaps doing all these different classes were not intended for a level cap-but they are all so awsome u cant help mix it up a bit while playing GW2.
    -thats the beauty of it.

and my world map discovery is still about 57%...iam having a blast, theres always something for me to find and do at level 80 engi...always!

although iam hoping they will sell in the shop aditional house of order - personal quests expansions for level80' s -that would be sweet!

i will not count my hours ive spent in this awsome game- LOL!

don't have to count. /age gives it to you.

the comment about the personal story through the cash shop is an idea though. i loved the personal stories in game. one of the first things i did when looking for things to do was knock out all of the story lines from the different races and factions (all the story achievs). i think they did a pretty good job overall on the stories.

my toon roster constists of all 8 classes with most higher levels or 80. i wouldn't say the choices are endless.

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

The main reason why I got bored at 80 was not because of the lack of gear progression of stats but because of the way they set it up to to have three different games ( pve, spvp and WvW ) Even if they used only cosmetic gear to connect the three I think it would have been much better.  Right now the game seems fragmented too much.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Nevulus

As usual, another MMO company caters to the "ez-mode" crowd and make the game too easy to level up. Even the casual player hit max way too soon. 

First poster is correct.

Lolno.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Nevulus

First poster is correct.

As usual, a person who has not played the game talking about things he knows not. I have one character at lvl 80 and that is at 200 hrs or so - that is NOT too soon. How long would you like it to take? A.Net just made leveling linear not logirthmic like most games.

• jott14jott14 Member Posts: 3
    I wish Guildwars2 have Guild Wars, not only pvp and World vs world. this game very fast to hit max level. Got bored not challenging game, gears not good in pvp you get same gear like other players.
  • RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 130
    When most hit 80, they will up it to 90, then later to 100, and so it goes....
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by korent1991

http://guildwars2hub.com/features/editorials/80-things-do-level-80

That's to get you started, if you can't come up with your own ideas :P heheheh

Well at least it is being fair saying "things".

One reads that and you can categorize it into

• pvp
    • grind gold
    • dungeons
    • grind gold
    • achievements
    • grind gold

So basically, same shiitake mushrooms you can do in any other MMO.

• KeegarKeegar Member UncommonPosts: 19

the armor picture: what I noticed for my character? 

Level 1: Robe

Level 40: Still the same robe, oh wait, it's changed color!

Originally posted by Keegar

the armor picture: what I noticed for my character? 

Level 1: Robe

Level 40: Still the same robe, oh wait, it's changed color!

sounds like a lazy play style imo . many players want everything handed to them instead of finding or figuring out what works- or in this case  LOOKS best for you while playing and getting your rewards.

i wont go into details how to get skins to look different per level-but they are out there.

<.<

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase!  If a sense of progression is the only thing that lets you enjoy a game, then you should be playing WOW and not GW2...
    Originally posted by NBlitz

..but better graphics- better story- better company.

<.<

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Originally posted by SQTO
    What would happen if they made leveling longer ? redoing the same content over and over ? doesnt seem like a solution to me.

Would give them time to add more content instead of everyone being at max level and doing what you said, redoing the same content.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

That’s the question I asked myself after I hit 80 shortly before I uninstalled.

I found the game very shallow progression wise which let’s face it is why most people play mmo’s to advance their character in some form even after hitting the level cap.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by orbitxo
    Originally posted by NBlitz

..but better graphics

Highly subjective.

- better story-

Highly subjective. Why? Many have played the game.

better company.

<.<

How's their customer service working out?

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by SQTO

Well, isn't that basically what you do anyway?  DEs are basically the same, vistas, well they are all the same...  WvWvW is Zerg fest over and over again, oh wait a minute, they switch the servers around so it is different every week...  I see the errors of my ways, GW2 is totally different.  I mean you don't even use the same skills at level 80 that you did at level 30.  

Every game rehashes the same content over again, the trick is to make it fun and the leveling in GW2 is too fast in my book as well, but to each their own.

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249

"After max level in Guild Wars, skills helped you progress your characters abilities, but for Guild Wars 2 there's nothing in place for this feeling of progression."

Totally agree!

I really miss the skills progression in GW1, after all... this was what kept me playing the game thru out the years. When I finished and maxed out everything with one character, I created new characters just to explore the skills for each one of them and man, there were lots and lots to explore and it was very interesting. I often find myself spending hours trying to learn the skills and builds and test them out for each professions. But in GW2, this part is misising...why..oh why...? 

Arenanet, please do something about this.